test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Free and Exclusive Khan Uniforms via Arc (Claiming method update in OP)

Comments

• Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    marc8219 wrote: »
    Whats the deal with this arc controversy? I never used it before myself as I still just use the old client so saw no need for it, but why is everyone so against it?

The "controversy" ranges from people just not wanting the client to tin-foil hat freak outs about spyware and malware.
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    It's going to be mandatory one day people so might as well get your dang costumes.

Pretty much this. I guess a miracle could happen and they scrap Arc but I don't see it happening. I also don't see them keeping this on Steam once Arc is out of the beta phase.

As for the costume itself, it's nice but It isn't for me. It just doesn't fit for my Vulcan.
  • Options
    captaintpolcaptaintpol Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    (STO)
    Matriarch of Banished Orion Girls. Neela D'tan
    @captaintpol (with many alts)
    May we sail and have fun always and forever. LLAP

(PC version NW)
    Arwen@captaintpol TR - Tully's of RiverRun
    Mai Kelly DC-Tully's of RiverRun
    Neela BumKisses HR-
    Arya Stark GF-
    Sansa Stark CW- Team Fencebane
    Crystal Marie OP-

(xbox version NW)
    Arwen@Admiral Jazdia TR- Team Fenebane
    Mai Kelly DC- " "
    Ahsoka Tano CW- " "
    Neela BumKisser HR- " "
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Any way to ge this with the Mac version?
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    grievas wrote: »
    Yes, it is the same for me. Apparently you have to log in each character while on ARC.

This also means its probably not unlocked for future characters.

I can confirm this behavior. You will receive this costume on any character you log into while logging into STO through Arc. Once you receive this costume on a character, it is permanent on that character. You will not see these options on any character that has not been logged into while using Arc to log into STO.

As for the locations of the costume pieces themselves:
    • These are Off-Duty costume slots. This means:
      • Only player characters can wear them. BOffs cannot currently wear these costumes.
      • They cannot be mix-matched with Uniform-only pieces.
      • For some reason you can only select costume type (uniform/formal/off-duty) from the "Head" section of the costume tailor.
    • Khan's Wrap:(Head covering with eye protection)
      • Head
        • Category: Helmets and Wraps
      • These are selected by choosing head style, like the MACO/Omega/KHG armor sets or Bajoran Vedec robe hood.
    • Khan Mullet:
      • Head
        • Hairstyle
      • Only for characters that can use hairstyles (sorry, no epic MULLETGORN)
    • Khan's Tunic
      • Uniform
        • Upper Body
          • Category: Off Duty - Bare Chest
          • Upper
    • Khan's Gloves
      • Uniform
        • Upper Body
          • Hands
      • There are two versions: both gloves or one glove (Michael Jackson style)
    • Khan's Pendant
      • Uniform
        • Upper Body
          • Collar
    • Khan's Wristband
      • Uniform
        • Upper Body
          • Wrist Attach Left
    • Weathered Shirt (reads "Botany Bay")
      • Uniform
        • Upper Body
          • Undershirt
    • Khan's Belt
      • Uniform
        • Lower Body
          • Belt
    • Khan's Pants
      • Uniform
        • Lower Body
          • Category: Off Duty - Pants -Tight
          • Lower
    • Khan's Boots
      • Uniform
        • Lower Body
          • Feet (Khan's boots are only available with the tight pants on male toons. I don't have any female characters to check if they can be used with skirts)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014

And I was so stupid clicking on the buttons because I thought one of them will be the Zoom...
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    *sigh*

I did it...for Khan. On my old machine though. I swear that non-ARC STO ran faster on it than ARC STO did... Thanks Perfect World! Now I feel sooo dirty...and wrong...

ARC is coming people...enjoy these final days while you can.
  • Options
    keppoch1keppoch1 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    stelakkh wrote: »
    So...

Got the e-mail thanking me for using Arc. You're not welcome.

Got a fly-in notice about the Khan outfit.

Went to the tailor.

Looked for the Khan off-duty outfit.

I have no options anywhere in the tailor for off-duty or the Khan outfit.

