What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guest Blog: Increasing Your Performance in PvP

Comments

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    halxiii wrote: »
    Because I want see DEV BLOG about PvP not GUEST BLOG :rolleyes:

That's a little vague. Do you want to see a Dev Blog discussing upcoming changes for PvP? About the removal of PvP? A Dev posting about this one time at PvP Boot Camp involving a replica of a Voth Bulwark and some Romulan Kool-Aid?

There will be a Dev Blog on PvP when there is a Dev Blog on PvP...no sooner. In the interim though, doing the Guest Blogs shows that Cryptic at least acknowledges on some level that PvP is in the game and shows some support from them for the community...

...it's not a "Everything You Guys Wanted" Dev Blog, but hey - personally, I'd say they're far from annoying.
  • starfleetownsallstarfleetownsall Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    vfpfyasko1 wrote: »
    As i have stated in the past and i will say it again, PvP in this game is pointless and their is no reason to even participate as you win nothing, nor do you gain nothing. If i want to PvP, ill do it in a game that offers it, like Eve which i do still play. The only PvP i enjoy is the ground, but i would like revamped to include a territory system of some sort.

Hey Cryptic, here is an idea why dont you try and make a PvP that matters and plays into the overall game. Perhaps a territory system, while keeping your poor man excuse for what you consider PvP.
    You probably missed my mention of STO frontlines which offers zen prizes and you can pick up a mission for pvp that givs you dilithium.
    Task Force Spectre, Legion of Spectre, and House of Spectre is recruiting!
    I watch the only good STO podcast STOked Radio
    Want to learn more about any of the above? Let me know!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • unclefester166unclefester166 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    PvP is a joke and always will be in STO.

I understand that there are tons of folks who enjoy spending the time to grind for good gear, optimize their build, and find team mates that work, etc. so they can explode other players for bragging rights. The problem is the ever changing landscape that comes with new ships releases, consoles, nerfs, bugs and exploits, patches and season updates. I gave up trying to stay in the loop on the nerf or OP dujour. It requires waaaay too much of a time investment to remain competitive IMO. I am far from being alone in this assertion and after almost 4 years of the same ole' PvP BS day in & day out, I will never PvP again, and I am much happier without this aspect of STO.

So enjoy what you want, but do not ever believe that PvP in STO is not a cluster*&^% with very little redeeming qualities, because that is exactly what it has become and most likely remain so for the foreseeable future.

TRIBBLE in TRIBBLE out.
    edited December 2013
    As i have stated in the past and i will say it again, PvP in this game is pointless and their is no reason to even participate as you win nothing, nor do you gain nothing. If i want to PvP, ill do it in a game that offers it, like Eve which i do still play. The only PvP i enjoy is the ground, but i would like revamped to include a territory system of some sort.

Hey Cryptic, here is an idea why dont you try and make a PvP that matters and plays into the overall game. Perhaps a territory system, while keeping your poor man excuse for what you consider PvP.

Here's a link for you: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fun
    Stuff 'n Issues (paraphrased)...

Which does, imho, unfortunately interfere with the fun aspect. :(
  • sirrandal1sirrandal1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    who spell checked it. Word or Libre Office?
    edited December 2013
    sirrandal1 wrote: »
    Why would you want to know that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • halxiiihalxiii Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    About the removal of PvP?
    Good idea !
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    lol @ actually using one of my terrible submissions

Good blog post though :)
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
    edited December 2013
    sirrandal1 wrote: »

Perhaps you'd care to point out any typos?
    halxiii wrote: »
    Good idea !

Perhaps you could write a Guest Blog on it? ;)
    lol @ actually using one of my terrible submissions

Good blog post though :)

Solar Wind is EVIL. They probably used it as a propaganda to try to suggest it is not. :P
  • vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You probably missed my mention of STO frontlines which offers zen prizes and you can pick up a mission for pvp that givs you dilithium.

