test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Nebula Saucer Seperation

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
You know you've always wanted to see what she looks like under that saucer.

If only there was a way of justifying giving the Nebula, saucer seperation capabilities.

General Nebula Love thread
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What's the point? :confused:
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,449 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    Hate to say it... but I don't think the structure can support that. I would like to see some visible impulse engines though.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I would like to see some visible impulse engines though.

wow...never noticed. good point
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    garside wrote: »
    You know you've always wanted to see what she looks like under that saucer.
    I'm not sure which made me feel dirtier.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Someone came up with this, but I'm not a fan of it. The Nebula shouldn't need it.
    edited March 2014
    bergins wrote: »

Everyone needs a hobby I guess.
    edited March 2014
    Someone came up with this, but I'm not a fan of it. The Nebula shouldn't need it.

That looks incredibly silly.
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    wow...never noticed. good point

Actually, it was designed in canon to have no visible impulse engines. Here's the quote from Memory Alpha:
    A careful inspection of the Nebula-class model reveals that it has no visible impulse engines. In a recent entry on Doug Drexler's weblog, Rick Sternbach indicated that he envisioned the ship's impulse drives as being hidden behind baffles to scatter their signature for stealth reasons. He added that "modern" Starfleet vessel impulse engines operated on little conventional rocket thrust anyways, being more of a sub-warp subspace drive

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Nebula_class#Propulsion_systems

As a Nebula sci captain, I don't really feel the need for a saucer separation on it.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I kinda like that.

I can understand why someone would want a separation ability for the nebula considering it is basically a squashed up galaxy. It's conceivable that it could use that same ability.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • samt296samt296 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Dear God it looks uglier than the Love child of the Jupiter and the Typhoon!

Which than had a love child with the love child of Hilary Clinton and Elton John... Talk about scary ugly!!!:eek:
    "When people ask stupid questions I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers."

Keltoi Class... fan design. You KNOW you want one In-game!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014

Words cannot describe how hideous that thing is! But this comes pretty close...

That ships registration plaque is an apology from the condom factory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    samt296 wrote: »
    Words cannot describe how hideous that thing is! But this comes pretty close...

That ships registration plaque is an apology from the condom factory.

To be honest, I think it's a damn sight better looking then the one in your tag line. That one looks like it was drawn by a six year old.:rolleyes:
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited March 2014
    To be honest, I think it's a damn sight better looking then the one in your tag line. That one looks like it was drawn by a six year old.:rolleyes:

Regardless of your opinion on fan made designs... And that's one of the better ones... It doesn't change the fact that just looking at those pictures made my eyes shrivel up and die.... Does anyone know what the opposite of an TRIBBLE is? :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Does anyone know what the opposite of an TRIBBLE is? :D

Being kicked in the antimatter pods.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Regardless of your opinion on fan made designs... And that's one of the better ones... It doesn't change the fact that just looking at those pictures made my eyes shrivel up and die.... Does anyone know what the opposite of an TRIBBLE is? :D

he is not wrong about your ship thouhg. I won't say it's not good, but I'm happy you're interested in making new ST ships, and encourage yuou to keep practicing.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What's the point? :confused:

Adopting "The Cryptic Way™" and changing random things for no reason while ignoring real issues. :D
  • mondoidmondoid Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    http://www.deviantart.com/art/Gamma-Fleet-Nebula-Class-variant-MSD-402018863

Probably not cannon as it has the ship from Firefly in one of the shuttle bays.
  • phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    guys, i'm know i'm citing "non-canon" sources, but in ST manuals/games like bridge commander, there is a specific mention that the nebula was a "budget" version of the galaxy, and it had no saucer separation/etc, precisely because it was easier to build and saucer separation was "complicated" from an engineering standpoint.

it would also look ugly as hell.

the nebula is fine as it is, its a tanky sci-ship(even though it was refered on the shows as "heavily armed", but welp we can't have everything), it has been also represented in multiple games as a sturdy exploration/scientific-oriented ship.

if anything i believe cryptic should give a few cruiser commands to the nebula since its obviously a sci-cruiser hybrid of sorts.
    edited March 2014
    he is not wrong about your ship thouhg. I won't say it's not good, but I'm happy you're interested in making new ST ships, and encourage yuou to keep practicing.