Came to the forums looking for a fix or some kind of thing, and someone (I wonder who that could have been...) merged the "Unable to get the new Khan outfit" with THIS announcement thread - evidencing once again the capacity for Cryptic and its cronies to obfuscate things through a general lack of common sense (something ELSE that's been a hallmark of STO for the past four years :) ).

That said, what's the solution to this, please? I see that I am not the only person to be experiencing this issue.

I found that the off duty option was only available on extra costume slots. The original that I created at character creation did not have this option.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    And I was so stupid clicking on the buttons because I thought one of them will be the Zoom...

you should of been able to click the image and it enlarged
    (STO)

(PC version NW)
    Neela BumKisses HR-
    Arya Stark GF-
    Crystal Marie OP-

(xbox version NW)
    Mai Kelly DC- " "
    Ahsoka Tano CW- " "
    Neela BumKisser HR- " "
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    you should of been able to click the image and it enlarged

I didn't realize it was the Windows Task Bar:D
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    wardcalis wrote: »
    lol no, there shouldn't be a way for mac users to play at all. Apple should burn, and everything the greedy TRIBBLE make along with them.

So, to make this clear:
    because you do not like my computer (or more likely in cases of that strong kind of reaction: because you are jealous because you can't afford that kind of computer) you want to forbid me and other Mac users to play this game.

There is a word for people like you, but writing us violates forum rules.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I didn't realize it was the Windows Task Bar:D

O_O Allon-Z
    (STO)

(PC version NW)
    Neela BumKisses HR-
    Arya Stark GF-
    Crystal Marie OP-

(xbox version NW)
    Mai Kelly DC- " "
    Ahsoka Tano CW- " "
    Neela BumKisser HR- " "
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kozar2 wrote: »
    If I don't uninstall can i still launch from Steam after or does ARC override it and launch automatically? In case there is another freebie later on.
    I can confirm that if you don't uninstall Arc, it does nothing unless you launch it deliberately. You can launch from Steam and everything works fine, no Arcs involved.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I must say, the khan uniform is really really ugly. Im not surprised they give it away for free.. i only wanted the boots, but since u cant mix parts.. im not even to get it for my alt char.. god, its really horrendous.. xD. :eek:

If this is how Arc is going to gain points, they will FAIL -
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    It's funny - I nearly passed this up. Not because of Arc (I got it downloaded), but I saw "Khan Uniforms" and though "Oh, well, I just got the uniforms", thinking it was the Wrath of Khan Starfleet uniforms.

Then I started poking around and, indeed, it was a totally different uniform altogether! Many thanks!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I must say, the khan uniform is really really ugly. Im not surprised they give it away for free.. i only wanted the boots, but since u cant mix parts.. im not even to get it for my alt char.. god, its really horrendous.. xD. :eek:

Well, of course the Khan uniform is ugly - you'd be left with a whole lot of tattered clothes if you were left alone on a world like Ceti Alpha V for fifteen years.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

i can mix parts, also it is account wide unlock for all toons,
    (STO)

(PC version NW)
    Neela BumKisses HR-
    Arya Stark GF-
    Crystal Marie OP-

(xbox version NW)
    Mai Kelly DC- " "
    Ahsoka Tano CW- " "
    Neela BumKisser HR- " "
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    I can confirm that if you don't uninstall Arc, it does nothing unless you launch it deliberately. You can launch from Steam and everything works fine, no Arcs involved.

Hence why I downloaded it launched the game with it once then gone back to the standard STO launcher that has been with the game for years.

I am glad they gave the uniform to the KDF, would've been disappointed if it was only for one faction.

Still would have been nice if it was a standard uniform and not just an off-duty. Personally they really need to get rid of off-duty and merge them with the standard uniforms.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i can mix parts, also it is account wide unlock for all toons,

Not working as Account wide for me... only one toon has it, the toon I logged in at work. I got the in game email saying thanks for using Arc and logged off.

When I got home I logged in and only that toon has it... all other toons on account has zip.
  • Options
    jackassassinjackassassin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Is a real shame that we can't use this outfit on our bridge officers. I think boffs should be able to wear off duty and formal outfits, damn it!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Hence why I downloaded it launched the game with it once then gone back to the standard STO launcher that has been with the game for years.

