test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #56: Mirror Invasion Event

Comments

• dave18193dave18193 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hooray for mega rewards and something new to play in game.

Considerably less yay that its being removed at the end of 3 weeks. Im going to add my voice to the, (sadly probably futile) calls for it to stay with normal rewards after the event stays.

Quite apart from being surreal to spend so many resources to put one mission in for such a short time, its also such a missed opportunity to remedy one of the burning annoyances of the rep system: the lack of an elite mission which rewards rom marks.

As it stands, Vault ensnared and Azure rescue reward only meagre rom marks for a very sizable time outlay (30 mins plus in some cases). Even the Tau Dewa daily only rewards 60.

This could have been a chance to finally give us a a mission which rewards a good amount of romulan marks, in line with the other reps (see STF's, CEE, Breach for example).

Still, the dil and marks will prove useful. Maybe enough for a new core on my D'dex.
    Got a cat? Have 10 minutes to help someone make the best degree dissertation of all time?

Then please fill out my dissertation survey on feline attachment, it'd be a massive help (-:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/87XKSGH
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    That's it guys, no point in asking otherwise. Expect another 100+ thread where we get stonewalled.

You're right, obviously I just want to know why...

rinkster wrote: »
    Hmmm, actually thats a very fair point.

And if i had confidence in Cryptics ability to balance grind/rest properly I'd be very pleased.

However........

Afraid we part company here.

For a start, this type of event is not completable for players who can only log on on saturdays and sundays.

And, secondly, pacing is important.

The reason i got so annoyed by Cryptic turning the anniversary into a grindaversary was because it seems to throw out the idea of fast bits and slow bits.

We'd just had the winter event, following it with another grind right away leads to grind burn out.

Managing that burn out with the relatively easy and generous anniversary was a smart move.

Kept the players playing who'd come for the Winter event, without making it feel like coercion.

Continuous grinds are coercive though, players will play them but less and less happily each time.

Losing the anniversary event was losing the safety valve for grindy frustration.

All of which is to say, pacing.

Intense events like this are fine now and then, but as in all things theres needs to be light and shade, noise and silence.

What I like about this event more then about the other recent ones is that this at least is.... Actually game related.
    I mean... What has running ice races and following mini Qs to do with Star Trek?
    This time I at least can pick my ship(s) and play the game instead if sidetracking.

Doesn't make me hate time gated events in general less.
  • startrek1warsstartrek1wars Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Darn . . . I can only log in 6 times over 3 weeks. I guess I'll have to pass.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014

What I like about this event more then about the other recent ones is that this at least is.... Actually game related.
    I mean... What has running ice races and following mini Qs to do with Star Trek?
    This time I at least can pick my ship(s) and play the game instead if sidetracking.

Doesn't make me hate time gated events in general less.

Oddly, I don't mind the ice races half as much.

At least its a pratisable skill.

you can get better at the races, and i admit to a guilty pleasure in the PvP ice race.

However, the execrable miniQ game was an abomination and lazy.
  • mamif3mamif3 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Stop telling me when and how to play. That's up to me not you cryptic.

In all honesty the doff looks cool...... I flat out refuse to do another grind.
  • ducklesworthducklesworth Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Fail. And here's why.

Level 50 only - meaning that the original's primary purpose of quick leveling and experience gathering is gone.

Available for only three weeks a year. Look, I don't care if the event goes away after three weeks, but there is no logical reason to keep this out of the queues for the rest of that time.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    there is no logical reason to keep this out of the queues for the rest of that time.

You can noly say that because you've yet to convert to the religion of THE GREAT GOD METRICS WHO MUST BE OBEYED.

All things are possible in his glory, except putting players first.
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Oddly, I don't mind the ice races half as much.

At least its a pratisable skill.

you can get better at the races, and i admit to a guilty pleasure in the PvP ice race.

However, the execrable miniQ game was an abomination and lazy.

When the Ice race came around the first time I did it daily with every one of my (i think) 17 characters I had at this time.
    Sooo... I've gotten really really sick of it.
    It would be still ok if it were the only of its kind a year, but the anniversary proved differently.

My point is just: I take a time gated event that includes star trek onlines supposed gameplay over one that actually has nothing to do with it.
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So can we just do this 14 times in the one day, get the transporter thingy's and be done with it? Or like in the past are we forced to log in each day for 14 days to get it and if we miss out, well we lose out?