Again NO purpose and who cares about zen prizes or dill, that provides nothing to the overall game as whole. This shouldn't even be considered PvP, because you surprise anyone that might have a lower build on them, nor collect what they have left of the ship they are flying, again NO purpose, NO objective and NO endgame perhaps you should rewrite your blog to include perhaps a territory system, at least that would be something that provides an overall purpose. PvP in this game is a JOKE, get over yourselves, if you want to PvP, join me in a REAL game that provides PvP.
    PvP is a joke and always will be in STO.

So enjoy what you want, but do not ever believe that PvP in STO is not a cluster*&^% with very little redeeming qualities, because that is exactly what it has become and most likely remain so for the foreseeable future.

TRIBBLE in TRIBBLE out.

Nicely stated, they think that this is a REAL PvP when in fact isn't. LOLOLOLOL, that is what is funny about this article by this blog. We will never get anything close to a real PvP or anything like a territory system, instead they think they an can continue to give us more content with a new reputation system.
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Great article mate, and thanks for the mention of STO Frontlines. Much appreciated.

PvP requires practice and commitment. If you are fortunate to have that mindset, the enjoyment thereof is guaranteed.

However, PvP is not everyones cup of tea, and thats ok.

Reading through some of the comments by the community about what should be done with PvP is really unnecessary and very selfish.

Just because someone doesn't enjoy something and doesn't want to learn, doesn't justify demanding it be removed from people that do.
    edited December 2013
    Great article mate, and thanks for the mention of STO Frontlines. Much appreciated.

PvP requires practice and commitment. If you are fortunate to have that mindset, the enjoyment thereof is guaranteed.

However, PvP is not everyones cup of tea, and thats ok.

Reading through some of the comments about what should be done with PvP really is unnecessary.

Just because someone doesn't like something, doesn't justify removing it from people that do.

I didnt see anyone state to remove PvP, id like to see Cryptic to attempt to TRY and do something that would affect the overall game through PvP, like i have suggested to many others, some type territory system that plays into with the station systems. But that makes to much sense by that of Cryptic, instead they would rather give us pointless content and another Reputation.
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I didnt see anyone state to remove PvP, id like to see Cryptic to attempt to TRY and do something that would affect the overall game through PvP, like i have suggested to many others, some type territory system that plays into with the station systems. But that makes to much sense by that of Cryptic, instead they would rather give us pointless content and another Reputation.

Sorry, I admit. I read between the lines. But you would agree. The sentiment is there for some?
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    To some of those naysayers up in the blog here. Just gonna address something I saw.

PvP is a joke. Is it? Why exactly? Why is PvP a joke?

Is it because you dont win?

Or is it because it is too hard?

Or for the third most common reason...

Is it the trash talk?

I would really like some clarification on this matter, because in the circles I run PvP is no joke, is a dead serious team concept game, and is a heck of a lot of fun.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
    edited December 2013
    Again NO purpose and who cares about zen prizes or dill, that provides nothing to the overall game as whole. This shouldn't even be considered PvP, because you surprise anyone that might have a lower build on them, nor collect what they have left of the ship they are flying, again NO purpose, NO objective and NO endgame perhaps you should rewrite your blog to include perhaps a territory system, at least that would be something that provides an overall purpose. PvP in this game is a JOKE, get over yourselves, if you want to PvP, join me in a REAL game that provides PvP.

Perhaps it would further the discussion were you to offer additional information on what you consider to be a purpose for PvP. I mean, you've mentioned EVE - which is a pseudo sandbox game. It's not going to be the same as your standard themepark game, such as STO.

If you're going to rail about PvP having no purpose in a game such as this, well - then you should equally rail about PvE having no purpose in the game either.

Thousands of people have rescued the Princess before you - thousands of people will rescue the Princess after you.

It's the nature of the type of game...the PvP fits the game.

Definitely a curious complaint from you on something so obvious...
    Nicely stated, they think that this is a REAL PvP when in fact isn't. LOLOLOLOL, that is what is funny about this article by this blog. We will never get anything close to a real PvP or anything like a territory system, instead they think they an can continue to give us more content with a new reputation system.

