test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guest Blog: Increasing Your Performance in PvP

12346»

Comments

• tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Kudos to PWE_BranFlakes and General for the posting of this article.

I don't play PvP much anymore. But when I engage again, I'm taking to heart much of what was written here.

Well done.
  • starfleetownsallstarfleetownsall Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tucana66 wrote: »
    Kudos to PWE_BranFlakes and General for the posting of this article.

I don't play PvP much anymore. But when I engage again, I'm taking to heart much of what was written here.

Well done.
    Glad you liked it
    Task Force Spectre, Legion of Spectre, and House of Spectre is recruiting!
    I watch the only good STO podcast STOked Radio
    Want to learn more about any of the above? Let me know!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mcduffie369mcduffie369 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I read this blog and all that it says is "premade or gtfo"...
    This games pve content is solo friendly but the pvp dose not accomodate for people who Q alone. Who ever wrote that blog obviously dose not pvp in STO. There is no time to form a counter stratagy in a match with a 15 kill (especially if your random team mates don't speak your language!)count or you get wiped in the first encounter and can't recover because you did not bring 3 sets of doffed grav wells and scramble sensors to keep the other team all fubar for the entire match or spawn camped.
    For pvp in this game to become of more interest to the community the Q will have to be changed or a ranking/ladder system installed. Until then we should not even talk about it and get what little enjoyment we can for the time being.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=14035241#post14035241

This post tells you how the majority of the game community feels about pvp. Pretty much, to make the majority of the community a little happier and willing to pvp you will need to add a mode where only randomly paired teams exist.
  • thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    des101 wrote: »
    Don't believe me? Roll a char to 50, fit only white gear and no uni consoles, have no Rep rewards, No Doffs, only use green Boffs with no passives, Remove all your traits and finally, jump in a standard Lvl 50 unlock ship.

Now jump into a PvP scenario and see how long you last.... ;)

I did ok. Lasted the entire match. Boff's have passives no matter what you do, but It wasn't like I was using Rep Types. And I didn't remove my traits as that's a tad silly. Everyone has traits. I did clear all my reputation passives. Reset them to zero. And I did keep doffs. Not ultra rare doffs or expensive ones. That's also silly to disregard those. They aren't terribly pricey.

I used a standard ship. No fleet, just what you would get by making rank.

Only white gear. Do you have ANY IDEA how expensive that is? Of course you don't. And please don't think I'm trolling, go try it.

I could have gotten much better gear for less if I wasn't forced into the commons. 125k EC will get you two shields that will cover all the damage types in the game. Could just switch between the two depending on who's hurting you the most, or failing that at least I could have gotten a nice high cap Resilient or something. But no. I got ole' whitey.

So sure you can do it, just have some reasonable expectation. Mine were not to blow up and to get kills. It worked out.

Cheers and happy flying! :D
  • thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jrq2 wrote: »
    That is the point, no one seem to know OR no one wants to the say how that person was able to SHIELD TANK all 4 ships despite those ships using everything they have on that JHAS Shields.

Damage is damage, what would be nice if someone can give use two or three shield setups that would allow this to happen not just plain? Well I think this or I think that.

We can spend all day saying I think this or maybe it was that.

I would like to know COLD HARD FACTS nothing else

This is what I know:
    The ship was a JHAS
    It was only using EPTS 1
    It was using the Borg shields (because I saw the Proc pop very frequently for me not to notice)
    It did use Haz Emt and Pol Hull
    And no they were not cross healing him he was a solo player

Now from that info how can one SHIELD TANK not Hull tank (SHIELD TANK) 4 ships plus 4 Elite runabout pets?

Be specific now.

Just so you can answer your own questions in the future, grab a parser. The first thing you want to do once you parse the log is to see how often that player was being missed.

And what he was actually being hit with. Just so you know, a player that has 25% passive defense from faction and race is easily going to take a minimum of 10% less hits. That may not seem like a lot, but that's just one increment. There could be more. And I'm sure there are. Just saying that if this player used some standard counters to raise his defense and boost shields PLUS they had this going for them, there would be a noticeable difference in the number of attacks hitting them.

And of course that's true, because you noticed it already.

And yes, Runabouts aren't so useful against fast ships with passive defense. Just the way it is. Only Gobs of Acc will help you there.
  • des101des101 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    thissler wrote: »
    I did ok. Lasted the entire match. Boff's have passives no matter what you do, but It wasn't like I was using Rep Types. And I didn't remove my traits as that's a tad silly. Everyone has traits. I did clear all my reputation passives. Reset them to zero. And I did keep doffs. Not ultra rare doffs or expensive ones. That's also silly to disregard those. They aren't terribly pricey.
    Tut, tut - So you cheated then? There is a reason why I said no Doffs and no Traits. And if you're smart, you can actually pick up some Boffs without Space Passive perks.

Now go sit in the corner for an hour ;)
    I used a standard ship. No fleet, just what you would get by making rank.

Only white gear. Do you have ANY IDEA how expensive that is? Of course you don't. And please don't think I'm trolling, go try it.

I could have gotten much better gear for less if I wasn't forced into the commons. 125k EC will get you two shields that will cover all the damage types in the game. Could just switch between the two depending on who's hurting you the most, or failing that at least I could have gotten a nice high cap Resilient or something. But no. I got ole' whitey.

So sure you can do it, just have some reasonable expectation. Mine were not to blow up and to get kills. It worked out.

Cheers and happy flying!

Expensive white gear? Seriously, move away from the exchange and/or vendors, go blow some npc's up and you'll be rolling in the white stuff. :cool:

And sorry, but your last bit.. It made I laugh! You must have been in one of those very rare matches where everyone wasn't kitted out to their eyeballs (I know, it does happen occasionally :eek: )!! Or you spent the whole match cloaked!

