test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    paspinall wrote: »
    such limits already having been there and dont suddenly make you have to half the number you take.
    maddriver wrote: »
    This actually sounds like a great idea, considering that we will be able to change them for free whenever out of combat.
    The old (current) reputation system had a big problem in my opinion: what if I wanted two powers from the same Tier ? For example both powers from T3 Omega.
    Now I can have them both activated, at the same time.

Also, people seem to forget that there is also such a limit for the passive character traits. There is a limit to how many skill points you can invest in space and ground traits. And that is a good thing. Same applies in the case of the new reputation system.

I am really looking forward to it.

Ah but there in lies the problem thank you for pointing it out

Instead of being somewhat great now you can go double down on stuff....if people thought there was a power creep before...lol now when the super stacking occurs
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So I read the blog but it's late, been a long day at work, I'm tired and confused.

So is this what happens:

You only get 4 passives for ground and 4 passives for space? Entirely? Across all the reputations?
    Basically.
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
    edited March 2014
    Sure... Jump the level to 60 instead... nullify all your ships and gear... this would also fix the issue.

or just making a nightmare mode like some other mmos do...

normal ...check
    elite/hard.....check
    nightmare....missing

• einheryar44einheryar44 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It takes what, 14 days of playing about an hour each day to max all rep on a new alt? I can't imagine even for extremely lazy people that should have been too much of a burden to justify this "power creep" whining.

Additionally, Rotating Weapon Frequency will become the default I'm assuming since you're getting rid of it? Some people still enjoy doing E-STF ground iron-mans, and it's really a bone you need to throw us when you're so willing to cave to these whiners.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    zardonfar wrote: »
    I'm confused by something.. Why is everyone complaining about "Power Creep"? Far as I can tell, all the Power Creep is coming from the Fleet Equipment and Zen/Lockbox ships.. Not from the Rep system.. Maybe over time, sure.. But right now the passive powers are a joke. I don't think anything stacks.

the dyson rep is offering kit pieces and other kits in exchange for dilithum, these bits and pieces are superior to a lot of stuff you can get, add a fleet tactical or science kit with it and you got yourself something that most would considered over the top, add passive rep bonuses specifically towards damage and such and you got someting even more deadly, same in space. with the upgrades coming to kit powers and such in season 9, it very possible the power creep will keep creeping upwards. lots of things stack, just most of the time you dont notice it. basically when you realize things are too easy to kill thats where the power creep is, it should not be that easy thats why people complain for tougher content.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    You keep telling yourself that . :)
    At least until they'll realise that they have overbuffed stuff and hit it with the Nerf Bat .

And then ... you'll be stuck with less powers , less options and generically speaking less powerful .

BUT WAIT , THERE's MORE !!

Because just around the corner , there will be that Mk 14 stuff fo you to buy to make you feel all nice and strong again .
    Well not really strong because those will get nerfed too ... to make room for whatever comes next ... .

See how much fun you're having in STO ? :o

I have NO fun right now as it is.

This game is to easy.

I start doing X or Y grind... and with in 10min I find myself watching TV.

The game is BORING... please nerf the heck out of my toons. It would be nice to find anything in this game challenging enough to deserve my full attention again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    And your still not invited to Bran's wedding... Kevin

Who's Kevin?

:confused:

Oh, wait, I know a Kevin Richards...he once marked 3 piglets "1", "2", and "4", greased them, and set them loose at a high school prom dance.

He was expelled. He's a frat boy at a big school in the South now, I forget where.
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So I read the blog but it's late, been a long day at work, I'm tired and confused.

So is this what happens:

You only get 4 passives for ground and 4 passives for space? Entirely? Across all the reputations?

Yes, but they've all been buffed and tinkered with, they can be rotated any time you're not in red alert, and they're no longer tier exclusive, so you can pick both powers from a single tier if you want.

The activatable tier 5 powers also have their own separate 4 slots, which are equally fluid, but won't really become competitive until more activatable powers are released.
  • wdocwdoc Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I understand the attempt of balancing the game. But....time was invested in grinding for those passives. So, a new rep comes out, I now know one will come out after with passives I may like better? What would be the point in grinding the next rep?

Plain and simple this devalues the time spent grinding rep. If you want to make a change in the rep system have it effect upcoming reps. Leave what already has been grinded out. Let the player make the decision if they want to grind the next rep.

I for one will look hard before doing any further rep. Power crep I understand But many hours spent grinding passives that were just taken away, you may not understand.
    Doc of Hammer
  • etyibotetyibot Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~LaughingTrendy
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    I've seen this assertion made repeatedly, and I want to clarify - I'm not saying a new 50 should be equal to a veteran 50, nor will they be under this new system. I am saying that combat math where a fresh 50 deals 500 DPS but a veteran 50 deals 40,000 DPS is too wide a performance delta to sustain gameplay between those two actors.