Did you ever play Shadowbane? EVE is carebear by comparison...just saying, you know - if you want to break out what's real PvP and not.
    To some of those naysayers up in the blog here. Just gonna address something I saw.

Is it the trash talk?

I would really like some clarification on this matter, because in the circles I run PvP is no joke, is a dead serious team concept game, and is a heck of a lot of fun.

It doesn't fit their premise of what PvP should be for some. Heck, I've made more than my fair share of comments on the PvP in STO being casual. Why not? STO is a casual game...the PvP should be casual. Sure, folks can try to be as hardcore about it as they want, but that's something they're adding to it...inherently, STO is a casual game with a pretty low entry bar so anybody can get in there and have some fun blasting the bad guys.

Where I'd just make the comment and previously go on enjoying that casual PvP for what it is, there are some folks out there that must rage about it not being a case of if you accidentally type the wrong password while logging in - your account is deleted...hardcore, brah...hardcore!

/cough

/lol

;)
    edited December 2013
    Sorry, I admit. I read between the lines. But you would agree. The sentiment is there for some?

Oh iam sure it is, i think if Cryptic could do something they should revamp the entire PvP system that includes something that effects the overall game as whole. Example, i like ground PvP, but id like it to be included in some type of overall system that plays into fleets, groups whatever it might be to improve the game overall. I dont want to see them get rid of it, to be frank, iam bored and i leave at months at time to come back to the same old same old. Cryptic has an opportunity to do something that would attract people back to this game in droves, but i suspect that wont happen. Many people in the last few years have offered such ideas in well detailed information and Cryptic has done nothing about it, mainly the excuse is the "Engine" cant handle it, well that only means they have programmers that are limited or perhaps they should upgrade the engine if that is the case.
  • wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    A lot of people are actually being put off PvP because as has already been mentioned in this thread, it is a lot of expense for little return. However another reason exists as to why as well.

The PvP queues are dead, it can take an age for one to pop, and when it does, chances are you are about to face a pre-made team who will just stomp you into the ground in very rapid succession. Waiting a very long time just to get your preverbials handed to you over and over isn't actually a lot of fun for some people. Sometimes however you do get a good pug team and can hang in there.

The other area is Ker'rat, usually this just turns into a large group taking out one ship after another (gang bang) and leaving not much room to fight back, again this is not really fun for a lot of people. I used to enjoy Ker'rat myself but now just pop in, grab my daily (When it's available once a month) and leave.

The fleet I left a little while back used to hold regular PvP matches and would rotate players around the teams so usually by the end of the night everyone was on a winning team at some point and with the fleet you could always get some advice and instruction.

Now as good as General's advice is, and other threads and advice from people a lot of it is now just going to waste simply because PvP in STO is dying. The game itself needs fixing in that area and badly. We have been promised this many many times but once again, nothing ever comes of those promises. All the good advice is essentially meaningless in a dying and more often then not extremely one sided part of the game...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just to give my two quick-cents.

Honestly, it's been said many a time you don't really lose or gain anything in PvP in this game, and that is completely true, you really don't. Losing a match loses you nothing except maybe on your ego, especially if the other team are asses about it.

But I also feel that doesn't put as much of a barrier on it as well. I mean, you have no worries about losing anything, not gonna lose your ship, not gonna lose your gear, or characters, or anything else.

I'm not saying that it makes it easy to get into PvP in this game still, but unlike other games such as Eve, you cannot lose what you have worked for if you die.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • brandonflbrandonfl Member Posts: 892
    edited December 2013
    Dev-Tracker strikes again, lol.
    LOLSTO
    edited December 2013
    wolfpacknz wrote: »
    The PvP queues are dead, it can take an age for one to pop, and when it does, chances are you are about to face a pre-made team who will just stomp you into the ground in very rapid succession. Waiting a very long time just to get your preverbials handed to you over and over isn't actually a lot of fun for some people. Sometimes however you do get a good pug team and can hang in there.