Because I've gone against someone in their tidy whities, laughed at their pitiful DPS as my shields record little 1 & 2 hits, got bored after 15 mins of them attempting to break my shields ( Grabbed a coffee, smoke, went to the shop in this time ).. and proceeded to one volley them into a nice ball of warp core breach-i-ness.

So, once your hour is up & you're allowed back out of the corner, you may try again.. Properly this time :cool:

**edited bit**

And no cheating this time - Go in a proper Assault or C&H Map.

**edited bit no.2 **

Thanks to General for taking the time to write the original Blog

Beta player - forum knows jack as to when I started

Tut, tut - So you cheated then? There is a reason why I said no Doffs and no Traits. And if you're smart, you can actually pick up some Boffs without Space Passive perks.

Now go sit in the corner for an hour ;)

Expensive white gear? Seriously, move away from the exchange and/or vendors, go blow some npc's up and you'll be rolling in the white stuff. :cool:

And sorry, but your last bit.. It made I laugh! You must have been in one of those very rare matches where everyone wasn't kitted out to their eyeballs (I know, it does happen occasionally :eek: )!! Or you spent the whole match cloaked!

Because I've gone against someone in their tidy whities, laughed at their pitiful DPS as my shields record little 1 & 2 hits, got bored after 15 mins of them attempting to break my shields ( Grabbed a coffee, smoke, went to the shop in this time ).. and proceeded to one volley them into a nice ball of warp core breach-i-ness.

So, once your hour is up & you're allowed back out of the corner, you may try again.. Properly this time :cool:

**edited bit**

And no cheating this time - Go in a proper Assault or C&H Map.

**edited bit no.2 **

There is no reason you said the things you did. Because you don't understand how accessible they are to anyone in the game. So you thought you had to eliminate them from the test.

Educate yourself a little bit before you post. Take the time to create a structured argument based on facts. Don't just spew unrelated bits and think that counts as anything other than clutter.

What you are suggesting has no merit. Accept that. If you're suggestion is that a new 50 should be competing in premades vs someone that has ground out the best of the gear you're not thinking very well.

Good luck to you! I won't be revisiting this thread as it is clear you're a troll, interested solely in propping up a poorly chosen position.

And of course it was in a proper PvP event. And of course I have proof. What? You thought I was someone like yourself that would come on the forum post some tripe about "stuff I said I did when I wasn't smoking" and leave? Hardly.

Hey enjoy that smoke!!
  • des101des101 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There is no reason you said the things you did. Because you don't understand how accessible they are to anyone in the game. So you thought you had to eliminate them from the test.

Educate yourself a little bit before you post. Take the time to create a structured argument based on facts. Don't just spew unrelated bits and think that counts as anything other than clutter.
    Without wanting to de-rail this thread (and apologies to those reading), You have completely missed the point.. again!!
    My original post (minus quotes)
    PvP in its current state ultimately comes down to who has the best gear/Ship/Boff/Doff/Rep reward passives combo.

Player skill is pretty much non existent in it's current form.
    What you are suggesting has no merit. Accept that. If you're suggestion is that a new 50 should be competing in premades vs someone that has ground out the best of the gear you're not thinking very well.

This part pretty much says it all about why people in this game DON'T PvP or ever want to PvP.
    YOU MUST Grind out the best gear to best competitive in PvP?? Maybe for PvE content but NOT for PvP!!!

That one comment of yours is proof that Skill is not the decisive factor of whether you can succeed or not in PvP but by the type of Gear/Doffs/Boffs/Passives, ect you have.

Until that attitude is changed and PvP is made into a more level playing field, player numbers will continue to stay low

Beta player - forum knows jack as to when I started

Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
    edited January 2014
    I read this blog and all that it says is "premade or gtfo"...
    This games pve content is solo friendly but the pvp dose not accomodate for people who Q alone. Who ever wrote that blog obviously dose not pvp in STO. There is no time to form a counter stratagy in a match with a 15 kill (especially if your random team mates don't speak your language!)count or you get wiped in the first encounter and can't recover because you did not bring 3 sets of doffed grav wells and scramble sensors to keep the other team all fubar for the entire match or spawn camped.
    For pvp in this game to become of more interest to the community the Q will have to be changed or a ranking/ladder system installed. Until then we should not even talk about it and get what little enjoyment we can for the time being.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=14035241#post14035241

This post tells you how the majority of the game community feels about pvp. Pretty much, to make the majority of the community a little happier and willing to pvp you will need to add a mode where only randomly paired teams exist.
    Well i dont pvp, why did i write this blog then? And what are the chances of a language barrier if your asking in the language that people are interested then? zero clearly. And actually when i pvp we always change strategies with my team when we need to like changing the boff slots and doffs when the person is out of combat when possible or changing from isolation to focus fire(this is my personal team btw). And as well like i said comebacks can happen if you know what your doing. So i dont know why your saying that stuff when i just unproved your point
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014

Glad you liked it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xtremenoob1xtremenoob1 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    All I know is I'm stoked to be able to race my Ford Taurus in Le Mans this year! According to the ongoing debate its only logical and fair that I have a chance.

Lulz. That's awesome! haha
    -X-/Pandas - Pheo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • summerrenobaumsummerrenobaum Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Gravametric torps are the worst addition to STO I ever seen. They completely sucked the fun out of PVP.
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Gravametric torps are the worst addition to STO I ever seen. They completely sucked the fun out of PVP.

I might still buy one in a couple days when I'm finished with Dyson Rep. If I hate it, I don't have to use it.

*shrug*
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!