Install Arc
Options

Missing Textures/Icons in season 8 *FIX INCOMING See post 608 page 61*

Comments

• Options
    dragonseye1138dragonseye1138 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    myrnwyn wrote: »
    I don't remember when and I don't want to find the thread right now but I remember them posting a few times in at least one thread about this but they could never get it to repro on their test machines. (Edit: whoop, here's the main thread for this issue)

Related to that, I may have accidentally stumbled onto something that alleviates this problem although I haven't had the time to really push my game to see if I can get it to start whiting out again. Still, I've been able to play the over two hours necessary to run the mirror event on 7 characters without it ever happening for four days in a row, so I'd like to see if this clears up the problem for anyone else.

Defragment your hard drive (I used jkdefrag). It's the dumbest thing, but if it works it would explain why they could never get their test machines to white out. My theory would be that, as this problem is the worst in 32bit systems, this happens when the textures get loaded into virtual memory on a fragmented hard drive and the game loses track of where they are/can't load them quickly enough.

Good thought, and if it works for you, great. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work for me, but then again, I have STO installed on a separate HDD from my OS and there may be a disconnect somewhere.
    Q is a Magical Girl.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thank god ESO comes out in two weeks. I am so done with this game, and this is the bug that drove me away. gg cryptic.

Perfectly understandable. Can't blame you for this. What's the point of playing a game, when you....can't play the game?

I don't think there's another even half-serious gaming company on Earth besides Cryptic that would leave a gamebreaking issue like this rampaging for months and pretending it's not happening in hopes it will go away by itself.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    ethoirethoir Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thank god ESO comes out in two weeks. I am so done with this game, and this is the bug that drove me away. gg cryptic.

I hate the bug a whole heck of a lot, I will agree with you there. And they haven't said a bloody thing about it to acknowledge that it exists anywhere on the forums besides a blurb in this thread saying they can't replicate it in-house and the number of people reporting it are "less than a thousand but more than a hundred". They probably do not realize that there may be hundreds more players with this game-breaking bug who do not (or cannot) use the forums so they can't report it. They have to look at the forum thread and think that if a few hundred players so far have reported it on the forums then there may be several hundred or a thousand more people with the issue who can't (or won't) come here to add their voices to our petition for this unacceptable graphics/client issue to be fixed.

I'm waiting for ESO myself in the meantime. But you haven't seen the number of people in ESO's beta that were getting bent out of shape about bugged quests and a whole slew of other problems. Zenimax Online Studios has less than two weeks to fix those bugs before the game launches and at the moment you're trading one bugged game for another buggier game (at least until they are forced to fix the issues in the first month after launch). At least STO I so far more worn and stable due to its age (besides this graphical glitch that's driving us up a wall and with frustration).
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ethoir wrote: »
    I hate the bug a whole heck of a lot, I will agree with you there. And they haven't said a bloody thing about it to acknowledge that it exists anywhere on the forums besides a blurb in this thread saying they can't replicate it in-house and the number of people reporting it are "less than a thousand but more than a hundred". They probably do not realize that there may be hundreds more players with this game-breaking bug who do not (or cannot) use the forums so they can't report it. They have to look at the forum thread and think that if a few hundred players so far have reported it on the forums then there may be several hundred or a thousand more people with the issue who can't (or won't) come here to add their voices to our petition for this unacceptable graphics/client issue to be fixed.

I'm waiting for ESO myself in the meantime. But you haven't seen the number of people in ESO's beta that were getting bent out of shape about bugged quests and a whole slew of other problems. Zenimax Online Studios has less than two weeks to fix those bugs before the game launches and at the moment you're trading one bugged game for another buggier game (at least until they are forced to fix the issues in the first month after launch). At least STO I so far more worn and stable due to its age (besides this graphical glitch that's driving us up a wall and with frustration).

Au contraire, ive been Beta testing ESO since the second weekend session. Its still buggy, but its lightyears polished compared to what I saw back in november.

Just to prove my claim - the best bug ever was the one at the end of coldharbor when you ported into Tamriel for the first time. The pillar of light with the prophet. Only the zone switch was bugging out and crashing the client. Youd have to restart, and when you did youd load back into Coldharbor about 100 feet above the ground, falling screaming to your death.

Another bug related to this was the perpetual respawn where youd hit revive and instead of bringing you back to life there on the floor youd teleport back to the ceiling again, and fall to your demise again.

