test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Missing Textures/Icons in season 8 *FIX INCOMING See post 608 page 61*

Comments

• nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm beginning to think this is a figment of my imagination....well it must be... Cryptic obviously think it is :(

Come on Cryptic! Lets have a status report on this!

1. Its obviously getting worse for people.
    2. Its game breaking for many!

At the very least acknowledge the many that have reported this! :mad:
    server_hamster6.png
  • russellcarussellca Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    harmony420 wrote: »
    Agree that it seems to be hitting even faster now. I'm wondering if it's because the servers are even more populated since Thursday.

Most likely. There's been a slew of recent reports since S8.5 launch and as the issue seems to have characteristics of both a download issue (onset can vary by busy or quiet instances) and memory leak (once started, problem tends to get worse & temp log-off provides a decreasing amount of new play before needing a full restart) both would be aggravated by a more heavily populated game.

Although apparently unrelated and fixable the FE EV scene blackout is very worrying for what it --possibly-- says about the level of QA testing. I was telling a fleet member to try the workaround (before it was posted at the top of the forums) when another member made the astute observation that the sun's heat haze rippling FX, has a lot in common with the FX seen in a underwater view - hence this particular fix.

But if correct and the two are the same or related, that means releasing core episode content, that relies on extant code (or new derivative code - possibly via improperly setup inherited classes) that the user has long been able to turn off in options. Not a degraded setting,- which with the multitude of potential options, would at least result in a complicated test plan where honest mistakes can be made,- but instead requiring only a simple on/off check and not catching it before release!
    edited February 2014
    Speaking of new inductees to the ranks of the afflicted!
    Can new posters or affected visitors passing by; kindly post their hardware specs. At a minimum: GPU, CPU and O/S edition. (see link below for example, and feel free to supply any more details you see fit)

I'll add them to the affected hardware configuration lists, which are already looking like an index page from the graphics section of Tom's Hardware website! But it's worth hitting the point further home - that this is not an isolated client side issue.
    ta very much.
  • djredhawkedjredhawke Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I found out something interesting, i hope this hasent been posted befor else sorry for reposting it ^^

When im playing on LOW graphical settings it takes way more time to appear then playing on high settings.
    Now its getting interessting: In my fleet some people have it too, but those who have way better computers can basicly play LONGER before it happens to them.
    I can normaly play on everything max but need to deactivate dynamic light, but when i play like this i have to restart EVERY stf.
    If im going on low settings (i always liked my N64 so yea...) i can play 4-6 stf before it happens.
    The difference betwen the "good" systems are mainly the Ram, they have around 6-8GB (and one has a Nvidia gtx Titan ._. and even he has the problem)

So to everyone who has the problem, could you try to play on Minimal settings and look if it only happens for me that i can play longer.

And also i apologize for my English if something was wrong.
  • sordnaxelassordnaxelas Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hello Holodeck people,

these graphical issues are getting out of control as I do get them at every play session.

Observations so far:
    • The errors DO NOT appear right after game login
    • It takes a few minutes until the glitches appear, most likely after several maps have been loaded.
    • All maps are affect (PVE, PVP, space and ground)
    • Only a game client restart and relogin seems to cure the disease (at least temporarily)

My specs:

Win7 32bit - DX11 renderer
    ATi Radeon 7770 @ Catalyst 13.12

On a SIDE NOTE:

Why is the DX11 renderer for instance still in BETA ?
    Wouldn't it be a more prudent course of action to reduce the influx of new content material at least until game mechanics (e.g. ship key bindings saved adequately) and game graphics (DX11.x) can catch up?

Does anyone remember how long it took until our ships' memory banks could actually "remember" the BOFF assignments? Hardly a reference timetable ...

Last but not least, I can only encourage Cryptic to try to implement a method how to track and trace the matter into REDSHIRT - I am sure that there are enough Captains willing to offer their assistance.

