test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PUGs vs Premades, what's the real issue?

Comments

• hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    "But...but...coordinating sci spam with my team over voice chat does take skills. It's an art form. I'm practically a wizard."

:rolleyes:
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • pokersmith1pokersmith1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There are other games which cater perfectly to the need of some people to kirk/rambo it up. I have played such games myself. It is a lot of fun. The adrenaline rush is unbelievable. However, none of those games claimed to be an MMORPG.
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited December 2013
    There are other games which cater perfectly to the need of some people to kirk/rambo it up. I have played such games myself. It is a lot of fun. The adrenaline rush is unbelievable. However, none of those games claimed to be an MMORPG.

Battlefield bad company 2 springs to mind. A good player can make a team win and turn the tides. A good squad will dominate the game.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
    edited December 2013
    bpharma wrote: »
    Battlefield bad company 2 springs to mind. A good player can make a team win and turn the tides. A good squad will dominate the game.

Pass popcorn :P
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    All premades should be disallowed from regular queues. I doubt there are enough premades to sustain their own queues but I would give it to them anyways. Fun factor would go way up without a whole team of people coordinating cheese spam on pugs.

Then maybe people could pick up this little thing I call "skills".

The problem Macronius is defining who is really a premade. Example, when you flew with and against us yesterday that wasnt really a premade team. That was us just testing setups and queuing together.

It was only 3 of us iirc. Does that constitute a premade in your view?
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • g0h4n4g0h4n4 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I queued with Naz only one time and a HOBO on the other team accused us of being a Premade andbringing 10 healers and subsequently raged quit lolz, was literlly roflmao for quite sometime I almost Lolzquit.
    Now found frequenting MWO short term and then Star Citizen long term. Raged Quit PVP long ago
    - Gohan (House of Beautiful /Sad Pandas)
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

You just said you can't "Kirk" in a Star Trek game.

You are Horror right? You seem to have fun pugging last I saw you in game.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • elkantar1981elkantar1981 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Guys really, when you consider a group of people who queue together with half decent setup as premade, thats not even unfair vs pugs, atleast in the old days many got beaten by pugs who where randomized. I even remember tsi a setup beaten by 1 pug group.

The new balance just favours different setups, and the problem of so called pugs is not to be a pug or dont do a premade its more that your lineup is random, also what people will fly next to you.

Queues for premade vs premades i would be in for it, but what was a few days ago, a fs and panda premade asked for others for challenge and just 1 guy from opvp put a group up and did, while the rest even 2 premades in the queues went silent.

So when it just comes for win and kills, dont call yourself pro/elite or good pvper, its about competition but also about challenge and experience, develop new tactics, setups and now lineups and doff layouts maybe uni consoles (as long as there are defensive ones or space porters, the "cheese" ones are in my eyes allowed too). But its also about learning and get better. Yep with the reputation system and the gear gap its challenging, and sad that in pvp gear is like 40% of the outcome of dps vs heal/selfheal and dps vs dps. But common dudes, as if you cant get your balls up and your noses out of your things you sit on and drop the epenis attitude and do some nice good stuff with or without premade. And what about the "boot" camp i dont see many of us helping them :P But well some of us arent as insane as trinity is right ^^
    edited December 2013
    marc8219 wrote: »
    You just said you can't "Kirk" in a Star Trek game.

You are Horror right? You seem to have fun pugging last I saw you in game.

Yes, h0rr0r is one of my toons. And coming from a PvE fleet, I pug 99% of time. And when faced with a premade, I neither whine nor ragequit. And I didn't say you can't "Kirk" in a Star Trek game. I just said a group of "Kirks" should not expect to win against a well coordinated premade.
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
    edited December 2013
    Yes, h0rr0r is one of my toons. And coming from a PvE fleet, I pug 99% of time. And when faced with a premade, I neither whine nor ragequit. And I didn't say you can't "Kirk" in a Star Trek game. I just said a group of "Kirks" should not expect to win against a well coordinated premade.

As a member of said fleet I can also say he doesn't even whine to us about it. Neither do our other PvPers that enter the queues. We don't tolerate bad behaviour in PvP even if we don't do it much, always throw up the gg.