It was hilarious back in those days, you couldnt even get out of the newbie tutorial.

Most of the really bad bugs are well squashed. The three big ones I saw in the last (and final) beta were the invisible walls and doors in damaged keeps in Cyrodill, the spawning in the floor bug, and the occasional needing to /reloadui while in a crafting station.

otherwise everything I saw was rock solid and worked.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Another bug related to this was the perpetual respawn where youd hit revive and instead of bringing you back to life there on the floor youd teleport back to the ceiling again, and fall to your demise again.

I still think STO is more aged and worn through at the moment. And besides, I can top one of those. I've been in the beta since November and the worst bugs I've seen so far was the lack of an invisible wall in coldharbor (where Molag Bal shows up) to prevent you from accidentally jumping to your death (was seeing if I could get yanked into the sky mid-jump and ended up falling over the edge of the platform. Oops). The top of the list goes to the skill Silver Leash breaking so horribly the game thought it didn't exist and wouldn't let me put it on my skill bar despite having clearly invetsed in it and morphed it from Silver Bolts. Haivng to play a game without one of my go-to skills for stunning daedra and undead is a bad thing.

But lets not get too off topic here. Now instead of textures going missing, I'm seeing face icons for mini-contacts go missing and at some point my client even freezes outright. The freeze usually happens when I hit 1.3 GB of used memory. Bah. I'm trimming some programs to see if this freeze is because other programs are using up memory the game wants or if its just something the game is doing wrong that might be related to it trying to load the textures and taking a dump on itself.
  • Options
    myrnwynmyrnwyn Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Good thought, and if it works for you, great. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work for me, but then again, I have STO installed on a separate HDD from my OS and there may be a disconnect somewhere.

Well *if* I'm right about this it would be more important that the drive your OS is using for virtual memory is defragmented than the drive STO is on.
  • Options
    litchy74litchy74 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm running all of my 10 toons through the mirror event grind, only two are in ESD the rest are scattered in space across the universe, those in sector space ran through to number 8 before the first texture prolem. Next day same toons same starting areas but just happened to start with the two at ESD, the second toon I get missing textures.

With the recent outage being limited to certain areas could these slow loading/mising textures be something to do with the server route to the client?

Anyway 5 months now devs, any news.......:confused:
    Where ever you go, there you are.......

Join The Space Invaders,..... Federation and KDF fleets.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    With the recent outage being limited to certain areas because of routing problems, could our texture problems be linked?

Anyway 5 months and still getting it, get the feeling the devs will never fix this and it will become a feature of the new series,

' to stop people play game to excess we have introduced a feature being tested since season 8, it's a time limiter built into the game which will give you visual clues as to when it's time to make a cup of coffee or go for a pee'

:mad:

• Options
    maddrivermaddriver Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    litchy74 wrote: »
    Anyway 5 months now devs, any news.......:confused:

Free Khan uniform for installing Arc.
    Did you also know that Arc is supposed to improve our gameplay experience ?
    Ignum Campaign NWS-DBBV2EY9G
    "The quest for the Book of Ignum"
    Chapter 1 Path to the Underworld NW-DA4N8EOZD
    "I have seen your future. I have seen your end"
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My gut is telling me that you have told the client to disk cache these final textures and there is nothing telling the client to call them out of cache if system memory has reached a high point (especially under heavy game load).

This would also gel with what used to happen to me before season 8 (which no longer happens, imagine that) my client would full on crash to desktop with an error that said something to the affect of "out of memory for texture xyzblahblah"

More and more I am beginning to agree with my peers here, it is a rampant memory leak, youre caching EVERYTHING to disk, and when our allocation reaches a limit, things just start not loading anymore because they cant (theres no physical RAM left, so nowhere for the cached data to even go).

Have the client order things released from memory, that is the only way youre going to fix this, so long as we are continuously caching every map we load.

Probably. And to elaborate on what I said earlier..
    I've had this issue off and on. It usually seems to happen after a particularly fast loading screen or after a series of rapid loading screens (like transwarp to fleet base, dock, take transporter pad to embassy, take embassy turbolift to a different floor, rapid fire map changes) or if I've been playing all day (not a heat issue but probably a memory issue). Thankfully it's usually small and usually fixed with a map load.

^ That describes my Desktop. I haven't actually seen the bug in a week or two now, I think.

