test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ESD is not going to improve zone use at ESD.

Comments

• oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    yea disco balls.

Um the silly things run 300 seconds, not 120 seconds.. And yea.. if it were JUST the visual effects that would be cool.. I'd like that.

(I am the original poster for this thread)

I am NOT against disco balls.. I AM however opposed to the forced effect. And when I'm off doing my dance party thing.. I am NOT standing around with my avatar doing nothing. (maybe on your screen, but on mine I am allready dancing, usually a side step or a samba..maybe a nerve tonic dance).

Forcing character actions in combat (immobilizing generally) is no biggy.. but out side of a combat setting..

I am not a conspiricy theorist.. not the way my head works.. and would tend to be the first person to debunk such garbage..

But the disco balls are broken and have not been fixed.. it's been stated by some that its a pranking toy...

Yea ok...

What is the point of putting a pranking toy in a social game other then to create a divisive effect within the game social world? This is not rocket science... and if its what I think it is.. its just stupid.

If cryptic doesn't want someone as a customer or player in the game.. boot 'em.. Wipe their account.. shut 'em down. Get rid of them... I've seen sufficient evidence of policies in place to remove or limit dissenting opinions (ie: No I quit threads etc) No one but no one has any "rights" in this game or these forums other then what Cryptic allows..

If they're going to be our "evil overlords" then they need to stop TRIBBLE around and BE evil overlords. I'd have a lot more respect for their policies if they did.

But instead of clarity, we get pranking toys, and goon squads going around abusing the bugs with the device to harass and discomfit players. And the abusers ativities are not addressed by the GM staff at all. This is essentially giving a minority of players a pass to be bullies on the play ground.

THSI THREAD IS NOT ABOUT THE FREAK"N DISCO BALLS!
    . That's not why I started this thread in the first place. They are just a toy that have been turned BY A MINORITY into a tool to abuse and harass.

Police the abusers, activly, and visibly... fixing the disco balls wouldn't hurt either..

Address the SOCIAL issues negitivly impacting the game social zones, and they'll get used more.

Some of ya'll posting playing disco ball partisan are not getting it. It's not about the disco balls...they are just a toy, and in some case misused as a tool.

It the abuse, and creating of a hostile social environment that needs to be addressed. Fixing the disco balls would help, but the greater issue would be still there.

No matter how much they dress up and improve ESD its not going to change the core problem. There is 20 plus years of experience running MMO's in the industry. Social hubs have to be policed and monitored or your going to have upset players that learn to just avoid them... after a while.. an attitude sets in, and it becomes permanant.

Cryptic studio devs have stated in public pod casts over the last few months that they want to address the under utilization of the games primary social hubs. The ESD revamp will address the asthetic issues and convenience of players using ESD and I've been on tribble.. It's a hell of an improvement. Gonna be great.. But unless the zones are activly policed by GM's it won't last.

I am older then most of you. I'm a grandfather.. I have grand kids. Scream all you want about the illusion of some sort of rights in this virtual world all you want. The reality is you have zero rights other then to come in, play, and give money to Cryptic studio's and PWI for something that is a illusion. None of it is real. You shell out a $100 for zen.. get ships what ever.. they do not exist out side of the game. You do not own anything here.

All you really have out of it is an experience. That experience can be good or bad. Part of it depends on YOUR view point. But only part of it. You will interact with other players. Its unavoidable. It is an MMO... MULTIPLAYER... Those other players will enhance or detract from the experience. If you think they can't.. well.. you are seriously ignorant. and possibly insane.

We are social animals..the social experience can be good, or bad. And your attitude toward it not only has minimal impact or importance. How you feel about the interactions with other players in the game is what is going to color your view. Not how you think.. How You Feel.

plug a trek moment in here... Computer to Spock: "How do you feel?"

Happy customers are more likely to spend money, stick around, and spend more money, and say good things about the service you provide. Unhappy customers eventually leave and say nasty things about your product and the service you provide. This is a hard lesson that any retail store operator learns early on if they're going to stay in business.

