test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Nebula Saucer Seperation

Comments

• stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    We can hope, but lately designs are getting really abstract or really ugly, there doesn't seem to be a lot of love for the ships we know.

All I can say is...

Andrew Probert's Ambassador. Pretty please?
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • redz4twredz4tw Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2014
    being Kicked In The Antimatter Pods.
    Omfg!!!!! Lol
    edited March 2014
    This scene? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujYQoV-0s0E

That would have been awesome in The Motion Picture. Scotty, err, the Klingon Commander might have survived...maybe. (Both roles were played by James Doohan)

Anyone have any clips (not stills) of a Nebula doing this?

Somehow that doesn't look ... right.

The Nebula got a fair share of screen time, but in most cases it was never in a dangerous enough situation for the saucer to need to separate from the stardrive.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have the Star Trek magazine. the guy who designed the Sovie made it have saucer sep so yes it can. Cryptic should make a Sovie Retro that can do it.

No it dosen't... Just as little as the Akria is a Carrier, or has 12 Photon launchers... it wasn't shown on screen, so it's not the case.

This has been the policy of Paramount, CBS and the majority of the Fans since forever... Some magazine dosen't change that.

The Nebula got a fair share of screen time, but in most cases it was never in a dangerous enough situation for the saucer to need to separate from the stardrive.

Say, like fighting the Borg at Wolf 359, or the battle of Sector 001? Perhaps the Dominion wars?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited March 2014

That would have been awesome in The Motion Picture. Scotty, err, the Klingon Commander might have survived...maybe. (Both roles were played by James Doohan)

In Star Fleet Battles, the old tabletop game, they did mention that they had slave races working in the aft compartments and if the slave crew were to riot, they would separate the "boom" section from the aft and detonate the aft to quell the riot.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2014

there were a few scenes but none where it survived long enough to make such a maneuver.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

The funny thing is that this function on a Klingon ship would predate the galaxy separation by almost a century...
    edited March 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    there were a few scenes but none where it survived long enough to make such a maneuver.

Exactly. Either the ship was destroyed too quickly, or there was not enough damage to justify a captain separating the saucer section.
    The funny thing is that this function on a Klingon ship would predate the galaxy separation by almost a century...

That's not saucer separation. That's an emergency ejection procedure, with no possibility of reconnection. The Connie could do the same thing according to TAS, but it wouldn't be able to reconnect without starbase assistance.
    edited March 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    No it dosen't... Just as little as the Akria is a Carrier, or has 12 Photon launchers... it wasn't shown on screen, so it's not the case.

This has been the policy of Paramount, CBS and the majority of the Fans since forever... Some magazine dosen't change that.

Well you COULD argue that the separation lines on the exterior model and the clearly separated areas on the MSD makes it canon.
    I personally wouldn't... but still... you could.

I'd say adding it wouldn't violate canon . If the Sovereign has separation or not known.

I might also add that in the post nemesis novels she definitely has separation, and while they are not official STAR TREK canon, until some point they seem to be STOs canon, since multiple persons and ships from that novels are around..
    edited March 2014
    Well you COULD argue that the separation lines on the exterior model and the clearly separated areas on the MSD makes it canon.
    I personally wouldn't... but still... you could.

Problem with that is: I've never seen a on-screen MSD of the Nebula clearly...

I am not saying that the Nebula, Sov, Connie and a heck of alot of other ships theoretically should be able to seperate, but I am sorry: As long as it hasn't been shown on screen, it's just not canon.

IF said ships turn up ingame with a seperation ability, I won't disapprove... But I won't fight to get them in-game either
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • cptwilliam2cptwilliam2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This actually would be good for Cryptic, after all, it would encourage a second purchase of at least the Galaxy and possible the Bundle.

Plus, it adds more variety to the Nebula. Seems like a win-win to me.
    Join Legends Memorial, a chat channel to share stories about the legends of Trek who are no longer with us.
    edited March 2014
    Problem with that is: I've never seen a on-screen MSD of the Nebula clearly...

I am not saying that the Nebula, Sov, Connie and a heck of alot of other ships theoretically should be able to seperate, but I am sorry: As long as it hasn't been shown on screen, it's just not canon.