It gives the new players something to aim for and work towards. Hell every single veteran player in the game has worker their TRIBBLE off to get where they are now. And in one fell swoop you've just handed them a slap in the face! Everyone moans about the power creep in game and yes its a problem, and what was cryptics first attempt at fixing it? increase the hit points of targets. like that's going to do much.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    im going to love actually getting to slot all the different passives and change them at no cost. the onlything left with an absurd paygate is the skill tree. hope one day that goes away too
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bunansa wrote: »
    OOh smarty pants here...cause ya the skills that they get at 45-54 sure don't make a diference at all....ROLFCOPTER

Having what, maybe 3 more skills actually doesn't make that much difference, that is why TOR has their PvP set in the level brackets they choose. Gear stats are way more important for fairness than skills are.
  • chrisbrown12009chrisbrown12009 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I like this. I was worried about the new rep making Anitproton a thing of the past and considering i just got a bunch of fleet AP stuff, i was a bit upset. But with this change, there is a chance people may not even use the Anti AP powers because they are using other things.

on the flip side thought, while people may look at this and consider it a nerf, it is really a buff pretending to be a nerf. you may all ask how, and i am sure the vets arent asking how, but laughing insanely as they read the other players cry about what they have lost instead of seeing what they have gained. I will try to spell it out for those of you who dont see what i am talking about.

Specialization people.

All or most of the reps passives will get STRONGER and while you are using less powers, the ones you are using are more powerful. We will have MORE crit change. MORE crit severity. MORE weapon damage and sheild penatrating through nakura. MORE disabling through rom T4. The ideas are so awesome if you all just stop and think about it.

for instance, i plan to use the new rom T4.

I decloak, attack, and your weapons fail. You then must pop ET if you want to fight back, but just when ET ends, i hit you with VM3.... and ES2...... both doffed... you could be a sitting duck if you dont have the stuff to counter it....

Vapers are rejoicing right now. they are getting more crit chance AND serverity, AND more dmg via reps. and they dont have to do anything to get it if they are maxed reps.... and while sure, they are giving up other stuff, that doesnt matter if their targets all die.... vaping is going to get a bit easier....just a bit.

all the powers are getting a boost and that means if you biuld your ship right under the new system, it will be MORE powerful. Sure you might have more weaknesses, but those either wont matter due to meta, or wont matter because your opponent will be dead.

And whats even better, is that while making builds more powerful, it adds diversity to the game. while capping powercreep. Sure, we are getting a bit more powerful now, depending on build, but after this, thats it, we wont get MORE powerful by stacking on more rep bonuses.

All and all, this is damn good people.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I will say that between the loss of the Mk X and XI Omega Rep ground sets and the T3 Omega ground passive, you're making it much harder for a new character to do elite ground STFs before they're already T5 in the rep and fully outfitted.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So what? STF's are "old" content.
    Its only natural that new content makes old content easier, thats how MMO's work.

Then answer me this one:
    What PVE content was created to replace the current STF's ?

The answer you're looking for is : nothing .

And that is why your supposition fails in the realms of STO .
    But that's ok , I don't blame you .
    I blame myself actually ... , for replaying the current STF's more times then ant sane person should have to ... and thus giving Cryptic the exact wrong impression that "everything is alright" .
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've seen this assertion made repeatedly, and I want to clarify - I'm not saying a new 50 should be equal to a veteran 50, nor will they be under this new system. I am saying that combat math where a fresh 50 deals 500 DPS but a veteran 50 deals 40,000 DPS is too wide a performance delta to sustain gameplay between those two actors.

This assertion can easily be dispelled by any of the uber DPS players on here - I will bet that any of the DPS 40k Scimitar boys will be able to take a fresh 50 out with zero rep and be able to crack 30k dps.

Would you like to tell us what rep powers cause the difference between 500 DPS and 40k DPS?
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Wow, so we have to choose what powers to take into a battle. Not sure what the reaction on this is gonna be. It will definitely lower the power creep.

i also now have less reason to go through the stupid rep grind YAY!!!!!
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Who's Kevin?

:confused:

Oh, wait, I know a Kevin Richards...he once marked 3 piglets "1", "2", and "4", greased them, and set them loose at a high school prom dance.

He was expelled. He's a frat boy at a big school in the South now, I forget where.

How should I know your first name? I need to guess... Jamal

Kevin Richards, from the Backstreet Boys or this Lion whisperer guy?
    edited March 2014
    reximuz wrote: »
    Having what, maybe 3 more skills actually doesn't make that much difference, that is why TOR has their PvP set in the level brackets they choose. Gear stats are way more important for fairness than skills are.

not just skills but also the skill tree as well

gear stats sure can make or break a death or kill but really its the player...ive been a huge fan of gsf for the fact I can take a brand new untouched ship and have more kills than the guy with the store bought one or the 5k fleet rep one...its player skill that will make the ultimate difference just like 2 different kinds of bbq sauce....