Customers exhibiting strong feeling of discontent and unhappiness is BAD!

If the cause of the unhappiness and discontent is obvious (and it is pretty clearly visible here) then it needs to be addressed. And it should be addressed while the product and service is maturing (which STO is) ... when a product hits its peak of maturity this sort of issue needs to be out of the way.. its need to be a non issue. If it is still an issue. or it left off and not addressed then the life time of your product or service will be reduced.

This MMO with its Trek IP licence is going to have the effects skewed in unpredictable ways.
    My experience with watching this industry it cryptic is going to be seeing a backlash from their policies if it is not addressed.

That would be bad. I'd rather NOT see that happen. SO please, step back, get out side of your own heads, grow up a little and realize this is a social game, a social space.

The game systems.. eh? ugh many of em kinda stink ok.. it's the players that are going to make it enjoyable.. the game mechanics impact that, but its all about the players. And its a social activity.. If you let folks run around playing "Playground bully" its going to reflect on the product.. and more importantly, the experience.. and that IS what is the product. Not the starships, uniforms, artwork.. those are all means to an end.. the experience is what your selling.

Do your best to ensure your customers have a good, positive fun experience, and money you shall make. Even if in the end all they take with them when all is said and done is memories. But a small group of unhappy customers can have an impact all out of proportion to their numbers. And a small group of abusers can effect the enjoyment of a much larger group of your customers.

One selfish jerk can utterly ruin a party... show their jerky selves out the nearest door and slam it behind 'em, and the party will mosly if not entirely recover.. and your guests will be more likely to want to show up to your next party ya know? it's really that simple.

P.S. Be aware that there are a few small fleets with not all that many members that have self elected themselves as a sort of morality police in STO who make a point of flashing party amps and such. They do it specificly to harass and annoy target social groups.. I guess because its a proven fact judging from the results that they can totally get away with it. They certainly have no respect for cryptic policies other then when they can use them as a tool to harass or discomfit their chosen targets. And they clearly get away with it. That is a different matter specificly from what I have tried to address here, but it is connected. Better policing of the game, and they would not be doing what they do.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • breaky01breaky01 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Do you get paid by the word?
  • jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    breaky01 wrote: »
    Do you get paid by the word?

Unless he's a millionaire, I doubt it.

Anyway, Khemeraa, you're overreacting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tenelltenell Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    yea disco balls.

Um the silly things run 300 seconds, not 120 seconds.. And yea.. if it were JUST the visual effects that would be cool.. I'd like that.

I am NOT against disco balls.. I AM however opposed to the forced effect. And when I'm off doing my dance party thing.. I am NOT standing around with my avatar doing nothing. (maybe on your screen, but on mine I am allready dancing, usually a side step or a samba..maybe a nerve tonic dance).

Forcing character actions in combat (immobilizing generally) is no biggy.. but out side of a combat setting..

I am not a conspiricy theorist.. not the way my head works.. and would tend to be the first person to debunk such garbage..

But the disco balls are broken and have not been fixed.. it's been stated by some that its a pranking toy...

Yea ok...

What is the point of putting a pranking toy in a social game other then to create a divisive effect within the game social world? This is not rocket science... and if its what I think it is.. its just stupid.

If cryptic doesn't want someone as a customer or player in the game.. boot 'em.. Wipe their account.. shut 'em down. Get rid of them... I've seen sufficient evidence of policies in place to remove or limit dissenting opinions (ie: No I quit threads etc) No one but no one has any "rights" in this game or these forums other then what Cryptic allows..

If they're going to be our "evil overlords" then they need to stop TRIBBLE around and BE evil overlords. I'd have a lot more respect for their policies if they did.

But instead of clarity, we get pranking toys, and goon squads going around abusing the bugs with the device to harass and discomfit players. And the abusers ativities are not addressed by the GM staff at all. This is essentially giving a minority of players a pass to be bullies on the play ground.

. That's not why I started this thread in the first place. They are just a toy that have been turned BY A MINORITY into a tool to abuse and harass.