IF said ships turn up ingame with a seperation ability, I won't disapprove... But I won't fight to get them in-game either

I meant the sovereign @MSD.

I'd say that is one of the very few cases where people CAN discuss if its canon or not (unlike the tons of situation where people just throw stuff in there and call it canon because they think its a good idea^^ - aka "its canon that the akira was build to fight the Borg" or "The Klingon/Romulan alliance during TOS, thats canon" or "its obviously canon that the JJ Verse is an alternate universe that did not overwrite to original one.")
    I personally like to consider as little as "canon" as possible. Leaves more space for creativity. So I wouldnt consider that one canon^^

I'd love saucer sep for my sovereign, but there are certainly more important things.
    edited March 2014
    I meant the sovereign @MSD.

I'd say that is one of the very few cases where people CAN discuss if its canon or not (unlike the tons of situation where people just throw stuff in there and call it canon because they think its a good idea^^ - aka "its canon that the akira was build to fight the Borg" or "The Klingon/Romulan alliance during TOS, thats canon" or "its obviously canon that the JJ Verse is an alternate universe that did not overwrite to original one.")
    I personally like to consider as little as "canon" as possible. Leaves more space for creativity. So I wouldnt consider that one canon^^

I'd love saucer sep for my sovereign, but there are certainly more important things.

Granted, that's true...

Again, this is not something I would fight... it's Sorta Canon TOS, and it's deffo canon TNG... The Sov has a seperating Yacht from the TORPEDO launcher, and it does look like it could seperate, and so do a ton of other Starfleet ships, so at least it SEEMS more canon than say... The uglyness that is the Vesta, or the Federation temporal ships.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    the centaur and miranda class ships cant saucer separate from its engineering and nacelle sections, the nebula is in the same boat because its also a saucer section with an engineering section and nacelles.

leave it alone, its a science ship mean for well, science things, not combat.

the excelsior on the other hand had the ability for saucer separation btw, however it was never shown, it was instead given to the galaxy class.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited March 2014
    the centaur and miranda class ships cant saucer separate from its engineering and nacelle sections, the nebula is in the same boat because its also a saucer section with an engineering section and nacelles.

leave it alone, its a science ship mean for well, science things, not combat.

the excelsior on the other hand had the ability for saucer separation btw, however it was never shown, it was instead given to the galaxy class.

We don't know for sure whether the Centaur-type can saucer separate, and if it could, it wouldn't be "true" saucer sep. The saucer would be detachable in an emergency and probably couldn't be reconnected to the back end without starbase assistance.

As for the Miranda-class, that ship doesn't look like it can saucer separate, since 80% of the hull is the saucer.

The Excelsior-class was never specifically stated to be saucer separation capable. Even if it were, it would likely be similar to the TOS/TMP Connie: emergency detach only, not a routine operation.

The Galaxy-class spaceframe was the first Federation Starfleet design to routinely separate AND reattach without the need for a starbase. It would make sense that, according to the Okudagram/MSD, the Nebula would be able to do the same. After all, why else would the Nebula need a battle bridge and have a separation line?
    edited March 2014
    Nebula was pigeonholed into a strictly science role here, in the franchise it was a lot more versatile, from science to transport to patrol duties.
    I'm not going to buy into this line of declaring with certitude that this or that isn't possible because we never saw it, it's all fiction anyway, but what we know of these designs is the saucer shape is supposedly a hold over for having an aerodynamic shape to use as an emergency atmospheric entry vehicle, in that vein the ship would need to shed anything that would create drag during that process. It would also need to be able to jettison the stardrive in the event of an impending core breach, loss of antimatter containment or any of a plethora of other scenarios where separating the ship was a preferable alternative to simply abandoning it.
    That said, it's really a pointless discussion given how things work around here, as a science ship the Nebula simply doesn't need saucer separation, it's only marginally useful on the ships that do use it, here it would be a worthless gimmick.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
    edited March 2014
    http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070807173848/startrek/images/6/66/USS_Phoenix,_Nebula_class.jpg

If you look very closely near the bussard collectors, there DOES seem to be a seperation line.
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    After all, why else would the Nebula need a battle bridge and have a separation line?

