test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Winter Wonderland 2013 Feedback

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    nagrom7 wrote: »
    It's actually summer down here... just saying.
    Lol, maybe for Aussies we can add a few icebergs to Risa? :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • redz4twredz4tw Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2013
    See that's my problem, i don't know what have the shet over there is or how to get it, no tutorial no nothing >.> so It's a waste of my time, especially for something I don't get to use after the event is over. And the raider? LOL like i want a BoP. The cruiser? Meh tank at best.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2013
  • sabremeister1sabremeister1 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Please God, Cryptic, shut those annoying-voiced morons in the gazebo up!
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Tonight you will be visited by the ghost of Christmas grinds..
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
  • carnivottcarnivott Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The Winter Wonderland finally worked. Sort of. Got to play the gingerbread instance. The map is very impressive, and everything is so perfectly sweet and cute that I felt the need to brush my teeth after doing it. The devs outdid themselves. The instance is fun to play, but I'm not interested in gingerbread pets or clothing items, so I'll probably only do it again on a whim. I expect that a lot of people will quit running it once they've won their desired gingerbread pet.

The Fast and Flurrious race is working on schedule. But with 8 alts, and so many people racing, I'm tempted to give up. It's typical to earn only 2 Epohh tags per race. A person could spend the entire hour waiting for, and running races in order to earn the amount of Epohh tags it takes for one character to do the daily doff mission that will ultimately lead to a reputation mark reward. But did I already say that I have 8 alts? By making it an onerous task to switch starships and builds, And providing so many interesting starships to choose from, Cryptic makes alting necessary. I want to level up all my alts reputations without spending all week in game. Last year's Winter event, with the ability to supplement Epohhs won racing with Epohhs found in snow piles, made it easy to justify the entire endeavor. This year, not so much.

At this point, it doesn't seem logical :D for me to participate. I would do just as good, probably better, to go back to the regular grind. It's a shame too; the devs put so much effort and did such a good job in general with creating the event. They just misjudged how players like me would value the available rewards. I predict that the Winter Wonderland will be largely unused, with participation far below that of last year.

To an extent, this is a zero sum game. If we're not playing STO, then we're off playing other games that have more compelling holiday events. If I'm right about low participation, I hope that Cryptic has a "Winter Event Contingency Plan" to bring back players like me.
  • carnivottcarnivott Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Regarding the highlighted part, you do realize (I hope) that you must either be a 1000-day veteran Gold subscriber or a Lifetime Subscriber. You can't get the ship if you're silver. It's impossible for them to get it. The reason is you must have the Vet ship as part of the requirements, if you don't have it, you don't get it at all.

Yeah. One of my alts flies the Daeinos Heavy Destroyer. In my judgement it's the coolest looking Rom ship, and it's fun to play. I've been playing it since it became available, and the fleet version eliminates some of it's greatest disadvantages compared to similar ships: Lower hull and shield HP, and nine available consoles instead of the max of ten.
  • woogawomanwoogawoman Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hi all. This is my first year on STO, my first Winter Wonderland, and I thought I'd give a newbie's opinion.

So far, I am disappointed. Some of that is due to frustration at not having learned how to win the NPC race yet -- and that may ease if I find the trick to it. (I have always used my mouse for ground movement rather than keys, so I will probably need to completely relearn navigation to even have a shot at it.)

The rest is because I thought in general there'd be more to do. So far, my entire experience has been failing the race, getting my "you saw all the snow art" accolade, and eating pies. I'm not much into PvE or PvP, so I may try the gingerbread thing (once fixed) and the competitive race, but probably not often.

I think, in general, I was expecting something with more discovery, exploration, storyline, hanging-around-doing-fun-stuff-with-other-toons rather than just "ways to earn stuff to trade in for other stuff."

I know I may not be typical, however, especially compared to long-time players who have done and seen everything, and for whom earning the new stuff IS the point.

I just wish we could have both types of experiences in these events.

----
    YMMV, Woogawoman
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2013
    *snip*

Capt. Scrooge McPartypooperpants
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
    edited December 2013
    stark2k wrote: »
    Many of you know me on this forum as being very critical of Cryptic, and rightfully so. However; that being said, the event is a good one.

The Winter event is one of Cryptic's highlights and bright spot of STO. The rewards are fair and we get to run this year a rep system for our choice of vessel.

The new events are nice to, as well as the new winter toys we get to enjoy with. Please count your blessings, these type of fun and rewarding events are few and far between.

Just be happy they did not bring back the Red Gift Boxes from HELL, those old timers who have been around will know what I am referring to., and even that, nobody ever won one and most had to be bought on the CStore.
    Yeah really. and even if you DID buy them you had something like a .01% chance of getting a ship.

Yeesh. Seriously, winning the daily race seemed to have a drop rate of less than 1% for red boxes.

