test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've seen a number of people call this change out specifically, we'll take another look at it or at the base adapt mechanic.

I really do hope that we get to keep that ability.

I so miss the STF Store weapons back from Season 5.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Yea, I already see that this isn't going to be true (under the current dev blog).

Romulan 5% crit and Dyson 20% severity will be an absolute must have to anyone whose primary goal is DPS. The other two might be Omega Weapons training and auxiliary power configuration offense. I can see the Dyson tactical advantage replacing auxiliary power configuration for those who have low auxiliary power (aux to bat builds and such).

Skills like Advanced Hull Reinforcement goes from 5 to 10 resist all. Absolutely does not compete, lol.

Quite, all it means is the "best in slot" just needs to be decided to cover only 8 traits now not 16 or 20 or what ever for the new rep, its not going to stop there being one.
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'll believe that we're allowed to swap out reputation powers without spending Zen when I see it on the live server, and not a second before.
  • ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So you want to create balance between players, despite the fact PVP is pretty much dead? And the only things your focusing on are things we get for free, not things that cost ZEN, aka: real money, like the Scimitar or Jem'Hadar Attack Ship?

Sounds like Cryptic.
  • neok182neok182 Member Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have an even better idea.

Get rid of all the improvements, leave them as is, and leave the max at 8 ground, 8 space, 4 active. (if you want to still do the complete changes to powers that's different, just get rid of the 2x increases)

That way we keep all the same that we currently have but will be forced to remove powers to add powers from new reps.

And any new player can look at the reps and say okay i only want to do these 4 for these powers.

It keeps things where they are now and will stop future power creep by not allowing more than what we already have. it will still stop many veterans from even bothering with future reps, but no where near as bad as dropping us from 8 each to 4.
    ACCESS DENIED
  • chickenlaserschickenlasers Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    NERF NERF NERF this is utter TRIBBLE, so we grind for 40 days to get our rep maxed out only now to lose those abilities? why they are not unbalanced they were endgame and worked for. im sure there are better things for the devs to work on like R&D and how that can be intergrated not to suck. This nerf seems stupid and a waste of time, so far they have been doing good this one falls under sucks. I for one dont feel like having what i worked for taken away from 16 to 4, even if they are stronger there are so many other things to focus on. Like fix the broken TRIBBLE shuttle missions so you dont get stuck on the celieng or that the camera angles dont suck. keep focusing on that vehicle addition that was talked bout to ground battle areas. So many things to do not to nerf what we have had for a long time, its fine it works well so leave it alone. if its isnt broke dont fix it.
  • tmghost999tmghost999 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    •The "Placate" effect of the Romulan Tier 4 Space ability has been replaced with "Weapons Offline" •Base duration of this effect has been increased from 2sec to 4sec
    •This debuff is now cleansed by Engineering Team instead of Science Team

Now a romulan Tac can be the perfect CC....
    + 30% crit chance combined with bfaw means other team won't be using their weapons any time soon.....
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    "Necessary Evil" come to mind... :rolleyes:

Overall, I don't think this will impact me too much. I can live without most of these rep powers anyway.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's just not infinitely scalable. As I pointed out in the blog, if we had 100 reps in the current live setup, the difference in performance between a fresh 50 and a "complete" 50 would be so immense they wouldn't fit in the same proverbial room.

The concern once again is on UI bloat, which these will likely need for you to be able to actively slot them. If you are concerned with having so many reputation passives, then the obvious answer is to stop giving them out with all future reputations, and come up with something else to to give our characters when advancing through them.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's hard to see why anyone would bother with the new rep for season 9?

I guess maybe if the tier 5 active was overwhelmingly powerful.

Otherwise I really can't see any reason to do it, which seems a baffling decision
    by someone wanting people to play the new season.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think this would shut everyone tfu. It allows us to stay as we are currently but moving forward we will be obliged to make choices..

Correct, its a win-win for everyone.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't know, I never cared for STFs and Reputation, but it seems the gap between Rep Players and regular players is getting bigger and bigger.

