test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• wrenfuwrenfu Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I wouldn't object to abandoning the idea that a grind reduction be part of the lifetime subscriber perks -- I suggested it mainly just because it is still one way that people are spending real money in the game.

That said, I still think it's wrong for PWE to collect cash from players who spend real money in the game every month and still expect those same players to grind as if they are F2P players.

Not only am I a lifetimer, but I spend a set chunk of every paycheck on Zen ... and there are a lot of players like me in the game. I'm doing my taxes now and I added up everything I spent on STO in 2013 and it got into the 5-digit range. I don't regret any of it because I work hard for a good salary and STO is my main entertainment expense ... and I still have enough money to pay my bills.

Still, when people spend that kind of cash on STO then I think it's fair for PWE to say, "Thank you for helping us pay our bills. You don't have to grind quite as much as the people who pay us zip."

clearly you're not spending enough of your zen on reducing the grind. maybe bump that up to 6 figures?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • matrix0matrix0 Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You guys do know that lts and subs couldn't sustain STO right? Hence, it was bought by pwe and became F2P and prosper. Without those F2Pers, ltsers and subers wouldn't have a game to play.

Pwe/Cryptics has already posted that there will be a release of c-store version later, so what is the problem? If you don't want to grind then wait and buy the c-store version. If you want the free ship without grinding then use lobi. Hence, pay and no grind.

In any mmo, the reward is always proportional to the work/time players put in. This year anniversary FE is way more awesome than last year. The reward ship is way better than the one from last year too. Also, I'm confused why ppl keep whining about grinding? It only take a few mins to do the missions. If you call that grinding, then perhaps you should stop playing mmo.

I'm a ltser and frankly, I'm annoyed by all the attitudes other ltsers who act like spoiled children. For the love of logic, with all the perks - free vet stuff, free zen - we all have gotten back more than 200$ we spent. So stop acting high and mighty.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I wouldn't object to abandoning the idea that a grind reduction be part of the lifetime subscriber perks -- I suggested it mainly just because it is still one way that people are spending real money in the game.

That said, I still think it's wrong for PWE to collect cash from players who spend real money in the game every month and still expect those same players to grind as if they are F2P players.

Not only am I a lifetimer, but I spend a set chunk of every paycheck on Zen ... and there are a lot of players like me in the game. I'm doing my taxes now and I added up everything I spent on STO in 2013 and it got into the 5-digit range. I don't regret any of it because I work hard for a good salary and STO is my main entertainment expense ... and I still have enough money to pay my bills.

Still, when people spend that kind of cash on STO then I think it's fair for PWE to say, "Thank you for helping us pay our bills. You don't have to grind quite as much as the people who pay us zip."

Well, you kind of already have plenty of perks. Unlimted Dil refining, Playable borg, no currency cap, exclusive ships, shuttles and social areas and other stuff. I mean, really, you've gotten plenty over the years. Expecting even more because you toss cash around is kinda jerkish. Especially when you infer that Free players are beneath your status. That's just rude.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • wrenfuwrenfu Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    matrix0 wrote: »
    You guys do know that lts and subs couldn't sustain STO right? Hence, it was bought by pwe and became F2P and prosper. Without those F2Pers, ltsers and subers wouldn't have a game to play.

Pwe/Cryptics has already posted that there will be a release of c-store version later, so what is the problem? If you don't want to grind then wait and buy the c-store version. If you want the free ship without grinding then use lobi. Hence, pay and no grind.

In any mmo, the reward is always proportional to the work/time players put in. This year anniversary FE is way more awesome than last year. The reward ship is way better than the one from last year too. Also, I'm confused why ppl keep whining about grinding? It only take a few mins to do the missions. If you call that grinding, then perhaps you should stop playing mmo.

I'm a ltser and frankly, I'm annoyed by all the attitudes other ltsers who act like spoiled children. For the love of logic, with all the perks - free vet stuff, free zen - we all have gotten back more than 200$ we spent. So stop acting high and mighty.

without the subbers and lifetimers there wouldn't have been a game TO save
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If you think about it, after the regular episodes, there are now 2 Featured Episodes. After reaching level 50, the only thing left is grinding.

The difference is that those of us that are free to play have to grind the same stuff as those that pay, and more. Every bank upgrade, the account bank, and all the other unlocks that paying players get, we all have to grind for, on top of the regular grind.

Also, the vet. rewards, there is no way that free to play can get those at all. The ships, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I am not complaining here. I have no problem having to grind both the things paying players need to, PLUS grinding for the things that paying members get without the grind.

However, if the regular grind, that is actually the end game content, is reduced for paying players, then what is left for them to do. It will be like being able to skip to the end of the game faster. When all the grinding is done, and all the episodes are done, what is there left to do?

