test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What Anniversary Celebration? All I see is a "SERVER DOWN" :cool:
    XzRTofz.gif
  • erraberrab Member Posts: 1,434 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Looks like the server just could not take all the Grinding ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • newlibertynewliberty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hello fellow Trekkies and soon-to-be Trekkies! As I am sure most of you are aware the main server (Holodeck) has been down for most of, (If not all of) today, the first day of the anniversary event. Needless to say this was disconcerting for those of us who want to spend a good amount of time attempting to acquire the high-end rewards that one can get from such type of events, as we now have one less day to do so with the first day being consumed by an offline server.

My recommendation, with only hints of intense pleading upon one's knees, would be to compensate this loss for the veterans, the devoted, the loyal, the extremely enthralled and even the new players by extending the event one more day (If at all possible.). This would not only allow the originally intended amount of available time to play through the event and gain the rewards without losing three night's sleep, however, it would impart elation upon many who's smiles turned to frantic pressing of the refresh button upon discovering today's downtime. It would certainly impart a fresh and new sense of excitement I otherwise wouldn't have even if there was no downtime. (There's no better feeling than the realization that your previous feeling of loss is moot. :D )

This is simply my opinion from a player's perspective. I am sure there would probably be logistical issues with such a thing, however, if it would help P.W.E. and Cryptic weigh the benefits and detriments to see if it is a good balance, I request other like-minded members of the community post their (Respectfully thoughtful*) opinion and constructive criticisms regarding the situation, whether you agree with this recommendation or not, why, and your vision of how things would proceed both good and bad if it went whatever way you hoped for.

Give us your thoughts!

Be well, sleep well, fight well, live long.
    ~Ranokoa (I.G.N.: Krel@newliberty)

*Regardless of how eager any of us are, it is ultimately not our choice, and I request suppressing any potential volatility or frustration over recent events or verdict in favor of allowing the reader to better absorb your point of view with a calm and neutral tonality. Though I have no doubt in anyone about this, as it is the internet I felt a little emphasis may assist.
  • tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They're not going to give us compensation.

They don't even bother responding to 150 pages of negative feedback.

They just don't care.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They're not going to give us compensation.

They don't even bother responding to 150 pages of negative feedback.

They just don't care.

They do care and they have already answered the thread.

You're just pissy because they haven't said what you wanted to hear.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They do care and they have already answered the thread.

You're just pissy because they haven't said what you wanted to hear.

Oh really? What did they say? Beyond "We're listening" which means nothing without a follow up.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Oh really? What did they say? Beyond "We're listening" which means nothing without a follow up.

This. However seeing as they've just gone ahead anyways its now a mute point. I switched on last night to find the server was down after the patch....For the first time ever with STO my reaction was "meh...".

I honestly wasn't bothered so went and did something else in the real world. That's how much enthusiasm I could generate for STO and the "Anniversary". As a pretty hardcore player that's sad :(.
    server_hamster6.png
  • fluffybunny23422fluffybunny23422 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I know this is the wrong place.... but where do I find Party Patrol episode, still bit new to all :D Thanks :)
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This Q-game is so not fun:(
    Will do it on 2 chars max tbh
  • biidibiidi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    eagledraco wrote: »
    Any tips on easier ways to beat the shell game? I played it last year - Q is difficult for me to see depending on which way the presents move.

I can kinda crouch and zoom just right to peek inside the presents if I didn't see Q move - but not always. To me, this seems more of a time waster than something fun to do.

Just stand back a little and you can turn the camera around to look inside once they stop. Always works, you just may need to move forward or back a little.
  • diensdalediensdale Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    palinell69 wrote: »
    Really could not agree more, grind/work those are not terms that should be used on a GAME, but the point is to have FUN, tons of fun and play a fantasy. The party patrol after learning it is NOT fun at all, Cryptic Studio needs to begin drug testing all employees

I laughed very loud ;) Well this grind is not pleasant or funny. It just is a must. Too bad.
  • neowolfenneowolfen Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Okay I'll admit I loved the featured episode and the Tim Russ (Tuvok) appearance and the episode was extremely well crafted.

HOWEVER.

It is with great dismay I find the event is just another of the ever increasing number of GRINDS creeping into all PWE/Cryptic games these days.

Do the episode once get 400 commendations, great.. once per day thereafter for 40 more, get the ship once you've earned 1000 total.. so basically once a day for two weeks.

That is a BAD enough grind but then the REAL kick in the teeth comes by the fact that this is not PER ACCOUNt but instead PER CHARACTER.

Are you freaking kidding me Crytpic? I have like 16 Captains.. if you honeslty think I or anyone else with more than one character is going to do this episode once per day for fourteen days PER CHARACTER you are out of your minds.

This is less of a 4th year Anniversary Celebration and more of an insulting grind.

WHY was this not made an ACCOUNT unlocked ship. That way every would still have to do it once per day for 14 days to get the ship unlocked for the account as a whole. So the 14 days would be a ONCE only thing not a ONCE per character thing.

They would also still have to do it per captain (upto 3 times) to get the ship equipment set pieces though that could be done at any time as unlike the ship event the episode rewards can be done by replaying the episode any time after the Anniversary event is ended but that is neither here or there unlike the ship which I assume is only going to be available during the event itself.
    Ser Alathor Crownguard, Cwelenas Alenuath, Dwarin Stonefist, Danaerys Hellborn
  • hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hell at least you get to grind for it. I lose my internet in 6 days for a month and I'm gonna miss this years ship. I liked the look of it to.
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Everyship we have ever earned through any event have been per character. Don't see why they would change that now.
    edited January 2014
    scififan78 wrote: »
    Everyship we have ever earned through any event have been per character. Don't see why they would change that now.