To me, this is also just an artificial way to extend the playtime. A twist here, a turn there, some new colors and textures, a new map and lets call it Season X.5
  • genemorphgenemorph Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well I guess it is obvious that this will split into two camps those who haven't maxed out all the reps and those who have. The latter having the most to lose. I for one have finished all the reps and am not happy about the proposed changes. Some of those reps I only did for the passive/active collection because their corresponding gear was so terrible, otherwise I would have skipped them.

The time/resources invested in those reps is not adequately covered by the rep powers buffing. I think a fair way to deal with this situation, if the devs are determined to push this through is to grandfather the old system for those characters that already have these powers, and apply this newer system to new additional rep systems only, and new characters.

For anyone in doubt as to how these small rep powers build up to help provide a nice rounded build (but not overpowered), I have some experience in this matter. The first and only time I used a skill respec token I didn't realise that it also reset all the rep powers. Playing a Sci captain in a science vessel the difference was very noticeable, I didn't hit as hard and the survivability was much worse, it was obvious that something wasn't right, and that's when I realised the all rep powers had been reset. What the Devs are suggesting is a a big change for people who spent the time doing all the reps, and personally I think it sucks. Also what incentive is there to actually do any new reps in a system like this? You'll only going to be changing out powers only for better new ones (like the trait system), rather than accumulating them.
  • kevaldtkevaldt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What's next..."Coming in Season 9 - Season of the Nerf Dev blog 6...We keep swinging the nerf bat and now all ship weapon, console and boff slots have been halved! It is a good thing for the players! It will help the new players! And, as a reward for the players who have done the grind all this time we will also give you half of all dil/ec/rep mark rewards you grind for and cutting your current stock of dil/ec/rep marks in half! Because it's not fair that someone who has been grinding for a couple of years has more than a new player! Enjoy all the great improvements!"

SO MUCH THIS!!

Seriously, its the basic idea of this change.... "The new players cant compete!"

Well, maybe they shouldnt have waited so long to play!
    [SIGPIC]InGame - @Darth_Tauri[/SIGPIC]
    Joined - 9/2011
    "You Best Make Peace With Your Dear & Fluffy Lord" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    best thing in a while, thx :)!!!... now what about pvp? :D:rolleyes:
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Considering that Reputation powers are now going to be yet another mini system requiring micro-management depending on our current build/situation, are we going to see it somehow connected to the Ship Loadout system? As in, will our Reputation Powers change depending on the Loadout we've selected, pretty much like with Active Duty Officers?

Kind of related, but at the same time not really - any plans for a "Loadout System" for Ground, considering the upcoming Kit Revamp?
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What's next..."Coming in Season 9 - Season of the Nerf Dev blog 6...We keep swinging the nerf bat and now all ship weapon, console and boff slots have been halved! It is a good thing for the players! It will help the new players! And, as a reward for the players who have done the grind all this time we will also give you half of all dil/ec/rep mark rewards you grind for and cutting your current stock of dil/ec/rep marks in half! Because it's not fair that someone who has been grinding for a couple of years has more than a new player! Enjoy all the great improvements!"

The issue isn't "fairness" its having a game that doesn't die off. Simple as that.

Add so much endless grind that new players have to catch up on and the game dies. A dead game doesn't make them money.

As a player that has been around awhile and earned all your reps you should want new players to not have to grind for 6 months to get where you where when they started 6 months ago. Have you never recommended a game to a friend before ? Inviting new people to a grind fest is unlikely... or a good way to loose a friend I guess. lol :)

The DEVS need to swing another 4 or 5 heavy nerf bats yet... so I think you better prepare yourself Mr. Entitlement. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    neok182 wrote: »
    Essantially the biggest problem with this is that Cryptic is going to LOSE MONEY and players in future reps because many veteran players just won't bother with them.

If vets don't want to do it doesn't mean they're going to LEAVE the game.

