test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #56: Mirror Invasion Event

Comments

• venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    After seeing what has happened, I no longer consider "Star Trek: Online" a game. As a result of the time-gates, heavy resource requirements, repetitive grinding of missions, and the strong pinch on rewards, "Star Trek: Online" has become some sort of an abomination.

Someone slapped the 'Star Trek' brand on the cover, and then the individual is milking it to oblivion.

I have no problem with spending money on a game; however, the mechanics behind it have to be entertaining.

I now have more hate for this game than praise.

...and, that is a game stopper.

Cryptic, please fix "Star Trek: Online".

Please wake up.
  • insanerandomnesinsanerandomnes Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Does this mean we're going to get an mirror Odyssey?
    I AM THE HARBINGER OF HOPE!
    I AM THE SWORD OF THE RIGHTOUS!

dark_dreadnaught_by_insane_randomness-d5z6ydl.jpg
  • millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I can't say I'm terribly pleased by these timed-grind events, of which I won't be available for partly.

Then again, I don't like queues on the whole, I miss the old cycling Fleet Action instances you could enter and leave freely like our modern adventure zones, as well as missing the older, longer, more in-depth if needing-more-dev-love STFs.

I would rather we return to that or at least bring them back as an option, along with having a mirror invasion event that's a bit more relaxed, as some of us feel compelled to wanting to complete everything the game offers on some of our more than ten-plus characters.

I would still like these kind of events to happen in the game world randomly, like...I'm a ship passing through the appropriate sector when a distress call comes up from the nearby outpost under mirror attack. Would certainly add to the immersion and feel less like some sort of grindy themepark MMO where you can sit around and queue up all day long and never go anywhere to see the rest of the game.

That aside, I do enjoy the efforts put into revamping older stuff and will hopefully get to play some of this, but I still would like something that doesn't feel as grind'y, despite me not necessarily *needing* to play it.
  • gabrielinwestmingabrielinwestmin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Regardless of those who are complaining, I am looking forward to this event. This game is constantly evolving more and more as time goes on. I am going to assume that the rate that this game if evolving with amazing ships like the Dyston Science Destroyers, the Battle Cruiser and the newly revamped and finally worthy Federation Dreadnought Cruiser, this game will be the inspiration FOR the next star trek movie. We now get special abilities and items that have never been seen in any of the TV series and Hybrid ships that could only have been dreamed of before. While some of the "grind" ships have not been so great, it is still a fun challenge just to see if we can get the "free" items. To be honest the winter event was much more fun than the Chel Gret Ship. I think these seasonal and random events are actually quite amusing and breaks the monotony of concentrating on just a single task in this game. Thank you Star Trek Online for your hard work in creating such a massive game that I still have yet to even discover all the pockets of the games universe. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Greywolf Taskforce - Officer of the Fleet
  • genadagenada Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Let me say first, this looks great and I am looking forward to it

The problem tho I have is that it's limited time and going to be removed. No content should ever be being removed. This game needs more content, not less. It needs content that adds to the game in a long term fashion, not content that is for a limited time. Please make this a event then leave it as something that can be ran after just like ce.
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I would like to say that I am also in favor of the idea of retaining this map as a normal queued item, like the Crystalline Entity one. Even without a Dilithium award, an award of 30-odd marks for the regular and twice as much for the Elite version would still make it worth doing.
  • hawke89305092hawke89305092 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Mirror Hakeev.

MIRROR HAKEEV.

Well played, Cryptic. Well played.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rickdias5500rickdias5500 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No ,no , no more stupid grindy events. I just want to play the game. I don't want to deal with the crybabies and tards that make up this game to get stuff done. No stupid Q hanging around. No more senseless TRIBBLE. You want exp go play.
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No ,no , no more stupid grindy events. I just want to play the game. I don't want to deal with the crybabies and tards that make up this game to get stuff done. No stupid Q hanging around. No more senseless TRIBBLE. You want exp go play.
    Then don't participate in the stuff. It's not a requirement, so there's no problem with you not doing the stuff.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • fourxgamerfourxgamer Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    "Forget everything you know about the Mirror Invasion."

That's about where you lost me.