I'm changing ISP shortly and will be offline for like 10 days which will TRIBBLE me right up with this event? Hmmm Cryptic did you think about that for your customers?
    quepan wrote: »
    wow , another limited GATED grind . i wish PWE/cryptc would stop these kind of you must sit in your seat for x amount a days to get a reward . it only benefits those that can play 7 days a week . i mean from the point of to get full benefit you HAVE TO PLAY every Day for the whole time . while you technially have the time to finish such a event if you dont play every day you will loose on the total amount you can earn , which to me is a loss .

i want to play and grind when i have time to schedule it .Not have to be told when i can play to earn these bonuses .
    constantly taking away daliy possible grinds to these EVENT TIME GATED Grind is a BIG DO NOT WANT . did you not learn anything from these other GATED events?
    you hurt those of us that have different schedules that dont really fit in to these SCHEDULES .

i dont mind the gating for REAL special HOLIDAY EVENTS , but this is neither this is just a trick to pad the REAL GAME TIME METRICS . "cheeks in seats" as i see it .

I totally agree, this is becoming a full Asian MMO, not liking it at all.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • varthelmvarthelm Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    To the cryptic member who posted....thanks very much for fun new content. I'm sure you guys did some good work and it should be fun to play for a while.

Now just quit putting in these all or nothing grind events and many of us will be MUCH happier and can better appreciate the content.

Ty :)
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Can we get a version of this event for low-level characters? If not, are there any plans to re-run this event so that characters who are currently below level 50 can get the doff?
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I skimmed the responses to the thread and after 10 pages it seems that a large percentage of posters want this instance to stay after the event. While skimming I didn't find a post that was actually excited about the instance only coming back for 3 weeks and wanted it to leave after the the event.

Cryptic, please take this feedback into account and reconsider leaving this instance be during the off season of the event. You did the same with Crystalline Entity and that worked out beautifully, it seems that it almost always has people in it running the mission. I believe that since this instance is already cross faction that if you leave it be, you will have another well populated instance that is modernized compared to the faction specific dated instances that currently make up a good portion of the PvE queues.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Seriously, why is this being done like this? What's the reasoning behind it?
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    A new Mirror Event is good and all, but turning every event into making us log 14 of 21 days is just a silly way to pad their numbers.

In my opinion, this shows they don't really care too much about our feedback. They got literally hundreds of pages of negative feedback on the forced logins from the solonae event. They said "we're listening to the feedback". What came of it? Exactly nothing.

Do they even care that they got so much negative feedback last time? It seems to me they pretend like it never happened.

I don't know why I keep thinking they'll change and actually listen to us. The only time I've ever seen them actually change something on our behalf was when Stahl and the lady writing the patch notes (sorry forgot her name) tried to pull a fast one and the entire forums rioted. I guess they only care if the forums are exploding.

Otherwise, business as usual. No matter what the players say.
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited March 2014
    This past bonus xp event I created my 32 toon just to see how quickly I could level it - and it was onlya few hours. Sadly or perhaps gladly this will be one of the 22 that never makes it anywhere near finished the rep system. In 3 days I will complete the rep system fully on my 10th toon - all fed - and it will be the last(some are probably thinking I am nuts for running 10 toon's completely through the rep system:eek:)

I had intended to finish the rep system on 4 of my 8 KDF toons, but after the removal of the bonus hours I have almost completely given up on all of them - with less and less kdf in the Q's then I have ever seen - what's the point in having leveled kdf?? I have all but given up on pvp. So this event is another meaningless piece of content for me. With all 9 of my fleetmates that built our T4 base now gone and having millions in refined dilithium, all that is left for me for fun in this game is doffing - which gets about the same updates as the kdf - been a long time since they came out with new interesting doff chains - now they just released OP doffs that increase ship power creep and act as 'i win' buttons - such a shame.

The removal of the daily bonus event hour is the worst thing they have done in a long time - they could have left it and added the special every other weekend events.

Only 10 fully rep'd your slacking :P, 27 of 51 at full rep atm the rest will get there when they get there gives me something to do between special events :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • warlockx1warlockx1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So just plain old f**k players with lives outside the game? Between out of town work and my son I don't get to game every night....or might only get 30 minutes.

Yet I've supported the living hell out of this game via my f**king wallet. Guess I should rethink what game company to invest my money in. This gated BS is totally pissing in the wind.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    There is an elite version. Hopefully we made it tough enough.

Will the elite version grant more of the transporter codes (is that the reward? Can't remember what I just read haha), or just extra marks for each run? Trying to figure out if I have time to do it whilst missing 5 days for the Foundry event and missing a few extra days due to other commitments, or not.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Will the elite version grant more of the transporter codes (is that the reward? Can't remember what I just read haha), or just extra marks for each run.

By the sound of it the Transporters are a one-a-day thing, like Dyson Commendations and the Shards from the CE event.