OVER AND OUT!
  • juganda47juganda47 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Same issue, since Season 8. After flying through few sectors textures go white etc. Exception: Fleet Starbase/Embassy/etc, where everything works fine

My specs:
    Intel Core2Duo E7400, 4GB RAM with 4GB swap
    AMD Radeon HD7750 (1 GB)
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
  • sordnaxelassordnaxelas Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    A typical scenario:
    • Playing about half an hour on the battleground map (spire in the contested zone of the Solanae Dyson Sphere) without problems ...
    • Then beaming to the ship and jumping to the Earth Space Dock (or at least what looks like that):

http://pl.vc/4b7xk
    http://pl.vc/2gi6p

BTW a character logout won't help ....

http://pl.vc/2n6zd
  • seniorkafeiseniorkafei Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So I took a hiatus after the Winter Event because of this problem, and I came back for the Anniversary Event expecting it to have been cleared up. I played through "A Step Between Stars" once, and then when I went to replay it, I was met with this:

http://i.imgur.com/IaPKk6Q.jpg

I already posted my specs earlier in this thread. I can't believe this hasn't been fixed yet... What's taking so long, Cryptic? This bug really makes it difficult to enjoy the game. :(

An update would be nice. Surely this thread continuing to get posts/views daily is enough to warrant that the problem exists and can be acknowledged as 'in progress' or something.
    edited February 2014

BTW a character logout won't help ....

http://pl.vc/2n6zd

Yes that's what the screen will look like when logging back in. It doesn't seem to have done anything. However if you continue and play the character, you should find temporary relief from the effects. Documented repeatedly in this thread.

Doesn't happen every single time - especially if texture loss was very bad before first logging out - but on the vast majority of occasions it will provide enough leeway to finish a task before the bug reappears (e.g. restore inventory icons so you know what you're managing; restore location detail so you can navigate to the next mid-mission save point; etc). After a while logging out provides diminishing returns and you're forced to do a full app relaunch.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Not sure why, but it seems to be happening more often now. I logged in yesterday to refine dil and check exchange stuff. Swapping between characters, it took around 3 minutes for it to pop up. That's a new record for me. Not a record I was hoping to set mind you, but a record nonetheless.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • artemisa0kartemisa0k Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm getting the same error as everyone else only fixes its self after quitting the game and restarting.

One thing I have noticed and a sure way I would imagine to reproduce this is that it seems to occur within a varied time frame after a number of instances of zoning.

Therefore I would suggest in order to reproduce it play for around 5-6 hours without restarting or exiting the client while zoning into different areas and such. It will most likely occur before the 5hr mark it seems to for me anyways.

Its just a guess but it almost seems to me like something is getting left in video memory every time you zone and slowly building up until it causes texture problems which would explain why the only way to get rid of it is quitting and restarting the game.
  • harmony420harmony420 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited February 2014
  • dragonseye1138dragonseye1138 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I've been having this issue since Season 8 launched, but it was minor until Season 8.5 launched. Now it occurs about every 4-5 hours, but it's much more prevalent on my Romulan character than either of my Feds. Still haven't figured that one out...

I did find that shutting down any and all background programs to reduce the RAM footprint keeps the bug away longer, but that's only a stopgap at best.
    Q is a Magical Girl.
  • litchy74litchy74 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So new patch, new people with this problem, still same old story from devs,..... Ohh wait they don't even acknowledge this bug ....

This is getting stupid 45 minutes tops I get before I have to quit and restart, but that seems to give diminishing returns now.

Will we ever even get an update from the devs?....customer service don't make me laugh.....:mad:
    Where ever you go, there you are.......

Join The Space Invaders,..... Federation and KDF fleets.
  • bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited February 2014
    I've been having this issue since Season 8 launched, but it was minor until Season 8.5 launched. Now it occurs about every 4-5 hours, but it's much more prevalent on my Romulan character than either of my Feds. Still haven't figured that one out...

I did find that shutting down any and all background programs to reduce the RAM footprint keeps the bug away longer, but that's only a stopgap at best.

Sounds like a memory leak, imho. Care to debate that cryptic?
  • domikvderevnedomikvderevne Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hello,

I have a problem with some of ingame windows
    1. Change appearance in avatar creator
    2. Tailor
    3. Minigames.
    In scaning minigame I just see "scan -> scan completed", no minigame at all
    In mining game I start to mine and... I keep control on avatar, no minigame.

How it looks like
    Tailor

Mining

Appearance

Tried to verify installation through launcher - no effect, bug is still there.

Vital Specs:
    Win8, Phenom X4 9550, Radeon 7790, 6gb RAM

Any ideas?
    edited February 2014
    harmony420 wrote: »

Those little Q-lets can be right tricky beggars!

