test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• Options
    bannon3bannon3 Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ha. I wonder what special console it will have.

That will require 800 lobi to unlock, shhhh its a secret until, then. But you will at least have the ship for 30 or 40 USD
    In Space, Cryptic cant hear you scream!!!
  • Options
    mynameisnommynameisnom Member Posts: 639 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    One which will consume Dilithium or ZEN on activation.

LOL. The ship is free but the console takes 500 dil from you every minute you are using the ship
    [SIGPIC]http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.html[/SIGPIC]
    stoutes wrote: »
    Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
    The boss being a gigantic Winter Epohh Researcher. As you lay waste to the Epohh Horde, she can occasionally cry out things like, "Didn't you want an Epohh friend?"
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi Captains,

This image was taken from Tribble, but I wanted to provide a few important notes about this. The free ships this year are not your average Anniversary ship; they've got some extremely amazing bells and whistles, and even 2 new mechanics being introduced for the first time (more info soon). Because of this, you'll need to work a tad bit harder for a free ship over just running an episode one time. However! You will receive a package of 400 Qmendations as a one-time reward the first time you complete the Featured Episode, "A Step Between Stars." That means you only need to collect 600 more, which at 40 a day from completing a short daily, will take 15 days out of the 25+ days the event runs. There should also be a Lobi option for additional/ substitute Qmendations.

All of this info and much more will be coming up in our Dev Blogs next week, and I think once you see the ships, you'll see why a little extra effort for the ships will be more than worth it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Well, that sounds a heck of a lot better.

Sounds like these ships are pretty freaking awesome, though. Are they 10-console ships?
  • Options
    exa12exa12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi Captains,
    ...That means you only need to collect 600 more, which at 40 a day from completing a short daily,...
    Brandon =/\=

It had better be a less sppony mission than the aggravating cup game from last year

for spoiler text use #1b1c1f
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i do not expect brandon be forthcoming on the ships until next week. may as well leave it at that.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    Its a sci ship

Only half of the time ;) More info soon.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    double post
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    So the normal players who work and cannot play everyday are basically what screwed?

what? putting a side an hour a day is too much?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Hi Captains,

This image was taken from Tribble, but I wanted to provide a few important notes about this. The free ships this year are not your average Anniversary ship; they've got some extremely amazing bells and whistles, and even 2 new mechanics being introduced for the first time (more info soon). Because of this, you'll need to work a tad bit harder for a free ship over just running an episode one time. However! You will receive a package of 400 Qmendations as a one-time reward the first time you complete the Featured Episode, "A Step Between Stars." That means you only need to collect 600 more, which at 40 a day from completing a short daily, will take 15 days out of the 25+ days the event runs. There should also be a Lobi option for additional/ substitute Qmendations.

All of this info and much more will be coming up in our Dev Blogs next week, and I think once you see the ships, you'll see why a little extra effort for the ships will be more than worth it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

So for the rest of us who are normal players and work or study and have a real life and cannot play everyday we are basically SCREWED?
  • Options
    firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi Captains,

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Well, that first-time package sure helps a lot.

I guess the rumor of science ships with 2 deflectors were true, so I'm getting pretty excited.

Is there any news on a new lockbox maybe? Will that be part of the anniversary event, or you plan to launch it after?
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Only half of the time ;) More info soon.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Oh noes. I know what they are o.o
    [SIGPIC]http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.html[/SIGPIC]
    Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
    The boss being a gigantic Winter Epohh Researcher. As you lay waste to the Epohh Horde, she can occasionally cry out things like, "Didn't you want an Epohh friend?"
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi Captains,

Thanks Brandon for clearing things up and providing a few more teases. ;)

Still, as it has already been said in this thread, it's not that earning or working for a brand new "free" prize is the problem. For me personally it's the fact that the way you earn those tokens has rarely been enjoyable to play (Winter Race or Summer's Superman 64).
    Assuming you can pass this feedback to the team - "working" in a video game is rarely fun, and for something like an anniversary event it would be nice to see something more engaging and less tedious. Of course it's easier said that done, but you see what's the overall attidude towards all this "grind".

Also, I assume the Party Patrol is the same "minigame" as the last year, right? If so, then I don't think I'm gonna enjoy this...
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited January 2014
    So something similar to the mode switching on the veteran ships perhaps...
    They better have bridge furniture embellished in gold pressed latinum if you're expecting people to do another ship grind so soon after the winter event :x
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi Captains,

... You will receive a package of 400 Qmendations as a one-time reward the first time you complete the Featured Episode, "A Step Between Stars." That means you only need to collect 600 more, which at 40 a day from completing a short daily, will take 15 days out of the 25+ days the event runs. There should also be a Lobi option for additional/ substitute Qmendations.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Brandon you mentioned "ships," which obviously means more than one, how many are going to be offered?

Hmm? 400 gift package isn't that bad, any tidbits on how long the actual daily going to take to complete?

OK, I am speculating a canon Intrepid Bridge somewhere in there; hoping
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    double post

No, you can always invest a "sensible" amount of money in Lockboxes for Lobi :) ( ;) )

It might, but I don't want to open that can of worms. Just keep in mind that you cannot apply your own standards to anybody else. That does in no way, shape or form mean that the players who can't participate should get an extra treatment since nobody is entitled to get a free ship.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I remember when game anniversary meant a new mission, lore and some goodies to celebrate the anniversary.
    Not a cheap way for more content.