By not giving a reduction, on top of all the other benefits paying players get, they are giving something to players to do. Granted, it is boring a lot of times, because it is the same thing all the time. But, at least there is something.

When there is nothing left to grind, what will there be to do?

I am all for rewards being given to paying players. I completely support the free rewards that I have to grind for months to get, and even the ones like the vet rewards that all the grinding in the game will not give me a chance to get. I would love to be able to get one of the vet. ships.

Even the 500 Zen each month would be nice. It would help cut my grind down by a lot. Not to mention that paying players can also refine an extra 1000 dilithium in 2 days. That is an extra 500 per day. In 30 days, that is 15,000 refined dilithium, plus the 8,000 normally.

So, since the free benefits that are now given to paying players are not worth it, would anyone wanting a reduction in the end game content be willing to give up the 500 Zen each month, or any of the other benefits to trade for this?

If so, I would love to have any of the benefits that were only for paying players made available to free to play.

Even if I had the money, I would not expect EVERYTHING in the game to be made easy for me.

If you total up all the rewards that are given to paying players, that free to play don't have a chance at, it is already a lot. Is there no end to what paying players should be given?

Just curious.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    And now the server just went Puff!!! :D

Ever the server doesn't like this hideous Anniversary Work Detail grind-o-rama. :cool:

jkuang13 wrote: »
    Guess I'll just say it here since every other thread is disappearing...

You guys are merging completely unrelated threads together, making it difficult to actually communicate.

They don't have a choice. They've run out of related threads to merge in an attempt to bury all the complaints. :D
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ever the server doesn't like this hideous Anniversary Work Detail grind-o-rama. :cool:
    Or... it's so popular that the servers couldn't handle the sheer joy of the playerbase. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • terongrayterongray Member Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Or... it's so popular that the servers couldn't handle the sheer joy of the playerbase. :D

Man, Cryptic must be paying you off something good to be so zealously loyal. Reminds me of the old plant in a crowd to claim the validity and greatness of the product to sell bad stuff.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014

:rolleyes:

10 chars.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • erraberrab Member Posts: 1,434 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    All ready seeing the Science Destroyers in game.

Money, Money, Money, Money...... Monieee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • madblooddollmadblooddoll Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    terongray wrote: »
    Man, Cryptic must be paying you off something good to be so zealously loyal. Reminds me of the old plant in a crowd to claim the validity and greatness of the product to sell bad stuff.

Cryptic actually did that in their other game. The people would agree with everything they did, even when it was outright garbage.

After doing this mission just twice I'm bored and that's just on one character. It's not fun. Especially the activating things all over moving slow in space..
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Have you no shame? :D;)
  • ovinspaceovinspace Member Posts: 310
    edited January 2014
    How do you catch the Qs and creatures?
  • soundwisdomsoundwisdom Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Isn't the anniversery event supposed to be about

PLAYER APPRECIATION

With how much we complain about being forced to login every day for this rep grind in other 'events' the fact you have the audacity to do it to the event focused around player appreciation shows how absolutely out of touch with your playerbase is.

Absolutely disappointing.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Isn't the anniversery event supposed to be about

PLAYER APPRECIATION

With how much we complain about being forced to login every day for this rep grind in other 'events' the fact you have the audacity to do it to the event focused around player appreciation shows how absolutely out of touch with your playerbase is.

Absolutely disappointing.
    Who lied to you and told you that? :P It's a PR gimmick. Always has been. And you only have to login if you want the shiny, otherwise you don't. :P
    ovinspace wrote: »
    How do you catch the Qs and creatures?
    Run after them. They don't actually keep running indefinitely, or at least they didn't in 2012... The box game from last year is a bit different, just pay very close attention to where things move.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • karokoram48204karokoram48204 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Don't post much, but I have a question I really want the devs to answer.

At any point during creation and testing did someone play The Party Patrol shell game and think it was fun? (even slightly enjoyable?)

I personally play games for enjoyment, and I assume the devs intend an enjoyable experience.

(yes I know, blah blah, not being forced to do it... your comment isn't necessary)

Did they consider the possibility of a grindable daily with an enjoyable minigame? I personally think its possible.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They should have given us the option to beat the annoying little TRIBBLE to death.

Now, THAT would have been a blast.
  • karokoram48204karokoram48204 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They should have given us the option to beat the annoying little TRIBBLE to death.

Whack-a-Q, sounds much more fun than the shell game
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, years anniversary is pretty terrible, so between that mission and how you get the full Dyson set, there is no way in hell i'm doing this for anyone of my characters let alone all of them. Even the revamped missions were left lacking, at least the ones i could get through before the servers died again. They really should have made the daily mission revolve around the anniversary mission, it would have been way better.