Whole sections of this game for me, are now defined by working around this bug :(
    e.g.
    Full restart on conclusion of 'Tour the Galaxy' as after all those sector changes there will only be a vr short relief from a logoff;
    Minimum of a logoff -before- 'Mining Daily' (unless its the first task of the day) so to ensure the targeting reticle doesn't disappear mid-round & lose the dil quota;
    Logoff -before- undertaking 'Party patrol' (unless its the first task of the day) to avoid the above;
    Full restart -after- 'Party Patrol' (if undertaken on 3 or more alts), as all the character changes & map swapping between ESD/City/Rom Cmd and respective academies, means the textures will typically fail soon after - so mandatory prevention if about to run a 30min+ mission; etc

It's the new form of the discontinued hourly! Content separated not by bonus reward blocks but by playable time blocks!
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Sounds like a memory leak, imho. Care to debate that cryptic?

That's exactly what I am thinking, seeing how it tends to relate to tons of loading screens.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• mikeybareilmikeybareil Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    so after the last patch i was able to play the dyson sphere ep (the whole of the background wasn't stark white any more) but I'm still having all the same colour/texture issues I've been having since the start.

Screenshots here:
    http://imgur.com/a/gIIsr
    this is how it's all looked from day 1. it's 100% playable but it looks like TRIBBLE.

I'm playing the Mac Beta on a MacBook Air. No fancy graphics card or anything just what it came with:

Processor 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 (playing the game from a terabyte external HDD)
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
    Software OS X 10.8.2

thoughts/help?
  • admiralfrayaadmiralfraya Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I posted on another thread I was having this problem which had no response from the Devs and came look to see if there was a thread somewere with a Dev response and i found this one. After reading from page one i have relised a few things (most of which have already been said awile ago but) so i figured I might aswell say something;

First off the timing on this for me ranges from 30min - to 2hours. some say it happens quicker in high traffic areas, I normaly dont vist ESD/K7/39 serria but i do use Qo'nos/ DS9 and new romulus since the sphere went live i've been there aswell. I Also switch characters alot and often have the problem either in sector space ground missions or on the slecetion screen I have noticed it on the login screen aswell, I have noticed it in systems but not often.

Its worth mentioning that in my fleet those who have this problem have NOT had the Blackness that prevents players from seeing what they are doing in Between the stars mission(the one with Tuvok) but those who have had that problem have not had this one so far. I'll ask around again see if that has changed. also i heard it was reported that that error was DX9 related and if changed to DX11 problem solved.

Today, reading the forum i was abcent from game and logged out due to inactivity this is what happend. had the problem occur and exited game and restared- selected char and did asteriod mining- finished up returned to sector space- all was fine. after an hour got logged(was reading this thread browser was not maximized so i could see ingame) the problem instantly appearred on the loggin screen.

Some one said about not having it with a new romulan char, i recently created a Ferasan and have been playing them for about 3 days now and dont recall having the issue with them yet dispite visting Qo'nos regularly.(will need to watch that see what happens)

Since its the same as everyone else i'll just give a quick discription, Icons and items are invisable if i mouse over them i get the tooltips and such and if i click they do activate. ships turn white some flash white, clothing turns white, hand weapons and ground pets look like the Same material as the T1000 terminator(metalic grey) bright white background thats unbearable to look at, ship combat has torps as squares with sparks and energy weaps are rectangles.

Computer specs;
    AMD Phenom II
    4GB Ram DDR3
    Nvidia GT640
    OS- vista(32bit)

Also Worth saying that i had this happen for the first time right after Season 8 went live, it was real bad. for me it seems to ease up over from 19-december till the 27 january- that week it got worse and this week has been worse still. I have changed nothing on my end so i dont know why the issue we are having veriances so much in is appaerence. Also if anyone from Cryptic could please give an update it would be appreaciated.
  • admiralfrayaadmiralfraya Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hate to double post but,
    Time on Forum 11.30am my local time 7.30pm
    On my Fersan and beemed to Qo'nos ship yard the graphics issue happend, i then beem to KDF acadamy(planing to restar game right after) the loading screen had a fit, coulers were messed up and flickering but when it finished and my char was at the acadamy everything was fine the graphics were normal.
    anyone else experiance that?
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, sometimes it loads properly after it flickers, but that means that it's starting to break down. If you continue to play normally after that, it will get to the point where you have to reload it anyway.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I was doing my last KSE of the day n there was a a fed dyson ship in ir it turned in to a white thing like the pics posted by op TRIBBLE on cryptic fix wot ever u broke this time
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • rebelwnc73rebelwnc73 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well i been wondering about this for awhile I'm experiencing the same thing after a long play time and several map changes space and ground . running 32 bit xp AMD athlon x2 250 4 gigs ram geforce gt 640 all updated drivers i have re-verified files and it goes away if I shut down game and open it again same thing after some time my screenshots look just like first post in this thread
  • phyloephyloe Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I am experiencing the same issues described in this thread. I have been playing fairly regularly for the last couple of weeks with no issues. Then, all of a sudden, I started getting these issues a little while ago. Hope to see resolution soon.
  • dragonseye1138dragonseye1138 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    phyloe wrote: »
    I am experiencing the same issues described in this thread. I have been playing fairly regularly for the last couple of weeks with no issues. Then, all of a sudden, I started getting these issues a little while ago. Hope to see resolution soon.