It's one of the reasons some of us had suggested they RvB the queues instead of maintaining the KvK, KvF, FvF. The wait for the queues can be tedious on a Fed - the wait for the queues is often beyond ludicrous on a KDF.
    wolfpacknz wrote: »
    The other area is Ker'rat, usually this just turns into a large group taking out one ship after another (gang bang) and leaving not much room to fight back, again this is not really fun for a lot of people. I used to enjoy Ker'rat myself but now just pop in, grab my daily (When it's available once a month) and leave.

There used to be a more frequent back and forth...used to be the joke about being camped, eh? Well, wait 10-15 minutes. The issue of having two zones running simultaneously while one side is massively outnumbered in both has long been a problem...which appears to have gotten worse.

I'm surprised they don't do some sort of restart rebalancing thing, eh? Group up instances, queue the restarts, rebalance the populations on the restarts...
    brandonfl wrote: »
    Dev-Tracker strikes again, lol.

When a Dev actually posts in the PvP Forums...it's usually good for hours of entertainment, eh? The PvP Guest Blogs...tend to be more heavily moderated. I'm guessing with it being the holiday season though...it's just like how wild things get on the weekend.
    edited December 2013

Is it the trash talk?

Over all to your question, NO purpose and it is rather predictable by you to come out to defend that which has NO purpose, which plays nothing into the overall game. You have suggested NOTHING in the way to expand that than keeping to that of the same old that we currently have. It has nothing to do with your assumptions, but again you have provided NO ideas on what could be done to improve the overall PvP experience. Typical, all talk on a guess blog, with no substance to back it up with.
    Perhaps it would further the discussion were you to offer additional information on what you consider to be a purpose for PvP. I mean, you've mentioned EVE - which is a pseudo sandbox game. It's not going to be the same as your standard themepark game, such as STO.

If you're going to rail about PvP having no purpose in a game such as this, well - then you should equally rail about PvE having no purpose in the game either.

Thousands of people have rescued the Princess before you - thousands of people will rescue the Princess after you.

It's the nature of the type of game...the PvP fits the game.

Definitely a curious complaint from you on something so obvious...

Did you ever play Shadowbane? EVE is carebear by comparison...just saying, you know - if you want to break out what's real PvP and not.

Well then, why dont you offer up any solutions to the issue at hand when it come to a balanced approach on PvP for Cryptic if you are so famaliar with that of PvP in other games? From where iam reading, i dont see that. Nothing you have said suggests anything of the sorts, at least others have suggested a better experience that might or could give the player a balance approach on PvP or in the overall game itself. I know that we cant bring in Eve like, nor would i want that, i suggest it because that is for hardcore players just as you stated with the other. I ASK WHERE IS YOUR PLAN to introduce something to Cryptic if you have that ear? At least i have offered something, while many others have as well and Cryptic has DONE NOTHING as usual.
  • blahhdreyblahhdrey Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for taking the time to write something up about the part of the game that I enjoy most. ;) Anything that sheds a little light on PvP is welcome in my book, especially with all the 'bad press' PvP gets on these forums, often by people with maybe 3-4 matches worth of experience.
    dEpN3nB.png?1
    edited December 2013
    Well then, why dont you offer up any solutions to the issue at hand when it come to a balanced approach on PvP for Cryptic if you are so famaliar with that of PvP in other games? From where iam reading, i dont see that. Nothing you have said suggests anything of the sorts, at least others have suggested a better experience that might or could give the player a balance approach on PvP or in the overall game itself. I know that we cant bring in Eve like, nor would i want that, i suggest it because that is for hardcore players just as you stated with the other. I ASK WHERE IS YOUR PLAN to introduce something to Cryptic if you have that ear? At least i have offered something, while many others have as well and Cryptic has DONE NOTHING as usual.

Take a deep breath, eh? I mean, c'mon - read what you just said, hrmmm...?
    I know that we cant bring in Eve like, nor would i want that
    At least i have offered something

You've offered something you do not want...

