test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• phadrenphadren Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Qoute fromS eason 9 Dev Blog #5 "With a system revamp like this, we also get to take a close look at which goals the original system was meeting, and which goals it wasn’t. While Reputation Traits have been outstanding rewards for participating in content, they’ve also forced players to make semi-permanent build decisions without regard for what type of ship they’re flying or what group role they’re trying to play. We want players to be able to use all of the powers they’ve earned, and we want to encourage experimentation and gaining a deeper understanding of how the game’s mechanics work. "

Really like these changes but hopefully you will apply a similar system when it comes to skills. Its a bit much to spend 500 zen every time I want to switch builds to make a diff. ship build more effective. For example If I fly a ship with a cannon/beam build and would like to switch to a more science spec or spec for torps.

With the amount of diff. ships we can fly and all the possibilities we have it would be nice to be able respec w/o 500 zen each time. Most ppl I know just have one skill point build for everything, if we didn't have to shell out RL money or dil everytime I'd bet we see a lot more diversity as far as far as skill point builds.

From the quote above it seems like you guys might be heading in that direction, for me that would be a very welcome change. Really like the direction the games been heading in thanks for all your work guys.
  • captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No I am going to tell you the cold hard truth.

The offensive rep traits are all getting doubled in effect... YOU don't need to heal in PvE.

So you just got your rep traits doubled for free.

Win Win for you Pve Only guys. ;)

Yes that was facetious I know ... sorry. Really is the truth though.

really pve only wins?

lets say powers are buffed 2x
    you get to choose 8
    right now you get to choose 16
    under current system all future reps it would be 16+x
    so............

(2*8)/(16+x)=

Right now with current 4 Reps: (2*8)/(16+x)=(2*8)/(16+(0))=1
    with 5 reps (current +1): = (2*8)/(16+(4))=0.8
    with 6 reps (current +2): = (2*8)/(16+(8))=0.6667
    with 7 reps (current +3): = (2*8)/(16+(12))=0.57

as you can see it is not a WIN WIN. you lose out. even getting buffed 2x stronger even with 1 more rep coming out you already start losing.

I see the math is not strong in this one.

*in all honesty it is worse than this because you only get 4 passive that are of use to the area of which you are playing, under the current system you get 8 atm.*
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The only one lying is you. The devs are modelling all of the old reps AFTER the Dyson rep. Because they liked the flow of the Dyson rep. Says so right in the Season 9 Dev Blog 3.

Why you keep saying the opposite is beyond me, but it's right there for all to read. All the other reps are going to be as easy to do as the Dyson rep once these changes go live.

maybe because they removed commendations?

I liked the dyson rep a lot and it seems to me that they are moving away from it. I'd prefer they kept it exactly the same as dyson in the future.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That isn't really a new thing. It is also basic game design. (not just video game design). Any game including a board game. Has to be easy enough to understand that a new player can grab the basic rules and jump in... complex enough to keep people interested... and walk that line the entire time.

I don't think what they are doing is contrary to anything they would have been taught by any half decent game theory teacher.

I couldn't help the last post btw. Sorry. :)

I guess that's where I differ. I see pandering to people who really have no business trying to play video games for the sake of their wallets as poisonous to the video game industry.

You make things easier, you lower the bar, you water things down. But you do so at the cost of quality and innovation. You cheapen what games are capable of doing for the sake of pleasing a vast multitude of people who can barely turn on a computer without third party assistance.

It's a poison pill that the industry has willingly swallowed for the sake of being able to stay competitive, but you introduce and encourage game stagnation which is a waste of educated minds who want to see new challenges and ideas published.

It's an industry of gourmet chefs who studied abroad, but payroll demands they try to compete with McDonald's and Burger King for people who have no idea what foie gras is, but will readily scarf down a Big Mac.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Can I get whatever you are smoking - it seems like good stuff. They were 8 different things - that did different functions. And they are not all being doubled - as in my last post a lot of numbers are left out.

This is a nerf and it does benefit PvP - because the problem with the 8 is you could be superior at both Defense AND offense - now you will be either more powerful offensively and less tanky or you will be more tankly and less lethal.

This is a boost the PvP balance and a Nerf to general PvE effectiveness - there is no "if, ands or buts" about that.