• doalxkdoalxk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Things have probably been said already, but I don't have time to read 43 pages.

Not particularly happy with the changes to the New Romulus T3/T4 abilities, if I'm understanding properly "Removed all "Chance on Crit" and replaced this functionality with an "On Next Crit" temporary effect. These effects are all consumed by applying their associated effects to self or foe, and will automatically refresh 20 seconds later." means that they're locked to only activating once per 20 seconds regardless of crit rate. At least I know that it is a power to ditch.

The Omega weapons damage bonuses not being tied to the skill anymore is nice. Same with the Nukara aux power configs. They really always should have been more direct, and this makes them much more useful.

Not sure that not buffing several of the powers just because they didn't do what they said they do is really the best decision, but I guess since we've never found out how they were supposed to work its the only way to test the balance from where they were supposed to be.
  • vhiranikosvhiranikos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    power creep is primarily overpowered stacking doffs and ships being released better and better.

Rep powers are pretty much the last thing affecting 'power creep.'

So this is just an across-the-board nerf.

i dont care really, i recognize the system would eventually get too big for itself if you guys keep adding to it (which you obviously will) but i dont appreciate the across the board nerf.
  • damix4damix4 Member Posts: 609 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I like this change. Each power got better so it will be fun to change them based on the build I have. I look forward when this will be implemented to work with load-out system.

New reputation power trait system is better than old one. This change should have been made earlier because now some players feel as something was taken from them and they see it as nerf.

I see it as improvement as I like the fact we can make builds more unique. In old reputation trait system I was stuck with my choices as I needed to pay zen or dilithium to change them. Now I can experiment with those powers, make different ones for my sci and tac as they have different roles which will benefit from buff of selected space powers.

Looking forward to changes in captain trait system as I would finally want to have few ground traits and not just space traits.

Don't rage on me now :)
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    8/8/4 minus the new power buffs is really the only way to go here.
    Fixes the existing power creep issue without TRIBBLE over anyone.

If you guys truly meant you have no intention to take anything away from the players then you will do this.
    No it doesn't fix the power creep issue... it simply maintains current levels of rep power creep....

Which is a problem.

There is to much of a GAP now between no rep and full rep.

Yes obviously as more reps come online it gets worse. So a 8 limit is better then no limit... but it doesn't solve the current issue just prevents future ones... I would rather they correct the current one and prevent future ones.

Still doesn't fix the issue that ALREADY exists.

Maintaining the status que is not an option. I'm sorry but the only way forward for the game at this point is a handful of very painful nerfs.

Rep is happening... great.

Next we should expect to see corrects... call them nerfs if it makes you feel better... to the current doff systems and Gear stacking and gear imparted bonuses and skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Its life in a MMO.

Having things dialed down changed is standard and par for the course.

Game revamps happen in every MMO... they happen when a developer decides they must happen. Yes one of the main reasons they happen is power creep issues.

STO has a MAJOR power creep issue.

I am not going to get upset when they start to correct them.

... and the only thing missing from that little lecture is this finishing sentence :

"and everybody should be like me ! "

:rolleyes:

The cool aid buddy , the cool aid ... .
    edited March 2014
    vhiranikos wrote: »
    power creep is primarily overpowered stacking doffs and ships being released better and better.

Rep powers are pretty much the last thing affecting 'power creep.'

So this is just an across-the-board nerf.

i dont care really, i recognize the system would eventually get too big for itself if you guys keep adding to it (which you obviously will) but i dont appreciate the across the board nerf.

na the new lockbox ship will come with a console that will just up the anty further like 5 secs of direct damage returned to player or something dumb....its not the ingame stuff that we can earn its the stuff that can be bought that's killing it....oh well

• captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    A nerf straight to the Rep Systems knees. People are thinking cool now we dont have to complete all the reps because we cant use all the powers anyways. however you fail to realize cryptic knows this and is going to come up with powers that will be strategically placed and gear unlocks to force you still complete each rep system.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Here's another thought.

We always had to choose between two passives because that was how the system limited Reputation power creep when the system was created.

Now that the Trait slot mechanism has come to the fore, why should the Tier 1 rank unlock two separate passives? Why not make them both part of the same trait?

NOW we have something worth slotting, it simplifies the system, and limits the number of bad combinations. Say there's only 4 passive slots under this system.

I could slot like this:

T1-Romulan, T1-Dyson, T1-Nukara, T1-Omega

Or this:

T1-Nukara, T2-Romulan, T3-Dyson, T4-Omega

Or maybe even this:

T4-Romulan, T4-Dyson, T4-Nukara, T4-Omega

Might require a bit of rejiggering of which passives are paired together into which traits.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How should I know your first name? I need to guess... Jamal

Kevin Richards, from the Backstreet Boys or this Lion whisperer guy?

Nope.

Nah, different Kevin Richards. Guy's an ***hole. Think Stifler from American Pie, only dumber and always drunk. And less funny.
This discussion has been closed.