...less rage - more sense, perhaps?
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    As i have stated in the past and i will say it again, PvP in this game is pointless and their is no reason to even participate as you win nothing, nor do you gain anything.

This may as well have been the guest blog, it's about as accurate as it gets when we're talking PvP in STO.

To the writer; kudos for writing a blog, but honestly? I read it and it did nothing for me, because - at the end of the day - PvP is pointless.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • blahhdreyblahhdrey Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    This may as well have been the guest blog, it's about as accurate as it gets when we're talking PvP in STO.

To the writer; kudos for writing a blog, but honestly? I read it and it did nothing for me, because - at the end of the day - PvP is pointless.

It's hardly pointless if it provides entertainment to any portion of the player base, which it clearly does. You could just as easily say that grinding to improve your grinding ability is pointless, but if people find it fun (and they clearly do) then it's not pointless.
    dEpN3nB.png?1
    edited December 2013
    blahhdrey wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to write something up about the part of the game that I enjoy most. ;) Anything that sheds a little light on PvP is welcome in my book, especially with all the 'bad press' PvP gets on these forums, often by people with maybe 3-4 matches worth of experience.
    Glad you liked it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    You've offered something you do not want...

Why is that? Would that be such a turn off to you people that offer Nothing in regards to something that would play into the overall game itself? We have nothing from you to propose, any ideas as to how a revamp should be? We are waiting for the wisdom of your ideas?
    edited December 2013
    Here's something great about the following...
    johngazman wrote: »
    it did nothing for me, because - at the end of the day - PvP is pointless.

...it's a personal opinion. Nobody can really argue with you, that you find PvP to be pointless. You're definitely entitled to that opinion and even to share that opinion.

However, in the phrasing you used - it can sometimes come off (whether said by you or by others) - as PvP is pointless in general. That's getting into an area of speaking for folks other than yourself...which you just can't do.

Some may read what you said there as just being your opinion - so they didn't give it a second thought. Some may read what you said there as you trying to speak in general - and well, that's where many such threads end up derailed, eh?

PvP in STO is currently pointless for me. I used to have fun, but there are so many broken things now - so many things where Cryptic has catered to the most extremely casual PvE players - and just well, there's just far too many [REDACTED EXPLETIVES] in the queues for it to be fun anymore.

I'm not going to say it's pointless though, not in general, because I know there are folks that still enjoy it.

Pointless for me? Check!
    Pointless in general? Can't say that...

edit: Having a smoke and thinking about that part in Orange, I can't even really say that. Not honestly, eh? It's very narrow-minded. Stepping back and looking at it, even though I currently choose not to participate in PVP - as an aspect of the game, as part of the reason that folks play - it's also going to be a potential source of revenue from those players. Revenue helps the development of the game...so even there, PvP - even if I'm not doing it - still has a point for me and is not pointless.
  • brandonflbrandonfl Member Posts: 892
    edited December 2013
    Why is that? Would that be such a turn off to you people that offer Nothing in regards to something that would play into the overall game itself? I have nothing from you to propose any ideas as to how a revamp should be? We are waiting for the wisdom of your ideas?

Go searching through the PvP Forums, you'll see many, many suggestions for things like you're talking about (many from the person you are arguing with). Since you've followed the dev-tracker here, I'm guessing you don't know any of that though and are just talking out of your posterior. We all want PvP to have more meaning in game, but for now we take it at face value and have fun. That's the point of gaming right? If it's not fun for you, don't play it, but there is no reason to come into these forums and tell us where we fail.

edit: didn't realized thread had been moved, carry on, nothing to see here.
    LOLSTO
    edited December 2013
    Why is that? Would that be such a turn off to you people that offer Nothing in regards to something that would play into the overall game itself? We have nothing from you to propose, any ideas as to how a revamp should be? We are waiting for the wisdom of your ideas?

I'm guessing you missed the RvB thing? I'm guessing you missed the population rebalancing in Ker'rat?

Like I said, perhaps you may want to take a deep breath, eh? Think happy thoughts? Let whatever has caused you to rage...to let that subside?