In fact in some of the uber DPS players case - they will get a massive boost to damage

Finally well will see Infected space elite - "Gone is 60 seconds!!" post show up on the forums

Yup, far from being a way to narrow the gap between new VA and vet VA, Mr Salieri has demonstrated how this actually increases it.

This is the exact opposite effect Hawk said this was designed for.

However it does explain the nice big boost to Mr Salieris post count from this thread.

The min maxers see an opportunity here, the rest is blatant sophistry.
  • jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The only one lying is you. The devs are modelling all of the old reps AFTER the Dyson rep. Because they liked the flow of the Dyson rep. Says so right in the Season 9 Dev Blog 3.

Why you keep saying the opposite is beyond me, but it's right there for all to read. All the other reps are going to be as easy to do as the Dyson rep once these changes go live.

they're limiting the amount of hourlies that you can run.

nor have any NUMBERS been released iirc on the progression of the new rep, or the retrofitted reps.

plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    ktetch wrote: »
    No, you're Wrong, and I'm going to attribute it to your 'shock' that you didn't read things properly.

At present you have 20 buffs. 4 active, 8 passive ground and 8 passive space.
    You picked that buff at the time you leveled, and you're currently stuck with it.
    Right now, those 20 are IT.

New system you still have the same 4 active ones (because they're the only 4, the tier 5 ones, at present) but now you have only 4 passive ground AND 4 passive space.
    BUT you can pick those 4 not from the 8 you decided on, but the whole 16.
    So you're getting the 8 you want.

It's great to read whats actually there!

Actually, we both are wrong about the numbers. But if you'd bothered to read just two posts after my original one, you'd see somebody pointed that out in a much nicer way than you did and I already replied to that post. I just didn't feel the need to edit my original post because the base points stand.

The current number of total passives is 32, which is actually higher than I stated. You get two at tier 1 through 4 to pick from (currently you can only have one at each tier selected), there are four rep systems at current so that total of 8 times four is 32. Which means for space there are 16 passives and for ground there are another 16.

Now from that 16, we have to pick only 4! That's too few in my opinion (it's mine, and I still believe it).

Also, at the time these changes go live we'll have the new Undine Rep system in the game. That will also have a further 4 ground and 4 space passives, plus another active power for it's tier 5.

So when these changes actually happen on the main server, we'll have to pick 4 ground passives and 4 space passives out of a total of 20 powers for each (20 ground and 20 space). We'll also have to decide which active power not to use (that one doesn't bother me as much because it only means giving up one power and I can already predict for most of mine, that power will be the Nukara active ability because I don't find it very useful though it may be the new Undine power as I still don't know what that is).

Don't get me wrong, as I've thought about it a bit more I do like the general idea behind it. But two of my biggest issues with it are that the 'allowed' number of passives is too low, and that they have removed one of the passives I love and really don't want to lose. The removal of that passive will massively impact the usefulness of pulsewave weapons when fighting the Borg. Currently you can use a [KB3] pulsewave and knock back a large group of Borg drones, but they adapt usually after your second or third hit (with the remodulation passive active), because you're hitting so many of them at once. Without that passive, they usually adapt on the first hit so that's just plain TRIBBLE.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • enyinayaenyinaya Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Honestly I think this should be done but in a way that respects what current players have achieved.

I think the number of rep power/trait slots should be significantly upped so that existing players can more or less keep their current setups that they have worked hard for and earned.
    And then fix it there and require swapping out old traits for new ones in future reputation systems.

This would allow you to put a cap on the power creep at this point, while not devaluing the hard work existing players have already put in.

This, I think, is the way forward. Let old players keep thier current powers but in future will be limited on how many passived they can get.
    This are empty!
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i already take all 8 offensive passives, so anything having to do with healing good or bad is completely irrelevant. anyone with max dps builds already ignores healing.

so keep making yourself sound more stupid.

OK so lets go over your "choices" then. :)

So you have;
    Omega weapon training now... cool.
    Omega Graviton Amp... I see yes you will miss this I am sure your DPS will drop by 20 or so. :)
    Romulan peercision... ok good choice to bad it isn't being doubled or something.
    Sensor targeting assualt.... ok then Placate is getting removed in favor of a wepaon offline... ok I guess that sounds really offensive. my mistake.
    Nukura enhanced Shield pen... well this one is getting doubled regardless it is a DPS loss in PvE in case you where not aware... seriously run a few ISE with and with out and parse them... you will do more DPS with out this trait. That won't change much in PvE when it gets doubled either.
    Nukura Aux offense trait... cool depends on your set up might be helping you might not be if your a typical PvE A2B runner.
    Dyson advanced targeting... yep good choice to bad its not getting doubled oh wait thats right it is.
    Dyson - Tactical advantage... = to about beta .5 on one target and doesn't help your team ya not so great to be honest.