TOS Connie (and presumably other similar ships) had an aux bridge in the engineering section as well, just in case the emergency that required blowing the ship in half made the saucer unusable and they all had to fly home crammed in Scotty's engine room. I'd expect the Neb to be have similar design decisions, even if it didn't get the whole 'reassembling' tech that the Galaxy got.
    ... or "The Klingon/Romulan alliance during TOS, thats canon"
    I hate to go off on a tangent, but what makes you think this isn't canon? We had a TOS episode with Roms flying Klink ships. Pretty hard to explain that without at *least* a very generous sharing/purchase of technology. Would the Klingons have attached the UFP if they hit the Rommies? Well ... well yeah, of course they would have, but would they be doing it because of some Kli/Rom treaty? No clue, so I could see a firm 'mutual protection treaty' being non-canonical. But there has to have been some form of agreement.

Or maybe the Roms are just that good at stealing stuff? ;)
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
    edited March 2014
    We don't know for sure whether the Centaur-type can saucer separate, and if it could, it wouldn't be "true" saucer sep. The saucer would be detachable in an emergency and probably couldn't be reconnected to the back end without starbase assistance.

As for the Miranda-class, that ship doesn't look like it can saucer separate, since 80% of the hull is the saucer.

The Excelsior-class was never specifically stated to be saucer separation capable. Even if it were, it would likely be similar to the TOS/TMP Connie: emergency detach only, not a routine operation.

The Galaxy-class spaceframe was the first Federation Starfleet design to routinely separate AND reattach without the need for a starbase. It would make sense that, according to the Okudagram/MSD, the Nebula would be able to do the same. After all, why else would the Nebula need a battle bridge and have a separation line?

thanks for a history lesson i already know:). i was making the miranda and centaur class as examples because these were basically connie and excelsior saucer heads with engineering and nacelles attached like the nebula is a galaxy head with a mission pod, please note the saucer itself is directly attached to the engineering section. my point is they were not built with separation ability and the nebula more then the others would have design issues for saucer separation and reattachment, specifically the latter because of the mission pod. i cant imagine why the nebula would be any different since the nebula is the upgrade over the miranda class im sad to say and the okudagram isnt strictly trek canon so there is no point venturing along that line of thought. oh and the battle bridge is a backup that is only used under certain conditions, one of these can involve the bridge itself being attack in such a way in makes the bridge uninhabitable, so the battle bridge takes over, thats thin evidence to suggest it is a separation ability.
    edited March 2014
    I have to agree with mirrorchaos on this one... miranda and Centaur ships are part of the "remnant kitbash fleet"... they arent designed for anything other than being recycled ships.
    edited March 2014
    I have to agree with mirrorchaos on this one... miranda and Centaur ships are part of the "remnant kitbash fleet"... they arent designed for anything other than being recycled ships.

no nebula in the conclusion or you miss that?
    edited March 2014
    thanks for a history lesson i already know:). i was making the miranda and centaur class as examples because these were basically connie and excelsior saucer heads with engineering and nacelles attached like the nebula is a galaxy head with a mission pod, please note the saucer itself is directly attached to the engineering section. my point is they were not built with separation ability and the nebula more then the others would have design issues for saucer separation and reattachment, specifically the latter because of the mission pod. i cant imagine why the nebula would be any different since the nebula is the upgrade over the miranda class im sad to say and the okudagram isnt strictly trek canon so there is no point venturing along that line of thought. oh and the battle bridge is a backup that is only used under certain conditions, one of these can involve the bridge itself being attack in such a way in makes the bridge uninhabitable, so the battle bridge takes over, thats thin evidence to suggest it is a separation ability.

There are a lot of issues with what you have said here.

The Constitution/Miranda, Excelsior/Centaur argument does not necessarily apply to the Galaxy/Nebula argument. There is a fifty year gap between these design classes. It's the equivalent of making an argument that, since the NX/Intrepid ships cannot launch shuttlepods off a horizontal landing deck, neither can the Connie/Miranda. Which is just plain false.