I don't know how this mess got through to live, but i'm glad that even the servers aren't going to put up with this.

In all fairness though, the Tuvok mission was pretty great when it didn't bug out.
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, years anniversary is pretty terrible, so between that mission and how you get the full Dyson set, there is no way in hell i'm doing this for anyone of my characters let alone all of them. Even the revamped missions were left lacking, at least the ones i could get through before the servers died again. They really should have made the daily mission revolve around the anniversary mission, it would have been way better.

I don't know how this mess got through to live, but i'm glad that even the servers aren't going to put up with this.

In all fairness though, the Tuvok mission was pretty great when it didn't bug out.

Any great mission would feel lousy after you repeat it 3 times per char.
  • kururu565kururu565 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Whack-a-Q, sounds much more fun than the shell game

+1 to the post. The dev should make it into another mini games
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, years anniversary is pretty terrible, so between that mission and how you get the full Dyson set, there is no way in hell i'm doing this for anyone of my characters let alone all of them.
    Why would all your characters even need a science ship?: And it will be in the c-store in a few weeks, just like the Odyssey. So if you really want it for all your characters you can just buy it.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't hate it.

I don't think that it's great fun, but I don't hate it.

I do not like that it can be rigged, though, with the boxes sometimes stacking on top of each other and the qs being able to switch into any of those boxes. No way to be sure unless the q runs from one box to another or you can catch a glimpse of him sticking out the side of a box at some later point.

==========

But I will tell you what is absolutely, 100% not enjoyable.

When some jerk decides to stand right in the path of the boxes, adding even more obstacles to your being able to tell which box he is in.

Or when someone decides to start activating abilities that result in all sorts of lighting effects and visual obstructions.

Maybe a bunch of people could even decide to just wander around and make tracking the q absolutely impossible.

This is something that shouldn't be possible.

Switch the shell game to a "window" game.

Whether it be like data-mining, dilithium mining, the artifact sorting on Defera, Radiation samples on New Romulus, or some other new system, I shouldn't have to deal with a bunch of people who's life sucks so much that all they can do to make themselves feel better is to try and drag other people down while playing a game.
  • serevnserevn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I put my vote towards the Whack-A-Q mini-game.
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yea, the day has been fun for the STO community... seeing how many time the server collapses and how much of the mission you can get done before the next crash. :eek:

After the second crash, I was able to finish one run on one toon and then go to the Lobi store and get the 600 q-tickets from 41 boxes (205 lobis) to close out one toon (out of 3 that will be the only ones with the Anniv ship... and no C-store ship in the future). :rolleyes:

STO/Cryptic/PWE can count this event as a Karma event... give a bad deal and get a bad start. :P
  • abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 649 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, I am not exactly a big fan of this mini game either. What I feel about it falls somewhere in between animosity and loathing.

Having to compete with 100 other players on the same map for the same resources is annoying. The shell game fills me with malice, and when it appears I just ignore it and search for another miniQ. :mad:

The whack-a-Q idea has merit though. ;)
  • apedilbertapedilbert Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The shell game exists because it was easy for them to program. That's pretty much all there is to it.

It's actually a good thing because it gives the devs more time to make things we'll actually like, like the new party poppers.
  • eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Any tips on easier ways to beat the shell game? I played it last year - Q is difficult for me to see depending on which way the presents move.

I can kinda crouch and zoom just right to peek inside the presents if I didn't see Q move - but not always. To me, this seems more of a time waster than something fun to do.
  • palinell69palinell69 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Don't post much, but I have a question I really want the devs to answer.

At any point during creation and testing did someone play The Party Patrol shell game and think it was fun? (even slightly enjoyable?)

I personally play games for enjoyment, and I assume the devs intend an enjoyable experience.

(yes I know, blah blah, not being forced to do it... your comment isn't necessary)

Did they consider the possibility of a grindable daily with an enjoyable minigame? I personally think its possible.

Really could not agree more, grind/work those are not terms that should be used on a GAME, but the point is to have FUN, tons of fun and play a fantasy. The party patrol after learning it is NOT fun at all, Cryptic Studio needs to begin drug testing all employees
  • donrahdonrah Member Posts: 348
    edited January 2014
    Who lied to you and told you that? :P It's a PR gimmick. Always has been. And you only have to login if you want the shiny, otherwise you don't. :PRun after them. They don't actually keep running indefinitely, or at least they didn't in 2012... The box game from last year is a bit different, just pay very close attention to where things move.

Except the problem is, people are really unhappy with the amount of grind this game has. Your suggestion is exactly the opposite of what people want. They don't want to avoid it, they want to play the game without grind. You might as well tell people to just uninstall the game, but that's cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    Go here and show your support for a better Foundry!