Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• Options
    chlamidiotchlamidiot Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    This is still a bad thing to do. It shatters the trust between the game's provider and the game's player.

Or it does the opposite. By showing the players that somebody is paying attention to power creep.

Then again I'm pretty sure you were the one who demanded the outrageous healing from the Valdore console stay in game since that's how it went live and you deserved to keep it that way.
    -notredricky
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~LaughingTrendy
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Absolutely agree, and we all wish we'd had this system in place when we launched the Nukara rep. We didn't, but we can't let past oversight stand as the only reason not to make a change that actually improves how the game works as a game.

This will never happen. More Reputation Slots could be given out via a game mechanic at some point, so I guess you could argue there could be a time cost or an effort cost to get another slot. But we are not charging people for Reputation Trait slots - please don't propagate fearmongering nonsense.

Sure, if all the powers you want come from two reps, then you shouldn't feel compelled to do the others! Our goal as designers is to make them all desirable under different conditions, so that everyone wants to collect them all eventually. But realistically, yes, you may feel less compelled to do some content with these limited choices.

I'm sorry you feel these changes are taking something from you. I assure you, this is not our intent. I completely understand why many of you are feeling that way, and I empathize with that feeling as a player. The one question I would like all of you to ask is, "If I were making this from the ground-up, with a blank slate, how would I make it?" Taking a step back from the emotional charge that comes from change, uncertainty, and different-ness, what would the best, most systemic, most fair, most consistent set of rules be for an alternate progression system that rewards participation in content?

We think this new system is the answer to that question. As I've mentioned repeatedly, though, all of this is subject to feedback on Tribble, and in any case where our stated goals are not being met, we will work swiftly to make this new system meet those goals.

Some notes on this first off Cryptic has a long history of pushing a grind and then when they don't like something about how it was implemented in the first place instead of doing something decent to correct it. The easiest and laziest thing to do is done or something not even needed like making skills look like they are disabled when they are on a global cd or puking paint all over consoles to make them unrecognizable.

One rule you should learn about Cryptic/being employed there never use the word never I will give you some examples of why you should never use the word never.

"Federation will NEVER have carriers"

"Ships in STO will NEVER have more than 4 forward weapon slots"

"Diminishing Returns on Tactical Consoles will NEVER be removed"

"Federation will NEVER have a Battle Cruiser"

I could go on and on with famous quotes about the word NEVER about this game but the point is proven.

Although its not your intent but intent must be intended if it was ever thought up in this manner. What basically has occurred and let me know if I am off base. During the launch of f2p we basically had been nerfed down to create a new ceiling of stats. So EPH leaves and under stahl's watch the ceiling extends until the point they feel the ceiling man needs to come back. So then little by little oh look over here this is gonna be really cool. Hey though lets not mention anything about extending the mirror thing until after we tell them in a dev blog about how we are going to royally TRIBBLE them. When I say royally TRIBBLE us I mean no one is going to debate me on the issue that it takes a lot of time to rep up to tier 5 per rep as well as resources and massive amounts of time of grinding to get there. So basically most of what was grinding for is being removed because you are now saying that you only get to pick 8 out of 20 traits that were already active and 12 of them are basically being removed from you. In this regard I would theoretically have to choose and narrow down 12 that I want to loose that I spent time getting. Then on top of that BS yer gonna push out more you want me to grind for that obviously I'm not gonna bother with because then I have to make decisions. Its kinda like the logic of making life altering decisions at a gas pump that ruins the gas station experience. Kinda like yer ruining the gaming experience having to sit and think well i used to have this this and this but TRIBBLE I can't do that anymore. I just think you guys don't want any players its like see how many you can get rid of this season.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    cidstorm wrote: »
    The point is that they knew the system would be over crowded and necessitate change, but sold you tokens that would for sure be useless in no time.

