test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    I remember his famous rants in defense of the under loved Klingons under Atari. :D
    Now he's happy and tells the people who say Klingons suck to go to Sto'vo'kor. :P

honestly.... after having done both the events in 2012 and 2013.... I already know how to win them easily.

It's actually pretty easy to tell if you triggered the box game. If you triggered it a giant green blob of text appears in your chatlog... unless you turned that off... Your escaping mini-Qs have a different text over them. (unless you turned that off too)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • pvtbelgarionpvtbelgarion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Has anybody calculated the cost in lobi yet, incase someone who can't play every day and can't do the grind all the time can get the ship and consoles?
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's kinda sad how often Cryptic/PWE takes opportunites to cheese off its own constituency just to meet an arbitrary profit deadline (end of month today). Was Tim Russ really THAT expensive? And the dev's had at least the duration of the Winter Event to do testing, so the recent debacle could be averted. Maybe they should ask some of the Admin's in their player base (who sucessfully run other game sites) how to structure the server setup so one failure does not tank the entire enterprise...

Apart from that, the new mission was engaging and fun. Kudos to Cryptic to actually put players in those new ships (full loadout, like a rental car!), to promote the upcoming sales and event grind. "Well played...", again. The mission will be worth playing for many players just to get choice of Dyson component for current ships, as well as a Dyson EV suit and Hirogen lock box, which drop during the mission. The EV suit thruster controls were TRIBBLE in-game; one can only hope they work better in other space environments. Oh, and don;t forget to lvl up your characters before the mission, otherwise the dropped gear is LEVEL-APPROPRIATE. :o I'll have to hurry to lvl up so when I repeat the missions later, I'm not stuck with a lvl VIII console, instead of XI or XII...
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's kinda sad how often Cryptic/PWE takes opportunites to cheese off its own constituency just to meet an arbitrary profit deadline (end of month today).
    This has nothing to do with a profit deadline - this is especially true when you realize they did not offer anything to purchase with the event so profit does not fall into this. It has to do with an Anniversary deadline on Sunday.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    F*** that shell game. In some instances, the movement of boxes and mini Q himself are in perfect sync in a way that it's impossible to tell where he is. Having a keen eye doesn't matter then, just take your best guess.

And it pops up 90% of the time! Some more variety this year would've been appreciated.
  • phadrenphadren Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This game is absoultly made for a casual player, go try another game where you have to be geared to run any end game content, the gear you need you get from forming a group that you need to schedule your life around just to to do them. The groups you sit around and wait an hour till everyone is rdy. Or if you think there is grinding in this game...(this games "grind" is pretty easy) well lets just a lot of other MMO's have eyeball bleeding grinds.

STO is totally based around casual players.
  • matth431matth431 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't hate this game, but two suggestions:

Firstly, at least at SFA, there's a mini-Q right next to the Romulan portal. In a game where players might compete to click on a Q first, this can (and did to me yesterday) lead to mis-clicking and accidentally zoning to New Romulus command. Move one or the other slightly.

Secondly, perhaps move the mini-Qs such that NPCs don't path through the middle of the shell game.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dareau wrote: »
    I also know there's 3 consoles in the 3 pack. What would be the fourth piece of that set? The Secondary Deflector in the freebie box?

That is correct.
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Has anybody calculated the cost in lobi yet, incase someone who can't play every day and can't do the grind all the time can get the ship and consoles?

Worse case scenario of 10 QMendations per lobi box = 60 boxes for 600 QMendations x 5 Lobi each = 300 Lobi. Worse case scenario. Since you can get between 10-20 per box, potentially less than 300 Lobi. This assumes you also do A Step Between Stars for 400 QMendations.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If the map is that jammed up for you, change instances.

If it took your 40 minutes to do this mission, I think you're doing it wrong. It took me about 5 minutes- if not less.
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Bull. If this game was any more casual friendly there would be an instant level 50 button. The truth is this game caters to both the casual players and the hardcore players.

The problem here is that some casual players want access to the hardcore rewards without doing what is necessary to earn them.

This is no different than soloists wanting rewards from team content without teaming,

or PvEers wanting PvP rewards without having to PvP.

Well too bad. If you aren't willing to earn the rewards you can't have them.

When the heck did I say I wanted everything handed to me, show me where the heck did I say that?

My complaint is that took me 40 minutes to tag 2 stupid miniQ, I was not sitting on my TRIBBLE doing nothing, I was running through out the whole stupid map. And all the little miniQs were inactive.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As others said, change instances.

But what I find annoying is the one you have to guess which box the miniQ is hiding. Because the NPCs that walk by cover his tracks a lot. I wish I could shoot them to get them out of the way of my gaming. lol

Or the griefers who try to run through the boxes back and forth to hide him too. They should know the sooner I get mine done the faster I will be out of their way.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • sjokruhlicasjokruhlica Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Why would Cryptic, or any game studio, worry about casual players? They're not the ones who pay the bills.
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Why would Cryptic, or any game studio, worry about casual players? They're not the ones who pay the bills.

Casual player does not mean they don't sub.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They always cater to the casuals. Why do you think they do all those changes for pvp?
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That's not a solution. That would require more grind, and more time, and there aren't enough points available to get enough commendations (I REFUSE to call it that TRIBBLE name) for the first player to get the ship THEN make the sponsorship.