Police the abusers, activly, and visibly... fixing the disco balls wouldn't hurt either..

Address the SOCIAL issues negitivly impacting the game social zones, and they'll get used more.

Some of ya'll posting playing disco ball partisan are not getting it. It's not about the disco balls...they are just a toy, and in some case misused as a tool.

It the abuse, and creating of a hostile social environment that needs to be addressed. Fixing the disco balls would help, but the greater issue would be still there.

No matter how much they dress up and improve ESD its not going to change the core problem. There is 20 plus years of experience running MMO's in the industry. Social hubs have to be policed and monitored or your going to have upset players that learn to just avoid them... after a while.. an attitude sets in, and it becomes permanant.

Cryptic studio devs have stated in public pod casts over the last few months that they want to address the under utilization of the games primary social hubs. The ESD revamp will address the asthetic issues and convenience of players using ESD and I've been on tribble.. It's a hell of an improvement. Gonna be great.. But unless the zones are activly policed by GM's it won't last.

I am older then most of you. I'm a grandfather.. I have grand kids. Scream all you want about the illusion of some sort of rights in this virtual world all you want. The reality is you have zero rights other then to come in, play, and give money to Cryptic studio's and PWI for something that is a illusion. None of it is real. You shell out a $100 for zen.. get ships what ever.. they do not exist out side of the game. You do not own anything here.

All you really have out of it is an experience. That experience can be good or bad. Part of it depends on YOUR view point. But only part of it. You will interact with other players. Its unavoidable. It is an MMO... MULTIPLAYER... Those other players will enhance or detract from the experience. If you think they can't.. well.. you are seriously ignorant. and possibly insane.

We are social animals..the social experience can be good, or bad. And your attitude toward it not only has minimal impact or importance. How you feel about the interactions with other players in the game is what is going to color your view. Not how you think.. How You Feel.

Happy customers are more likely to spend money, stick around, and spend more money, and say good things about the service you provide. Unhappy customers eventually leave and say nasty things about your product and the service you provide. This is a hard lesson that any retail store operator learns early on if they're going to stay in business.

If the cause of the unhappiness and discontent is obvious (and it is pretty clearly visible here) then it needs to be addressed. And it should be addressed while the product and service is maturing (which STO is) ... when a product hits its peak of maturity this sort of issue needs to be out of the way.. its need to be a non issue. If it is still an issue. or it left off and not addressed then the life time of your product or service will be reduced.

This MMO with its Trek IP licence is going to have the effects skewed in unpredictable ways.
    My experience with watching this industry it cryptic is going to be seeing a backlash from their policies if it is not addressed.

That would be bad. I'd rather NOT see that happen. SO please, step back, get out side of your own heads, grow up a little and realize this is a social game, a social space.

The game systems.. eh? ugh many of em kinda stink ok.. it's the players that are going to make it enjoyable.. the game mechanics impact that, but its all about the players. And its a social activity.. If you let folks run around playing "Playground bully" its going to reflect on the product.. and more importantly, the experience.. and that IS what is the product. Not the starships, uniforms, artwork.. those are all means to an end.. the experience is what your selling.

Do your best to ensure your customers have a good, positive fun experience, and money you shall make. Even if in the end all they take with them when all is said and done is memories. But a small group of unhappy customers can have an impact all out of proportion to their numbers. And a small group of abusers can effect the enjoyment of a much larger group of your customers.

One selfish jerk can utterly ruin a party... show their jerky selves out the nearest door and slam it behind 'em, and the party will mosly if not entirely recover.. and your guests will be more likely to want to show up to your next party ya know? it's really that simple.

P.S. Be aware that there are a few small fleets with not all that many members that have self elected themselves as a sort of morality police in STO who make a point of flashing party amps and such. They do it specificly to harass and annoy target social groups.. I guess because its a proven fact judging from the results that they can totally get away with it. They certainly have no respect for cryptic policies other then when they can use them as a tool to harass or discomfit their chosen targets. And they clearly get away with it. That is a different matter specificly from what I have tried to address here, but it is connected. Better policing of the game, and they would not be doing what they do.