Looks like our fleet may be getting a premade together, so he may not be queuing alone soon =)

edited December 2013
    Looks like our fleet may be getting a premade together, so he may not be queuing alone soon =)

But.... it's not even my birthday!!!!!! :P
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
  • twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    As a member of said fleet I can also say he doesn't even whine to us about it. Neither do our other PvPers that enter the queues. We don't tolerate bad behaviour in PvP even if we don't do it much, always throw up the gg.

Oh, are we? Awesome. Calling reserve position - can't really predict my online times :p

And it's true, I think we tend to stick to fair play, refraining from both whining and cheese, generally. We do occasionally try to get some team work going in pug games, which I suppose is OP. Sorry.
    edited December 2013
    twam wrote: »
    And it's true, I think we tend to stick to fair play, refraining from both whining and cheese, generally. We do occasionally try to get some team work going in pug games, which I suppose is OP. Sorry.

Just saying, one or two new people and older members want to get into PvP and both Horror, Zija and yourself do it so chances are likely we might have a semi team going every now and then.

No teamwork though, that falls under the cheese category...

edited December 2013
    Just saying, one or two new people and older members want to get into PvP and both Horror, Zija and yourself do it so chances are likely we might have a semi team going every now and then.

No teamwork though, that falls under the cheese category...

Yeah well, it looks like me, twam, zija have different pvp cycles. Even when Reuben used to login regularly, he used to have his own cycles of PvPs. Different timezones FTW.
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
  • aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Could slways fold a PvP toon or two into an existing fleet. None i'm aware of ask for pure lotalty. Besides, with PvP being what it is, players that PvP or even want to try it are very very valuable. Don't sell yourselves needlesssly short!

And at the end of the day, if you learn a few things with a larger group of people and then go back off to your existing fleet to be competitive then that's one more good fleet in PvP that wasn't there before.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • falkor2010falkor2010 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    genada wrote: »
    This is all pure none sense, people are asking for two different ques. One for teams, one for people pugs. So that would in no way prevent people from teaming up and playing other teams. If you can not find other teams to play, that's too bad but that doesn't mean others should be asked to be curbstomped so you have someone to play.

People play the way this wish to play it not the way you wish. There's people that want to take whatever ship they want to play. There is people that god forbid want to play a eng in pvp. Pre mades have a advantage over pugs that are going in with a random group.

Your demands amount to demanding that you have the right to pug stomp people because you enjoy pug stomping people. I am sorry if your fragile ego wouldn't be able to withstand fighting other groups that could put up a fair fight but that's not a really good reason to demand Cryptic not change things so you have pugs to stomp.

:D Exactly.

The only ones opposing splitting the queues into a pug queue and a premade queue are the premades. They don't care about anyone else's enjoyment of PVP, they just want to make sure they can still get their egos stroked off every night. Big deal premades, you use Team Speak to coordinate back to back SNBs on your 3 sci, 2 tac teams; now go play other coordinated teams only -- sorry you won't win every match, or sorry your premade queue may be a bit empty, but why should the rest of the game care about you? The rest of us will be in the pug queue having a bunch of fun without you-- it makes you scared that most people will NOT put up with your bulls***t if they have a choice not to.
  • hurleybirdhurleybird Member Posts: 909
    edited December 2013
    falkor2010 wrote: »
    The only ones opposing splitting the queues into a pug queue and a premade queue are the premades.

Given that this is an MMO, PvP is a team game, and all but the most strident loners want the ability to play with a friend or two... would you accept the more likely scenario of one queue that limits teams to three people, and another that only accepts five man teams? Even if the five man queue gave appreciably better rewards and incentives?

A pure pug (as in, no teaming at all) queue in an MMO just isn't likely to happen, as it runs contrary to the essence of the genre. Maybe someone can find an exception, but most games with separate queues for premades don't eliminate teaming altogether in the primary queue.
    edited December 2013
    hurleybird wrote: »
    Given that this is an MMO, PvP is a team game, and all but the most strident loners want the ability to play with a friend or two

I disagree or maybe I am reading you wrong.

Some people don't have X hours per night or on a set schedule to hop on Team Speak with a bunch of people they may or may not know in real life. Not to be insulting but some people lead busy lives but still enjoy STO and PVP as endgame content. Some people never put a video game before their real life. You could call them casuals but some are quite good too. These types of people should be able to hop onto STO and queue into the PUG PVP queue at any time with a fairly good chance they'll enjoy a few decent matches with what little gaming time they have.
    ... would you accept the more likely scenario of one queue that limits teams to three people, and another that only accepts five man teams? Even if the five man queue gave appreciably better rewards and incentives?

