test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Missing Textures/Icons in season 8 *FIX INCOMING See post 608 page 61*

Comments

• litchy74litchy74 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    New patch still the same problem, will this texture problem ever be fixed......!?
    Where ever you go, there you are.......

Join The Space Invaders,..... Federation and KDF fleets.
  • litchy74litchy74 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    New patch still the same problem, let's hope S9 magically fixes what the devs can't even find:confused:

Ohh and getting loads on server disconnects today, maybe down to first day of first contact event...
    Where ever you go, there you are.......

Join The Space Invaders,..... Federation and KDF fleets.
  • crypticcliffcrypticcliff Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hey guys. We found the bug. Fix incoming.

You can also use this command in the chat window to work around the problem for now:
    /tex_memory_unload_threshold 200000000

(Number may require tweaking.)

This was a really nasty one to track down!

Obligatory: http://i.imgur.com/vwMin.gif
  • crownvic351crownvic351 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hey the news is not all bad!!!! Now you can have pretty toons to look at while your gpu is trying to decipher jibberish coding that they put in the game at season 8..... I mean what is wrong with you people!!??? Do you want to actually play the game how it ran pre season 8? What I mean by that is it ran fairly smooth and you could actually do ground missions and all the space stf's with out awful gpu load drops to 0%..... Yeah that SUCKED being able to play all the content with out massive fps and gpu load drops.... It's working as intended, if that's what you want to call working.... They wont do anything about it because it costs to much to fix what they screwed up.. Its cheaper to make it look dam pretty than it is to make it functional!!!! Woo hoo now a revamped ESD that I can enjoy while my gpu is trying to figure out the garbage coding..

Their pre season 8 coding was a nice sober person talking to you... You could understand it and work with it... Now their improved coding is a really drunk person just blabbering on slurring words and passing out randomly then being woken up..... Yeah if my computer was drunk it could probably understand the coding!!!!!!
  • straengestraenge Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Thank you very much, Cliff! And yes, the command line works for myself, at least. Finally, I can play longer than an hour without having to restart.
  • neok182neok182 Member Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Does anyone know if this situation and it's fix includes the white mogh armor textures or the white fed emblem textures on ships?
    ACCESS DENIED
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Couldn't have put it better, aside from perhaps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J6-3l3hCm0
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014

You can also use this command in the chat window to work around the problem for now:

You. YOU! YOU BEAUTIFUL MAN YOU!! You and everyone who worked to find this. THANK YOU SO MUCH. I was seriously reaching critical patience loss after a bad series of this last night. Now that I know you guys have this in hand, I'll chill out and back off.

I know I got really nasty toward you guys in this thread, but it was more just venting my frustration than actual hate at any of you. Having to restart my client every 20 mins for the last few months was probably one of the most frustrating gaming experiences I've ever had. But again, thank you so much for sticking it out, tracking it down, and getting a fix for it. You have no idea how much easier you just made my STO life haha.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited April 2014
    Also who edited the thread title? On default forum settings, Cliff's post is post #608 on page 61. Where did 509 on page 11 come from?
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Yea, happy happy happy :D

Can I just ask if putting this in has to be done each time I play, or will this command change the stored program itself?

Either way yea a fix, :D
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • caveelcaveel Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Do we have a fix for hair transporting before body yet then...
  • cpthardcovercpthardcover Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I'd upgrade that GIF to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usfiAsWR4qU
    edited April 2014
    mjarbar wrote: »
    Yea, happy happy happy :D

Can I just ask if putting this in has to be done each time I play, or will this command change the stored program itself?

Either way yea a fix, :D

Until the fix goes live, it has to be done each time you play. It's not something that gets saved to the settings. Sorry. D:

I'm just thankful that some of our graphics debugging and tuning commands were set up so that players still had access to them.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Huzzah! :D
    edited April 2014
    Okay cool, that debug command does seem to work. Huzzah! What range should I be tweaking that number though? Higher? Lower? How much do I tweak it? The command as is definitely lessened the frequency of the bug, but I do still get it. Not complaining though since I know a permanent fix is coming, but just curious how I can tweak it a bit until that comes down.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited April 2014
    Until the fix goes live, it has to be done each time you play. It's not something that gets saved to the settings. Sorry. D:

I'm just thankful that some of our graphics debugging and tuning commands were set up so that players still had access to them.

Not a problem at all, just so I know to put it in and once again many thanks.

:D
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    edited April 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    Okay cool, that debug command does seem to work. Huzzah! What range should I be tweaking that number though? Higher? Lower? How much do I tweak it? The command as is definitely lessened the frequency of the bug, but I do still get it. Not complaining though since I know a permanent fix is coming, but just curious how I can tweak it a bit until that comes down.

I think as the number is a memory size at when to reset I would say lower it to increase the frequency that it will reset and so eliminate the problem.
    hZbIdbh.jpg
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    Also who edited the thread title? On default forum settings, Cliff's post is post #608 on page 61. Where did 509 on page 11 come from?

It was until the other major thread got merged lol.

Topic edited.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited April 2014

awesome :P:P:P
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2014

*faints* :P

Joking aside, it's a huge relief to hear this. :) I've almost given up on a fix. :o
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited April 2014
    So it looks like this issue can affect pretty much everyone. It's much less likely (or takes much longer) to show up on 64-bit systems than on 32-bit systems, and the console command I specified really just makes the 32-bit systems act a little more like the 64-bit systems. That's to address those still seeing the issue after a while, and the people on 64-bit that were seeing it now and then.