So once again you are doing your effort TL;DR post in a video game where you yourself stated nobody has any power over anything except the devs yet you make it your crusade to continue on something that once again you yourself have been experiencing for 3 years and nothing has changed. For an old guy one would think you would learn by now that if nothing is going to be done or change why keep banging your head against the wall hoping things will change theres a simple definition for that its called insanity. So please go ahead and keep beating the dead horse and banging your head against a wall that will never move like you said yourself.

Also by now the only reason why you even bother effort posting is that you probably got hit by a disco ball somewhere and went off the deep end again. :rolleyes:
    RlZDKhp.gif
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It is regrettable that so much shameful content is allowed on STO, such as the idiot horns, trolling balls, etc etc.

Shameful behavior shouldn't be encouraged. Keep ESD pure of all contamination and corruption.

Translation:

"My Roleplaying is not as realistic anymore! How can I explain my life story about growing up on Romulus and being a descendant of Spock if my 'toon is dancing!?!?" lol
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    yea disco balls.

But the disco balls are broken and have not been fixed.. it's been stated by some that its a pranking !!toy...

Yea ok...

China called. They want their wall back.:rolleyes:
  • rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The new ESD is 3-4 times bigger than the old one, so ragers have 3-4 times the space to avoid the disco balls then. :D
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • heraanheraan Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Askray
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Translation:

"My Roleplaying is not as realistic anymore! How can I explain my life story about growing up on Romulus and being a descendant of Spock if my 'toon is dancing!?!?" lol

Translation:

"My nonsense isn't as fun if I can't impose it on others! How can I get any enjoyment out of griefing people if I can't force them to dance!?!?"
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,544 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Alrighty then, since we're playing the age card, I turned 52 last month.

- The new ESD, while nicer looking, is just window dressing. Meh. A new coat of paint on a jalopy does not magically turn it into a Ferrari. There is more to a Ferrari than two coats of Cino Rossi.
    - I have no objections to people RPing. I RP. While I am not a zealot about it, I do enjoy it.
    - Some people playing STO don't like RP. Just like some people don't like playing Klink.
    - I usually do not, as a rule, use Disco Balls around people I don't know or in public areas. I highly resent any implication to the contrary. Regardless of how oblique it may be.
    - As I stated in previous posts, there are more than enough ways to RP without drawing attention. While I'd like a better policing of the game, I can see where such would be problematic at best and downright aggravating at worst.
    - I dislike people demanding I play this game a certain way in a certain manner when they ARE NOT affiliated or employed by pwe/cryptic. Reason? Because I do not do so repeatedly in public. For me to make these sorts of peremptory demands upon complete strangers would be rude and ill mannered. It also smells very strongly of disrespect for those whose viewpoint differs from mine. I make a reasonable effort to follow the game ToS. While I am hopeful others will do so as well, I am not naive enough to expect this to be the case all of the time. Nor do I expect someone from pwe/cryptic to come running ASAP because Little Billy is using bad words on the playground.

I am looking forward to the new ESD somewhat. I do go there from time to time. I do not expect others to bow before me when I do so because I have played the game longer than they have or because I have been a Star Trek fan longer than they have or because I am more important than they are.

There are a great many things about STO I dislike. There are a great many people playing STO whose actions are not what I think they should be. Whenever either of these occur, I check my Man Card. Then, I either ignore it or move to someplace else. When I cannot do so, I simply ignore whatever it is. Without drama or hysterics or teeth gnashing. When the trolls fail to get a reaction, they get bored and move on.

Yes, it really is this simple, people.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So I've read most of this thread, and quite frankly I disagree.

ESD, DS9, and a few other places are the most popular zones in the game. Why? Because they're major hubs. They always will be and they will also be filled. 8-10 zones for ESD? You do realize you don't see EVERY number right? So for example if it's only showing you the max number of 76 with a sprinkling of other zones ( 10, 32, 15, 9 for example) that means that EVERY other zone from 1-76 with the exclusion of those zones are FULL.

