Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Now, I feel a bit violated by this. Honestly, whoever came up with this should be fired immediately, because he or she does not qualify to work in the gaming industry, and should find employment elsewhere.

I'll be sure to tell everybody i know to stop buying zen.

Really? This is a game, the devs are trying to find balance. Unfortunately we as players are losing a significant amount of time that we have invested in the reputation system. This thread is clearly here for feedback. Making comments like yours isn't constructive and won't get anything changed.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    - Keep the individual rep traits as they are now.
    - Increase slots to 8 ground, 8 space.

A cap is placed preventing runaway power creep.
    And everybody gets to keep what they have already worked for and obtained.

Problem solved, everyone wins.
  • Options
    edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So I think you better prepare yourself Mr. Entitlement

It's not really a sense of entitlement when one has already worked to earn the thing in question.
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Keep telling yourself that.
    Maybe it might hold true for you, but many of the passives are different enough that for some people it is a really big deal.

Well frankly lets all be honest its a needed nerf. :)

Last I checked I could still log in and do a STF run (all 3) in under 10min.

The newer content only takes me longer because Cryptic has ADDED time gates to all of it... obviously because they realize we would decimate it far to fast if they didn't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This has nothing to do with PvP. It has everything to do with keeping the expected performance of players within targeted bounds, and keeping those targets reasonable for the difference between a max-geared/specced player and a min-geared/specced player.

PvP is very good at highlighting corner cases of systems where things work poorly. Almost universally, those cases are actually really bad PvE design too. In a game where the PvP and PvE rules are the same, if you see something really frustrating in PvP, it probably shouldn't be that way in PvE either. That doesn't mean we wouldn't change it if PvP weren't in the game - it just means it would be harder to find or identify the offending systems imbalance.

I really feel bad for you because they have your name on something to put another nail in the coffin STO has turned into as of late.
  • Options
    aramyllaramyll Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It is really dumb that your whole justification for this nerf is that when you put 2 level 50 players against each other if one is "complete" as you call it that he would have the advantage. I am sorry but that argument is pointless. Any player that has taken the time to grind all of the reputations that are currently in game does not depend on the passive bonuses to overpower a fesh level 50 player. It is the EQUIPMENT that they use which ultimately decides who has the true advantage. and at this time with the multiple number of high level fleets available a fresh level 50 can cut out that advantage pretty quickly and easily by purchasing fleet gear or acquiring items from the exchange.

We spent months grinding these reputations because they offered us these numerous advantages, specifically so that we can have an advantage over other players that have not put in the time to grind the reputation system. It is unfair that after all the time and resources we put into the reputation system, to which some players have had to do multiple times over for alts, so your just TRIBBLE us over yet again. Forcing people to pick and choose powers will make it so that people will no longer grind certain reputations and only focus on those that have the best powers to offer, because the bonuses from others don't really provide a benefit that they deem worth grinding for.

Is your plan in the future to sell reputation trait slots only available via massive amounts of dilithium, lobi, fleet credits, or even more grinding?

Here is a recommendation so that it uses partially what you just made up to ruin the reputation powers.

Make it so you implement the choosing of powers and respeccing on the fly as you mentioned. Also make it so that we all have 8 space and 8 ground passives slots, but from this point forward any new reputations that are brought into the game provide you with 1 additional space/ground reputation passive abilities slot, that way once we get 2-3 additional reputations we would need to start picking and choosing what passives we use.

So say for example at this time we have 4 reputations providing 8 space and 8 ground passive reputation power slots. Once season 9 begins and we get the undine reputation, we gain 1 space passives slots and 1 ground passive slots for a total of 9 selected passives from a pool of 20available. When the next reputation comes out say anti dominion task force we once again get another 1 space/ground passives slot for that reputation thus we continue to gain passive reputation slots but we will not have access to all of them.