Back to the Nebula. The saucer is attached to the engineering section, albeit with a clear separation line and a battle bridge. This is done in a manner similar to how the Galaxy saucer is connected to the "neck" portion of the stardrive. Although the MSD did not show the docking latches, neither did the Galaxy's MSD. From the battle bridge and separation line, one can surmise that the Nebula has teh ability to separate its saucer. What we don't know is whether this is an emergency procedure, or something the Nebula can routinely do.

The Nebula, while sharing design characteristics with the Miranda, is not the direct successor. The Miranda performed planetary surveys and was used as quick, light frigates. The Nebula did not do any planetary surveys (at least none shown on screen), instead it was a border patrol vessel. It was much more bulky and thus much slower than the Miranda, or other vessels which replaced the Miranda's job (such as the Nova).

The Okudagram isn't strictly Trek canon. It, however, is an apocryphal source, much like the TNG Manual. Thus, it is treated as canon second only to true canon material.

Main Engineering has consistently been shown as the emergency bridge, in cases when the bridge is destroyed or rendered inoperable. This has been established in all of the Trek series this far, except maybe Deep Space Nine (examples include the USS Constellation, NX-01, Enterprise-D, Voyager multiple times, etc). There is no need for a battle bridge to exist as an emergency command center, since Main Engineering can handle that job. The only purpose of a battle bridge is for ships that require another bridge when the regular one has been separated.
    edited March 2014
    no nebula in the conclusion or you miss that?

Actually I chose to ignore it, since theres evidence both for and against a saucer sep on the Nebula.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,449 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    Its possible that the secondary "Battle" bridge on the Nebula might be the Aux Control. I'm pretty sure that if the Main Bridge on a Galaxy was blown clean off, the Battle Bridge could act as the primary even while still connected, acting as an Aux Control Center. Just because Engineering was shown to do so more doesn't rule out the possibility. And using the Intrepid and NX as examples of using Engineering as an Aux Control Center while discussing ships with secondary bridge modules is kinda pointless as the NX and Intrepid are smaller designs that weren't meant to seperate, therefore they would HAVE to use Engineering.

Now... the Nebula's main shuttlebay... how the hell does that work with the mission pod pylon right in front of it? I'd call that a design oversight.

And in regards to the recent Miranda/Centaur seperation thing... what would they be seperating from? The Miranda is a saucer attached to necelles and a rollbar. The Warp Core is in the hull. Same goes with the Centaur, a saucer attached to a torpedo launcher and necelles.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What really need is to be able to use the Venture skin on that ship, would look nice!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    edited March 2014
    The Centaur is easy it just has to detach from the torpedo launcher everything else is attached to that, with the Miranda the nacelle pylons and rollbar could be attached with explosive bolts, the warp core and antimatter pods can be ejected directly out of the hull.
    Regarding the shuttlebay on the Nebula, remember the first version shown of the Nebula was the Phoenix which had an AWACS type pod supported by two widely spaced pylons, there would be no problem for a shuttle flying between them. When they changed over to using the triangular pod I guess they didn't give much thought to the hanger and it isn't as small an area to enter as the smaller bay on the Galaxy Neck.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Its possible that the secondary "Battle" bridge on the Nebula might be the Aux Control. I'm pretty sure that if the Main Bridge on a Galaxy was blown clean off, the Battle Bridge could act as the primary even while still connected, acting as an Aux Control Center. Just because Engineering was shown to do so more doesn't rule out the possibility. And using the Intrepid and NX as examples of using Engineering as an Aux Control Center while discussing ships with secondary bridge modules is kinda pointless as the NX and Intrepid are smaller designs that weren't meant to seperate, therefore they would HAVE to use Engineering.

Now... the Nebula's main shuttlebay... how the hell does that work with the mission pod pylon right in front of it? I'd call that a design oversight.