That means (roughly and i do mean roughly) as a max instance is 75 people, 75 x 76 = 5700 people in that area alone. Now granted that's a very rough estimate assuming every instance in the zone is full. But roughly that's a lot of people.

As for your premise that the zone will not be used? I highly HIGHLY disagree. Yes, the disco balls for you are annoying. As a person that's done the radio personality thing for years before even STO existed, along with in STO and other MMO's, I can understand your frustration as to why you think it won't go anywhere and for the single purpose as you hate the disco balls, party poppers etc.

Guess what? I've been harassed, bothered, heckled, and more that I cannot go into in MMO's and you know what I do? IGNORE IT ALL. Yes granted there was one incident but that involved real life and was handled as well :) But ultimately, I kept doing what I'm doing or I even include those that are doing the heckling to make them have fun as well. Keeping up these kinds of posts makes those that want to cause you problems realize, they are doing what they are wanting to do. To troll you and obviously, as I've been here quite some time, it's working.

So will ESD not be used as much as they hope? HEH probably a lot more than they even imagined because it's a very nice zone. Rule of thumb when you do parties in ANY mmo -

If you want it to be a private function away from possible griefers or hecklers, don't do it in public. If you do it in public you're accepting those problems could arise and while yes the GM's may or may not take any report seriously (I cannot say if they will or won't on every single situation) you have other options to utilize and if you won't then, and not to be rude, that's your own fault. Not the games.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    -snip-.
    I'll be 55 This July and I've reached a stage in my life where I no longer feel the need to jump through hoops set by people offering dubious rewards. I know with some degree of certainty that demands for conformity never end and the strictures desired by some people for social zones would virtually eliminate the social aspect of those areas, ultimately forcing players into the roles of well behaved Star Trek automatons, an outcome that might please a niche' group but hardly a representative majority of the users who would likely avoid such areas for being too strict and limiting.
    No matter how many times and how many thinly veiled and oblique approaches are made at the issue, the die is cast, Cryptic has made party items a part of the game and no amount of melodramatic rhetoric can disguise how easily ignorable these devices are.
    The only people being disturbed by these things are the people looking to be disturbed by these things, everyone else just ignores them.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • logos1326logos1326 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Can't believe this thread is still going...
    I don't like the disco balls and party poppers either but I'm old enough to realize this is a game, people play games to have fun, and to some people shooting off balloons and disco balls like a 3 year old is fun. If it really is that bothersome, STO is a big place, just find another instance or another starbase. ESD is a PUBLIC PLACE. What does that mean? It means just the same as if you are holding up signs in a public park. People will react to what you are doing and sometimes that reaction will be something you will not like.
    The game gives you customizeable starship interiors, that include a bar area for socializing. Gather the RP group and assemble on a starship and RP it is a starbase or make a fleet and build your own private RP starbase. And for gods sake turn off zone chat if you can't stand it, please. I did a long time ago and don't miss it one bit.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    here is a radical idea if you really hate disco balls or party poppers I would have I piece of advice, if you cant beat them join them.
    get yourself a party popper off the exchange and the next time someone lets off a disco ball or party popper join in, at the very least if they have done it to annoy you they will see your not bothered and move on but at best you will begin to realise that these items are actually great fun and can easily be incorerated into a role playing game as a handy prop.

you may also like to consider that anyone using one of these items might just be having fun with some other mate of his in the area and may be totally oblivious to your presence or the fact that you dislike these items.

but at the end of the day until the devs remove these items from the game or restrict their use there is not much else you can do about it.

also if you don't like to see others chat did you know you can restrict the chat you see in you window by creating a private channel and selecting only to see the chat on that channel.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My entire takeaway from this thread: "When the new ESD goes live on Holodeck, expect another massive forum tidal wave of RP junkies demanding PWE/Cryptic dump massive resources into kissing their hineys."

I'd guess at least 5 "Ban disco balls from ESD" threads within 48 hours for starters.
    stararmy wrote: »
    And I hope that will encourage players to act like they're in Star Trek and not in an MMO.

Yeah, good luck with that.
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    askray wrote: »
    So I've read most of this thread, and quite frankly I disagree.

ESD, DS9, and a few other places are the most popular zones in the game. Why? Because they're major hubs. They always will be and they will also be filled. 8-10 zones for ESD? You do realize you don't see EVERY number right? So for example if it's only showing you the max number of 76 with a sprinkling of other zones ( 10, 32, 15, 9 for example) that means that EVERY other zone from 1-76 with the exclusion of those zones are FULL.

That means (roughly and i do mean roughly) as a max instance is 75 people, 75 x 76 = 5700 people in that area alone. Now granted that's a very rough estimate assuming every instance in the zone is full. But roughly that's a lot of people.

As for your premise that the zone will not be used? I highly HIGHLY disagree. Yes, the disco balls for you are annoying. As a person that's done the radio personality thing for years before even STO existed, along with in STO and other MMO's, I can understand your frustration as to why you think it won't go anywhere and for the single purpose as you hate the disco balls, party poppers etc.

Guess what? I've been harassed, bothered, heckled, and more that I cannot go into in MMO's and you know what I do? IGNORE IT ALL. Yes granted there was one incident but that involved real life and was handled as well :) But ultimately, I kept doing what I'm doing or I even include those that are doing the heckling to make them have fun as well. Keeping up these kinds of posts makes those that want to cause you problems realize, they are doing what they are wanting to do. To troll you and obviously, as I've been here quite some time, it's working.

So will ESD not be used as much as they hope? HEH probably a lot more than they even imagined because it's a very nice zone. Rule of thumb when you do parties in ANY mmo -

If you want it to be a private function away from possible griefers or hecklers, don't do it in public. If you do it in public you're accepting those problems could arise and while yes the GM's may or may not take any report seriously (I cannot say if they will or won't on every single situation) you have other options to utilize and if you won't then, and not to be rude, that's your own fault. Not the games.

I agree with you for the most part sir.
    The new ESD will be used aplenty I have no doubt and its a fantastic design.
    What I will say and I think many many players will agree on is that ESD chat is often not a good place to look for sto, star trek, or even any kind of civil human conversation.
    Soso many times I have seen fleet members commenting on some of the (sometimes very politically incorrect) incoherent babble they have seen going on there. And I rarely if ever use it as a result of some of the most uncool chat and trolling that I have personally seen there.
    It needs moderation really.
    Aside from this I look forward to the new ESD design and will spend allot of time there, allbeit with the zone chat off.
    I think it looks fantastic :)
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    logos1326 wrote: »
    Can't believe this thread is still going...
    I don't like the disco balls and party poppers either but I'm old enough to realize this is a game, people play games to have fun, and to some people shooting off balloons and disco balls like a 3 year old is fun. If it really is that bothersome, STO is a big place, just find another instance or another starbase. ESD is a PUBLIC PLACE. What does that mean? It means just the same as if you are holding up signs in a public park. People will react to what you are doing and sometimes that reaction will be something you will not like.
    The game gives you customizeable starship interiors, that include a bar area for socializing. Gather the RP group and assemble on a starship and RP it is a starbase or make a fleet and build your own private RP starbase. And for gods sake turn off zone chat if you can't stand it, please. I did a long time ago and don't miss it one bit.

If people are that upset about the party stuff, I hope to high heaven they never visit San Francisco. :rolleyes:
    edited March 2014
    varzec wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind seeing a kick from instance type of mechanic if enough people complain about a disrupter.

This would be so beautiful. Why?

Because of how often the "disruptor" annoying large numbers of people is a militant RP-er raising hell about everyone else "having fun wrong." So sure, this system of "majority vote rules" would indeed have a major impact on the situation when "the usual suspects" went off on their usual "rip into everyone else in the instance" hissy-fits.

Of course it'd also flood these forums with a half-dozen or so RP-ers on never-ending tirades about being "harassed" by a mechanism they'd insist was there solely for their own use. :rolleyes:
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This would be so beautiful. Why?