Oh and back then holiday commods were BoP, which meant that you were at the mercy of the RNG if you wanted to buy stuff. And as we all know, the RNG has no mercy. One of my guys had 30+ of one commod left over when the 2011 event was done.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2013
    Nothing is preventing you from going to Risa.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Cryptic well done on the winter events nice job enjoyed it....
    Would be more fun to get XP from Q for my new Char but I suppose you can't have it all.

How on earth you suppose to get that breen ship because I don't have a clue ????:confused:

Greets
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • brewtolomusbrewtolomus Member Posts: 277
    edited December 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Capt. Scrooge McPartypooperpants

Thanks tacofangs!
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    O.K. so here's my 2 EC,

You've upped the difficulty of the fastest game on Ice, No biggie, I can still win and the increased challenge is interesting. First impression is it's better than the snooze fest that was the race last year! I have heard complaints from newer players though, they just can't beat the new difficulty level.

The VO for Q's pavilion, STOP IT O.K., JUST STOP IT! It grew old in the first 2 minutes!

And while I have no interest in the Pie Eating Contest, the noise of people eating is , frankly, disgusting! There is no other way to say it, it's just disgusting! I beg you to turn on the sound and listen to it constantly for 10 minutes, I'll bet you can't stand the sound for more than 2 minutes!

The only way I can stand anywhere in Q's pavilion is to mute both Voice and FX. which is a shame as I like the VO for the Gingerbread Village and the Snowman Invasion, and the weapon sounds.

As for the Gingerbread Village event its self, I've run it a couple of times but never gotten the recipes from it. To have the recipes just for one person is a serious FAIL! So the one person who knows where to look picks it up every time while the unfortunate pleb like me has no chance at the recipe at all! was this even thought through? Better to have random recipes drop from the Final Boss so everyone can pick it up!

Also, to echo points already made, how can you break things that worked fine last year? My main gripe in this is the walking animations on ice, seriously! How could you break something that worked so well?

Any way, that's it for now so, thanks for bringing it back. I look forward to owning the Breen Raider.
  • aveimperatoraveimperator Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So go to Risa. What's stopping you?
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2013
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    Cryptic well done on the winter events nice job enjoyed it....
    Would be more fun to get XP from Q for my new Char but I suppose you can't have it all.

How on earth you suppose to get that breen ship because I don't have a clue ????:confused:

Greets

Run the race and get 40 autographed pictures of Q, then open the Breen ship project in your rep tab and add the pics ,check back every day until filled.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,219 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    artan42 wrote: »
    Run the race and get 40 autographed pictures of Q, then open the Breen ship project in your rep tab and add the pics ,check back every day until filled.

Lol he is talking about experience bonus from Q. I think he knows how to do the Q Event.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • ngonorrheangonorrhea Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Lol he is talking about experience bonus from Q. I think he knows how to do the Q Event.

Actually, I think he's referring to the actual process via the Event Reputation project.
  • hamsterchieftainhamsterchieftain Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hi, this is my first month on STO, and I just checked out Winter Wonderland as well.

It took a few tries for the footrace, as I kept losing the track (yeah, go ahead and laugh). A sign with an arrow would help, otherwise I went into the lake, and then somewhere else, etc. To win the footrace, I suggest double-tapping the up arrow to do a forward roll. This completely stops your forward momentum (no skid), but you then can't move for a moment. Still, that allows you to run full-tilt into a hairpin turn.

The comments are pretty much dead on. Sort of exciting, but it looks like a grind to get temporary snow-weapons. There are also non-obvious issues, such as randomly being attacked by an army of snowmen when you're by yourself exploring, beaming out to Earth Spacedock after defending the Gingermen, and having the snowballs disappear off the taskbar when reloading from a snowbank (and so spending time moving it to a different equipment slot instead of defending my teammates).

Oh, and what exactly are the rewards for the pie eating contest? I've eaten up to 10 pies and nada.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and a Hammy New Year!
    edited December 2013
    lynoman wrote: »
    If they insist on the BS one recipe per run, then at least make the cool down 5 mins. The one drop recipe per run is one of the worst thing ever. And you add an accolade to it...........
    It's been confirmed that the entire team is supposed to be able to pick up the gift box. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.
    Oh, and what exactly are the rewards for the pie eating contest? I've eaten up to 10 pies and nada.
    a few holiday commods. did you talk to the Breen pie judge and click the green text? Turning in this mission is less straightforward than most.

Long-term, the best items are the frosted boots(to make you run faster out of combat), and the nanopulse weapons.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ...It's Christmas-time, you brought up Scrooge... You know what, brewtolomus? I'm just going to blame you for the fact that I'm now wondering how 'Bah, humbug' is said in Klingon...

:)
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Read and you discover this ....

I wish there was a double XP and I don't know how to get the breen ship
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
    edited December 2013
    ...It's Christmas-time, you brought up Scrooge... You know what, brewtolomus? I'm just going to blame you for the fact that I'm now wondering how 'Bah, humbug' is said in Klingon...