If you queue with 3/4/5 then one option is that the premade queue only matches you with another group of 3/4/5. But I'll leave it to you team and premade people to sort out how you want your premade queue to work.
  • mancommancom Member Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    How big is the pool of players who want to participate in totally random pug pvp?

Since it's unlikely that Cryptic will make any changes in the short term, couldn't these players in the mean time set up a chat channel where people just x up for random private 5v5s? And no, I'm not talking about TD since that usually requires quite some time setting up, balancing and getting players on vent; just random 5v5s with the first 10 to x up and teams decided by whatever order the game decides to put them in. That should be fairly low maintenance and if the player pool is as big as the pure pug queue advocates make it out to be, it shouldn't be difficult to get this going if 2 or 3 players decide to get this started and act as focal points and start the private challenges. Unless of course even joining a chat channel and putting an occasional x in is too much organisation for these pure pug players. Such channels seem to work for PVE content, why not make it happen for PVP?
    edited December 2013
    mancom wrote: »
    How big is the pool of players who want to participate in totally random pug pvp?

Since it's unlikely that Cryptic will make any changes in the short term, couldn't these players in the mean time set up a chat channel where people just x up for random private 5v5s? And no, I'm not talking about TD since that usually requires quite some time setting up, balancing and getting players on vent; just random 5v5s with the first 10 to x up and teams decided by whatever order the game decides to put them in. That should be fairly low maintenance and if the player pool is as big as the pure pug queue advocates make it out to be, it shouldn't be difficult to get this going if 2 or 3 players decide to get this started and act as focal points and start the private challenges. Unless of course even joining a chat channel and putting an occasional x in is too much organisation for these pure pug players. Such channels seem to work for PVE content, why not make it happen for PVP?

But didn't you hear? People play the game at weird times and have weird problems that totally prevents them from teaming up with other peoples in a mmorpg. It's much better and simpler to kirk it up. Weirdly enough, these people with weird timings and weird problems seem to be the majority of the pugs here, when one would think they would be the outliers. Oh well, I guess everything is possible.
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
    edited December 2013
    I disagree or maybe I am reading you wrong.

Some people don't have X hours per night or on a set schedule to hop on Team Speak with a bunch of people they may or may not know in real life.

You are reading me wrong. Playing with one or two friends isn't the same as having a full team of five on voice comms. When I first started playing I befriended players I met in the game, and we teamed up without getting onto Vent or TS.
    If you queue with 3/4/5 then one option is that the premade queue only matches you with another group of 3/4/5. But I'll leave it to you team and premade people to sort out how you want your premade queue to work.

You want a pure pug queue, a 3v3 queue, a 4v4 queue, and a 5v5 queue? Surely you must realize how utterly infeasible that would be?

Most players don't have a full premade, but most aren't complete loners -- despite what the vocal minority of complete loners like to think. This is, after all, an MMO. The funny thing is that if I describe a premade queue with proper incentives and rewards, most premade types will say something like "Yeah, if that's how it's implemented I would be all for it!" Loner carebear types on the other hand, seem to be intolerant of the idea that any kind of teaming should take place whatsoever in their sandbox -- as you have just demonstrated. It's funny that your type tries to paint everyone else as greedy and intolerant, when the opposite is actually true.
  • mancommancom Member Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    When I first started playing I befriended players I met in the game, and we teamed up without getting onto Vent or TS.
    Maybe Cryptic should remove auto-teaming from the pvp maps?

I remember that back in the day one had to manually create the teams after entering the map. The advantage was that one got to keep the team after the match ended and when players met who worked well together, they would often stay teamed for a few matches. The current auto-teaming prevents this type of casual random teaming.
  • g0h4n4g0h4n4 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You are reading me wrong. Playing with one or two friends isn't the same as having a full team of five on voice comms. When I first started playing I befriended players I met in the game, and we teamed up without getting onto Vent or TS.

You want a pure pug queue, a 3v3 queue, a 4v4 queue, and a 5v5 queue? Surely you must realize how utterly infeasible that would be?

Most players don't have a full premade, but most aren't complete loners -- despite what the vocal minority of complete loners like to think. This is, after all, an MMO. The funny thing is that if I describe a premade queue with proper incentives and rewards, most premade types will say something like "Yeah, if that's how it's implemented I would be all for it!" Loner carebear types on the other hand, seem to be intolerant of the idea that any kind of teaming should take place whatsoever in their sandbox -- as you have just demonstrated. It's funny that your type tries to paint everyone else as greedy and intolerant, when the opposite is actually true.

Funny, teamed with up with only Naz the other day and we got accused of bringing a premade with 10 Healers and the lonely HOBO warped out lolz, couldn't believe my eyes
    Now found frequenting MWO short term and then Star Citizen long term. Raged Quit PVP long ago
    - Gohan (House of Beautiful /Sad Pandas)
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So how are those that randomly play at the same times of the days not going to end up seeing each other in the PuG ques enough times to not become the equivalent of a pugmade team by sheer happenstance when they meet up randomly?

With a pool of players limited by time to a certain size eventually those participating will start to click as a pugmade in the solo que. How does the random solo que protect the random never before pvped player from such? How could it?
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Im getting real tired of this mentality that the new players need to be coddled and so forth.

I wasnt.

Jf you arent competitive youve got no real reason to be PvPing anyway. Those that are will find the way to become so. We dont need to continue this ideaology that we need to water it down and make it easier for people.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Im getting real tired of this mentality that the new players need to be coddled and so forth.

I wasnt.

Jf you arent competitive youve got no real reason to be PvPing anyway. Those that are will find the way to become so. We dont need to continue this ideaology that we need to water it down and make it easier for people.

Different strokes for different folks.

~ Protect your environment, or it will become endangered. ~

Or just,

Throw the "kitchen-sink-and-then-some" at the new player, drive them off and see what's left to fish. Yeah, thats working great.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    edit: Never mind...
    edited December 2013
    Different strokes for different folks.

~ Protect your environment, or it will become endangered. ~

Or just,

Throw the "kitchen-sink-and-then-some" at the new player, drive them off and see what's left to fish. Yeah, thats working great.

Agreed. After reading the concerns of smaller groups of 2 and 3 all the way to 5 man premades I have changed my position on the issue I think we can do away with the idea of a 'Premade' only queue now.

A few simple changes should give everyone what they want...

* Remove FvK, FvF, KvK (Merge the Factions)
    More people, all queues pop faster, KDF PvPers get more matches.

* Keep existing queue rules for the 'Normal' queue. (Queue solo or any group size)
    No changes here; solo, 2 man, 3 man, 4 man, and 5 man queuing allowed.
    Nothing has changed here so no one has lost anything. No reasons to complain.

* Add a 'Random' queue (Can only queue solo here)
    Allows people who quickly want an all random/PUG match to have it.

People of all experience levels and playstyles now have a choice that should make them happier than before, the market can decide which queues pop more. Thoughts?
    edited December 2013
    * Remove FvK, FvF, KvK (Merge the Factions)
    More people, all queues pop faster, KDF PvPers get more matches.

Agreed. I'm not sure if Cryptic would want to flat out merge the factions, but a single queue that can spit out FvF, FvK, or KvK matches would be a great improvement.
    * Keep existing queue rules for the 'Normal' queue. (Queue solo or any group size)
    No changes here; solo, 2 man, 3 man, 4 man, and 5 man queuing allowed.
    Nothing has changed here so no one has lost anything. No reasons to complain.

* Add a 'Random' queue (Can only queue solo here)
    Allows people who quickly want an all random/PUG match to have it.

People of all experience levels and playstyles now have a choice that should make them happier than before, the market can decide which queues pop more. Thoughts?

Except that wouldn't make everyone happier than they were before. Here's the problem with your suggestion: two or three friends playing together are a lot closer in ability to a pure pug than they are to a premade, yet by splitting the queues in the way you are describing you're forcing those small groups to face a lot more premades than they had to in the old system. That's backwards.

A pure pug (no teaming whatsoever) queue doesn't make sense in a massively multiplayer game. By definition it would run contrary to the spirit of the genre. I'm all for a premade only queue that has appropriate incentives and rewards and a queue with team limits, but we shouldn't punish players who want to team up with a friend or two, nor should we go out of our way to appease the very lowest common denominator we can find.
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If you're competitive, why are you doing PvP in STO anyway? I mean, c'mon...

Human beings are competitive, well most life forms are really.

You can find human beings competing in any endeavor or game.

So there should really be no shock that people are competing here in STO.

Lady in mauve: "Lrn2play n00b."
    Lady in white: "STFU."