I've been playing STO since Open beta, I've yet to max any reps, i'm still playing.
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Very interesting changes. In all honesty, this is how the system should've been designed in the first place. It's nice to see the devs actually responding to the power creep problem. It's unfortunate that some builds will suffer for this, but the game as a whole will be better for it. I love the idea of them being slottable without having to respec, too (and really glad I never got around to buying that rep respec token to fix some bad decisions that were based on my old ship).
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    genemorph wrote: »
    Also what incentive is there to actually do any new reps in a system like this? You'll only going to be changing out powers only for better new ones (like the trait system), rather than accumulating them.

I think this is the area that bothers me about this change.

It seems to be all about nerfing those of us who have run these reps, in order to make things easier for those who haven't.

Recently, cryptic seem to have made a slew of decisions that actively discriminate against veterans of the game.

Whether its very alt unfriendly grinds or rep nerfs, cryptic seem to have forgotten who pays the bills.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Number of slots really need to be doubled or tripled, bare minimum.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yep the end of doing reps for me lol.

For this change since my toons have all reps tier 5 that any future reps will be redundant to even bother doing lol.

I basically themed out all of my characters so unless they go above XII for gear to a high mark I won't need to bother with any new rep gear unless I just want collectibles. I have enough collectors items that aren't anything more than collectors items though like the b'rel and defiant heh.
  • gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hmmm. I think I am 75% for this, and 25% against.

The power creep from rep was beginning to get silly - it could not go on like it was indefinitely.

However, 25% of me feels that 'taking' things away from players is always bad. Though probably on balance, the other changes made (strengthening the individual powers, as well as giving you the ability to change them outside combat) compensate.

Also - kudos to Adjudicatorhawk for taking the time to help explain this to us all - its a daunting task given how strident (and sometimes aggressive) people can be when it comes to cahnges like this. It helps having someone on hand to curb speculation and explain how it is envisaged to work in practice. It makes swallowing a potentially bitter pill easier.
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    adjudicatorhawk;

Love the changes, and i'll test this on tribble as soon as is available, but let me ask you a question, have you ever considered some cross career skills, based on this new system?, like unlock a trait that allows your captain to be a Medical Engineer or a Tactical Science?

I mean, one of the problems i see in the game is that the classes are too rigid, and it could be more flexible with traits unlocks..

Infinite customization :)

anyway, just a tought... love the new changes.
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    neok182 wrote: »
    Essantially the biggest problem with this is that Cryptic is going to LOSE MONEY and players in future reps because many veteran players just won't bother with them.

What's the point of going to T5 on undine unless you want one of the items? you can't even use any of the powers unless you get rid of one, and unless one of those powers is really really good, it won't be worth the amount of time and in-game money we have to put into it.

Sure this helps the PVP people complaining about power creep and new players, but vets who are happy with what they have now have no reason to do a single rep again.

I can say right now looking at the Undine rep, i won't even bother with it unless i just enjoy playing the missions but since i can't use the abilities without losing ones i like and i don't care for any of the items, i have no reason to do this rep and any of it's content.
    |
    You think just because a few people aren't playing the rep content that they'll lose money?

If you play the game right now and just stand around, that's server traffic. That's money. You still get the freedom to choose what powers you want - this isn't as bad as you guys make it out to be.
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    For us to consider the bonus we are currently getting as equal to that which we will have when this nerf hits they would need to double the bonus values of all reputation traits. Most of them got around a 50% increase in whatever way. This is not by any measure 4 dimes for eight nickels.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I wouldn't worry about people stopping to grind reputation just because they must now choose. If the new abilities are interesting, people will want them. And there is a lot more to a reputation then just the abilities - think of the special gear you can get, special bridge officers and what not.

And imagine how things would be in season 12 without this change.

You have 32 passives boosting your performance and enter the newest Elite event, that has been balanced for top tier players. And now some new VA enters the sane elite event without any passives buffing him, and he constantly blows up he's overwhelmed by 4 enemy frigates, while you're two-shotting dreadnaughts.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • aegon1iceaegon1ice Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's just not infinitely scalable. As I pointed out in the blog, if we had 100 reps in the current live setup, the difference in performance between a fresh 50 and a "complete" 50 would be so immense they wouldn't fit in the same proverbial room.