:)
    IIRC it's actually a Hungarian phrase. I think the translation is basically "go away."

*looks up*

Wiktionary disagrees.... Hunh... I dunno. I got that definition from a documentary on PT Barnum, which seems to have been wrong... (PT Barnum was fond of the word though.)

Wiktionary defines it as being largely synonymous with the word "fraud". with that definition in mind , it would seem that Scrooge was denouncing Christmas as a fraud. Which fits with the other things he always said about Christmas.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • hamsterchieftainhamsterchieftain Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ....a few holiday commods. did you talk to the Breen pie judge and click the green text? Turning in this mission is less straightforward than most.

Long-term, the best items are the frosted boots(to make you run faster out of combat), and the nanopulse weapons.

Thanks for listening. I talked with the Breen pie judge, and said "I'm finished". He then says "Let's count the pies". It then says how many pies I ate and (I think) Q would be amused. That's it.
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for listening. I talked with the Breen pie judge, and said "I'm finished". He then says "Let's count the pies". It then says how many pies I ate and (I think) Q would be amused. That's it.
    It should dump the commods into your inventory.... unless your inventory is full...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • solidshatnersolidshatner Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Q Is The Greatest Being Ive Ever Known!!! Lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I am really disappointed in the Fastest Game on Ice event still being event used again to get the ship for free. I was hoping that another event was made, or we would have a choice of ways to participate in the winter event besides racing to earn the 40 Q pictures each day. I will skip the Winter Event this year, I don't really want that new ship enough to want to do that same boring race everyday for 35 days, and don't want anything else from the event either.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well, I'm having fun, at least. I suspect that's mainly because I don't want either ship and I have snow guns and boots from last year, so I can mostly sit out the grinding and enjoy the scenery and the snowman carnage. Winter Invasion is hilarious and fun (the Yeti!).

I'll have to get started on Winter Epohh tags eventually, and I'm slowly accumulating holiday ornaments for the new guns and more jackets, but I know I'll get plenty over the next 35 days.

Seriously, guys, take it easy. The pve race takes 30 seconds and you know they'll extend the event by another week at the end (they always do, at this point I assume the extensions to events are pre-planned as opportunities for another news post). There's plenty of time to do and get everything.

If you've got a bunch of characters and you want to get everything for all of them... don't. Just pick a couple to get the ship and all the ornaments on. You can trade the ornaments around later to shop.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just want to take a moment to compare the means of obtaining rewards for the Summer and Winter Events.

Free Ship
    Risa - Beat the Clock "Obstacle" Course - generous time limit, but takes longer to do (multiple courses).

WW - Quick "PvE" Race - faster to do (only one course), but easier to fail.

Both "races" have a similar "slide" mechanic where you have to control how your character slides through the course. However, the Risa courses were much more forgiving about slipping off course and the time limit was not too tight. The ice race NPC's are slower than running speed, but they're faster than walking speed and they don't slip. Only sprinting and slick footwork around the turns give players the edge. The floater course didn't have that issue.

Lobi purchases are the only alternative for making up shortfalls for both prizes. Thankfully, any earned trade items do not disappear and can be reused for the next year's event.

Holiday Commodities
    Risa - Hor'ghann hunt and dance competition - only one commodity to gather and use in the store.

WW - Snowman battle events (including invasion) and pie-eating - multiple commodities to gather, some do not drop very frequently, harder to collect needed amounts to use in store.

The edge here goes to Risa again. The holiday commodities are fun and I wouldn't get rid of the variety, but they should all drop the same. Lobi purchases are the only alternative method and they do not guarantee you'll get the uncommon items you need.

Pets tradable for Marks (Birds/Epohhs)

About the same, but no alternative purchase method for the epohh tags. (Not sure if the epohhs are Rom marks only or not...)

My Summary
    There's more to do in the Winter Wonderland than in the Risa Event, but the reward collection feels like more of a grind in WW than in Risa. The ice race events are challenging for some who don't have the necessary coordination to navigate the courses, and they are far less forgiving than the Risian floater courses. Some players feel they are being unfairly penalized for not being able to complete the ice races reliably and have less chance to obtain the ship prize. If you're going to make us grind 25 days for the grand prize, something that's a little more forgiving about failing would be nice. The Risa Floater race was just about right.

However... the Winter Event is geared toward snowman battles and competitive events and has more of a sports feel. The Summer Event is more relaxed, befitting the idea of a place where you go for a vacation to rest and recreate. Thematically, the games and races do more-or-less fit the seasonal events. The Winter Event feels slightly less repetitive than Risa does, which is a good thing.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm curious - are the Uncommon Winter commodities dropping off of anything other than the Winter Wonderland Snowman Overlord? Because while I've picked up a bunch of the others (I think I have between 10-20 of all the commons) I've only picked up one uncommon.