test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #56: Mirror Invasion Event

Comments

• firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    yet another grind event that I don't have time for.
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I'm also wondering if Tyken's Rift is contraindicated for this event... will it produce additional Terran forces like it tends to do when there are Tholians around?

Please say no. That would suck.
  • mamif3mamif3 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Don't see how this will help me level alts.

Bring back old mirror event.
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    gemetzel wrote: »
    Hakeev is Romulan, not Reman.

Oops you are right. Confused him with obissek for a minute.

Well, all my arguments count even more.
    And my question, too: why can he have a beard?
  • captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Tal shiar, Tholians, and now mirror universe, Obisek never gets a break, does he?
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Oops you are right. Confused him with obissek for a minute.

Well, all my arguments count even more.
    And my question, too: why can he have a beard?

Because he's from the Mirror Universe. Everyone has a beard there. Even the ones who don't have beards. If they already have a beard, they get a beard on top of that beard in the MU. That's just how it is.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • varthelmvarthelm Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Rewards are nice but nothing will drive me away from this game like these constant event grinds. I'drather the event did not exist at all so I could spend more time playing then repeating same thing per toon per night. Alts are what make these event grinds so terrible.

Yes....I know I don't have to do it...but then you feel you are missing out. Just feels like more stick than carrot as a result. I'll end up doing it on half my alts I think. I thought with the reputation spnsorship changes cryptic got the message about how discouraging alt play makes them less money. Guess not.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    In regard to a statement that was made about the Bonus XP Weekend...

It's not completely pointless. My sons got both their characters from level 40 to level 50 over the weekend. Normally they don't get much more than one level per mission and with this they were actually skipping levels.

Yes, I agree that Incursion was available on a daily basis. But I never, ever played it. It's not the content I wanted to grind and it wasn't convenient.

The Bonus weekend ran for the entire weekend and it boosted all sources of XP, not just one scenario. From my perspective, this was a lot better. I understand that for other players, not so much.

I'm looking forward to this event. My boys are now 50's, so they get to play it with me. I'm not sure we'll be able to grind out 14 days, but we can try.

I hope they alternate this event with a special CC event; I didn't complete it on one of my characters the last time.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Guessing 5 man.

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    Because he's from the Mirror Universe. Everyone has a beard there. Even the ones who don't have beards. If they already have a beard, they get a beard on top of that beard in the MU. That's just how it is.

A beard with a beard. Never thought about it that way...
    So it's not a difference in the mirror romulans DNA, it's a difference in the mirror beards DNA
    varthelm wrote: »
    Rewards are nice but nothing will drive me away from this game like these constant event grinds. I'drather the event did not exist at all so I could spend more time playing then repeating same thing per toon per night. Alts are what make these event grinds so terrible.

Yes....I know I don't have to do it...but then you feel you are missing out. Just feels like more stick than carrot as a result. I'll end up doing it on half my alts I think. I thought with the reputation spnsorship changes cryptic got the message about how discouraging alt play makes them less money. Guess not.

I have to agree with this.
    That's why the last lobby event was better in concept, I believe.
    It could be only played once a day per account as didn't become a grind because of that, and the rewards were also account wide so it that wasn't a downside.
  • obsidianballsobsidianballs Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Seem to have missed the part out where we can get a mirror Gal-x with proper tactical seating.
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I guess this is the final nail in the coffin of the daily events we liked. One mirror event a year. ugh.
  • aliensamongusaliensamongus Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I love the extended reward system. I just don't like the 15-day limitations. What is the point?

Is it to dangle a carrot for two weeks, luring people in and then disappointing everyone by removing it?

A one day (miss-opportunity) buffer is kind of forcing it. Is this a test?

I bet this'll become one of them re-run type deals.. (which I think should just be permanent, with exception to newer content)
    giphy.gif
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'll pass thanks all the same..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Can we please have a Romulan Republic faction version of this doff as well? Pretty please? I know it's possible since we got faction appropriate anniversary ships.

Yes, please stop giving Romulans all their stuff via the Ally system.
  • captainwessoncaptainwesson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Pretty interesting post. I look forward to the new mission.

I do have a very important question that has not been asked by anyone so far. Devs, please answer this, or allow us to test this in Tribble first:

Is Mirror Hakeev affected by Starship Hull Repair and Auxiliary Power? :eek:

"Hazard Emitters 1" can mean many things to many different people, depending on their skill points and aux power. Please tell us what all affects this new duty officer, and let us be able to test it on Tribble before we make any judgements about how good or how bad it is :D

K Thx!
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    In regard to a statement that was made about the Bonus XP Weekend...

It's not completely pointless. My sons got both their characters from level 40 to level 50 over the weekend. Normally they don't get much more than one level per mission and with this they were actually skipping levels.

[...]

The Bonus weekend ran for the entire weekend and it boosted all sources of XP, not just one scenario. From my perspective, this was a lot better. I understand that for other players, not so much.

Which is fair enough, but for some players, my point still stands. Most of the endgame PvE missions award very little expertise per kill (which is what you spend most of your time doing at endgame PvE) and some - in the case of CEE, for example - literally award nothing if you focus on the main objective and ignore the ancilliary enemies.

My wording on the Weekend Event was harsh, perhaps. But again, I think my point is valid; some players need massive amounts of expertise now, not in six months or so when the event rolls around again. And some of them actually want to play the game to earn that Expertise, not queue up some doff missions and the toddle off to another game until they finish.