I am glad they gave the uniform to the KDF, would've been disappointed if it was only for one faction.

Still would have been nice if it was a standard uniform and not just an off-duty. Personally they really need to get rid of off-duty and merge them with the standard uniforms.

if they get rid of off-duty they are TRIBBLE the Roleplayers, me being one of them
    (STO)

(PC version NW)
    Neela BumKisses HR-
    Arya Stark GF-
    Crystal Marie OP-

(xbox version NW)
    Mai Kelly DC- " "
    Ahsoka Tano CW- " "
    Neela BumKisser HR- " "
  • Options
    captainespinozacaptainespinoza Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Will this be available tomorrow?
    tumblr_static_enterprise_warping_zpseb918134.gif
  • Options
    solidshatnersolidshatner Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So, today for the anniversary - I get a Horta.

Now . . . awesome Khan set for Arc.

Nice try - no thank you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Free with the installation of the malware PW is DESPERATELY trying to force on its player base...

Still not using it. Still NEVER using it. Still of the opinion that this is terrible for business.

Brandon, pass along this feedback to the PW team developing ARC: "The Customer is Always Right. The Customer Wants You To Stop." ARC is bad. ARC is unneeded. ARC is unWANTed. this is PW doing to STO what Google did with Youtube with the G+ integration; or, worse - and sadly more accurate, what Microsoft did with Windows 8. Windows 8 was terrible from inception. And it only got worse. And when Microsoft finally LAUNCHED the butchered mess, they cancelled ALL production AND sale of Windows 7. They said "anyone wanting to use PC MUST now use this, or try to find a copy of Windows 7."

ARC is basically that, but eventually mandating that Windows 7 be turned in and forcibly upgraded to Windows 8, or lose your computer. Yes, you said at one point that you'd allow Steam to keep STO, but how long will that last? A year or two down the line when no STO player will use ARC and you've either lost players or only see Steam users, will you renege on keeping it? ARC has already driven away players before it's come out of beta. And don't lie to us - ARC will one day be mandatory. Either ARC or Steam, despite the fact that the current launcher works FINE. So, I'm going to pass along the same feedback I've been giving:

If you insist on perpetuating this awful idea (and please, please DON'T insist), at least do it properly.
    1: ARC does not need a browser built in. That is a processor hog and a security risk wrapped in an un-necessity. ARC is a launcher primarily for MMOs. No MMO player doesn't have a browser. ARC doesn't need one. I don't know a single player that doesn't have a browser a mouse-click away... or, better, on a different device.
    2: Let ARC go into a super-low-processor state (almost closed, if not closed altogether) after the desired game launches. This would actually make it SUPERIOR to Steam in one manner, as steam continues to hog CPU while open and MUST be open to play games on it. Let ARC go to a back burner and be unobtrusive.
    3: KEEP ARC OPTIONAL. I know a great deal of players share my sentiment when I say that I have no intention of playing other Perfect World games at this time. STO is grind-tastic enough as is that, between it and real life, I have no time for other games. If I somehow DO... I'll go and install the games. The PW website is a viable hub for all of their games and companies. Those games have fully functional launchers. For that matter, so does STO. ARC's intent is to allow me to access other PW games if I choose... the STO launcher allows me to launch any installed Cryptic game with any launcher no problem. The current STO launcher works fine for this intent. Let us keep it. Forcing a product on a customer, that the customer does not want, leads to lack of a customer. This is true in ANY market. It's no different here. Forcing ARC on players - now or a year from now - is bad.

So, to conclude, I have a proposition. Make a Forum Poll: Do You Want ARC, Yes or No?

I'm willing to bet money it'll be no.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hmm. There is a plug-in.

Which it took me all of three seconds to disable in Firefox, and instruct the browser to never open that app. Can't speak for IE, as it's the worst bloatware I've ever used, so I don't use it. Similar to the deal I have on Javascript - until Oracle says they've fixed all the security holes currently known, I won't enable it in my browser. Haven't missed it much either.