However, during my little Christmas vacation I was limited to a rather old and rather cruddy laptop from 2006.. gotta run everything on half resolution and the lowest possible graphics settings. It took far less time for the graphics bug to kick in on that machine which has olllld specs and far fewer system resources to work with. It was guaranteed to happen after less than 60 minutes of play. BUT, prior to season 8 even the old cruddy laptop did not have this bug. It would just crash if it ran out of system resources, which didn't happen until 2-3 hours of gameplay or more; it ran better back then.

Old Cruddy Laptop:
    CPU: AMD FX-60 dual core
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT mobile running god knows what old version of drivers; the last version they published
    RAM: 2GB DDR2
    HDD: 120GB with only a gig or so free maybe

Desktop that only very rarely gets this bug:
    Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
    CPU: Intel i7 940 (1st gen i7) quad core (hyperthreading on; 8 virtual)
    GPU: ATI Radeon 4870 1GB; catalyst 13.9 (DX9, 10.1)
    RAM: 12GB DDR3 1600mhz
    HDD: 1TB drive that the game is installed on, a few other TB doing other stuff.

Too lazy to look up the size of my page files.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    A question.

Do you all think that this issue, which I agree appears to be a rampant memory leak, could also affect sound?

Over this weekend I noticed more and more that in some circumstances sound would appear very "choppy" and at times some sounds would not be audible, such as one of my captains disruptor rifle.

Now I admit that might be caused by a setting I can change on my rig BUT I've never noticed it so prominent before. It was there in all the Mirror Incursions that I did (usually during very heated battles) and on some ground based foundry missions I ran.

I'm wondering if this problem is creeping through to other sub-systems, as I'm assuming sound files are also cached?
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    nellythelwnellythelw Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    To answer you on the sound, that could be because to many sounds are going on at once and it can't keep up. I do not know the tech explaintion but thats the same thing my two crappy laptops did.

As for the graphics issue, I as well have it. However I am running on 4g ram and a quad core windows 8.1 32bit. I do agree it might be a memory issue and might be upgrading to 64bit soon.

I would like to know if anyone is having this issue (graphics) on a 64bit os system. If so then this problem is not on are end.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    nellythelw wrote: »
    To answer you on the sound, that could be because to many sounds are going on at once and it can't keep up. I do not know the tech explaintion but thats the same thing my two crappy laptops did.

As for the graphics issue, I as well have it. However I am running on 4g ram and a quad core windows 8.1 32bit. I do agree it might be a memory issue and might be upgrading to 64bit soon.

I would like to know if anyone is having this issue (graphics) on a 64bit os system. If so then this problem is not on are end.

I still get it on a 64 bit machine running Windows 8.1 64 bit, but it happens much much later and I would guess that's due to there being more addressable memory available now (4GB in the old 32 bit rig, 8GB in the new rig).
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Well thats really odd, I mean now it happens after about 2-4 hours of gaming and for some reason now it tends to crash more then the all white glowing objects.

When is a tech going to respond to this ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    russellcarussellca Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Affected hardware configurations are listed elsewhere in this parent thread (First page link, mid-thread H/W index only).

NB: Due to the rubbish, new ARC-friendly forum template, hyperlinks may be hidden in white text after navigating to a single post/page link. Once you've followed a link, click on the thread title in the top-right corner; it will then open the full thread centred on the linked post and any embedded hyperlinks will reappear in blue.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    PROBLEM FIXED!!!

Ok heres what I did, I got IObit uninstaller because it has a powerful scan after uninstalling. Pretty much did that and deleted all the files then re installed it through steam (as it was before) and BOOM!

Now she works like a charm now, no more blooming white glows/missing textures...though sometimes she crashes because little memory which is fine...that only happens if I play for like 8 hours.

The problem has something to do with how we install it. When I was installing STO I had like 5 other downloads going on in steam, so do what I did then re install STO by itself and please don't even do anything else till its done and post after testing it out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    PROBLEM FIXED!!!

Ok heres what I did, I got IObit uninstaller because it has a powerful scan after uninstalling. Pretty much did that and deleted all the files then re installed it through steam (as it was before) and BOOM!

Now she works like a charm now, no more blooming white glows/missing textures...though sometimes she crashes because little memory which is fine...that only happens if I play for like 8 hours.

The problem has something to do with how we install it. When I was installing STO I had like 5 other downloads going on in steam, so do what I did then re install STO by itself and please don't even do anything else till its done and post after testing it out.