Yeah, I really don't get what you mean here. You are seriously comparing a quick leveled 50 character with a character who spend x years of active duty ingame? Seriously?
    We all know how easy it is to level from 1-50. Gaining all rep powers requires at least 100x more the effort than it takes to get 50. Of course there should be a huge difference between the two characters. This is an apple with oranges comparison you reference here.

On topic:
    I like the fact you can choose of what you want now an being able to switch as you want any time. The only problem and recommendation I have is that we get a loadout feature in order make our lives easier. Otherwise the rep powers system is no different than the old item equip system. Please implement this.

Can I make another suggestion?
    Add one Ground and Space trait slot for each reputation you roll out. This way you achieve both: your intended power distribution to players and offer us a value in gaining T5 in a Reputation. Otherwise it will be a huge downfall here.

So, ATM we have 4 reputations, so 4 slots. With the coming Undine it would make 5. So roll it out with 5 active, 5 ground and 5 space.

And since you are reworking the reputation powers: perhaps it might be a good idea to look at the T5 granted powers. Compared to the time and effort it takes and the balance all lower powers are more worthy and impactfull than the T5 powers. These are quite let downs, especially with the long cooldowns.
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    One thing the few folks that are upset there max rep toons are getting nerfed are missing.

Look over some of the changes. Yes you will be limited to 4 space and 4 ground... but do some math on it. There are only 2 per rep anyway.... and some of the rep passives are in fact getting major buffs. +20% crtd... double the shield pen... 50% more resistance from the dyson rep.

Yes you will have to deactivate a max of 4 from the current system... but the 4 you are keeping are in some cases doubled. Not to mention you can change them out at will... and say take 4 full on offensive ones for PvE and swap to a few defensive ones for Harder content or PvP.

This isn't really a nerf if you look at it with a logical eye. Looking at our current reps this will mean you can drop a few of the ones that don't really help your build... and select ones that do boost your build and find them with major buffs on them now.

Overall this is NOT a nerf at all.... don't just react until you consider how this will honestly effect your builds... this change makes all of my builds stronger.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • roebotsixtyfiveroebotsixtyfive Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Here's an idea, disable these in PvP, but let everyone else who spend weeks (maybe even months) grinding enjoy their reward as most people will not run more than 1 rep gear set, so the other 3 reps will be a waste of time except for these passive buffs.

Granted, I never cared for half these buffs, but 4 seems to be a bit low when there will be 5 reps. Especially since this means you can still keep 4 activate abilities (which is all the current ones) which can be devastating in their own right.

Granted, elite difficulty isn't very hard, maybe an insanity difficulty where dreadnoughts replace battleships, cruisers replace frigates, etc would make up the power difference.

Or, for a better idea, stop adding these buffs altogether, make them not related to combat, such as store costs are 5% lower, like some of the fleet passives.
    sto_forum_sig_gif_by_roebot56-d9as2al.gif
    If you can't solve it logically, solve it like a moron.

51 + 1 Foundry Character Slots is NOT enough. Some of us love our characters. If I want to buy more character slots, why can't I? I couldn't experience the entire Delta Recruitment event without deleting a character.

The Iconians themselves can't time travel because their memories revert, but there is nothing to say an Iconian couldn't write everything she needed to do on a PADD, pin it to herself, travel back, read the PADD, do the tasks and return. Or just get one of her Non-Herald underlings to go back in time for her.

Want a Star Trek themed starship command fan-made Board Game that isn't fiendishly complicated but not so easy it's a joke? Download mine for free here. https://roebot56.deviantart.com/art/BOARD-GAME-R56-s-Starship-Command-STAR-TREK-Edn-682732468 A Stargate version of the game is available from a link in the description.

Oh yeah, I do Foundry missions for both KDFs and Feds. Just search KSTF (Short for Kinas Special Task Force, where Kinas is the name of the Admiral you will be serving under). The earlier ones are less story based and more combat based, while the later ones have a much heavier story element, but keep the large battles.
This discussion has been closed.