Sure, being bribed with bundles of rewards could get me to log in. I'd be logging in for the sake
    of unfinished business though, not for fun. The original Mirror Invasion... never mind.
    I would expound if I thought anybody cared.

For metric's sake, I've not logged in in days. I bought (several) games, mostly pirate-themed, and have been having a pleasant time. It seems the calendar was a big factor in keeping me around.

Yarr, back to the Spanish Main for me.
    AND Game of Thrones is almost back, yay (:
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    They don;t give a TRIBBLE about us. Look at LoR it was only done as they lost like 1/2 a million players with season 7.
    The Elite version rewards 1.5x the marks of the Normal version, but the same amount of Multidimensional Transporters.

Well that is a load of ####. THe Elite should give two of those transporters a day, would make it more worthwhile and ease the grind for players. Though I still support the idea of no day restrictions so players can do it all in one day, especially those who can't log in every day.
    So now Cryptic's design philosophy is to strip popular content from the game, reconfigure it, and bring it back as a time-gated grind as a means to coax and otherwise manipulate the community into coming back to play their game.

You'll lose more people than this will net you--especially since it does nothing at all to bring in new players.

We're in the end-times for STO. I can feel it.

I said the same thing yesterday to my wife. If they continue down this road using PWE tactics STO won;t last beyond a couple more years. Despite all the success the grind is becoming so excessive (half due to it all being character based and not account) that it's simply wearing players out. Also with upcoming MMO's like Elder Scrolls, if I was Cryptic I would be worried. I already know more than a few players about to abandon this game for ESO.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • vardariotaivardariotai Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    2 words

TRIBBLE you!

Sorry, there are many buzzkills from you since I started playing since the early f2p days, I can even go as far as saying I started playing since the first day it went f2p. But this the 1 that pisses me off. I'm already bored playing episode quests over & over again & now you're making it mandatory to progress. Which I understand at a certain point because it can make new players understand what's going on in the game. Hell, I've met a 400 day veteran who doesn't even know where to get CRM 200! I know what's going on in the universe right now because I've played them all 3 times already! I don't want to play them again, Mirror Invasion was a saver for me & it was the reason why I even bother to create more chars & keep playing this game & explore the lore of the other factions. When I make a new char on a different faction, if I'm bored or tired of doing the ever-boring & dragged on episode quests, I'll play on Mirror Invasion, then I can come back & replay the ones I skipped if I want to. Now, you've just destroyed my reasons for ever making new chars. Just, TRIBBLE that, right? Everybody got to grind now because you're too lazy to come up with anything fun. Hey, it's Star Trek, nobody cares about Trekkies. Sorry, I'm not a Trekkie, I see STO as a game, not a Trek simulator or whatever Trekkies think they are. I can appreciate your attempt to tell the lore, but it's pointless when people already knew it because they've played through it before.

Now you've changed it to Mark giveaways, level 50 only. Is that even a thing? I don't have problems with marks. Since you put the cooldowns into PVEs, I've already figured how to get around that ages ago, queing other similar PVEs that can fill up the cooldowns which is usually 2 more PVE runs, pick the 1 that's quick & easy then I can get marks almost instantaneously. Yes, it's boring, but it's even MORE boring to play episode quests gazillion times & times over!

I might be able to appreciate this if it's not level 50 only & give experience bonus for low level chars. But nope, because that's a good thing & giving good things are bad.

Right?
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    They don;t give a TRIBBLE about us. Look at LoR it was only done as they lost like 1/2 a million players with season 7.
    [

I am pretty sure lor was already in work when season 7 came around. Probably already at season 6th launch.
    I said the same thing yesterday to my wife. If they continue down this road using PWE tactics STO won;t last beyond a couple more years. Despite all the success the grind is becoming so excessive (half due to it all being character based and not account) that it's simply wearing players out. Also with upcoming MMO's like Elder Scrolls, if I was Cryptic I would be worried. I already know more than a few players about to abandon this game for ESO.

Agreed on that one. Although I personally won't go for elder scrolls. I was a quiet loyal player before the pwe changes came in the first place and those got me out for more then 2 years.
    Still not sure if coming back was a good idea.
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Nice blog, Thank You. This is awesome, cant wait to see this new rewamped Mirror Event.