Actually, I have a question; So the map will be unplayable after maintainance in April. Is there any plans to add it back to the queues on a permanent basis at a later date, such as with Season 9?
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I really like this whole thing so far. Devs have been great in this thread, and I love the ship type bonuses. 3 issues, though:

--Does this mean that the CE event is gone for good?

--How long is this supposed to take?

--Will you be re-using this like CE?

Also, if there is a LC that involves this...oh, man, "Do;eth"/D'trel introduced to Mirror Hakeev...

Recipe for cold kill, right there.
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited March 2014
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    Only 10 fully rep'd your slacking :P, 27 of 51 at full rep atm the rest will get there when they get there gives me something to do between special events :D

I am sure they will have a nice padded room all ready for you at your local mental hospital when you are done:eek::P
  • quantummeerkatquantummeerkat Member Posts: 39 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    Will the elite version grant more of the transporter codes (is that the reward? Can't remember what I just read haha), or just extra marks for each run? Trying to figure out if I have time to do it whilst missing 5 days for the Foundry event and missing a few extra days due to other commitments, or not.

The Elite version rewards 1.5x the marks of the Normal version, but the same amount of Multidimensional Transporters.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014

For a start, this type of event is not completable for players who can only log on on saturdays and sundays.

The reason i got so annoyed by Cryptic turning the anniversary into a grindaversary was because it seems to throw out the idea of fast bits and slow bits.

We'd just had the winter event, following it with another grind right away leads to grind burn out.

Managing that burn out with the relatively easy and generous anniversary was a smart move.

Kept the players playing who'd come for the Winter event, without making it feel like coercion.

Continuous grinds are coercive though, players will play them but less and less happily each time.

Losing the anniversary event was losing the safety valve for grindy frustration.

Intense events like this are fine now and then, but as in all things theres needs to be light and shade, noise and silence.

Not a bad complaint, but I do feel that something needs to be occurring all the time. One way it could work is like this:

3 Week big event.

1 Week break.

1-2 Week mini event.

1 Week break.

3 Week big event.

So on and so forth with month long holiday events interspersed throughout the schedule.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Seems like a good event, but why should the instance be removed after this event is over? I don't see the point in limited edition PvE content. Just nerf the rewards a bit and throw it in the normal queues.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hmmm, actually thats a very fair point.

And if i had confidence in Cryptics ability to balance grind/rest properly I'd be very pleased.

However........

yeah, I understand what you're getting at - instead of forcing players to stress test a system for 14 days before they get any payout they should scale the main payout to 3 days (the doff being the incentive to participate at all) and let players who really want to grind the rest of the days do so at their leisure.
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So now Cryptic's design philosophy is to strip popular content from the game, reconfigure it, and bring it back as a time-gated grind as a means to coax and otherwise manipulate the community into coming back to play their game.

You'll lose more people than this will net you--especially since it does nothing at all to bring in new players.

We're in the end-times for STO. I can feel it.
  • projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So now Cryptic's design philosophy is to strip popular content from the game, reconfigure it, and bring it back as a time-gated grind as a means to coax and otherwise manipulate the community into coming back to play their game.

You'll lose more people than this will net you--especially since it does nothing at all to bring in new players.

We're in the end-times for STO. I can feel it.

No no, be fair - we're guinea pigs testing their alpha content on the live server.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    The Elite version rewards 1.5x the marks of the Normal version, but the same amount of Multidimensional Transporters.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll be able to sort something out then, maybe just miss the Foundry event. Was only really going to do it for my fleet members anyway.

I have to agree with those sentiments. I actually burned out half way through the Winter Event this year. I find that there are just getting to be too many of these play X number of days out of Y and get Z to make them really 'fun' any more. Ideally we need them to either be shorter in required play time (remembering that most players also run a lot of alts, so for instance 14 times a day for 14 days is a whopping total of 196 runs), or there need to be fewer total events of this nature over the course of the year.

Having abandoned the winter event and leaving the game for a little while, then running the full anniversary event, now this event, and it'll end just in time for the summer event. I think the summer event may be where I end up losing interest again and coming back in time for winter. Which is ironically, the opposite of what they are attempting to achieve. Once I burn out, I stop spending money on the game.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The mission did not seem hard on normal level, but it took a while to figure out the process of getting the rifts closed. The Dread is not much right now, but I am sure there will be changes to it.
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This will most likely be a daily event like Crystalline Entity after the initial introduction (they did the same thing when they brough CE back... a special grind event with a prize and reward).
  • admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,561 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How about this Cryptic. of the special style of event. have all toon grind for special events on the shared account area. I don't what to do the mission 6 times for 6 different toons. have where they can all contribute to the event not disimular to the fleet base stuff. and KEEP this in as do it like CE. AND STOP WITH THE FREAKING GRINDS.