Because its TRIBBLE. And because this is an ANNIVERSARY not an ordinary event.
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hell at least you get to grind for it. I lose my internet in 6 days for a month and I'm gonna miss this years ship. I liked the look of it to.

Lobi Store ;)
    edited January 2014
    neowolfen wrote: »
    Because its TRIBBLE. And because this is an ANNIVERSARY not an ordinary event.

The previous two anniversary ships were per character too.
  • vilecalamitousvilecalamitous Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The FE only grants you 400 Qmendations. You get the rest by doing the Q event bit.
    edited January 2014
    The previous two anniversary ships were per character too.

And they ALSO didnt require you to play a mission once per day per character for 14 days. But hey lets ignore that GLARING ommision in your justification for the grind eh ;)
    edited January 2014
    neowolfen wrote: »
    And they ALSO didnt require you to play a mission once per day per character for 14 days. But hey lets ignore that GLARING ommision in your justification for the grind eh ;)

I am not justifying any grind so don't go assuming I am. You asked why they weren't account unlock and I answered that they never were. Simple as that.
  • gogereavergogereaver Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    anything not gotten from zstore has always been per char.
    edited January 2014
    I am not justifying any grind so don't go assuming I am. You asked why they weren't account unlock and I answered that they never were. Simple as that.

The point I was making that you seem to have missed is that they didnt NEED to be account unlocks before because you didnt have ANY grind involved in getting the anniversary rewards. All were attained previously by doing a mission ONCE.

NOT once per character per day for 14 days.

TheAnniversary is supposed to be a celebration of the game and a giveback to the players.. slapping us with a MONUMENTAL grind is not a celebration its an insult.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    at first I had no problem with the rep for the ship but after all the server problems I am beginning to agree.

even if they give us the ship for doing the mission I would still have played the q event for the goodies and dil ect if that is all they were worried about, and I am sure many other players are the same.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• gogereavergogereaver Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    guess you never played anything owned by pwi. they make everything grind to keep you playing the game. they knew the anni event would bring server crashing numbers but quickly fall off as people got the rewards. so drag it out to keep you playing.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Whack-a-Q, sounds much more fun than the shell game

I don't mint the q games but I must admit Whack-a-Q does sound neat.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• algideonalgideon Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well isn't it the same with all larger Patches or Content Updates? It is a shame that they are haveing the same problem with crashing servers over and over and over again.
    Guys, start thinking about that! What does it tell the players that your servers crash every time you do one of your big updates, you are so excited about and proud of?
    And it gets even worse when you combine it with Giveaways that need to be claimed within a limited time. Not all of us live in the same timezone and are able to claim those "Rewards" anytime they want. In my case it was 7 PM when the Ann. Event started but I'm at work until that time and so I can only log in when I get home. So it was about 9 PM when I was able to log on and what did I see? SERVER DOWN! Only because you are not able to launch a new Season, FE, Event or larger Patch without crashing the server! There are lots of other games that don't have these problems. At least not every time. The Players, YOUR Players already expect a Server Down and I don't think it is the expectation you want Cryptic.
    But I think it would be fair to extend the Event at least for another Day to compensate the Server Down.
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Despite the grindathon and the server meltdown, the core part of the anniversary, the featured episode mission, was well done and very entertaining.

I went the lobi route to avoid the grind (already had them saved up for the next grind, but thought that was going to be the summer event). I doubt I will even think about the C-store version which sound like it will be overpriced. The anniversary was a mixed bag, but the FE was excellent (and I did not get the blackout during spacewalk). :cool:

p.s. 3 toons, three ships for 645 lobi (129 q-com boxes); at least they gave a good exchange rate.
    edited January 2014
    gogereaver wrote: »
    guess you never played anything owned by pwi. they make everything grind to keep you playing the game. they knew the anni event would bring server crashing numbers but quickly fall off as people got the rewards. so drag it out to keep you playing.

PWE didn't make STO Cryptic Did. And Cryptic have always said that apart from access to more resources etc.. PWE doesn't interfere what they do with the game. So the blame for this has to fall on Cryptics shoulders (influenced or not).

These sorts f grinds are not enjoyable they are insulting and it is a terrible way to present an anniversary and such a finely crafted featured episode and new ship designs.

I find it laughable that in every MMO out there grind is despised yet Cryptic apparently think it makes perfect sense to keep adding MORE grind to thier games. An EVENT should by definition be EVENTFUL.. not an endless reptition of the same thing ovr and over for every individual character. And Anniversary event even moreso as that is meant to be a thank you to the players for thier continued support.
  • nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sentinel64 wrote: »
    After the second crash, I was able to finish one run on one toon and then go to the Lobi store and get the 600 q-tickets from 41 boxes (205 lobis) to close out one toon (out of 3 that will be the only ones with the Anniv ship... and no C-store ship in the future). :rolleyes:

As long as there are people like you in this game, this game will never go under. Ty dear sir, ty for support.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You basically answered your own question and others have pointed it out too, if you are too lazy to grind for the ship, don't do it. Be positive, at least it isnt for 30 days.