test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Arcgames.com is Ready for your Feedback

Comments

• lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    I don't appreciate that when you install the arc launcher, it hijacks whatever installation you have to point to damn C:\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en. Leave my game alone, I didn't ask for you to hijack it that way. Now I have to use Steam to get things back to normal.

Edit: This is so damn annoying. Gladly I still have a copy of the game in my other laptop, it's just a pain to have to copy this back again. At least give an advanced option to keep things as-is. Why the hell did it have to sniff out where my old launcher was and TRIBBLE with it? Going to have to look through the registry because I'm guessing something was changed over there otherwise, I'll have to roll back my computer to two days ago.

Edit 2: A system restore brought back my installation to how it used to work. Will make it a habit to create a restore point before installing arc because of some "carrot" they put in front of me to try to use it.
  • jamiemoriartyjamiemoriarty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    I don't appreciate that when you install the arc launcher, it hijacks whatever installation you have to point to damn C:\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en. Leave my game alone, I didn't ask for you to hijack it that way. Now I have to use Steam to get things back to normal.

Edit: This is so damn annoying. Gladly I still have a copy of the game in my other laptop, it's just a pain to have to copy this back again. At least give an advanced option to keep things as-is. Why the hell did it have to sniff out where my old launcher was and TRIBBLE with it? Going to have to look through the registry because I'm guessing something was changed over there otherwise, I'll have to roll back my computer to two days ago.

Edit 2: A system restore brought back my installation to how it used to work. Will make it a habit to create a restore point before installing arc because of some "carrot" they put in front of me to try to use it.

The ONLY reason I installed ARC is because of the free Ferengi Shuttle and Lobi Crystals they're giving to ARC users(see "carrot" above). I already HAVE the WoK outfits, I don't need those.

Besides, on my laptop, Steam's still buggy and laggy as hell, and it's at the latest update.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    I already HAVE the WoK outfits, I don't need those.

The Khan outfits are not the WoK uniforms. They are exclusive to Arc.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The Khan outfits are not the WoK uniforms. They are exclusive to Arc.

Yeah those old uniform unlocks where to resemble the heroes from the movie....the ARC ones resemble the guys who took over the ship and left the Vets behind....kinda fitting these where the introduction to ARC. :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP477tkdJ4E
  • grace58grace58 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    catstarsto wrote: »
    Yeah those old uniform unlocks where to resemble the heroes from the movie....the ARC ones resemble the guys who took over the ship and left the Vets behind....kinda fitting these where the introduction to ARC. :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP477tkdJ4E

Use this link, it's much better ^_^

http://youtu.be/YllXtbNikxc
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Still waiting for a nice handy Ignore List.

Seriously, go look at General Discussion- there are at least 2 chronic creators of troll threads, spamming like Hormel. Never seeing another post from either waste of forum space would be no loss to anyone except the trolls themselves. To steal the RP zealots' favorite twisted argument, why does Cryptic defend these people's right to break the rules rather than enforcing them, and why can't we have the tools to free ourselves of their negative effects since Cryptic can't be bothered to do anything about it?
  • sabremeister1sabremeister1 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm perceiving a general trend to the posts here. The only people who seem to not to want to burn ARC at the stake and bury it a crossroads are those who play more than one game by PWE. Almost everybody else, including me, only play STO, and we play it because it's Star Trek, not because it's a game. For what appears to be the vast majority of us, ARC offers nothing, adds no in-game functionality or perks, and will actually make our gaming experience worse because it continues running in the background when STO is launched.