I understand it is important not to discourage new players from participating in pvp and pve content but it is also important not to spit in the face of every player that has spent countless hours and resources grinding your reputation system because you think its unfair to fresh 50 players.

please take this into consideration and don't make all the grinding that we have done over the past year seem like we worked our asses off to gain all the powers and bonuses for nothing.
  • Options
    solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ah, D'Angelo's has his fingerprints all over this. TRIBBLE over the people out of their hard earned stuff. Remember the dilithium conversion fiasco? I wasn't a part of that one but I'm getting slapped under the bus on this one.
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The reason is obvious, and was stated many times.

Implement the new system. Make it 8/8 instead of 4/4.
    At the very least, that way you wouldn't take stuff away from the long term players.

I mean this game lives off its grinding. I am at a loss how Cryptic can even think about hurting the people they are making their money with. It's the grinding swarm which buys new ships.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Well frankly lets all be honest its a needed nerf. :)

Last I checked I could still log in and do a STF run (all 3) in under 10min.

The newer content only takes me longer because Cryptic has ADDED time gates to all of it... obviously because they realize we would decimate it far to fast if they didn't.

So what? STF's are "old" content.
    Its only natural that new content makes old content easier, thats how MMO's work.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    It's not really a sense of entitlement when one has already worked to earn the thing in question.

Its life in a MMO.

Having things dialed down changed is standard and par for the course.

Game revamps happen in every MMO... they happen when a developer decides they must happen. Yes one of the main reasons they happen is power creep issues.

STO has a MAJOR power creep issue.

I am not going to get upset when they start to correct them.

And yes my 16 full rep toons will not all be getting buffs... they will be getting dialed down a bit... still its not nearly enough to make the game viable long term. I know that. So I expect to "loose" more advantages I worked for.... no big deal. I would rather be playing a game that isn't dead... then be one of a 100 people left running around in my Uber Pwning Ships. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ah, D'Angelo's has his fingerprints all over this. TRIBBLE over the people out of their hard earned stuff. Remember the dilithium conversion fiasco? I wasn't a part of that one but I'm getting slapped under the bus on this one.

Yeah I was though...

When season 9 launches even though I'll have been thrown under the bus again by that guy I won't be around to witness it.

Although I should have learned my lesson first time not to stick it out but yeah got it learned now thanks for dev blog cryptic nice knowing you rofl.
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    People will be scared away due to too many changes.

If small changes were made, people will be able to assimilate casually. Once you start making a million changes, players will end up being scared away. People will become concerned over giving Cryptic money, for they will worry about it getting nerfed in the future.
  • Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Everyone agrees the power creep in the game is rampant.
    No one wants to accept a nerf.
    Forums in action, folks.
  • Options
    celillarnoncelillarnon Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My worry isn't so much that now we'll be forced to choose as now there won't be as much choice.

Someone will math out the best powers (probably the critical hit and critical damage ones) and then everyone who knows what they're doing will take them.
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If 8 ground and 8 space is too much, at least make it "8 passives" (ground or space).

I don't care about space combat, and I'm pretty sure many folks here don't care about ground. So I can have my 8 ground passives and they can have their 8 space passives.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    edited March 2014

Yeah, I remember.
    I had enough starfleet merits to buy me 8-9 respecs for my toon that i had ground and saved up.
    After the conversion i didn't even get enough dilithium to get zen for "one" character respec.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    - Keep the individual rep traits as they are now.
    - Increase slots to 8 ground, 8 space.

A cap is placed preventing runaway power creep.
    And everybody gets to keep what they have already worked for and obtained.

Problem solved, everyone wins.

I think 6 or 5 will be better, 8 it's too much, honestly, i never cared that much about rep powers, as i'm more of the space set collector, if i can change them whatever i want, i'm ok with it.
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ...I just don't feel losing half of my reputation passives will be made up by what I see as very minor boosts in their current effectiveness...

This is all really good feedback, and we're happy to look at any Reputation Trait that feels underwhelming in the new system and make sure it's up to snuff. We want them all to feel really potent.

