test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guest Blog: Increasing Your Performance in PvP

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited January 2014 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Community Member General has written a Guest Blog about a set of recommendations that can help players become better teammates while in matches.

Link to the blog.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• starfleetownsallstarfleetownsall Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Like i said any questions can come to a pm to me or ingame to this name, or reply to this forum thread thanks!
    Task Force Spectre, Legion of Spectre, and House of Spectre is recruiting!
    I watch the only good STO podcast STOked Radio
    Want to learn more about any of the above? Let me know!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    As far as I know, it is @P_Sutherland, not @Sutherland.

Other then that, I stopped reading the bolg, as it is useless for me, as I don'ty PVP, as it takes to much investment (time EC and Zen) for little gain. (Blown up extremely quickly, takes along time to start queues, and most people are rude.)

Becuase of that, I see no reason to read this blog.
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited December 2013
    As far as I know, it is @P_Sutherland, not @Sutherland.

Refresh :) Was updated a few min ago.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited December 2013
    When I started writing the post, it hadn't been updated yet.

• hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Summary of what I imagine this will be:

Grind up a 500,000,000 EC budget for consoles and duty officers, spend real cash on c-store/lockbox ships, and resign yourself to the constraints of an "approved," career-specific, cookie-cutter build.

This narrow-thinking kind of "advice" makes for a bland, homogenous player base.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
    edited December 2013
    hanover2 wrote: »

Grind up a 500,000,000 EC budget for consoles and duty officers, spend real cash on c-store/lockbox ships, and resign yourself to the constraints of an "approved," career-specific, cookie-cutter build.

This narrow-thinking kind of "advice" makes for a bland, homogenous player base.

There isn't many times I have agreeed with you, but this time I completely agree. In PVP, there is a set of builds, (MaxDPS, Heal, A2B, Alpha, Drain and Tank) and no vairation on them.

• sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would rather just not come back to pvp, and give it a wide birth.

If the devs want pvp to be serious, they have to at least put some effort into it first.

Remove the paygate by banning all lockbox and lobi store items, make new maps and game modes etc, then you can promote it as a worthy part of the game to get into...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    No Fear Here of PvP

Excellent blog.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
    edited December 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    No Fear Here of PvP

Excellent blog.
    Thnx a lot thats what i like to hear!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Excellent blog and thanks for taking the time to to create it!

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
    edited December 2013
    Excellent blog and thanks for taking the time to to create it!
    No problem glad you liked it!:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    So 4 posts criticising the blog and PVP in 20 minutes, but you can answer a positive post in less then a minute?

edited December 2013
    So 4 posts criticising the blog and PVP in 20 minutes, but you can answer a positive post in less then a minute?
    Because im not doing anything else right now and responding where i can and refreshing pages;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think if they could add something similar to the legends PVP in DCUO it might help bring some more players in. It would at least help teach some of the basic mechanics.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    hanover2 wrote: »

Tsk, tsk...

That being said, mind you - it wasn't quite what I expected even after the bit about it not being what you imagined it would be either...

...it's more of a "Premade PvP Primer - It's More Than Just Numbers".

Though, had that been the title - I (and likely at least a handful of others) probably wouldn't have read it.

Can't blame him...constructive criticism is one thing...outright negativity looking for attention on the other hand? Why bother bothering?
  • blessedladyboyblessedladyboy Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Great blog, nice to see pvp get some attention!

I urge anyone to give pvp a go, its a great community. My kdf is running mk11 blue/purple accx2/accx3 (all cheap on EC) with all blue doffs, the free hegtha bop with dyson rep gear and I do fine and most of all have FUN!
    edited December 2013
    Though, had that been the title - I (and likely at least a handful of others) probably wouldn't have read it.
    I tried to keep the title simple and i admit it was pretty hard to make one up
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xericorxericor Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I love PvP games. I play many genres from team games like World of Tanks, through to fps like Halo to grandeur fps like Planetside2. Real time strategy like StarCraft 2, 3rd person games like War of the Roses. And one thing is clear...

To have good PvP, skill based pvp, you need the playing field LEVEL.

STO is not good pvp.
    From multiple ship systems, to several different Bridge Officers and skills, there is far too much 'power creep'. If you do not have these features maxed out, you are at a clear and distinct disadvantage.
  • halxiiihalxiii Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Guest Blogs about PvP are annoying.....SHOW US DEV BLOG....PVP season.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Is that too fast or too slow, how does PvE want his repsonse time nerfed?

Wow, players complain about the PvP attitude in the ques but they dont hold a candle to the pve'ers in the forums.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
    edited December 2013
    halxiii wrote: »
    Guest Blogs about PvP are annoying.....SHOW US DEV BLOG....PVP season.
    How are they annoying?:confused:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gemetzelgemetzel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Great blog post and a good overview of how PvP works.

I rarely jump into a PvP match but I can see the potential in the game for this play mode. I find that PvP is really great with no bells or whistles on the ships. Just the default items they come with outta drydock and no flashy consoles. Makes the fights more about using just your captain abilities with your Boffs and skill.