Let me re-iterate:
    • Almost everybody who has replied to this thread have said they do not want ARC

They have said they do not want ARC because:
    • It offers us nothing, mainly because we only play STO
    • It adds no functionality to the game
    • We get no direct benefits in STO for using ARC
    • It will make our gaming experience worse due to increased concurrent system requirements
    • It is effectively spyware

Those who have not said they do not want ARC:
    • Have not gone so far as to welcome it
    • Are mainly saying they only want it because they play other games from PWE

So Cryptic, address these issues, or I strongly suspect, given the content of this thread, that if ARC becomes mandatory, you will LOSE a LOT of players.
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Lol, its more then just the Gestapo arc program now, look at the division and demoralization they are causing by stripping people of their grinded and promised abilities from last season... the players who decided to cling-on to the ARCside will now speak up to defend everything they do. This might have been intentionally to take the heat off of themselves. Like I said before, ARc was just the beginning, now the bad stuff begins! This includes the division and loss of friends over the massnerfing, people leaving the game leaving only the obedient players...I guess we can call it the "Arc Massacre" :P (the killing off of their loyal players)
  • tjexcimer500tjexcimer500 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm perceiving a general trend to the posts here. The only people who seem to not to want to burn ARC at the stake and bury it a crossroads are those who play more than one game by PWE. Almost everybody else, including me, only play STO, and we play it because it's Star Trek, not because it's a game. For what appears to be the vast majority of us, ARC offers nothing, adds no in-game functionality or perks, and will actually make our gaming experience worse because it continues running in the background when STO is launched.

Let me re-iterate:
    • Almost everybody who has replied to this thread have said they do not want ARC

They have said they do not want ARC because:
    • It offers us nothing, mainly because we only play STO
    • It adds no functionality to the game
    • We get no direct benefits in STO for using ARC
    • It will make our gaming experience worse due to increased concurrent system requirements
    • It is effectively spyware

Those who have not said they do not want ARC:
    • Have not gone so far as to welcome it
    • Are mainly saying they only want it because they play other games from PWE

So Cryptic, address these issues, or I strongly suspect, given the content of this thread, that if ARC becomes mandatory, you will LOSE a LOT of players.

My guild plays more than one PWE game and none of us want ARC!
    There are Four Lights... say no to ARC
    Fleet: 1st Order of Role-Players' Guild - gaming together since 2004
  • sparkiesoftsparkiesoft Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 47
    edited April 2014
    Still waiting for a nice handy Ignore List.

Seriously, go look at General Discussion- there are at least 2 chronic creators of troll threads, spamming like Hormel. Never seeing another post from either waste of forum space would be no loss to anyone except the trolls themselves. To steal the RP zealots' favorite twisted argument, why does Cryptic defend these people's right to break the rules rather than enforcing them, and why can't we have the tools to free ourselves of their negative effects since Cryptic can't be bothered to do anything about it?

I'll let the devs know, but last I checked it was in the works.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'll let the devs know, but last I checked it was in the works.

Well color me stunned silent. (And take pictures, that state never lasts long.) ;)
  • maltinpolarmaltinpolar Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

We've got a beta version of our new website and Arc client ready for your feedback.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1076561

Please take a look and let us know what you think. You can post feedback here in this thread, or follow the feedback instructions listed in the blog.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

-Dezstravus

NO TO ARC. It's hideous.
  • wullz13wullz13 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i have been using it for 4 months now game drops have increased it does nothing for the game so i say dont use it i dont like it and im not the only one but you got my money so what does my imput mean ??? absolutly nothing :mad:
  • varnoukhvarnoukh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So the regular STO site now forces you onto the arc site and our forum names here link to the arc site too. Seems the end is nigh.

In all seriousness STO is in the bin if the arc client is forced on us. I'll wince at the wasted money on the lifetime sub (though at least it wasn't my own) but I stopped playing seriously a few months ago expecting this.