I don't think increasing the number of slots really meets the system revamp's goal of containing power creep or making Reputation trait choices more interesting and fulfilling to make, but as I think I wrote in the blog, everything is still up for discussion pending playtest feedback on Tribble.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • Options
    smoketh2smoketh2 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The issue here isn't power creep its the faith we have in grinding future content only for it to be taken away from us when the lazy devs cant be bothered to make the game more challenging.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The thing I don't understand is that passives are broken down into space & ground (4 each), why not the four actives?

Not that the ground end game is my thing, but what's the point of not seperating active abilities too? By default I'll have four space actives (as soon as/if four space clickables become available) and when a new featured episode comes out I'll re-arrange it to four ground actives when I'm on the ground and switch back for space. Save me the hassle and the steps of swapping by seperating the actives into ground and space too.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Everyone agrees the power creep in the game is rampant.
    No one wants to accept a nerf.
    Forums in action, folks.

We have already proposed perfect solutions that solves both sides of the issue.
    Expanding the slots to 8 ground and 8 space lets everyone keep what they already have and prevents rampant power creep in the process.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Isn't there an inherant assumption in what you're arguing here?

The assumption that a newly minted VA should be able to compete on a level playing ground with a 3 year veteran VA.

Shouldn't the 3 years at VA level count for something?

Shouldn't the guy at 3 years...actually be better at the game from having played it for 3 years? Um...you know? Instead of the guy at 3 years likely being worse because they're so overgeared that they've lost any ability they might have had?
  • Options
    commodoreobviouscommodoreobvious Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Are the changes going to be up on Tribble anytime soon?
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Really? This is a game, the devs are trying to find balance. Unfortunately we as players are losing a significant amount of time that we have invested in the reputation system. This thread is clearly here for feedback. Making comments like yours isn't constructive and won't get anything changed.

That is still how it plays out. Psychologically, taking something hard earned away is a very, very bad thing to do.

This also opens up a precedent. What other stuff of mine will they take away next? What's the guarantee they wont do this again? What will go next? Cryptic, take notes.... ahem, I mean will they make account unlocks character unlocks? Will they limit fleet consoles to 1 per character? Fleet ships one per account? With of course, zen store options to increase these limits?

Nothing, nothing at all. That means that I will not have any reason to achieve anything in STO, because it can be taken away at a snap a finger.

This is also all just a big nerfbat to sell more slots in the future. If Cryptic really cared about the balance, you think they wouldnt rather fix the broken A2B stuff for example?

This is pretty much stealing your time.

Now, this makes grinding reputations (and playing) unecessary. Now you only need to do 2 reputations fully.

Its bad news to those who put effort into the game. This is just.....this is so bad and mean spirited, its funny.

I understand that some developers want to balance things, but I think this is the very worst way to do it.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    So what? STF's are "old" content.
    Its only natural that new content makes old content easier, thats how MMO's work.

There is a big difference between "easier"...

And hard mode dungeon run designed to take 15min takes 2.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    We have already proposed perfect solutions that solves both sides of the issue.
    Expanding the slots to 8 ground and 8 space lets everyone keep what they already have and prevents rampant power creep in the process.

That's not the perfect solution, that's keeping things the way it is.
  • Options
    wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited March 2014
    I like it. My only question is right now we only have 4 tier 5 actives. DOes that mean Tier 5 will have a ground active and space active to choose from.
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    fftt wrote: »
    The thing I don't understand is that passives are broken down into space & ground (4 each), why not the four actives?

Not that the ground end game is my thing, but what's the point of not seperating active abilities too? By default I'll have four space actives (as soon as/if four space clickables become available) and when a new featured episode comes out I'll re-arrange it to four ground actives when I'm on the ground and switch back for space. Save me the hassle and the steps of swapping by seperating the actives into ground and space too.

^^ This i like... like loadouts.. :)
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    dirlettia wrote: »
    Been saying for ages that the number of powers should be limited but really hate that it will likely need a store purchase to repsec out of these very limited selections available at any one time.
    Nope, not a store purchase... it will be free.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
This discussion has been closed.