Maybe I should go into the programs, and see if the Arc plugin can be deleted separately...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    icegavel wrote: »
    Free with the installation of the malware PW is DESPERATELY trying to force on its player base...

Still not using it. Still NEVER using it. Still of the opinion that this is terrible for business.

Brandon, pass along this feedback to the PW team developing ARC: "The Customer is Always Right. The Customer Wants You To Stop." ARC is bad. ARC is unneeded. ARC is unWANTed. this is PW doing to STO what Google did with Youtube with the G+ integration; or, worse - and sadly more accurate, what Microsoft did with Windows 8. Windows 8 was terrible from inception. And it only got worse. And when Microsoft finally LAUNCHED the butchered mess, they cancelled ALL production AND sale of Windows 7. They said "anyone wanting to use PC MUST now use this, or try to find a copy of Windows 7."

ARC is basically that, but eventually mandating that Windows 7 be turned in and forcibly upgraded to Windows 8, or lose your computer. Yes, you said at one point that you'd allow Steam to keep STO, but how long will that last? A year or two down the line when no STO player will use ARC and you've either lost players or only see Steam users, will you renege on keeping it? ARC has already driven away players before it's come out of beta. And don't lie to us - ARC will one day be mandatory. Either ARC or Steam, despite the fact that the current launcher works FINE. So, I'm going to pass along the same feedback I've been giving:

If you insist on perpetuating this awful idea (and please, please DON'T insist), at least do it properly.
    1: ARC does not need a browser built in. That is a processor hog and a security risk wrapped in an un-necessity. ARC is a launcher primarily for MMOs. No MMO player doesn't have a browser. ARC doesn't need one. I don't know a single player that doesn't have a browser a mouse-click away... or, better, on a different device.
    2: Let ARC go into a super-low-processor state (almost closed, if not closed altogether) after the desired game launches. This would actually make it SUPERIOR to Steam in one manner, as steam continues to hog CPU while open and MUST be open to play games on it. Let ARC go to a back burner and be unobtrusive.
    3: KEEP ARC OPTIONAL. I know a great deal of players share my sentiment when I say that I have no intention of playing other Perfect World games at this time. STO is grind-tastic enough as is that, between it and real life, I have no time for other games. If I somehow DO... I'll go and install the games. The PW website is a viable hub for all of their games and companies. Those games have fully functional launchers. For that matter, so does STO. ARC's intent is to allow me to access other PW games if I choose... the STO launcher allows me to launch any installed Cryptic game with any launcher no problem. The current STO launcher works fine for this intent. Let us keep it. Forcing a product on a customer, that the customer does not want, leads to lack of a customer. This is true in ANY market. It's no different here. Forcing ARC on players - now or a year from now - is bad.

So, to conclude, I have a proposition. Make a Forum Poll: Do You Want ARC, Yes or No?

enough people use arc they are keeping it and i am only having it and never turning it on unless they have freebies other than that i use steam all the way
    (STO)

(PC version NW)
    Neela BumKisses HR-
    Arya Stark GF-
    Crystal Marie OP-

(xbox version NW)
    Mai Kelly DC- " "
    Ahsoka Tano CW- " "
    Neela BumKisser HR- " "
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    icegavel wrote: »

Oh, get over yourself.
  • Options
    cyckathcyckath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Was very pleased to start up STO on my train trip to work this morning (I run Arc exclusively on my secondary bored on train trip laptop) to get this and the Acid Horta :)
  • Options
    theonetruetomtheonetruetom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's not necessarily malware, but as long as PWE games are available from ANYWHERE else (Steam, looking at you) Arc is completely unneeded. I get it, PWE, you want your own overlay with your own possible ad revenue and such from the overlay browser. But Steam already has this, and has a much larger installed base. This is one of the reasons I hate Ubisoft games, like AC3 and similar. Because you install Steam, then you install the Ubi game you purchased, and then you install Ubi's launcher. In the end, relying on Steam for DRM would have saved Ubi the development cost of their own launcher, and brought in a lot more revenue because gamers won't end up irritable about installing an additional piece of unneccesaryware.