test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Arcgames.com is Ready for your Feedback

Comments

• tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If Arc comes with season 9, it will be interesting to see how many players do leave. If its enough and they stay away long enough, PWE just might have to recall it being mandatory to save a good chunk of revenue that they make off of STO. The sad part is, PWE knows most of the players around here can't resist throwing their money away at meaningless grinds and for lock box after lock box. Personally, I hope we the palyers can win the war against being forced to adopt a piece of software that the vast majority of us have absolutely no use for.

I will be one of those players that will stop playing STO once ARC becomes mandatory, in it's current state. My current Rig has issues with Steam at this time and building a new machine is not financially viable at this time.

If PWE get's it in their head to modify ARC so that it can shut down after the game launches, I'll be more than welcome to try it. Otherwise, I will not. Period.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • racerexiaracerexia Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Its funny reading the reactionary posts in this thread, but honestly all the hysteria is unfounded. I can still run my STO launcher even when I got ARC on, I do so when I wish to log into an alt account and have no desire to log out of ARC. I find steam far more inconvenient tbh.
    I've been using ARC since it came out and have few complains, its seldom glitches for me, I detect NO SPYWARE from it and the only problem I have is that it interferes with Raptr, which I ALWAYS run when I play STO, or any other game. Still I looked on how to work my way around these problems, and whenever I see a glitch with ARC I report it instead of bit... er whining about it.
    I am sure if we all cooperate rather than be hateful meanies we can help make it even more useful and convenient. I must agree with some people, I do not wish to be forced to run it in order to launch my games ALL the time, that would be inconvenient if say I wished to use the overlays from some other app, or say i desired to stream my game to my NVIDIA SHIELD, which is totally incompatible with ARC. In any case I see no reason why PWE would do such a move, simply because it would create compatibility issues for many clients, not to mention its a highly incompatible move as far as many client's moods swing :P
    Really guys, how about we just request features that we could use and enjoy, such as the ability to manage fleets from ARC and view a list of our characters just as in Gateway. I'd also like to see some feature for taking pics and even integrating video capture into the ARC app as a form of plug-in. That would be cool. Also maybe even integrating the ARC chat with the in game chat just as we do with Pidgin or some other such chat clients. There are so many cool ideas I can think off, but lets just work on a few at a time.

Cheers and GL :)
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    racerexia wrote: »
    Its funny reading the reactionary posts in this thread, but honestly all the hysteria is unfounded. I can still run my STO launcher even when I got ARC on, I do so when I wish to log into an alt account and have no desire to log out of ARC. I find steam far more inconvenient tbh.
    I've been using ARC since it came out and have few complains, its seldom glitches for me, I detect NO SPYWARE from it and the only problem I have is that it interferes with Raptr, which I ALWAYS run when I play STO, or any other game. Still I looked on how to work my way around these problems, and whenever I see a glitch with ARC I report it instead of bit... er whining about it.
    I am sure if we all cooperate rather than be hateful meanies we can help make it even more useful and convenient. I must agree with some people, I do not wish to be forced to run it in order to launch my games ALL the time, that would be inconvenient if say I wished to use the overlays from some other app, or say i desired to stream my game to my NVIDIA SHIELD, which is totally incompatible with ARC. In any case I see no reason why PWE would do such a move, simply because it would create compatibility issues for many clients, not to mention its a highly incompatible move as far as many client's moods swing :P
    Really guys, how about we just request features that we could use and enjoy, such as the ability to manage fleets from ARC and view a list of our characters just as in Gateway. I'd also like to see some feature for taking pics and even integrating video capture into the ARC app as a form of plug-in. That would be cool. Also maybe even integrating the ARC chat with the in game chat just as we do with Pidgin or some other such chat clients. There are so many cool ideas I can think off, but lets just work on a few at a time.

Cheers and GL :)

Eventually the ability to launch STO from the "old" launcher will become a thing of the past. Jade Dynasty is about to experience that and it is only a matter of time before STO has to deal with it as well.