Because of how often the "disruptor" annoying large numbers of people is a militant RP-er raising hell about everyone else "having fun wrong." So sure, this system of "majority vote rules" would indeed have a major impact on the situation when "the usual suspects" went off on their usual "rip into everyone else in the instance" hissy-fits.

Of course it'd also flood these forums with a half-dozen or so RP-ers on never-ending tirades about being "harassed" by a mechanism they'd insist was there solely for their own use. :rolleyes:

The irony of your post is that when a thread pops up about social items, it's almost immediately flooded by a gang of disgruntled griefers (some organized) who will do and say anything to ensure their precious griefing tools are left untouched.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what responsible players lose by Cryptic providing everyone an option to toggle social items on/off...
  • jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The ONLY reason I visit ESD is because the academy gives me doffs for the fleet projects and it is the only place for boff training,

Aside from that I would never go there, no matter how cool and fancy it looks. If ESD makes the shipyard as easy to access as DS9 (just walk down the hall, no different room to load) then I might start actually preferring ESD.
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ya know peoples.. folks don't play MMO's for any reason other then recreation and escaping from the "Real world" it.."Interactive entertainment"

Askray... I am not you, you are not me... and niether is anyone else playing STO...

some are puree pew pew gamers.. some are trek fans looking for a little fantasy about being a starship captain, boldly going etc..

I get on these forums and I do have to work at keeping it civil.. It's not easy. Am I overly emotional? Hell if I know.. thats a subjective opinion and is going to change depending on who you ask.

But I do care about this community, and i want to see folks enjoy themselves with out being harassed..... 'cluding myself.

I've made myself a big target. I catch it on the forum, and I catch it even worse in game, but I'm still here, and I'm still trying to do my part to at least point at where the game, and the experience can be made better.

The prank toys do not imporve the game experience.. their just prank toys.

And some of your "fellow" DJ's may quite strongly disagree with you.. For that matter, i know they do. They just want to play music, and see their listeners in game enjoy thems selves and have a good time..

AGAIN, thats not the post thread is about. All the other gold MMO's I've played police disruptive activity in game.. 'cept this one.

Mister D'Angelo, the executive producer for star trek online (ultimately THE Man) has stated that he feels the games primary social hub which is ESD is underutilized in public interviews.

Mr. Askray. For the games population, they likely are, or he would not have said they were, and all that effort to revamp ESD (Again!) would not be needed or required. But the boss mans perception is it is needed, and I certainly hope it helps.. of course I play KDF primarily and use or lack there of of ESD.. not an issue to me. I could care less from a selfish, self centered point of view. Gosh wouldn't that be mean of me!

I would imagine that such an attitude on my part would be very negatively received.

One of the reason smart Deveopers pay attention to apparent minority opinions in their forums is because less then 1 percent of the user base ever posts anything in any specifc titles forums.. They don't like something, they just don't log into the game anymore, and you never see them again. And any perception of crappy customer support at any level get amplified rapidly. Two years ago a sample pole was done on peoples feeling about this studios customer support.. I saw those results.. They really stunk.

Customer support in an MMO includes the percieved activities of a MMO titles GM staff.

After a few hundred GM tickets submitted concerning in game harassment/trolling etc, theoretically submitted with screen shots (I honestly don't believe they are..I got no proof, and after 4 years of being a KDF player zero reason to have any confidence in much the studio says) . I can pretty much say with confidence that for all practical purposes there are no GM's. You never see them, and I have yet to see any proof of their activity in game.

That's after 4 years of play. Said GM's may exist, but i have never seen any proof of their existence. And at that level, Cryptic customer support still stinks.

And regardless of YOUR opinion, its immaterial... it what a few hundred thousand users think together, and what their action reflect.

Cryptic, get your people in game, get visible, and deal with the trouble makers IN GAME where it will be seen. Get to working on changing perceptions. Your making plenty of money.. spend some on visiable in game support in the form of GM staff, and police the game...