As would I, but since Cryptic seems unwilling to acknowledge the existence of this issue, I wouldn't hold my breath.
    What will most likely happen, is that in typical Cryptic fashion, they will blithely ignore the problem for 4 to 6 months, then when PWE's revenue stream from STO dips due to players leaving because of this problem, they will shout at Cryptic to fix it.
    Cryptic will grumble and complain about it, then release a patch that claims to fix the issue but doesn't, then they will wait a week, and release another patch to fix the first patch, that also won't fix the underlying problem, then they will wait two weeks and release another patch for a completely different issue that nobody was experiencing anyway and the graphics problem that we are all having will miraculously fix itself.

Oh, and KDF captains still won't be able to switch to all of their costume slots.
    Q is a Magical Girl.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So here we are, over 300 posts, an ever increasing amount of people reporting the issue, and STILL no official response from Cryptic.

Staggering :mad:

I pushed a new build PC (6 core AMD proc, 8 Gb RAM and Windows 8.1 64 bit) hard over the weekend doing missions that created a lot of map swaps.

My little Ferengi has never had so much attention :D

I can report that the issue DOES still manifest the early symptoms after about 3 hours of use on higher spec PC's. Its nowhere near as bad as it is on my Dual core Win 7 PC but the starting symptoms are there i.e. White backgrounds to NPC windows, blurred textures or "temporary" colours appearing on objects followed by the actual texture about a second later.

On my dual core this will be the start of a sudden degradation resulting in a need to restart the client.

The new build didn't get that far but the issue is still clearly evident.

I would suspect a memory leak that's causing a lag in the graphics delivery layers but I'm no expert.

I call on the actual experts to break the silence and comment on this once and for all. That's what you are arent you Cryptic? ;)

There are players that have given up on STO because of this issue and because of the silence. It may not be a huge number but its a trend that could increase.

A word or two of confirmation would be enough for people to regain some semblance of confidence in you.
    server_hamster6.png
  • kelcankelcan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I've had issues with STO since installing it a few months ago. The most frustrating issue is when the graphics don't load correctly. The game will be fine for an hour or so and then it will get all pixilated like its having trouble loading the graphics. I saw the same thing before, years ago when playing WOW, the issue then was my desktop overheating. However, I have a new desktop and do not have issues over heating...in fact, I haven't seen this issue on any of the other games I play including SWTOR and Eve.

It always seems to happen after an hour or so of playing. The graphics just don't load correctly everything is pixilated or the entire screen turns a bright hazy green or white. I suspected the other day that it was a connection issue with my ISP, perhaps while my wife is watching Netflix or something, but then I started paying better attention to when she was online and it didnt match the issues I was having.

The only way to fix the issues is to completely exit the game and go back into it.

Another graphics issue is when the initally character screen loads. The one with the ship and all of your bridge officers in front of it. I have a Jem'Hadar soldier and only his body and eyes load there is no face or head just two solid spherical eyes above his body...creepy!
  • sinusiridumsinusiridum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Indeed, such an annoying issue should get more attention from the Devs. It has been a few months now with no solution, but the worst of all is their silence.
    ###################
  • cyberoiduscyberoidus Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    hello everyone,
    if you are having textures problems with the game,try this,do stf and only stf,staying at the same spot,just map change to do stf,you will be able to do them forever,no textures lost there.
    But then i tryed to do one toon (doffing),went from esd to sirius then regulus and finally taw dewa,did the new mission there,as soon as i got out i started to loose my textures,so map change is the problem,is sto game engine broken ???,i wish someone would come out and say something about it (from cryptic),at least let us know that someone is working on the issue,would be so nice from them.

p.s.try do play sto with no doffing,and you will be missing a lot a stuff.doffing generate a lot of map change,please help us.