So looking at them what would your run now in PvE.
    Omega Weapon training
    Romulan Percision
    Nukura Aux offense
    Dyson advanced targeting

There you go what do you give up in terms of actual offense. Nothing. You gain. You loose a the almost none existent borg Omega Amp (if you really have that selected)... you gain the new bonuses like +20 CrtD instead of +10.

Overall your offense just went up... not sure how you can see that as a bad thing. Is it a nerf sure it is to your healing..... but why are you worried about that if all you do is PvE content. For a new Trait PvE setup you end up with MORE offense then before.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    edalgo wrote: »
    Oh the respec tokens will flow for Cryptic on this one. People trying to find the best combinations. And they wonder why people are leaving the game.

Its like there's no benefit to being a Veteran of this game or a Lifetime member like myself.

There will be no rep respec tokens anymore and you can change your active traits for free.
    edited March 2014
    as you can see it is not a WIN WIN. you lose out. even getting buffed 2x stronger even with 1 more rep coming out you already start losing.

No doubt they are putting the end to rep creep. that is happening even if you guys manage to convince them to allow you to keep all the rep you have now (allowing you to slot 8).

It is NOT a system they can continue... not unless you want to see new rep traits that are so low they will be not worth worrying about. They won't keep creeping the game... its already at a point where they can't release content and have it work right for the majority of players because people are all over the place in terms of creep levels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014

So you have;
    Omega Graviton Amp... I see yes you will miss this I am sure your DPS will drop by 20 or so. :)
    Romulan peercision... ok good choice to bad it isn't being doubled or something.
    Sensor targeting assualt.... ok then Placate is getting removed in favor of a wepaon offline... ok I guess that sounds really offensive. my mistake.
    Nukura enhanced Shield pen... well this one is getting doubled regardless it is a DPS loss in PvE in case you where not aware... seriously run a few ISE with and with out and parse them... you will do more DPS with out this trait. That won't change much in PvE when it gets doubled either.
    Nukura Aux offense trait... cool depends on your set up might be helping you might not be if your a typical PvE A2B runner.
    Dyson advanced targeting... yep good choice to bad its not getting doubled oh wait thats right it is.
    Dyson - Tactical advantage... = to about beta .5 on one target and doesn't help your team ya not so great to be honest.

Omega Weapon training
    Romulan Percision
    Nukura Aux offense
    Dyson advanced targeting

There you go what do you give up in terms of actual offense. Nothing. You gain. You loose a the almost none existent borg Omega Amp (if you really have that selected)... you gain the new bonuses like +20 CrtD instead of +10.

Overall your offense just went up... not sure how you can see that as a bad thing. Is it a nerf sure it is to your healing..... but why are you worried about that if all you do is PvE content. For a new Trait PvE setup you end up with MORE offense then before.

You are correct with 2/4 of the traits you selected.

Without numbers there is no way to tell which ones to take after that. Regardless of what you think you know.

Whether or not my offense just currently got a boost, and without numbers its still debatable, my offense suffers long term from this change as any future reps will either require me to give something up, or they won't be worth doing, where as under the current system its a stacking game.

Like I said, it doesn't affect my healing at all cause all offensive trait choices.

Again the more offense than before still depends on the numbers that currently aren't on the blog.

Either way I still get screwed long term even if things balance out, or go a bit either way short term.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Also make the content harder like it should be so those abilities can be used fully!
    So the new level 50s can't play the content at all because the power gap is too large? That's just bad developing right there. :<
    edited March 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    So the new level 50s can't play the content at all because the power gap is too large? That's just bad developing right there. :<

the power gap in pve is insignificant since npcs are ****.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No doubt they are putting the end to rep creep. that is happening even if you guys manage to convince them to allow you to keep all the rep you have now (allowing you to slot 8).

It is NOT a system they can continue... not unless you want to see new rep traits that are so low they will be not worth worrying about. They won't keep creeping the game... its already at a point where they can't release content and have it work right for the majority of players because people are all over the place in terms of creep levels.