I was smart enough not to buy them. HOHOHOHOHOHO!!!!! :D
  • Options
    paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It doesn't achieve Cryptic's goal, it achieves YOUR goal: to not lose what you've gained. And, then what? We know there's an Undine rep coming, so up it to 10 and 10? And what of the next one? 12 and 12? 14 and 14? It wouldn't stop because the creep will still be there.

it does when the goal was to be able to prevent creep when they add new reps, so cap it at the 8 we have now, and never increase iit again, it means those who have done the reps have the full set already they dont lose the ability to use at the same time the passives they earned, unless they want to later with another rep.
    dirlettia wrote: »
    People will still do all the rep systems regardless as T5 is the only way to get the Active powers to get slotted. I am actually glad this has happened as it will really help new toons to hit the ground running.

except there will soon be more powers than we can use at one time too, so they wont have to do all of them.
    venkou wrote: »
    Technically, the majority of the active powers are for space.
    Not, even split at the moment.
  • Options
    smoketh2smoketh2 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    wildweasal wrote: »
    ok when did you have to spend real money to do the rep system ??? if you spent money to buy EC than that your fault as you can gain all rep with no real money expended .....now go sit down

Who said that I did?

I didn't say that, I said some players may have, why don't you go sit down since you clearly can't read and since your obviously new to this game, some of us have been here from the start and are severely miffed by these changes. When i invest my time into something to get something out of it I don't expect to have it taken away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well frankly lets all be honest its a needed nerf. :)

Last I checked I could still log in and do a STF run (all 3) in under 10min.

The newer content only takes me longer because Cryptic has ADDED time gates to all of it... obviously because they realize we would decimate it far to fast if they didn't.

And often we do. :P
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Some notes on this first off Cryptic has a long history of pushing a grind and then when they don't like something about how it was implemented in the first place instead of doing something decent to correct it. The easiest and laziest thing to do is done or something not even needed like making skills look like they are disabled when they are on a global cd or puking paint all over consoles to make them unrecognizable.

One rule you should learn about Cryptic/being employed there never use the word never I will give you some examples of why you should never use the word never.

"Federation will NEVER have carriers"

"Ships in STO will NEVER have more than 4 forward weapon slots"

"Diminishing Returns on Tactical Consoles will NEVER be removed"

"Federation will NEVER have a Battle Cruiser"

I could go on and on with famous quotes about the word NEVER about this game but the point is proven.

Although its not your intent but intent must be intended if it was ever thought up in this manner. What basically has occurred and let me know if I am off base. During the launch of f2p we basically had been nerfed down to create a new ceiling of stats. So EPH leaves and under stahl's watch the ceiling extends until the point they feel the ceiling man needs to come back. So then little by little oh look over here this is gonna be really cool. Hey though lets not mention anything about extending the mirror thing until after we tell them in a dev blog about how we are going to royally TRIBBLE them. When I say royally TRIBBLE us I mean no one is going to debate me on the issue that it takes a lot of time to rep up to tier 5 per rep as well as resources and massive amounts of time of grinding to get there. So basically most of what was grinding for is being removed because you are now saying that you only get to pick 8 out of 20 traits that were already active and 12 of them are basically being removed from you. In this regard I would theoretically have to choose and narrow down 12 that I want to loose that I spent time getting. Then on top of that BS yer gonna push out more you want me to grind for that obviously I'm not gonna bother with because then I have to make decisions. Its kinda like the logic of making life altering decisions at a gas pump that ruins the gas station experience. Kinda like yer ruining the gaming experience having to sit and think well i used to have this this and this but TRIBBLE I can't do that anymore. I just think you guys don't want any players its like see how many you can get rid of this season.

Hardly proven when i dont actually remember most if any of the "never"'s you claim there.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    They should be saveable in loadouts. I'm not sure if the first pass will contain this feature, since loadouts are programmer-driven and I'm not a programmer, but long term they should work together.

So you're saying loadouts are a design goal for Reputations and not just wishful thinking?
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bunansa wrote: »
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~LaughingTrendy

Can I haz your stuff?
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    paspinall wrote: »
    Not, even split at the moment.
    Grind versus Usefulness of Obtaining the Active You get where I am going? If the active is less rewarding than the passives, you can play the game without obtaining an active.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Hardly proven when i dont actually remember most if any of the "never"'s you claim there.

Its not hard but I understand some species do not have great eye sight or hearing.
  • Options
    satman82satman82 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2014
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    Grind versus Usefulness of Obtaining the Active You get where I am going? If the active is less rewarding than the passives, you can play the game without obtaining an active.

Considering all I was saying was, its currently an even split between space and ground powers not essentially all space as was said, HUH WHAT ?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    satman82 wrote: »

LOL this so reminds me of pre-f2p lol...