I may never know if my poor bugged (for almost a year now) main character is finally fixed.
  • kitsune424kitsune424 Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

We've got a beta version of our new website and Arc client ready for your feedback.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1076561

Please take a look and let us know what you think. You can post feedback here in this thread, or follow the feedback instructions listed in the blog.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

-Dezstravus

here are my thoughts

Arc is TRIBBLE, the only things I have used it for what to get the free stuff, and to occasionally use the ingame browser, but I have since stopped using it and plan on uninstalling it as it is a program I DO NOT like
    We are the Borg. Existence as you know it is over. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  • bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ask4spock1 wrote: »
    As long as I have my CD to reload the game I will NEVER use ARC till they absoluty force the issue

I don't want SPY Ware on my computer:mad:

prove to me that it is spyware and I will take your side until then I will support Arc

now on to my issue

I did a reformat tonight on my PC and after windows was intalled and most the updates along with my AV was on i installed Arc and then tried to install STO and Neverwinter everything was fine until I tried to launch STO and the launcher was trying to update and connect and told me it could not connect because of net issues so I thought okay maybe i need to exclude my games and did so with still no working, so I uninstalled both and tried again with still no luck.

So am I missing something that i did not think of or is it the Arc client that is giving me problems? any suggestion would be appreciated

and I don't want the Arc haters replying so don't bother.

UPDATE:

here is the message I get

Unable to establish connection to patch server. Please check you internet connection. If problem persist, please contact technical Support.

well I am on here with no problems so I do not think it is my internet.
  • kazapskykazapsky Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    prove to me that it is spyware and I will take your side until then I will support Arc

It quite blatantly scans your entire hard drive and reports its findings to PWE. Red flag.

It installs plugins to your native browser without permission, and actively works to keep those plugins in place. Red flag.

It siphons far more resources than any launcher program should need. Red flag.

It hijacks installations of other software programs, rendering them unusable unless it itself is running. Red flag.

It demands administrator access to your computer. HUGE red flag.

Honestly, how much more evidence do you need?
    Arc is garbage. End of discussion.
  • cellanoid#1655 cellanoid Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kazapsky wrote: »
    It quite blatantly scans your entire hard drive and reports its findings to PWE. Red flag.

It installs plugins to your native browser without permission, and actively works to keep those plugins in place. Red flag.

It hijacks installations of other software programs, rendering them unusable unless it itself is running. Red flag.

Honestly, the plugin and resources are the most annoying part of Arc. I've uninstalled STO and Neverwinter until the devs can remove the above issues. Even then, I will install via Steam or my keys until then.

I understand they want to advertise, but it is still not worth it.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kazapsky wrote: »
    It quite blatantly scans your entire hard drive
    true
    and reports its findings to PWE. Red flag.
    does it? I've seen no evidence of that.
    Technically, you DID give it permission.
    Enh... not that much. The excess mem usage seems to be because it has email-like functions.
    Prove it.
    For what? installation? or something else?
    Um, something? What you've presented is inconclusive. Is Arc annoying? Yeah. Spyware? no.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited April 2014
    Some people readily see five lights...

As the cigarette companies stated - all they needed to do was plant a seed of doubt into the proof and people wouldn't believe the facts. "Doubt is our product".

Sure Arc scans all your hard drives; it's not really looking right?
    Sure Arc sends information back and forth from PWE, it's not really telling them anything?
    Sure Arc installs plugins into your browser (affecting other software), but didn't you install Arc to do this?
    Sure Arc siphons off far more resources than the STO launcher or even STEAM, but is it really that much more?
    Sure Arc prevents the original installation programs of STO, CO, and NWN, but isn't this what we want Arc for anyway?
    Sure it wants administrator access to your computer, which Microsoft itself warns against allowing, but really what could it be doing with such access - is it really that dangerous?
    Sure you've provided what you call "evidence", but I call it merely circumstantial and unsubstantiated.

Go on kids; fire up ARC.

There are FOUR LIGHTS and I will not use ARC!
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,912 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    here is my feedback. I hate any kind of program like arc. that said, since the stand alone launcher stopped working for us, we downloaded steam.

does that answer the question?
    sig.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Some people readily see five lights...

As the cigarette companies stated - all they needed to do was plant a seed of doubt into the proof and people wouldn't believe the facts. "Doubt is our product".