And if player want to be pissy about having to mind their P's and Q's around ESD or any of the other social hubs to damd bad. Public opinion in the western world is you do not have a right to go around being a disruptive jerk in public. If excessive it can get you thrown into a jail cell. A Virtual reality shared with other people is just as public as any real world venue.

Ok, back to doing stuff much more fun then posting on these forums, which I only do because I do give a damd.

If the rest of you really want to live in a virtual cesspool, and make excuses as to why its ok to do so, and everyone else should be happy with it you just go right ahead, I will even do my part to protect and defend what I feel is your RIGHT to do so... but I'll still tell your wrong.

*shakes head in sadness*
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • spacegoatcx#8996 spacegoatcx Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    http://imgur.com/a/UwzPC

Above we see evidence of you and Grom engaged in an SSR party with disco balls in use, these screenshots taken personally by myself less than 20 minutes ago. The disco balls themselves are being dropped by another SSR DJ.

Any point you may have hoped to have is officially dead.
    FvMLllF.jpg
    edited March 2014
    I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what responsible players lose by Cryptic providing everyone an option to toggle social items on/off...

I've no idea, myself. I'm all for such a toggle that, client-side, disables all such effects for the person who just can't handle not being 110% in control at every second.

I admit I'm mostly for it not because of it actually solving anything, but just to see what the anti-disco-ball screamers would move to next given how most of them seem to thrive on raising unholy hell about anyone not playing their way, aka "The One True Way."

-shrug-
  • heraanheraan Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I liked the bit where you talk about defending peoples right to do things you don't agree with in a thread about implementing heavier moderation on chat and item usage.
  • logos1326logos1326 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've no idea, myself. I'm all for such a toggle that, client-side, disables all such effects for the person who just can't handle not being 110% in control at every second.

I admit I'm mostly for it not because of it actually solving anything, but just to see what the anti-disco-ball screamers would move to next given how most of them seem to thrive on raising unholy hell about anyone not playing their way, aka "The One True Way."

-shrug-

/agreed

There is already a way to turn zone chat off, to ignore people, and to create your own private chats, but as we can see that is not enough either.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    And they say I'm Evil :confused:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If the party items do not disrupt players conducting business (such as using the bank, vendors, exchange, etc) by interrupting avatar interaction, then it's all jelly. Nothing is broken.

Don't like it? Role play in private instances. Do these things annoy you? Change instances, or use another hub for conducting business.

Does ESD Zone Chat offend your delicate sensitivities? Then disable Zone Chat. It's as easy as 1...2...3.

Don't claim that you are being wronged when the game's developers give you options to avoid annoyances. Nobody is dictating that you (the player) have to put up with things that annoy you. So, don't dictate others, fun or suppress the free (if sometimes stupid) interaction on Zone Chat. There are ways to easily avoid such, using what the game provides you, and still enjoy your own brand of fun.

On a side note: I may get dinged for this and apologize to the Mods in advance. But to the Pedobear from earlier in the thread, I say this: You are sick, and I hope you rot for looking at kids as sex objects. Targeting children online for sex fantasy roleplay is no different than actual molestation. Period. I hope the ******ned FBI Party Van comes for your TRIBBLE one day. Preferably soon.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    And they say I'm Evil :confused:

As far as I'm concerned, no. Even if you take childish jabs at my homeland every now and then. Right to opinion, and all that.

Plus, you have awesome sig pics.
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you let a chat box keep you from going to an area, or playing the game, the issue is with you. The Chat Box can be easily ignored by minimizing it. Or, you can even opt out of the Zone chat by selecting the option to not display the zone chat, or local. It is very customizable. This of course goes without saying that chatting in the chat box is completely optional and voluntary. Just as reading it is.
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think the point is that this is supposed to be a "social" hub and most of what can be seen there at times is most anti-social. It seems to me that this sometimes is not the place the devs want it to be in terms of "social" interaction.
    In real life and indeed most games now there is moderation of some kind, this seems to be absent from esd,this is why many people use drozana or ds9 though these places are not entirely free of unpleasantness.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".