Having a few movie or episode themed space pvp map would be great fun. Having more objective based ground combat maps would be great too. Ground PvP is always more intense.
  • halxiiihalxiii Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    How are they annoying?:confused:
    Because I want see DEV BLOG about PvP not GUEST BLOG :rolleyes:
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There was a PvP article "new feed", from the launcher, here's my main thought about it:

I don't PvP much in this game, but I think this is a decent article. The only part I would "modify", is the part about "rage". How I would put it is thus:
    Save your rage for the opposing team. By this, I mean, let it fuel your attacks. Or if you're not a "very damaging part of the team", let it fuel your efforts at crowd control or healing, thus foiling the efforts of your opposers. However, control your rage, don't let it control you.
    However, at the end of the the match, let it go, and return to "normal" state of mind, ie, remember that this is a game, and first and foremost, people should be here to enjoy themselves. No one likes playing against sore winners/sore losers. Win with honour, and lose with grace.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I tried to keep the title simple and i admit it was pretty hard to make one up

No worries - there are aspects that apply regardless. Titles can be a real PITA.

I'm like an ex-smoker when it comes to PvP at the moment, so I'm going to have some of that "rage" going for me unfortunately.

To be fair, it is a pretty damn good blog on those things often left out as everybody's playing spreadsheet warriors and planning the imminent demise of their prey. Some of it does get brought up every now and again, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the bit about health - cause physical, mental, and emotional health can play a major role in what transpires.

Having a bad day - just like it may be toxic to whatever other activity one enjoys, the same is likely to take place with PvP. In turn, that can feed upon itself - causing greater frustration, anxiety, etc, etc, etc - which in turn can adversely affect physical, mental, and emotional health further.

It was just a case that STO is a very casual game - and - organization isn't so casual...oh, no doubt organizing in various manners as laid out in the blog will definitely/likely result in an increase in performance; it's just not going to be a reality for everybody out there looking to get in some pew from time to time...

...it's no biggie, really, like I said - I'm like one of those pesky ex-smokers when it comes to PvP.
    edited December 2013
    No worries - there are aspects that apply regardless. Titles can be a real PITA.

I'm like an ex-smoker when it comes to PvP at the moment, so I'm going to have some of that "rage" going for me unfortunately.

To be fair, it is a pretty damn good blog on those things often left out as everybody's playing spreadsheet warriors and planning the imminent demise of their prey. Some of it does get brought up every now and again, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the bit about health - cause physical, mental, and emotional health can play a major role in what transpires.

Having a bad day - just like it may be toxic to whatever other activity one enjoys, the same is likely to take place with PvP. In turn, that can feed upon itself - causing greater frustration, anxiety, etc, etc, etc - which in turn can adversely affect physical, mental, and emotional health further.

It was just a case that STO is a very casual game - and - organization isn't so casual...oh, no doubt organizing in various manners as laid out in the blog will definitely/likely result in an increase in performance; it's just not going to be a reality for everybody out there looking to get in some pew from time to time...

...it's no biggie, really, like I said - I'm like one of those pesky ex-smokers when it comes to PvP.
    Thats why i put the health part in there
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ahilles7ahilles7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    halxiii wrote: »
    Because I want see DEV BLOG about PvP not GUEST BLOG :rolleyes:

What this guy just said,more blogs created by Devs and their initiative to revamp PVP.
    More PVP maps,modes,etc.

Dream......Season 9..PVP season.:)
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You know where I've derived the most PvP enjoyment recently? As a newly-minted officer, flying a T1 ship in Ker'rat. No cheesy spam everywhere, no pay to win consoles, no 50k EC DOFFs, no fleet gear, nothing. Just a few basic BOFF abilities, whatever gear you've picked up as loot drops, and your piloting skills. Beautiful. :o
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    As i have stated in the past and i will say it again, PvP in this game is pointless and their is no reason to even participate as you win nothing, nor do you gain nothing. If i want to PvP, ill do it in a game that offers it, like Eve which i do still play.

Hey Cryptic, here is an idea why dont you try and make a PvP that matters and plays into the overall game. Perhaps a territory system. That which i have suggested and many others have suggested, makes why too much sense, instead they will offer another reputation system.
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Great Blog! I can't wait for a PvP rep to come out and maybe some of the fear and complaining will go away after seeing it's not so bad. I haven't done any pug pvp in awhile but look forward to Cryptic putting some more effort into making it an integrated part of the game. It's really the missing MMO piece in this game. I used to use PvP as way to see if I need to improve my build so dying was a good thing for me and a learning experience.

PvE doesn't offer this really as anything wins in PvE including using gear from lower ranks.
    If not for the challenge of PvP, there really is no reason to bother grinding out rep and fleet holdings for gear as it is unnecessary to complete PvE content easily. I like PvE just as much and its what I play the most but it needs to be more challenging if it is to stand alone without PvP to challenge us and offer reasons to need better ships and gear.

Great job and it wouldn't matter if everyone had to fly standard ships with common gear in PvP those complainers would find some other reason to hate PvP. There are many of us out there who love PvE but also want diverse and rewarding PvP too.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010