Sure Arc scans all your hard drives; it's not really looking right?
    Sure Arc sends information back and forth from PWE, it's not really telling them anything?
    Sure Arc installs plugins into your browser (affecting other software), but didn't you install Arc to do this?
    Sure Arc siphons off far more resources than the STO launcher or even STEAM, but is it really that much more?
    Sure Arc prevents the original installation programs of STO, CO, and NWN, but isn't this what we want Arc for anyway?
    Sure it wants administrator access to your computer, which Microsoft itself warns against allowing, but really what could it be doing with such access - is it really that dangerous?
    Sure you've provided what you call "evidence", but I call it merely circumstantial and unsubstantiated.

Go on kids; fire up ARC.

There are FOUR LIGHTS and I will not use ARC!
    I(n other words.... you've got nothing. You said a lot, but.... none of it is "proof" of your allegation.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I(n other words.... you've got nothing. You said a lot, but.... none of it is "proof" of your allegation.

Just out of curiosity, why are you defending this malware?
  • weirdtrekie30weirdtrekie30 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No way - it just adds clutter in return for no improvement or gain in the game experience.

I'm not speaking out of pure prejudice, I tried Arc and hated it.
    Admiral Tuwud - High Commissioner, UFP Peace Corps Sigma Red
    logo%203.jpg?gid=272661&source=asset
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    dgdolph wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, why are you defending this malware?

Because it's not malware. Give us proof that it is and maybe some of us will think otherwise. And when I say proof, I mean actual proof from your Anti-malware and virus detectors, not "It installs this device, so it HAS to be malware!"

That's all we want. Until then, we'll either support it or tolerate it. I'm the guy who tolerates it.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Because it's not malware. Give us proof that it is and maybe some of us will think otherwise. And when I say proof, I mean actual proof from your Anti-malware and virus detectors, not "It installs this device, so it HAS to be malware!"

That's all we want. Until then, we'll either support it or tolerate it. I'm the guy who tolerates it.

Your missing out the the third option which are the ones who are against Arc I have been against it since Launch and still against it now. Nothing you or Cryptic will say or offer will change my mind. Arc is useless to me does nothing to improve my gaming experience with STO. If you want to have this useless piece of trash on your computer then that fine. But for the people who prefer to the use the original launcher should be allowed to as well.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • therealgurutherealguru Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ok it took me a lots of times to be able to convince some friends and members of my guild in swtor to come play sto.

they install arc and then wait and wait to be able to log in game.
    for one friend it took like 5 mn and he was still on loading screen with the logo "Legacy of Romulus"
    it was his 3rd logging in game (the previous one were long but still ok), he just created some chars and he close the games and went back playing swtor or rifts.

he has no issue logging in those games, so probably he will never log in sto anymore.

you want to push pple using a system that don't work that is too heavy or whatever.

in the end, you are preventing yourself to gain new players that are subscriber in other mmo. If they can't log in or if it takes them too long they won't join at all.
    My Dm videos - My Yt channel

My Wordpress Blog - Blogger

In Space, drinking or piloting, you must choose ! If you drink, put on the autopilot ;)
  • grace58grace58 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So... when will Arc implement some changes?
  • infydelinfydel Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    they install arc and then wait and wait to be able to log in game.
    for one friend it took like 5 mn and he was still on loading screen with the logo "Legacy of Romulus"
    it was his 3rd logging in game (the previous one were long but still ok), he just created some chars and he close the games and went back playing swtor or rifts.

that has nothing to do with the Arc client, though - that's the game itself.

myself, I've had zero problems with it - it installed fine, picked up my Steam installs of STO and Neverwinter without a hitch, and (most of the time) logs me into the launcher automatically.

also I'm not borderline paranoid or delusional, so I don't think the Arc client is "keeping an eye on me", etc, which helps somewhat.
    Vulcans are MEAN
    edited April 2014
    You won't accept anything that can be offered as proof.
    Prove to us it's not spyware.

Better yet; prove to us why we need ARC - what it contributes to our gaming that something like Steam doesn't already.

Why are you for ARC? Why should I change my mind about it? What does ARC give us that Steam is lacking?
This discussion has been closed.