From the pic in the blog I see there a Mirror Oddy? Its nice to see that mirror skin used in space and not just in a cavern under Nukara planet. Would've been great if it can be used also on players Oddys. And speaking of that, would be great a Mirror Dread skin on the new Gal X Dread ;)

One thing tho, that mirror doff looks cool, but it will have a really limited use since the range is soo tiny, only 3 km :( It would end up like the cruiser ship powers, wich even with 5 km range are still not useble (and are rarely used anyway) as team skills, but rather as self buffs.
  • captainjgeecaptainjgee Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Great, a much loved mission now turned into a limited time grind event which we all will hate in the end. At least you could have changed the name and not sully the once great mission. Why more Fleet and Reputation marks, these are so easy to get these days they are beginning to be pointless much like GPL. Not another dam Doff as a reward, at least you could have come up with something original. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Well at least here we do play the game instead of dealing with cry babies. It is after all a space combat mission. Not an ice race or that... Thing that ruined the anniversary
    Great, a much loved mission now turned into a limited time grind event which we all will hate in the end. At least you could have changed the name and not sully the once great mission. Why more Fleet and Reputation marks, these are so easy to get these days they are beginning to be pointless much like GPL. Not another dam Doff as a reward, at least you could have come up with something original. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Good for you, if you don't see it the way you won't have to do it.
    I for myself need a lot if rep marks and fleet marks on multiple toons, so I won't complain about the rewards, those seem nice.
    It just don't like the time gated event carp in general.
  • engelenhartengelenhart Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I updated the free-to-play matrix for you PWE. Please do not remove the Mirror Invasion after the "event".

VOuT6IM.jpg
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So now Cryptic's design philosophy is to strip popular content from the game, reconfigure it, and bring it back as a time-gated grind as a means to coax and otherwise manipulate the community into coming back to play their game.

You'll lose more people than this will net you--especially since it does nothing at all to bring in new players.

We're in the end-times for STO. I can feel it.

Can't really argue with this. Unless Season 9 is absolutely TRIBBLE-tinglingly good (which I doubt it will be, given these recent decisions), i'm done with STO. At least until D'Angelo gets fired and someone who actually gives a threepenny bit about what the players want takes over as EP.
    sentinel64 wrote: »
    This will most likely be a daily event like Crystalline Entity after the initial introduction (they did the same thing when they brough CE back... a special grind event with a prize and reward).

I don't know why people keep saying this. They've stated very clearly that the map will be unplayable once the event ends and they've either stonewalled or flat-out ignored any post that attempts to address whether it will come back as a permanent fixture afterwards.

Thus there's no logical reason to assume it'll be coming back other than as another time-gated grind event at some point in the future.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It is my sincerest hope that the mission from this event becomes a part of the game like CE did when it was "re" introduced.

[rant]

Somehow, though, I have a feeling that after the end of this time-gate, we'll never see this mission again.

I'm still (not happy) about the Elachi Alert being removed when there was really no need to remove it. Yeah, I remember it being said that it was supposed to be only temporary, and that it was part of the S8 "prelude package" and would be gone a short time after S8 went live, but why go through all that for something that was pulled down?

Elachi Alert was a fun mission, didn't take long to complete, and the rewards were good. It was one of the rare missions that I actually found to be "fun". But then you guys just pulled the plug on it. Those of us who have been around a while, at least, knew it was coming, but the majority of the people who play here were left in the dark until it was pulled off the server with barely a whisper. Utopia Planitia, was, simply beautifully done, IMO. And could have been useful for other things besides just being the place where the Anniversary Events were in previous years.

Another piece of the game I would like to see come back is the Utopia Planitia area. There is so much waste that it simply escapes me as to why time and effort is spent to design things like Elachi Alert and Utopia Planitia and then its done away with.

This game needs bug fixes and a larger variety of content other than stacking on more storyline and time-limited missions. I am sure that some of this is in preparation for the level-cap being raised in the future, but come on. Fix what you have before bringing out more bugged content from the Tribble Server.

Seriously, Devs, this time-gated "limited time only" grind-fest you people seem to be in love with is wearing people thin on patience. At least it is for me.

I would think that C-store sales on even simple things like Lockbox Keys would cover the corporate Exec's bonuses along with the rest of the money that has been milked from the playerbase this last year. Maybe, just maybe, they will feel pity and give everyone in the Cryptic offices fruit basket.