And if this proposal actually addressed power creep I'd agree with you.

Fact is, it doesn't.

Not by itself and not as currently proposed.

What it does is try to slow down one aspect of future potential power creep, while leaving mechanisms that contribute far more intact.

Controlling power creep is a laudable aim, but this isn't it.
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited March 2014

So you have;

Omega Weapon training
    Romulan Percision
    Nukura Aux offense
    Dyson advanced targeting

I can almost guarantee one thing for sure after this goes live : massive forum rage over failed pug ESTF missions!! Why? Because most people will pick the offensive passives and will be popping like zits on a teenagers face - used to having all the extra heals. The nerf to the Borg set will only make this worse. The only thing that will stop it from being a full on calamity is the recent removal of shared team cool down powers.

Then of course I also expect the DPS 50k club to start and Infected elite to be gone is 60 seconds!
    edited March 2014
    the power gap in pve is insignificant since npcs are ****.
    So are you saying that we should let NPCs be four asterisks? Or should they scale to the players with full rep abilities?

Please, tell me how you're invisioning a game with continuously growing top players. How can new players catch up? How can NPCs stay challenging to top players without making them impossible to kill for new players?
    edited March 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    I guess that's where I differ. I see pandering to people who really have no business trying to play video games for the sake of their wallets as poisonous to the video game industry.

You make things easier, you lower the bar, you water things down. But you do so at the cost of quality and innovation. You cheapen what games are capable of doing for the sake of pleasing a vast multitude of people who can barely turn on a computer without third party assistance.

It's a poison pill that the industry has willingly swallowed for the sake of being able to stay competitive, but you introduce and encourage game stagnation which is a waste of educated minds who want to see new challenges and ideas published.

It's an industry of gourmet chefs who studied abroad, but payroll demands they try to compete with McDonald's and Burger King for people who have no idea what foie gras is, but will readily scarf down a Big Mac.

I have been trying to be as nice as I can to the devs cause I know they are trying.... really though lets be honest Cryptic isn't know for hiring the Michelangelo's of the industry. Anyone they have had that had some skill have mostly taken jobs elsewhere. Ok I'll shut up now cause I do think there are some smart people at Cryptic... perhaps not always the ones with the final say. lol :)

Trust me as an old time gamer I agree with you in part... Its partly why things like SC are exciting to so many people. A game for Gamers produced by actual gamers. As a general rule ya they all play to the audience. I think we WILL see over the next 5-10 years though games really swing the other way.

I say look at current pop culture. Would you have guessed 10 years ago that the hottest TV Comedy would be the big bang theory... that it would be renewed for 3 years, cause it pulls in 20 million+ viewers per episode. Or that on MAJOR media top 5 anticipated movies of 2014 would include 3 Marvel Super hero movies, a Johnney Depp Hard Sci fi Flick, and a Christopher Nolan directed Space movie called Intersteller that is supposed to involve worm holes and multiple dimensions. LOL

The culture is being Geekafied... and it will translate into video games soon enough... At the rate things are going I wouldn't be shocked if my 90 year old grandmother started playing Eve. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i already take all 8 offensive passives, so anything having to do with healing good or bad is completely irrelevant. anyone with max dps builds already ignores healing.

so keep making yourself sound more stupid.

Hmm.. I don't know. I take some of the healing and hull passive skills. There are a lot of players who try sneak attacks on me at Kerrat. It sucks for them I can take the damage they deal then I turn and starting bombarding them.

Those passive skills are resourceful.
    edited March 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    So are you saying that we should let NPCs be four asterisks? Or should they scale to the players with full rep abilities?

Please, tell me how you're invisioning a game with continuously growing top players. How can new players catch up? How can NPCs stay challenging to top players without making them impossible to kill for new players?

adding another tier of difficulty that would be scaled after each season, and restricted to private queues.
    edited March 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    And if this proposal actually addressed power creep I'd agree with you.

Fact is, it doesn't.

Not by itself and not as currently proposed.

What it does is try to slow down one aspect of future potential power creep, while leaving mechanisms that contribute far more intact.

Controlling power creep is a laudable aim, but this isn't it.

I don't disagree they can't stop there... having said that its a good start. Because the rep systems are if not part of the problem now (which I will agree can be argued both ways) ... it will 100% be an issue later. When we get to 5 reps in a week or two I think its very hard to argue that creep is good for the game... after that ya its not good.