There must be some new secret player base we don't know about yet.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bunansa wrote: »
    So you think people actually thinking this is a good change are not getting is a bad thing? Ever heard of a concept known as personal opinion? You don't like it, that's fine. I, on the other hand, don't mind the change, I think it's a very good change. Yet, you think people like me aren't "getting" it? who are you to decide what people can think or not think?
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If they want you to obtain tier 5 in all reps then should they grant a new rep trait slot (or two) everytime you reach tier 5 in a rep?

In that way vets who have gone through it all still have an edge but they don't have all the cards?
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    satman82 wrote: »

Exactly, we have put a lot of time and money into getting our characters to where they are, and a change like this comes along and makes it so all of our progression is LITERALLY rolled back.

The difference between a fresh just got promoted to level 50, and a 4 year old level 50 with doffs, fleet stuff, lockbox stuff, real good spec, real good traits, full t5 reps on everything SHOULD BE MONUMENTAL.

A fresh level 50 on a new player's skill should look like **** since they probably don't have a clue on what the hell they are doing.

Still no dev post refuting the don't nerf players, buff npcs and add more difficulty. PRICELESS.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Its not hard but I understand some species do not have great eye sight or hearing.

Well considering the game started with NO diminishing returns on consoles and they ADDED them to resistances one of your claims would seem to immediately prove hyperbole.
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Considering all I was saying was, its currently an even split between space and ground powers not essentially all space as was said, HUH WHAT ?
    I understood your original statement, but I wanted to include another observation. Sorry I was not clear.

Its called playing sideways rather than vertical. You unlock a group of passives, which outweigh the significance of an active power.
  • Options
    daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Seeing as you're going down this route. Any chance I can trade my 4 active slots for 4 more passive ones?

In fact I'll do you a deal, given that I find the active rep traits to be lackluster at best, I'll trade you my 4 active slots for just 2 more passive ones, please........ :D
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    Want some Brie or some Gouda with that Whine?
    Nah this vintage of whine calls for Limburger. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    If they want you to obtain tier 5 in all reps then should they grant a new rep trait slot (or two) everytime you reach tier 5 in a rep?

In that way vets who have gone through it all still have an edge but they don't have all the cards?

The problem is that it would not put a stop to the power creep, just slow it down, which is completely contrary to what they are trying to achieve here.

The best solution really is to here and now set the slots to 8 space and 8 ground.
    Everyone keeps what they have, and the power creep is stalled.
    And I honestly do not see how any rational person could be against that solution.
  • Options
    neok182neok182 Member Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    daboholic wrote: »
    Seeing as you're going down this route. Any chance I can trade my 4 active slots for 4 more passive ones?

In fact I'll do you a deal, given that I find the active rep traits to be lackluster at best, I'll trade you my 4 active slots for just 2 more passive ones, please........ :D

That's actually not a terrible idea. If you take no actives you get 4 more passives. 2 ground, 2 space. I'd take that.
    ACCESS DENIED
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Alright, how about this as a compromise.

Keep the four passives, space and ground buckets, as proposed.

In other words, as reps get added, players have to choose which four passives to take.

However, active powers to get no limit.

If I grind my way to tier 5 in every rep, how about i get an actual, tangible and ongoing reward for that.

So, four passive ground, four passive space but unlimited active tier 5 powers.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is a good step towards improving build diversity and reducing power creep at the same time. I'm actually pleasantly surprised you didn't find some way to monetize this. :rolleyes:
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    fatman592 wrote: »
    From a PvP standpoint, it just makes Romulans that much better. See someone running AP weapons, no problem, just switch to a rep passive that resists it and adds feedback damage.

Nope.

"you can now change your selection of passive Reputation Traits for free, any time you’re out of combat."

Emphasis added.
  • Options
    jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If this change is doomed to occur, the traits shouldn't be space/ground specific. I hate ground with a passion because it is complete and total ****. Everything about it is a utter waste of time. I'm here for the STARRRRRRRRRRR Trek not for the ground trek.
  • Options
    neok182neok182 Member Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The problem is that it would not put a stop to the power creep, just slow it down, which is completely contrary to what they are trying to achieve here.

The best solution really is to here and now set the slots to 8 space and 8 ground.
    Everyone keeps what they have, and the power creep is stalled.
    And I honestly do not see how any rational person could be against that solution.

I've put that forward a couple times and a lot of people seem to like it.

Get rid of the buffs that they're taking about and keeping it 8 space and 8 ground and 4 passives. So to use any new stuff you'd have to get rid of old ones but we keep the game as is now.
    ACCESS DENIED
This discussion has been closed.