[/rant]
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • getabigdogupyougetabigdogupyou Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Seriously killing off the daily hour by hour events was bad enough but killing off the best way to lvl alts is bordering on plains stupidity/

I used to have 12+n characters I am down 7 having killed 5 off and stripped them of all their doffs

I used to buy them all bank slots and Doff expansions which was money for PWE making playing and leveling alts just plain painful thru this repeated grind fest of events and rep is killing my desire to spend cash in the shop on alts/

I am down to playing mainly on 1 toon now and spend nothing in shop on my alts...

If I could get my bug ship and cardi cruiser off my alts they would have been dead by now I will most likely cull off 3 more alts and get down to a playable 4 but annoys me I brought alt expansions beyond belief

Make REP ACCOUNT WIDE wake up smell the coffee every alt I delete is a is minimum 60 dollars a year I don't spend in game on average.

by increasing grind I am now spending 500 dollars less a year on the game than I would have been

Figure it out adding grind discourages alts alts = cash in shop on expansions
  • vividhvividh Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This should be fun!
    In game: @vividh
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Seriously killing off the daily hour by hour events was bad enough but killing off the best way to lvl alts is bordering on plains stupidity/

I used to have 12+n characters I am down 7 having killed 5 off and stripped them of all their doffs

I used to buy them all bank slots and Doff expansions which was money for PWE making playing and leveling alts just plain painful thru this repeated grind fest of events and rep is killing my desire to spend cash in the shop on alts/

I am down to playing mainly on 1 toon now and spend nothing in shop on my alts...

If I could get my bug ship and cardi cruiser off my alts they would have been dead by now I will most likely cull off 3 more alts and get down to a playable 4 but annoys me I brought alt expansions beyond belief

Make REP ACCOUNT WIDE wake up smell the coffee every alt I delete is a is minimum 60 dollars a year I don't spend in game on average.

by increasing grind I am now spending 500 dollars less a year on the game than I would have been

Figure it out adding grind discourages alts alts = cash in shop on expansions

I'm in the same boat as you as once upon a time (aka pre-season 7) I had something like 15 characters. I use to play and level characters just for the fun of it. Used to sometimes do it as a group with my wife, son and a friend or two. Now I have killed many of them off to a point I have 4 KDF 2 FED and 2 ROM characters. As you say, if I could get lock box ships off them, I'd kill another 2-3 off. Alting is a thing of the past now thanks for the rep grind and even with the sponsorships how much work it is for so little return.

I work on 2-3 characters only now, my Feds sit and rot just getting DOFF for my KDF base, only one of my Romulans I have bothered to level via playing and I am doing her through the rep only because of my utter annoyance of the lack of tactical escort like ships on the KDF side that actually are viable with all the power creep from the past 2 years. I don't spend money anymore in this game, things are so over priced (always have been though) and the quality of the game is poor in places (god look at the Defera hard missions for example) that I don't think they deserve my money not until they pick their act up.

Today it's all about getting more people in-game, on all days for their stats to PWE (hence the removable of the hourly events and bringing in the weekend ones, the Anniversary grind and another grind with this Mirror Event), making a quick buck (they put more time and effort into their lock box releases rather than putting the money into fixing the game up including that terrible rendering system that stacks multiple models on top of each other hence causing lag for many players). It's quiet sad that Cryptic/PWE thinks they need to take this stance and bring in limited time grind (and limited time items) to keep players in-game.

If they fixed their bugs up, went back to the days where they listened to us and actually took our concerns seriously and made the game for us their customers rather than for themselves (more KDF and Romulan unique missions would be nice) and did something more Trek like rather than crazy TRIBBLE like this Dyson sphere and Dyson Destroyers then I'd probably be more happy to spend more time in the game rather than every 3 or so months taking a 6 month break and then come back for 3 months, do all the rep and grind, burn myself out and have another 6 months off.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    so i cannot use a toon lower than level 50, and this awards no significant XP...
    call it what you will, but this not 'the return of mirror' that i had been led to believe was coming. this is just another rep grind to skip.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    right now i couldnt get around this even though i have the time to do it, some changes in my life and most of them unpleasant are around the corner, i dunno if i will survive for a few more months to have the issues follow me again or if i will be in the streets a week or 2 from now and dead in a gutter somewhere a few months later. so i really wanna collect 50k dilithium from the event however my priorities are elsewhere.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What's the point of removing it?
    This way it only needs to work well enough to be completable 2/3rd of the time. They can afford one week downtime for gamebreaking bugs (additional downtime might be compensated by extending event duration or adding token packages to the lobi store). Then they can ignore all remaining bugs, which don't prevent completion of the event, for at least 6 months until the event comes up again.