I have nothing left to lose on this issue and have reached the end of my patience with it. So, what the hell, I'm giving this a shot. Re-installing now, will see how it goes.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    So did it work ?

I still have had no issues as of yet :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Nope, didn't work. Ran around doing doff missions and changing characters for about an hour. Had the bug hit twice in that time span. No change at all for me. Thanks for trying though.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I've already tied the reinstall method, once with the original launcher, then with steam, then via arc then back to steam. Problem still persists.
    Defrag, disk cleans, news drivers, old drivers, closing open program's, changing rights on virus and firewall settings, messed with about every graphic setting in game, the list goes on and on.

With the lack of any meaningfull communication from the devs and the length we have had this problem I really do believe that the devs have washed their hands of this problem and it will never be fixed.:mad:

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Is it bad that I hope the S9 patch hits a whole lot more people with this? That way they won't have a choice but to fix it.

.....yeah that's how bad this is to me. :(
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    Is it bad that I hope the S9 patch hits a whole lot more people with this? That way they won't have a choice but to fix it.

.....yeah that's how bad this is to me. :(

Damn, yea it didn't hit me till a lil while ago...I don't understand why it never happened till now. I mean the moment I went to Dyson it started and now its happening all over again.

Guess we are stuck with it till they care enough, but meh I'll still play and then restart till it happens again. I can't say its that bad unless you are getting it in STF's (i never get it in STF's) at least Cryptic isn't like Hi Rez...those Devs just are bad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Patience is wearing thin for some players due to this blasted bug. No dev response beyond "can't reproduce in-house" is a failure point here.

Its clear there is a problem with the way the client handles the graphics across a number of different hardware configurations (client and hardware mix instead of just a client issue). I can accept that statement. However it has been way too long since we got told anything about what is being done about it. I've been lucky in that I've been keeping my sessions very short so I can do the Mirror Event grind on 7 characters and then log out. This way I've been avoiding being in-game long enough to incur the bug, but I've also seen it freeze outright after leaving said event and usually while I'm moving stuff around in inventory (not related exactly but I do see the client is hogging 1.3 to 1.4 GB of RAM when it locks up like that). The fact I have to keep my sessions short is a bad thing.

I want to play more, but until Cryptic's devs find a solution (and tell us they're working on said solution), I can't. >_<
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I think reinstalling the game was a mistake. It seems to be worse now. I logged in and flew from Sol to the Dyson Sphere. That's it. Went through the gateway to find the sphere all messed up. Ugh. UGH.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Since win 7 is heavy on standby and my machine seemed to not be releasing it, I thought this may be the problem. There's a program called RAMMap that you can use to release standby memory, also you can see which programs are hogging what memory better. Unfortunately, this didn't work.

Went to Zaria to do the mine daily yesterday and lost textures when I zoned into the system. Tried beaming down anyway and they were still gone. Back up and out to Sector Space, they were back. Zoned back and they were gone.

Frustrating indeed!! :(
    lan451 wrote: »
    I think reinstalling the game was a mistake. It seems to be worse now. I logged in and flew from Sol to the Dyson Sphere. That's it. Went through the gateway to find the sphere all messed up. Ugh. UGH.

As nellythelw was saying, reinstalling isn't a fix. It doesn't change the client, or your hardware. It may clean up some older obsolete stuff but it isn't going to really change anything. The Dyson Sphere seems to have a lot to do with it with all of its "new" textures and stuff. But its still unacceptable that we can't enjoy the game because of the missing textures malarkey.
  • Options
    ahat34ahat34 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    new to the game today, and am having this issue…whats taking so long for a fix?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    ahat34 wrote: »
    new to the game today, and am having this issue…whats taking so long for a fix?

Welcome to STO. Sorry to hear you're having this bug right off the bat. The issue is that the last we heard, the devs can't reproduce this issue themselves. Therefore, no fix. :(
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    ethoir wrote: »
    As nellythelw was saying, reinstalling isn't a fix. It doesn't change the client, or your hardware. It may clean up some older obsolete stuff but it isn't going to really change anything. The Dyson Sphere seems to have a lot to do with it with all of its "new" textures and stuff. But its still unacceptable that we can't enjoy the game because of the missing textures malarkey.

Ohhh yes, the Dyson has a lot of "to do with it" issues. If I have been playing already I have to go to the dyson and exit the game then reload to do anything there. Its kind of "I know what I have to do" routine when I want to go there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]