I appreciate it but I did not design it someone else did... I suck at art. LOL

Whole fan fiction stories have been written about the ship though.

It looks like a futuristic Romulan/ Federation hybrid I think!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just thought I'd throw this out there.

A while back, Star Trek Communicator published an MSD of the Nebula-class (along with some very nice orthographic views!). That MSD featured:
    • A clear separation line between the saucer underside and a round, curved shape that closely resembles the top of the Galaxy's Stardrive Section.
    • A battle bridge, right on top of the "cobra head" separation line.
    • The interior deck arrangement terminated at the separation line. ie, corridors and rooms ended right around where the saucer hull meets the cobra head.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I seem to recall hearing that the original conception for the nebula class was as a recovery vessel for Galaxy-class saucer sections. I know that idea was later scrapped, but I don't think it would be too far a stretch for the Nebula to have separation. I'm pretty sure the Constitution and Excelsior were supposed to have it as well, but never shown for budget reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if the soverign had this feature as well, honestly.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There's always a reliable place to get Free Saucer Separation Service.

By fighting your local, friendly, KDF. We're more than happy to blow away that Saucer from the rest of the ship :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm all for nebula separation. I also think it would look good with the venture skin.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The only reason I liked the idea was for the possibility of a modular approach to spacecraft design, that the Galaxy saucer could plug in to different stardrive configurations for whatever reasons or that there could be alternatives to the saucer for the stardrive to attach to, but beyond that, the Nebula doesn't need Saucer separation, it looks awful and on a science ship what possible function could it serve?
    The only option I might like for the Nebula is to be able to use the Venture costume with it.
    But if for some insane reason Cryptic decides to let us mix and match all of the Galaxy bits together and CBS allows it, what the hell, go nutz.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There's always a reliable place to get Free Saucer Separation Service.

By fighting your local, friendly, KDF. We're more than happy to blow away that Saucer from the rest of the ship :D

*camera shot of Vor'cha, very carefully, firing at the stubby neck of a Nebula*
    Gun crew: "Almost got it..."
    *camera shot of saucer severed from the ship, floating slowly away*
    Gun crew: "Got it!"
    Captain: "Another successful saucer removal!"
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Should do it just to spite people.
    I seem to recall hearing that the original conception for the nebula class was as a recovery vessel for Galaxy-class saucer sections. I know that idea was later scrapped, but I don't think it would be too far a stretch for the Nebula to have separation. I'm pretty sure the Constitution and Excelsior were supposed to have it as well, but never shown for budget reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if the soverign had this feature as well, honestly.

Watch Nebulas that lost their saucer somehow take the Galaxy R's saucer mid combat.

Nebula X!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Dunno about saucer sep, but what about partial cruiser commands, given how its pretty much half-Galaxy anyways? Particularly with how much its fallen behind other sci ships, that would give it an interesting niche.
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    giving the Nebula, saucer seperation capabilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p0OadRapq4
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,449 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    The pre refit Connie was supposed to have Saucer Seperation as an emergency evac thing if I remember correctly from reading somewhere. Explosive bolts would go off, seperating the saucer from the rest of the ship. No way to reattach without a shipyard.

Anyways... when I pointed out the lack of visible impulse engines on the Nebula, I was bringing up the fact that we have impulse trails, but no visible source. They just come off the saucer about where the Galaxy's saucer impulse engines come from.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/nebula/nebula-impulse.jpg
    Couldn't Cryptic just make these spots glow red to represent impulse engines? I mean they did make the Steamrunner have 2 places the engines could be in after all.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)