The above is, of course, just speculation.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    fourxgamer wrote: »
    I bought (several) games, mostly pirate-themed, and have been having a pleasant time. It seems the calendar was a big factor in keeping me around.

Yarr, back to the Spanish Main for me.
    AND Game of Thrones is almost back, yay (:

Aaaarghh matey, can you recommend any of them? I be always looking for a good pirate themed game! Yarrr :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is another Cryptic joke so level 50+ and up can only play it. So, Cryptic took the hourlly event so update it. Then make it a grind event which is now not a level up event. So, I have 3 characters I guess I might do the mission once on my Romulan side and that's it. Way to go for making me play more.
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I love the extended reward system. I just don't like the 15-day limitations. What is the point?

Is it to dangle a carrot for two weeks, luring people in and then disappointing everyone by removing it?

A one day (miss-opportunity) buffer is kind of forcing it. Is this a test?

I bet this'll become one of them re-run type deals.. (which I think should just be permanent, with exception to newer content)

um.... 15 days? ....starts on a thursday, ends on thursday 3 weeks later..... thats 21 days, you got a 7 day buffer.
  • curedmencuredmen Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    It's here for three weeks and then gone again?

I feel I must channel Alan Ford at this point when I say; Are you taking the TRIBBLE?

You know full well that ever since you took away hourly events - in particular Mirror Incursion - parts of the playerbase have ended up being starved of the much-needed Expertise that is required for fleet projects, reputation projects (of which there will undoubtedly be another in S9, not to mention another fleet holding) and Bridge officer training - all of which are somewhat integral to how the game is played - and this is what you come up with?

Not only is there no mention of whether MU still awards bonus Expertise for each kill (which I assume it doesn't, since it wasn't mentioned) but you're turning it into a three-week timegated grind event and then it's gone until you deem otherwise. The Bonus Expertise weekend was pretty poor, sadly, because 100% more of practically nothing is still practically nothing - which, in the grand scheme of things, is what most kills award you. Unless you're going to boost the Expertise gained from killing any type of ship or ground enemy across the board, then the Expertise weekends just aren't going to cover the amount you need for these Rep and Fleet projects.

And for the record, TRIBBLE Doffing. That kind of "play while you're not playing" attitude drove me away from EVE, and i'm starting to think that maybe my time here is coming to a close.

I sincerely hope that this isn't going to be a re-run of the Galaxy Reboot thread; a clear and concise request from the players that gets completely ignored by the Devs. Hell, back when I asked BranFlakes about the MU event on Twitter, he mentioned that they used MU for Expertise (Tweet).

So I implore you, Devs; Listen to what the players want in this instance. I'm disappointed, really. I thought we were going to be a team on this one.

LOLS. Maybe you should take a break.
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As I previously pointed out, "Star Trek: Online" is no longer a game.

Someone slapped the "Star Trek" brand on the box, so the developer could milk the franchise.

"Star Trek: Online" is an abomination of grinding heavy resources, waiting through time gates, and a low rewards system. Regardless about what type of game elements Cryptic adds, the endgame mechanics have tarnished the brand.

While Cryptic may give away something for free, attempting to silence the negativity, the main problem will continue to exist. "Star Trek: Online" is damaged.

Don't get me wrong. I am in full support of paying for my share; however, the game will need some serious revamping.

Removing the calendar events was a bad decision.

Fun cannot be calculated through the use of statistics. While money can be calculated through mathematics, the emotions behind fun and excitement cannot be measured. Cryptic is either run by a machine, or its run by actual individuals.

Please consider fixing the game, so that both casual and long term players can play stress free.

I am a "Star Trek" fan above anything else.

Please consider fixing "Star Trek: Online".