A major issue that has arisen because of this is with Arc being mandatory, you will no longer be able to run more than a single instance of the game at one time. Many of us (myself included) have more than one STO account. This means if one of our accounts has a Suliban Cell Ship (for example) we will not be able to login the character through Arc that has it and open up our other account from the "old" STO launcher.

The only workaround for this is if you run STO through the "old" launcher twice (or more), run your main through Arc and your alt account(s) through the "old" launcher, or have multiple computers. Most people don't multiple PCs, which will be the only option left.

Yes, Arc and Raptr don't like each other at all. The reason? Both are pretty much the same thing (software conflicts). I had Raptr until Arc came out. I should have kept Raptr and left Arc off my PC until they make it mandatory. PWE wants to be like SOE and EA and have a unified launcher of their own. Plain and simple.

Efficient? Yes it is. But I detest how they are going about implementing it and adding all the unnecessary bloat to it. If they had it as a unified game launcher only, I would have no issues with Arc. Being forced to change in this regard does not set well with me. The apparent disregard for the very feedback that PWE/Cryptic asked for regarding Arc is the funniest part of all this. So yeah, I am going to ***** about it. The last thing PWE/Cryptic needs to do is continue to TRIBBLE off a major portion of its player base because of stupid **** like this. Jade Dynasty has a much lower player base so the impact of most of what's left of its members leaving will not be as a big an impact financially as it would (or will) when large numbers of STO players simply stop playing (and paying).

I use Arc and I don't like it. When I pay for a service, and that service gets changed... if I don't like the service, I will cancel it (and I have with SOE when they came out with the Station Launcher and with 3 PWE games now because of Arc). Why do I use Arc now? Basically, just to get used to it before the day comes when there won't be a choice. As much as I hate to eventually be forced to use Arc, I have a large amount of money and time invested in STO.. way more than I ever did in SWG, MxO, and EQ2. It would be stupid for me to just get up and walk away from STO and CO (but I can stop buying Zen) and I stopped subscribing to Champions when Arc first came out. I have left 3 PWE games yesterday though (Forsaken World, Jade Dynasty, and War of the Immortals) in protest to Arc now being mandatory for Jade Dynasty while still in its Beta state. In a single move, Arc has killed the ability to multibox in Jade Dynasty. It will be fun to see how many people still play STO after the patch making Arc mandatory here.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Arc provides me with no benefit or service. Its absolutely useless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Anyone else having difficulty accessing the earn zen page on the website? I keep getting an error page saying that I need to have an account at least 10 days old and a character at lvl 10 or more. Page was working for me up until I refreshed it earlier. Account is 20 days old and have a STO character at Vice Admiral.

you do realize most of the "earn zen" stuff are well known internet scams and that they are making money of you getting scammed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Hey, I liked the bribes! C'mon, guys, let's get those numbers back up - bribe us some more!

This, with emphasis. Seriously, more giveaways and I'll log in with ARC again! :D
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Hey, I liked the bribes! C'mon, guys, let's get those numbers back up - bribe us some more!

They dont need to bribe you anymore, that would be a waste of worms, youve already been caught and tossed in the bucket...enjoy the ride XD
  • nassirisnassiris Member Posts: 111
    edited May 2014
    I hate the ARC.. If I could go back to the old one I would.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    nassiris wrote: »
    I hate the ARC.. If I could go back to the old one I would.

If you have the original launcher you can go back to it just uninstall Arc if not then uninstall Arc and use Steam which is a better option than Arc
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    robeasom wrote: »
    If you have the original launcher you can go back to it just uninstall Arc if not then uninstall Arc and use Steam which is a better option than Arc

mandatory arc doesnt make sense if they are allowing steam, doesnt that kinda negate the very reason they want to implement it in the first place? so if your not going to make it mandatory for them, why not leave our old launchers alone too? I think thats a fair question.

I was fair with you all these years, i bought cryptic coins and zen just because, ...even if i didnt need anything i would buy em and give away items like keys as prizes. I put money into the company to keep it going like in investor does for a little league ball field. lol, i can see your appreciation... -_-
  • tjexcimer500tjexcimer500 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Same sentiment. In all honesty I was very tempted to throw in another $100 during the 15% extra zen deal and probably would have except for this mandatory ARC. I've decided to wait on it to see how things turn out. If they go through with this, then they can kiss my $ goodbye (though not as great as some; but around $500 in total over the years). Now maybe a multimillion dollar company like PWE doesn't care about the individual subscriber; but I am not alone here.

Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.
    There are Four Lights... say no to ARC
    Fleet: 1st Order of Role-Players' Guild - gaming together since 2004
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The thing I don't understand is why the interface and usability is far worse than the original site. The Arc setup suffers from the problem of things like the Facebook timeline, where things just end up all over the place and difficult to find, its aesthetics over usability.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    catstarsto wrote: »
    They dont need to bribe you anymore, that would be a waste of worms, youve already been caught and tossed in the bucket...enjoy the ride XD

No, they're still trying to hook me in the first place- I'm that annoying fish that keeps taking the bait off their hook and leaving them to try again.

Total time logged in with ARC: 49 minutes. Log in, claim bribe loot, log out, log in to play with normal launcher. :P
  • rarebear1rarebear1 Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Its not bad just needs some fine tuning.
    Proud Trekkie Favorite episode from TOS is The Doomsday Machine TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise VOY: Endgame part 1 and 2 DS9: Emissary ENT: Assmilation
  • section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    https://billing.arcgames.com/en/ is broken it says error but doesn't say what kind. So if I can't buy Zen what good is arc?
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,536 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    No, they're still trying to hook me in the first place- I'm that annoying fish that keeps taking the bait off their hook and leaving them to try again.

Total time logged in with ARC: 49 minutes. Log in, claim bribe loot, log out, log in to play with normal launcher. :P

Same goes for me! :cool:
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    My launcher has worked just fine since day 1 my discs still ONLY have problems when Cryptic does thier patches [Season 4 Anybody?] only the players were caught in the crossfire. Arc is bloatware/malware and advertising that I do not want on my computer. I do NOT play any other MMO games period... none, nadda, zilch. Startrekonline.com is the only MMO I have ever played and will be my last one.

I am highly ticked off now because last night I bought a prepaid card at my local store. I cannot redeem the card because https://billing.arcgames.com/en/ has a error code and will not clear with the F5 button. I hear other players in ESD grumbling about how PWE is going to force everyone to install ARC or they won't be able to redeem thier stipends if they are a lifer [which I am]. This game has become increasingly frustrating since F2P came out.

There have been tons of rants about the disrepect of veteran players and the omnipotent nerfhammer coming out everytime a strategy is formed that is effective. My gripe is I spend money to get my toon what he has over the last 4 years. Now I cannot buy Zen.... Will someone please explain this financial strategy?

Oh FYI your ARC launcher is at odds with my chess interface Raptr which is another reason why I don't want ARC.
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    arnthebard wrote: »
    I hear other players in ESD grumbling about how PWE is going to force everyone to install ARC or they won't be able to redeem thier stipends if they are a lifer

From where did the players on ESD claim to have derived this information? I have no interest in obtaining arc either but I haven't been worrying too much about it as I have two disc copies and prefer to use steam any way.

If this information about stipends is more then just hear say then I am going to be very unhappy however.

Thread moved... this doesn't belong in the Federation Gameplay forum. ~ Bluegeek
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This may be pouring gasoline here. But I have had zero problems with Arc. And since I have the previous game launcher on my system I can still launch multiple accounts at once and they all are considered to be launched by Arc and get what ever Arc Reward is active.
    My machine is two years old I3 windows 7 from HP. Not a power house but handles things nicely.

Just saying,

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Don't blame cryptic for ARC. Nothing they can't do. It comes directly from their PWE overlords.
    feiqa wrote: »
    This may be pouring gasoline here. But I have had zero problems with Arc. And since I have the previous game launcher on my system I can still launch multiple accounts at once and they all are considered to be launched by Arc and get what ever Arc Reward is active.
    My machine is two years old I3 windows 7 from HP. Not a power house but handles things nicely.