I think a smart que system that put people into matches with equal level players and auto raised the settings would be cool... that in combo with this change could be very good for PvE. Same system could translate to PvP and do achieve the same goals.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    adding another tier of difficulty that would be scaled after each season, and restricted to private queues.
    I... :( uh...

...:mad:

...yeah that's not a bad idea. :P
  • captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited March 2014

That is the issue though, you do not really need reputation powers to play pve content. You need to be competent. that doesnt mean this isnt a nerf or that this isnt right to take away what people have earned.

However, this is solely being done for pvp. A player with 50 rep passives and a player with 0 can do the same ISE together so long they have good ship builds but pvp together, good luck. Another thing to remember, the player that has been here longer will always have something the other new player (doffs, gear, ship, etc) doesnt have to make them better in pvp. This is just a band-aid fix. Cryptic will have to nerf more things in the future to make new players happy and close the "gap" as they are claiming to be trying to do.

However, why is cryptic forcing players to always choose 4 space or 4 ground passives when they are not needed. No captain obviously needs 4 ground traits in space nor 4 space traits while on ground. AT LEAST it should be modeled after captain traits where you can choose ANY 8 passives to your liking at any time.
    edited March 2014

Of course, one possibility to deal with creep AND people overvaluing DPS/Tac consoles AND make PvP more viable for the noob would be...

... Rather than to bother fixing creep...

CAP INCOMING DPS. For both players and NPCs.

It could vary by enemy/ship type but the creep wouldn't matter if the enemy shrugged off all DPS in excess of 10k. You could have damage cap bleedover converted into a percentage chance to proc a heavy DOT or subsystem disable, making bleedover less pointless. Or maybe the player gains a chance to proc "Vigilance" for doing cap bleedover damage (the more the higher the chance of proc) which boosts defenses and movement or reduces cooldowns on defensive powers for the player doing the excess damage.

Power creep would not be a concern if DPS were a two way street where your gear/skill determines the amount you can deal but player and enemy targets had hard caps on the incoming damage they could receive per second.

And with those style of caps, creep is not a problem and this rep trait change is largely unnecessary.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I take it that these Rep traits will be in addition to our existing character traits?
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
    edited March 2014
    That is the issue though, you do not really need reputation powers to play pve content. You need to be competent. that doesnt mean this isnt a nerf or that this isnt right to take away what people have earned.

However, this is solely being done for pvp. A player with 50 rep passives and a player with 0 can do the same ISE together so long they have good ship builds but pvp together, good luck. Another thing to remember, the player that has been here longer will always have something the other new player (doffs, gear, ship, etc) doesnt have to make them better in pvp. This is just a band-aid fix. Cryptic will have to nerf more things in the future to make new players happy and close the "gap" as they are claiming to be trying to do.

However, why is cryptic forcing players to always choose 4 space or 4 ground passives when they are not needed. No captain obviously needs 4 ground traits in space nor 4 space traits while on ground. AT LEAST it should be modeled after captain traits where you can choose ANY 8 passives to your liking at any time.

What difference does this make if you can swap them for free at any time, aside from slowing down the beginning of a switch from ground or space.

If it works with quick switch, you'd automatically change traits when swapping between space and ground anyway since your ground build would swap the equipped traits.
    edited March 2014
    What difference does this make if you can swap them for free at any time, aside from slowing down the beginning of a switch from ground or space.

If it works with quick switch, you'd automatically change traits when swapping between space and ground anyway since your ground build would swap the equipped traits.

ground in this game is quit the game bad.

so people dont want to carry ground traits 24/7 if all they do is space.

same with the character traits.
    edited March 2014
    It's funny everyone is arguing or discussing what players earned who spent many hours doing so. Arguing about what to take from them and how best to do it?

Not one person so far said the players should work up the reputation system. If they have a issue about power creep.

This tells me some people are ready to bend over backwards which Cryptic is counting on. So, they can continue to get $$$ from new players.

So, I will say it again.

Learn to play better and build up through the current reputation system.
    edited March 2014
    ground in this game is quit the game bad.

so people dont want to carry ground traits 24/7 if all they do is space.

same with the character traits.

I wouldn't use the ground passive skills. I would use all space.
    edited March 2014
    I wouldn't use the ground passive skills. I would use all space.

exactly cause ground could go missing from this game and people would call it an improvement.
This discussion has been closed.