My fix should make the problem go away completely. I'll try to keep you all up-to-date on when it's going to make it into a patch.

As far as the number in the console command: Lower numbers mean less occurrence of the bug but more loading/unloading textures, which might make things slow and/or ugly. It's still possible, after tweaking that value, to see the issue happen, but it should take much longer to get to the point where it starts showing up.
    edited April 2014
    That makes sense. Back when this all started, we had a running hypothesis that it was a 32bit system problem due to how many of us there were. It wasn't until later on that 64bit people started trickling in.

And yeah, fiddling with that command line number did the trick. I still get the bug, but now it's around 2-3 hours instead of 20 mins. It also doesn't happen with the same severity. I haven't seen blinding white space yet, just the simple blocky textures. Much, much more tolerable now. At least until your fix goes out. Thanks again Cliff.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So it looks like this issue can affect pretty much everyone. It's much less likely (or takes much longer) to show up on 64-bit systems than on 32-bit systems, and the console command I specified really just makes the 32-bit systems act a little more like the 64-bit systems. That's to address those still seeing the issue after a while, and the people on 64-bit that were seeing it now and then.

64-bit system here, and I was seeing it every now and then. Hopefully the command fixes it.

(if you're wondering, AMD Phenom II X4, Radeon HD 5850, Win7)
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited April 2014

My fix should make the problem go away completely. I'll try to keep you all up-to-date on when it's going to make it into a patch.

As far as the number in the console command: Lower numbers mean less occurrence of the bug but more loading/unloading textures, which might make things slow and/or ugly. It's still possible, after tweaking that value, to see the issue happen, but it should take much longer to get to the point where it starts showing up.

I suspect that I was right about the root cause. Since 32 bit systems are limited to 3 gig of ram, the amount of textures that could stay in volatile memory was more limited. With each additional sector change and resulting texture load, the amount stored reached an upper limit that was not being cleared properly.

64 bit systems saw it less often because they can map more memory. But a 64 bit system with a small ram amount (say 2 gigs) would see it as often as a 32 bit system.

It was basically an issue with the client being unable to recall the textures because the system had to unload them from memory and the client was only trying to recall them from memory instead of looking back through the hard disk.

Sound about right?

But honestly, thanks for the fix. If it works out (albeit a bit late) youll definitely have my gratitude.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If anything, I am happy that the workaround command works, most of the time. I can finally travel through several sectors doing doff missions without having to restart the game every 10 minutes.

I hope the live fix will sort this out completely. A bit late (almost half a year), but I'm still happy you managed to track this one down eventually.

(Although with Season 9 incoming I'm kind of worried what new bugs and issues await us, considering some graphics settings on Tribble are already problematic).
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited April 2014
    Pretty sad when it has come to be known as "season 8" bug, when season 8 rolled out 6 months ago.

but so far the fix mentioned in page 61, post #608 seems to be working. I hope they roll the fix out before season 9, so we can confirm it resolves our issues before they introduce more potential errors. ;)
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Very grateful for the incoming fix Cliff. We've been starved of feedback on this for a while and we were beginning to wonder if this would be resolved.

Nice work.:D
    server_hamster6.png
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    caveel wrote: »
    Do we have a fix for hair transporting before body yet then...

Yes its called use a shuttle :D

Sorry...couldn't resist that :D
    server_hamster6.png
  • dragonseye1138dragonseye1138 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm glad to see the Cryptic had finally decided that this issue is in fact real and that we're not all delusional, but I will withhold judgement until the patch goes live and we see if it actually fixes anything.

Given Cryptic's track record on such things in the past, the first patch will likely not fix the issue at all, then they will release a second patch to fix the first one, and that patch won't work either, but they will insist that it does, and then they will release a third patch for a completely unrelated issue and this issue will be repaired in the process.

That being said, I would love to be proven wrong in the above case, because if I'm wrong, I win.
    Q is a Magical Girl.
  • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hey the news is not all bad!!!! Now you can have pretty toons to look at while your gpu is trying to decipher jibberish coding that they put in the game at season 8..... I mean what is wrong with you people!!??? Do you want to actually play the game how it ran pre season 8? What I mean by that is it ran fairly smooth and you could actually do ground missions and all the space stf's with out awful gpu load drops to 0%..... Yeah that SUCKED being able to play all the content with out massive fps and gpu load drops.... It's working as intended, if that's what you want to call working.... They wont do anything about it because it costs to much to fix what they screwed up.. Its cheaper to make it look dam pretty than it is to make it functional!!!! Woo hoo now a revamped ESD that I can enjoy while my gpu is trying to figure out the garbage coding..

Their pre season 8 coding was a nice sober person talking to you... You could understand it and work with it... Now their improved coding is a really drunk person just blabbering on slurring words and passing out randomly then being woken up..... Yeah if my computer was drunk it could probably understand the coding!!!!!!

Bahahaha Love it :)
    My mind wanders to the thought 'this is what happens when you try to hammer a round piece of software that isn't photoshop into a square mac.'

Now, IF the fix works as intended I'll be very happy indeed. If the fix takes several fixes to fix what the fix broke while maintaining the illusion that the fix did fix what the fix was supposed to fix...I won't be surprised.