And in regards to the recent Miranda/Centaur seperation thing... what would they be seperating from? The Miranda is a saucer attached to necelles and a rollbar. The Warp Core is in the hull. Same goes with the Centaur, a saucer attached to a torpedo launcher and necelles.

that is a fan theory of why the uss odyssey's bridge was so much different form the enterprise-d's the captain preferred to command form the battle bridge even when connected in a combat situation
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I doubt the centaur or Miranda could separate-it just wouldn't do much good considering it's anatomy. However, I do think it would be great if the Nebula, and possibly the Sovereign could separate. Of course, I'd also like to see the nebula's mission pod reflect the supposed versatility of the craft more, I'd like to see it have the venture skin and an option for the circular mission pod, and I'd like to see the at least the galaxy, if not the sovereign have a shuttle bay like the Galaxy-x, and I don't see Cryptic adding any of those features any time soon.
    edited March 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »

The basis for the battle bridge justification is the extensive use of Engineering as the backup command center when the bridge is critically damaged or otherwise unavailable. Ships prior to the Galaxy, which did not feature saucer separation as a routine procedure, did not require a battle bridge. In the pre-Galaxy days, Engineering (or in TOS Connie, some weird backup command center thing) served as the emergency command center.

Even when the Galaxy-class came out, Engineering (on multiple occasions) still served as the emerg command. Which raises some interesting points.
    • If Engineering still served as the emerg command center, then what specifically does the battle bridge do? (ie, when is it appropriate to use the battle bridge?)
    • In ships with no saucer separation capability, do they have a battle bridge?
    • The Nebula has a battle bridge, according to the MSD published in Star Trek Communicator (an official magazine, and hereby considered apocryphal) several years ago. Why does the Nebula have a battle bridge, if it won't be used in situations where the main bridge is blown off?

The battle bridge was used only in scenes where the Enterprise-D was separating. It was never used in other situations where the main bridge was taken over or otherwise inoperable/inaccessible. Which leads me to suppose that the battle bridge's normal operation is only in cases where the Galaxy's saucer is separating. Thus, since the Nebula has a battle bridge, the Nebula has saucer separation capability as well. And by that, I mean routine saucer separation, not an emergency procedure requiring a starbase to undo the damage.

As for the shuttlebay, I don't know. The Galaxy-X has the same problem (albeit not as bad).

As for "saucer separation" on the Miranda and Centaur. I'd imagine something catastrophic requiring an emergency saucer detachment would be either in the warp core or in the nacelles. If that were the case, would it not simply be easier to explosively detach the nacelles or eject the core?
    edited March 2014
    The basis for the battle bridge justification is the extensive use of Engineering as the backup command center when the bridge is critically damaged or otherwise unavailable. Ships prior to the Galaxy, which did not feature saucer separation as a routine procedure, did not require a battle bridge. In the pre-Galaxy days, Engineering (or in TOS Connie, some weird backup command center thing) served as the emergency command center.

Even when the Galaxy-class came out, Engineering (on multiple occasions) still served as the emerg command. Which raises some interesting points.
    • If Engineering still served as the emerg command center, then what specifically does the battle bridge do? (ie, when is it appropriate to use the battle bridge?)
    • In ships with no saucer separation capability, do they have a battle bridge?
    • The Nebula has a battle bridge, according to the MSD published in Star Trek Communicator (an official magazine, and hereby considered apocryphal) several years ago. Why does the Nebula have a battle bridge, if it won't be used in situations where the main bridge is blown off?

The battle bridge was used only in scenes where the Enterprise-D was separating. It was never used in other situations where the main bridge was taken over or otherwise inoperable/inaccessible. Which leads me to suppose that the battle bridge's normal operation is only in cases where the Galaxy's saucer is separating. Thus, since the Nebula has a battle bridge, the Nebula has saucer separation capability as well. And by that, I mean routine saucer separation, not an emergency procedure requiring a starbase to undo the damage.

Well the reason why they did use eng as Aux control was quiet obvious: There wasn't a permanent "battle bridge" set and they didn't want to build one for that episodes.
    It makes absolutely no sense to have a second, fully operational bridge and just lock it out from use as long as the saucer is connected.
    In that case its really hard to find a reason why they might not have used it, I think that should be done by looking at the situations one by one...

And the ST communicator is not canon. I don't even think its licensed... Wasn't that just a fan magazine?