The real solution?

No grind. Make the ship an attachment to the limited-run mission completion.
    edited January 2014

Casual players buy more stuff than subs or gold members
    edited January 2014
    When the hell did I say I wanted everything handed to me, show me where the hell did I say that?
    I believe he was addressing the idea expressed that a casual player cannot do anything in this game only playing 1-2 hours. That is clearly not true.
    My complaint is that took me 40 minutes to tag 2 stupid miniQ, I was not sitting on my TRIBBLE doing nothing, I was running through out the whole stupid map. And all the little miniQs were inactive.
    Of course the flip-side here is that I did my Party Daily on 4 characters this morning in about 30 minutes. Perhaps you were just in a bugged zone.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited January 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I believe he was addressing the idea expressed that a casual player cannot do anything in this game only playing 1-2 hours. That is clearly not true.

Of course the flip-side here is that I did my Party Daily on 4 characters this morning in about 30 minutes. Perhaps you were just in a bugged zone.

And I also explained that this was before the big crash hit the servers, so that could be the reason as well, I was worried that this would be the trend.
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Arbitrary grind gates are not some kind of virtuous labor to prove your worth, and those who balk at them are not just lazy people who don't want to "work." That is a dishonest portrayal of the situation and does not advance the discussion at all.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    (I REFUSE to call it that TRIBBLE name)

We reach, brother.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thing is this: I don't think the devs had any idea what the grind would be like. According to Branflakes:
    • The "daily" to get 40 more has taken 2-5 minutes on average during testing, and you either complete one mini-game or another for the daily.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    First, 2 mins???? Had to be all "chase Q" missions. Or the boxes moved faster for them. Let's not forget they played it on a private server with no griefers.

2nd, let's look at the reported completion times, just in this thread. We'll cut the OP's time as a statistical anomoly. I'm hearing mostly 10 mins per char, very best at 7.5 (4 chars in 30 mins).
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
    edited January 2014
    Where in my post did I hold YOU up as an example of the type of player I was describing? I didn't even quote anything YOU posted. Please show us where I used YOUR name anywhere in my post.

Your defensive response to my generalization of a small faction of players looks to me like you have a guilty conscience.

My apologies, I thought you were referring to me because I am a casual player. I don't want anything hand out, I want to work for it, but Cryptic needs to give us more time, instead of 15-25 days, make this event a 3 month at least period so we can get all the tasks completed, many people who are casual players sometimes can go with a whole week without been able to connect and then they miss the items, we don't want hand out, just more time.
  • mutualcoremutualcore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I just run away if the box game shows up. Just do the Q that runs away.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have no issue with it. I found that with a little effort it went quickly.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
    edited January 2014
    I used to be gold member on another account and I have spent well over $2000 in this game. People who think casuals don pay are sadly mistaken, must of us cannot grind like normal players do and we many times end having to buy the ships from the Z-store
    edited January 2014
    I used to be gold member on another account and I have spent well over $2000 in this game. People who think casuals don pay are sadly mistaken, must of us cannot grind like normal players do and we many times end having to buy the ships from the Z-store
    No one thinks casual players do not pay - I have no clue where you got that idea. Casual has to do with the amount of time you spend playing not the amount of money you spend on the game.
    edited January 2014

I was not talking about you Thecosmic 1 but to the above post.
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with a profit deadline - this is especially true when you realize they did not offer anything to purchase with the event so profit does not fall into this. It has to do with an Anniversary deadline on Sunday.

You're sort of right, there is no direct profit from this event. But the idea behind F2P games seems to be if you have X number of people playing for Y amount of time, then you can predict that Z number of those people will spend some amount of cash. I'm sure that Cryptic has a ratio worked out of how many people it takes logged on to equal one dollar of profit per hour or whatever. And I'm sure that there was a profit spike yesterday with the release of a new lock box, the key sale still going on, and the lobi conversion to Q-mendations on offer. Make no mistake, Cryptic always offers something to buy with every event.

As for the shell game, I'm going to be seeing if the cheat someone mentioned of using the camera to look inside the boxes works. Its not fun, and I'd love wack a Q much more.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Re: Party-goers

I did Party Patrol just to say that I did it. I'm still debating whether or not I think the reward is worth it.

Not sure what everyone else's experience was, but I found it fairly easy to catch the runners when I got them. They tended to get slowed up in the scenery, giving me time to catch up and punch the button.

The shell game is still as big a pain as I remember it. You have no choice but to stand and wait until the boxes stop moving, the scenery can block your view and make it difficult, and it can be easy to fail even if you're watching closely.

And, as predicted, getting to an available party-goer before someone else does can be an exercise in frustration. That said, I'm not sure but I think they seem to be re-spawning faster than the last time they did this.

Unfortunately, I got more shell game than runner and as I said the shell game takes a set amount of time to complete. That means that particular party-goer won't re-spawn as fast as an easily-caught runner and I suspect that the average completion time is worse than chasing a runner. And so, the more shell games you end up having to do the worse your completion time will get. I hope Cryptic runs the numbers on that.

I'm guessing that the odds are supposed to be 50/50 as to which version you get. I'm thinking this needs to be more like 25/75 in favor of getting a runner.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek