What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Winter Wonderland 2013 Feedback

Comments

• Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    But then again, I seriously doubt Cryptic is going to do something. They didn't fix it last year either. Who cares if people's fun gets ruined by such people. Bet they will say "well try the next race".
    How do you know it's an exploit instead of a perfectly legitimate method?
    I never used the word cheater..........though I sure did want to.
    Sorry. I apologize for putting words in your mouth.
    It's just a plain weakness in Cryptic's programming. I've seen Bunny hoppers in Ground PVP on Otha and you can point blank shoot them with a shotgun as a tactical with ambush and it won't do a single thing to them.
    Again, how do you know it's an exploit in the race? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with a bug in combat.
    So yeah, we got to wait for them to fix it. But you know, I don't think they will. They don't even care enough to fix bugs.
    How do you know it's a bug? You keep insisting it's wrong, but you're not demonstrating that it is.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »
    How do you know it's an exploit instead of a perfectly legitimate method?

Sorry. I apologize for putting words in your mouth.

Again, how do you know it's an exploit in the race? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with a bug in combat.

How do you know it's a bug? You keep insisting it's wrong, but you're not demonstrating that it is.

Well, how can you justify it's working as intended?

Like the PvP example, you saying that's supposed to be working with people getting minor damage as they bunny hop? You saying that you supposed to bunny hop on the ice? In the real world you end up on the ground if you did that.

But the only ones for sure that can say this is legitimate or not is the Devs.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    They fixed the lemming jump last year. :P Bunny hopping has worked since the FIRST winter event. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited December 2013
    The race is supposed to be a bunch of players sliding about on ice. I think it is obvious the devs intention was for sprinting and jogging while sliding about not jumping and rolling. I doubt they will "fix" it or make an alternate way to get tags.

Personaly I would like an ice skating race for epohh tags. Add some obstacles and a few ramps with the ice skating animations like on the lake. You get skates when you join the race and boots are disabled. The race to get the ship is enough slip and slide for an event, more variety is always better so Upohh race should be something different.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Eheheh... what they don't realize is that bunny hopping is only the first step in their transformation...

Where did you think epohh space bunnies came from, anyway?
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm not trying to. What I am saying is that first of all, there's no evidence it is a bug exploit. Second of all, the devs didn't take that feature out from last year. Aldo, the STO wiki even suggests it in the walkthrough. Not sure if the wiki is even official or not though...
    Like the PvP example, you saying that's supposed to be working with people getting minor damage as they bunny hop? You saying that you supposed to bunny hop on the ice? In the real world you end up on the ground if you did that.
    I don't think I can reliably judge this either. I mean crouching reduces ranged damage too. On the other hand, hopping reduces enemy accuracy if they're in manual aim mode(I think)

I can't really say here.
    I agree. We need an official word. But until then, I seriously doubt this is anything to worry about.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    They fixed the lemming jump last year. :P Bunny hopping has worked since the FIRST winter event. :P

Gotta admit, was funny seeing that on day 1.

But Bunny hopping wasn't an issue in year one, because......well you weren't competing against other players. The PvP race, is another ballgame. Moreso this year because of the lack of alternatives for players who do bad. So instead of getting 2 days of tags in 1 round, players have to do 6 consecutive races to earn that same amount.

Heck, I could even go on a tangent with those stupid flags in how people get screwed out of that too. People who honestly race and are in the lead, but slow picking up the flag, can end up in last place.

Yeah, that's fair. :rolleyes:

These are reasons why that race isn't popular. And in the year they had to fix it, they didn't even touch it. Cryptic is proving more and more that they really don't care about the community, only profit.
  • Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's just a plain weakness in Cryptic's programming. I've seen Bunny hoppers in Ground PVP on Otha and you can point blank shoot them with a shotgun as a tactical with ambush and it won't do a single thing to them.

So yeah, we got to wait for them to fix it. But you know, I don't think they will. They don't even care enough to fix bugs.
    I spend a significant portion of my time ingame running Ground PvP and I've never seen an "azurianstar" before. Do you go by another name?

The "bunny hopping" has nothing to do with the reduced damage. That damage reduction is called dodge chance. Dodge provides a percent chance to reduce incoming damage. When an attack is dodged, the damage is instantly cut in half before application to shield or damage resistances on the player. A player with 100% dodge has a 100% chance to halve all incoming attacks before resistances. Running grands a +50% speed boost and +75% dodge chance. The reason some player run forward while jumping is to prevent them from overshooting their intended target. However, weapons are disabled, unless they are repeatedly pressing the shift key in between shots. Even then, they do run into the exhaustion during red alert mechanic, which is why they always retreat after a short period.

However, hopping and rolling are not exploits. You only need to hop at specific points in the race to do well. Hoping repeatedly throughout the entire race will cause the player to lose to another using straight sprint on the straightaways. Branflakes himself has even suggested using the jump/roll tactic multiple times in the past. Here's the quote:
    Completing = winning. You need to beat the NPC, but you can try again until you beat it. Once you get the hang of the track, you'll end up beating the NPC each time by a longshot (tip: jump or roll to stop yourself from sliding). The PvP race has separate rewards for placing and participating.

If the community manager uses jump/roll to avoid sliding, it's clearly not an exploit of any kind. Jumping off the ledge to skip half the race, that was an exploit. This is a tactic relying on ingame mechanics. If you dislike hopping, there is nobody forcing you to do so.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I spend a significant portion of my time ingame running Ground PvP and I've never seen an "azurianstar" before. Do you go by another name?

Of course. Forum account names changed when Cryptic was bought out by PW.
    The "bunny hopping" has nothing to do with the reduced damage. That damage reduction is called dodge chance. Dodge provides a percent chance to reduce incoming damage. When an attack is dodged, the damage is instantly cut in half before application to shield or damage resistances on the player. A player with 100% dodge has a 100% chance to halve all incoming attacks before resistances. Running grands a +50% speed boost and +75% dodge chance. The reason some player run forward while jumping is to prevent them from overshooting their intended target. However, weapons are disabled, unless they are repeatedly pressing the shift key in between shots. Even then, they do run into the exhaustion during red alert mechanic, which is why they always retreat after a short period.

A good reason why people hate PvP. You aren't going to see soldiers or warriors leaping in a battle.
    However, hopping and rolling are not exploits. You only need to hop at specific points in the race to do well. Hoping repeatedly throughout the entire race will cause the player to lose to another using straight sprint on the straightaways. Branflakes himself has even suggested using the jump/roll tactic multiple times in the past. Here's the quote:

If the community manager uses jump/roll to avoid sliding, it's clearly not an exploit of any kind. Jumping off the ledge to skip half the race, that was an exploit. This is a tactic relying on ingame mechanics. If you dislike hopping, there is nobody forcing you to do so.

By your logic, I shouldn't be forced to play an event that does.

And again I never said it was an exploit, just bad mechanics.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    A good reason why people hate PvP. You aren't going to see soldiers or warriors leaping in a battle.

Okay. So take it out then? I'd wager more people would be outraged by the removal of hopping than by the removal of PvP.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Okay. So take it out then? I'd wager more people would be outraged by the removal of hopping than by the removal of PvP.

I didn't say remove bunny hopping. I said make it that you cant do it in the race.
  • Options
    f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The only nasty tactic I've noticed in the race is the couple of times that players have intentionally bumped my toon to push me into one of the obstacles. While it's annoying, it's far from game breaking, because I still get tags for participating and I can always try the next race.
  • Options
    joninatxjoninatx Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm sympathetic to some of the complaints here, but not to most.

I'm most sympathetic to the one-recipe complaint, but it sounds like this is a bug, and that seems reasonable. I'm sure it will be fixed, so I'm not sweating it too much.

Is anyone else's food disappearing when slotted to the quick tray? It seems like every few hours, one of them vanishes, and this only happens when I have them equipped; not when they're just sitting in my inventory.

As to the VO shouts, they don't bother me, but I can see how they bother others.

I don't think that the drops are borked, nor do I think they need to put items in the snowpiles. There are plenty of ways to get the uncommons. Snowmen, mysterious boxes, and DOFF missions are earning me enough such that in a few days, I've gotten enough for three guns.

Running the race is a grind, but you only do it once a day, and it's quicker than the Risa one, which I like. For those failing it a lot, it gets much easier if you keep at it.

Same with the race. You get better the more often you do it. (But I don't care for the flags at the end. Several times I've been screwed out of second place because it's neck and neck, I'm shooting for first, and the other guy gets it. By the time I turn around, the second place flag is gone.)

My only other complaint is the GPL converter. I'm getting a TON of common items, and I'd love to turn them in quicker than one at a time.

But all in all, I love the events. I look forward to them, and think they're great. My GF saw me flying around Risa and wants to play the game when she gets a new computer. She also thinks "Q IS THE MOST WONDERFUL BEING I HAVE EVER KNOWN" is funny. Back to the races!
  • Options
    kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    wont be doing this one......sorry but last year was far better...even without getting the ship (i didnt care enough about running a boring event 30 times *times x amount of toons*)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    VO: The breen! ack! The Original Sounds (maybe with a subtext) would absolutely suffice, no need f?r spoken language.

Epohh's: Either make the tags BoA or add them to the DOFF missions, with just the race it's easier and more reliable to pet the space rabbits directly on new romulus.
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The Chef, the Ferengi and the Epohh chick every 5 seconds with the voices is TOO MUCH. seriously. Tone it down...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    joninatx wrote: »
    Is anyone else's food disappearing when slotted to the quick tray? It seems like every few hours, one of them vanishes, and this only happens when I have them equipped; not when they're just sitting in my inventory.
    Are they being eaten by tribbles?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    These are reasons why that race isn't popular.
    I'll believe this when I see an empty race. That hasn't happened yet.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've yet to see one person do this. i did not even know it was a thing you could do until this thread. even if they are its a PvP race. whatever movement you have available to you is legitimate.

ive also yet to see an empty race.

even if you encounter this problem. you can pick up 2 tags from losing and with 4 races an hour and a 24 hour doff mission even at its worst you will have more than enough.

it does not need changing.
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    last year i ran multiple toons through the races, earnt some jackets, boots, etc and basically spent the entire event there.
    this year.... i am going to buy commodities off the exchange and pick up a set of boots for each of my toons and call it done. unlike last year, this isnt fun.
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited December 2013
    Empty or full does not denote popularity when it is the only way to get the epohh's. If they had another event that gave the tags that did not include underhanded actions like bumping other players into obstacles, bad design choice for who places where, and everyone gets tags everytime then the race would be empty. I have done it 2 times and I didnt get a single tag because the flag disapeared before I could grab it making the race a complete waste of time.

Sorry but rolling, jumping and spamming F at the end doesnt quite work for me due to physical reasons. There are many others who are even worse off and cannot even get a ship. The race is fine and all if it doesnt cause discomfort to do it but many players are not and feel discriminated against because the only way to get the epohh's is by doing something that can cause them pain or is near impossible to do.

Saying it is popular because it is never empty is like saying the DMV is popular because its never empty.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So the Jumja Fudge recipe mission doesn't return any food, just common winter items. I'm going to assume that this is a bug.
    Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
    Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
    General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Meh, I still make first place often enough without rolling or jumping. Drifting is its own form of art.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Getting stupid that more and more players are bunny hopping in the PvP race

Why? I like beating all the hoppers. Let'em gimp themselves if that's what they want to do, it makes getting my tags much easier. :P

...or we could start another round of whining QQ "OMG they're doing it wrong, they're not doing it the way I do" threads. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »
    Empty or full does not denote popularity when it is the only way to get the epohh's. If they had another event that gave the tags that did not include underhanded actions like bumping other players into obstacles, bad design choice for who places where, and everyone gets tags everytime then the race would be empty. I have done it 2 times and I didnt get a single tag because the flag disapeared before I could grab it making the race a complete waste of time.

Sorry but rolling, jumping and spamming F at the end doesnt quite work for me due to physical reasons. There are many others who are even worse off and cannot even get a ship. The race is fine and all if it doesnt cause discomfort to do it but many players are not and feel discriminated against because the only way to get the epohh's is by doing something that can cause them pain or is near impossible to do.

Saying it is popular because it is never empty is like saying the DMV is popular because its never empty.

You don't have to do any of those things to win... I don't do it... I just run and look for less populated instances... I do toggle my ice boots on and off sometimes but it's not rocket science... if you want to slide down the track that's your business or hop, roll, flip or whatever... who cares. It's not discriminatory; it's a competition. Everyone wins at least two tags so even the less fortunate get something. Not to be insensitive but, if you really can't run around the track and hit the F key, I don't see how you even play this game or most games for that matter.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    mutualcoremutualcore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I like the winter event better this year because it is easier to earn items for all my chars by doing the different events. Yes they are all unnecessary items to play the game but I like some of them.

I haven't had a problem with the F&F race. I do pretty well just running and sliding like normal. I've only noticed 1 person bunny hop and it didn't really make a diff. More people try to roll and that didn't make them win. The race can be done 4 times in an hr so it isn't that big of a deal if I get a TRIBBLE place.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Meh, I still make first place often enough without rolling or jumping. Drifting is its own form of art.
    Indeed, choosing the right time to turn is key here.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    cptspock11cptspock11 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think the Winter Invasion is awesome especially the gingerbread men it's awesome!
  • Options
    peter1z9peter1z9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I couldn't stand the races last year, and I still can't stand them this year.
    "Our Bugs are working as intended" - Cryptic