Let me put this into perspective. For me, I completed T5 Omega on my main Romulan ages ago, using the expertise from levelling, and put what was left into Omega ground gear for that toon. Flash forward to a few weeks ago, where I decided (since I still had a lot of Expertise leftover) to do the Romulan rep. Close to the end, it actually became more efficient to finish that toon's Dyson rep and use the bonus Expertise gained from finishing that to finish the Romulan rep than it did doing anything else to try and scrounge up enough Expertise from other, meagre sources.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited March 2014
    Is that all we can expect from this game? Every two months another dumb Grindevent you have to replay over and over again?
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
    edited March 2014
    sonnikku wrote: »
    I guess this is the final nail in the coffin of the daily events we liked. One mirror event a year. ugh.

Where in the blog did they say that?

If it's anything like when they rebooted Crystalline Catastrophe, the special event will run its' course and then be replaced with normal and elite scenarios that are available from the PvE queue and can be played at any time.

Heck, I'm hoping to see the Crystalline Cataclysm event come back around sometime. Maybe they'll have an "Event Replay Weekend" sometime.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
  • jstarsmorejstarsmore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm sure this will be lost in the shuffle, but where did you guys come up with the name Vauthil Station?

I ask because I played on another Star Trek based game, and years ago there was a similar thing... but I've never heard of that in Trek, outside of that small game.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014

If it's anything like when they rebooted Crystalline Catastrophe, the special event will run its' course and then be replaced with normal and elite scenarios that are available from the PvE queue and can be played at any time.

Heck, I'm hoping to see the Crystalline Cataclysm event come back around sometime. Maybe they'll have an "Event Replay Weekend" sometime.

THIS

/10char
    edited March 2014

Well here, Bluegeek;
    The Mirror Invasion will be returning to Star Trek Online as part of a brand new limited time event starting on Thursday, March 13, 2014, and ending three weeks later on Thursday, April 3, 2014 (when maintenance begins). This revamped event map will only be playable during this three week event timeframe.

That's where they said it. If this is to be believed, it's not going to be a normal PvE queue once the event ends.
    edited March 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    But again, I think my point is valid; some players need massive amounts of expertise now, not in six months or so when the event rolls around again. And some of them actually want to play the game to earn that Expertise, not queue up some doff missions and the toddle off to another game until they finish.

Yup. You have a great point and I hope they have a plan to address that.

Just because I'm swimming in Exp on one character doesn't mean that all of my alts are, or that I won't end up running out someday.
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    is this not just another grind event ?
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yup. You have a great point and I hope they have a plan to address that.

Just because I'm swimming in Exp on one character doesn't mean that all of my alts are, or that I won't end up running out someday.

If I need XP, I just replay "The New Link".

I like shooting Laas and turning him in to Command. What can I say?
  • no09dysonsphereno09dysonsphere Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    A Romulan version is no different than the KDF or Fed.

That's the same thing as saying the KDF version is no different than the Fed version. Why should a Romulan captain have to rely on a doff crew that's all Fed or KDF?
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ahhh! SO thats what you've been up to with the mirror event. Sounds good.

And note in the blog they noted the "Special event" rewards.. (thats what I all ready see folk focusing on..) They look quite reasonable..

Lets see.. 21 days (3 weeks) 14 days to do the special event rep project to net you 50,000 Dilithium Ore, 500 Fleet Marks, 250 Marks of Your Choice, plus 7 more possible days with a dayly reward of 50 Fleet Marks, 2000 Dilithium Ore, and 35 Marks of Your Choice which if done for 7 days is a tidy 350 fleet marks, 14k Dilithium, plus 245 marks of your choice.

Grand total of possible payout. 64k Dilithium, 850 fleet marks, and 495 marks of your choice.
    and a unique DOFF. Thats assuming you choose to make use of the optional event rep project. Don't be dissapointed if you only get to run the main event rep project once.

In the long run, other then the special doff, my numbers say doing the extra project has a better payout over all... so it works out well.

But, what about the rewards when its not on "special event" I assume like CE when not part of a special event, it'll be on the regular PvE que.. I'm curious about what those "do it as a dayly" rewards will be.

On the other hand... how long has it been since the Crystalline Cataclysm event was last run? Some of these need to run a tad more often.. perhapes concurrently with other special events.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sonnikku wrote: »

See the following quote:
    The Mirror Invasion will be returning to Star Trek Online as part of a brand new limited time event starting on Thursday, March 13, 2014, and ending three weeks later on Thursday, April 3, 2014 (when maintenance begins). This revamped event map will only be playable during this three week event timeframe.
    Cryptic pretty much killed "Star Trek: Online".

I am tired of being jerked around.

Removing the weekly calendar events was a BIG fail.

Nerfing STF mission rewards to make the weekend events seem bigger was also a BIG let down.

Cryptic just needs to stop messing with stuff. If you guys keep moving the goal lines, 'smart' players will eventually get tired of all the bull.

"Star Trek: The Grinding Frontier"
    edited March 2014
    On the other hand... how long has it been since the Crystalline Cataclysm event was last run? Some of these need to run a tad more often.. perhapes concurrently with other special events.

CE event hasn't been run since they re-introduced CE back in April 2013.

Imagine if you hadn't been able to play CE/CEE since April of last year. Do you how much that would suck? It would suck a factor of many sucks, I can tell you.
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    CE event hasn't been run since they re-introduced CE back in April 2013.

Imagine if you hadn't been able to play CE/CEE since April of last year?

Yes, it has. There was another Crystalline Entity event between the end of the Summer Event and the start of Season 8.