We already have to grind for the summer event, the winter event, and various reputation.

I really don't like that. And the quality of the ship is not really an excuse.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    stark2k wrote: »
    Brandon you mentioned "ships," which obviously means more than one, how many are going to be offered?

Hmm? 400 gift package isn't that bad, any tidbits on how long the actual daily going to take to complete?

One per faction

fed , kdf , romulan
    12th Fleet
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Just like with the lobi event and winter event im gonna miss the grand prize....lol
  • Options
    bannon3bannon3 Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    Thanks Brandon for clearing things up and providing a few more teases. ;)

Still, as it has already been said in this thread, it's not that earning or working for a brand new "free" prize is the problem. For me personally it's the fact that the way you earn those tokens has rarely been enjoyable to play (Winter Race or Summer's Superman 64).
    Assuming you can pass this feedback to the team - "working" in a video game is rarely fun, and for something like an anniversary event it would be nice to see something more engaging and less tedious. Of course it's easier said that done, but you see what's the overall attidude towards all this "grind".

Also, I assume the Party Patrol is the same "minigame" as the last year, right? If so, then I don't think I'm gonna enjoy this...

Yup, agree totally. I was wondering how to balance the new Walking Dead episode and other games with Anniversary time, seems to no longer be a problem, I will sit this one out.
    In Space, Cryptic cant hear you scream!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    rrincy wrote: »
    One per faction

fed , kdf , romulan

ah shucks ... it is a sci, I know it :(
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014

When you have work and a family and kids, yes, some days I have to choose between the needs of my family and my own desires. Also if you have more than 1 character then what? I have 5 so that means 5 hours a day.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    There are leaked pictures of what MAY be these ships on the webs , not going to give links , since mods may get cranky
    12th Fleet
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Bran, I like to think of myself as an honest person, so I'll be honest here.

No matter how many bells and whistles it has; it's still another grind. Yes, the free 'Qmendations' for completing the 'storyline' mission are a help and I wouldn't mind seeing something similar instituted for the Summer/Winter Events... but it's still another grind in the end to get the rest of them. I suppose we should be glad that it's 'Party Patrol' and not another race.

All the 'bells and whistles' in the galaxy don't mean a thing if the grind has players thinking "You know what? Forget it, I don't want the Anniversary Ship - I'll just equip my favorite ship with the best gear I can and learn to use it to greatest effect, it'll be cheaper and easier in the long run."

Just... keep it in mind, okay, Dev team?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    When you have work and a family and kids, yes, some days I have to choose between the needs of my family and my own desires.

I know the feeling brother, I know the feeling - and most Star Trek fans and possibly players are of the older generation - No Offense to you younglings out there
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi Captains,

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

It'd better be worth my coin and resources....
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    maiewskimaiewski Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    at 40 a day from completing a short daily, will take 15 days out of the 25+ days the event runs. There should also be a Lobi option for additional/ substitute Qmendations.

You know, I just got back into this game in December after a long hiatus away. I get that you want us to play your game; better to play your game for free than have us playing something else. But in the span of a month you end a massive grindfest of an event and replace it with an only-slightly-less massive grindfest.

How short is short? Are we talking "Freeing the Deferi Captives" short? "Colony Invasion" short? "Starbase Defesne" short? The old "War is good for Business" short (as in, not very short at all)?

Many casual players only log in for a short time; but we have to grind Dyson Marks, Omega Marks (I was away a long time, only just got to Tier 2), Fleet Marks. I can't find the time to start on the Romulan or the Nukara marks, and haven't done much with those locations anyway. I barely have time for my Romulan, nevermind my Klingon characters. And now we have to grind Qmendations to get these Dyson ships. I would rather a half hour weekly worth 200 Qmendations than a five minute daily worth 40. Then I might be able to get one for a fed character or two, a Klingon character, my Rommy, AND still be able to actually PLAY THE GAME instead of doing something which suspiciously feels like busy work.

I know; buy the Lobi, buy the ship. Tell that to my oil bill, my cell-phone bill, and my mortgage. No, wait; you have the exact same problems. Game's gotta be profitable or you're out of a job.

I hope these missions are at least fun, and not as ridiculous as the Winter Race.
    DarthGM, GM Phil, Admiral Kavalon, et al

Currently cruising the Pi Canis Sector Block...
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, I prefer a mission like the one for the Ambassador Class last year, but these details have me very curious.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I tried the Winter and I couldn't do it, I have to gather marks for the New Romulus, Nukara, Dyson sphere, etc etc and now this?
  • Options
    alan171717alan171717 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    After looking at Bran's post I am happy again :)

I actually enjoy the grind in STO, as weird as that sounds, as long as I can really pace it out around my schedule
    "I am a travelor of both time and space to be where I have been"
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You know, I am a bit saddened by this. Why does everything now need to be, repeat this 2/3 missions 5 thousand times to get the next piece of gear/ship.

I'll grant you that the 400 Up front helps soften the blow... but honestly, not all that much.

Really, really... getting tired of the grind... and the spin job trying to get people excited about more grind.

Not to mention, you're talking new mechanics... (which, by the way, i think is underhanded for a limited time ship... so after the anniversary grind... I mean special event... no other ship will have these mechanics, and no chance to get them for a full year?... or after it ends, they get applied to existing ships?

I'm not normally a pitchfork and torch kinda guy... but really ... really disappointed.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....