Just saying,
    Your signature might be the perfect counter argument for this topic. I'm against ARC, but still :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    There is no doubt that everyone is going to be forced into ARC eventually; but that will have nothing to do with Stipends. If ARC will be the only way in then ARC will be the only way to play and buy things - whether using Stipends or not.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If they force everyone to use Arc wouldn't they have to take STO down off of Steam? I would be surprised since I believe Steam brought in a whole lot of new players.
  • neppakyoneppakyo Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If they force everyone to use Arc wouldn't they have to take STO down off of Steam? I would be surprised since I believe Steam brought in a whole lot of new players.

There is also the steam pack for STO that's available for sale on steam.

EDIT: And I really dislike arc. I'll alway run it via steam, only install arc when there is a freebie, then uninstall it. Did it for the kahn uniform and ferengi shuttle.
    Quote about STO on consoles: "Not quite as bad as No man's sky, but a close second."
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    There is no doubt that everyone is going to be forced into ARC eventually; but that will have nothing to do with Stipends. If ARC will be the only way in then ARC will be the only way to play and buy things - whether using Stipends or not.

Then there is no doubt that this game will lose a lot of players as a result of such nonsense. We all know what happens when companies try to force clients down our throats only for the sake of monopolizing content distribution and the profits therein. Good luck to perfect world and l applaud you for taking such a strong stance cosmic. It has truly inspired me.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
    edited May 2014
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    Then there is no doubt that this game will lose a lot of players as a result of such nonsense. We all know what happens when companies try to force clients down our throats only for the sake of monopolizing content distribution and the profits therein. Good luck to perfect world and l applaud you for taking such a strong stance cosmic. It has truly inspired me.
    If you say so. :) Most of us do not see ARC as being any different then Steam, Raptr, or any of the other game-grouping systems - such as NCSoft's and many other companies. One launcher to rule them all is a big trend in MMOs now. Everyone wants to capture their own market share.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If you say so. :) Most of us do not see ARC as being any different then Steam, Raptr, or any of the other game-grouping systems - such as NCSoft's and many other companies. One launcher to rule them all is a big trend in MMOs now. Everyone wants to capture their own market share.

That may be true but it's inconvenient for the players to install more than one game distribution service on their PC's. They take up hard drive space and spam you with ads. Myself I only use Steam and stand-alone games I get from GOG.

Even if they take STO off of Steam I hope they still maintain a stand-alone launcher for it.
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    neppakyo wrote: »
    There is also the steam pack for STO that's available for sale on steam.

EDIT: And I really dislike arc. I'll alway run it via steam, only install arc when there is a freebie, then uninstall it. Did it for the kahn uniform and ferengi shuttle.

I got mine by logging in on my boyfriends pc. He's a new player so he had to install arc. Suited me fine, I got the rewards without ever having to have it on my rig. :D
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited May 2014
    That may be true but it's inconvenient for the players to install more than one game distribution service on their PC's. They take up hard drive space and spam you with ads. Myself I only use Steam and stand-alone games I get from GOG.

Even if they take STO off of Steam I hope they still maintain a stand-alone launcher for it.
    I do not see the point of this debate - especially since there is a huge debate thread in the News section already. :)

PW is going to do what they think is best for their game lines and their company. If they lose some customers, so be it. They have spent a ton of money on ARC and they are not going to abandon it. PW is transitioning. They are converting NWN to their Asian market - and STO will probably follow suit. They are also converting NWN to the Console market - having established an entire Console Division now - and, again, STO will probably follow suit at some point in the future.

PW has all their plans in motion, and if they lose a few customers because of that they will deal with it. I am certain they have lost customers due to FTP and many other reasons. It is to be expected.
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Then by your own logic, they are all the same, right? If that is true, then does it not follow that a gamer should try to reduce the amount of gaming clients they have since they are all equally invasive (if I can presume that's how your argument plays out). If we follow that logic, shouldn't you oppose forcing players to other clients on that principle alone? Are you espousing fatalism, simply being ambivalent, or is it simply that you're being pro-business?
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • vamankvamank Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If Arc becomes mandatory then I will show myself the door and never return.
    Admiral%20sig%202.png
This discussion has been closed.