test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Winter Wonderland 2013 Feedback

Comments

• nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    z3ndor99 wrote: »
    Oh, unless you like extreme red or green stay away from the new coloured jackets.

With each release I become more convinced that QA, to Cryptic, stands for "Quality Avoidance" :rolleyes:
    server_hamster6.png
  • mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Please somebody wake me up, is this April 1st, fools day?

What a garbage of event, what a bad design waste of time garbage. I tried yesterday, first thing eating pie, freaking eating pie competition?

Then defend the gingerbread, I stood there like a moron for 10 minutes, no one joined, then the ice race, what? I ran, better said slide back and forth, then the NPC goes running by me on a straight line like he is running on asphalt, I am sliding so bad I get off the track and DQ

I go back to the other event and oh bad luck you need to wait for 30 minutes.

And the rewards are you kidding me?

Whoever designed this cacophony of stupidity should be punished to stand on thin ice wearing a spedo.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    mayito2009 wrote: »

What a garbage of event, what a bad design waste of time garbage. I tried yesterday, first thing eating pie, freaking eating pie competition?

Then defend the gingerbread, I stood there like a moron for 10 minutes, no one joined, then the ice race, what? I ran, better said slide back and forth, then the NPC goes running by me on a straight line like he is running on asphalt, I am sliding so bad I get off the track and DQ

Whoever designed this cacophony of stupidity should be punished to stand on thin ice wearing a spedo.

I've enjoyed the winter events since they started doing them, so have many others. Some of the things to do require practice, but they are all easy enough to do.

Take a deep breath, go make a drink or grab a snack and calmly try again ;)

Good luck and have fun :)
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Basically they took everything that made the previous two events so good.... Increased the grind factor (seriously, GRIND for RECIPES to COOK with?!), lowered the quality of the prizes (bright red and green jackets). Add to this an utterly insipid and childish voiceover (burping sound-effects? REALLY?) and fundamentally broken code... You have the latest Best Effort from Cryptic.

I want to know how the walking animation got messed up. How do you even DO that.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm enjoying it.

The ice race just takes practice and is very easy. the winter invasion was bugged yesterday but seems to be working fine now, and the rewards give you access to weapon, costumes, pets and ultimately a free ship or two.
  • serevnserevn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Winter event is fun, of course you got those people who can't handle sliding . Also rewards are rewarded to fast in my opinion, already made 15 mill just selling excess stuff on the market in 1 day.
  • serevnserevn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Double post xP
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have some specific feedback about the event.

First, when you leave the map from the Gingerbread village it takes you all the way back to ESD. Why not put us in the chalet on the Winter Wonderland map? It's inconvenient to zone twice to get back there. Or better yet, can we have a choice about whether to go back to ESD or to the WW from the Gingerbread village map?

Second, I wish the snowball power worked like other attack powers in that they auto-target the nearest available enemy. The snowballs don't do that and it makes it harder to use them as a weapon against the snowmen. I could be remembering wrong, but it seems like this wasn't an issue last year? I imagine they are like that because you can throw them at other players?

Third, I found myself standing around a lot waiting for one of the games to come off cooldown. We either need something else to do, or the frequency and cadence of the games needs to be adjusted. It would help if the pie-eating contest and the winter invasion had shorter cooldowns.

Speaking of the pie-eating contest... I can see where it might be next to impossible to grab a pie if too many people are playing at the same time. I was playing in the middle of the night and there were still a lot of people around. I think the ratio was about 2 pie stations per person on average. That might be why you have the longer cooldown, to give more people a chance. I think there should have been a second pie table to accomodate more players at once.

Fourth, I wish the uncommon winter commodities dropped a little more frequently. I'm trying to save up for a winter event ground weapon. I even had some left over from last year's event and I still don't have enough.

Sixth, I enjoyed the gingerbread village but there's not really enough time to look around. I wanted to explore it a little more. Maybe an alternate, non-combat version that we can just visit in-between invasions?

I liked that we could collect candy for buffs. That was a nice touch.

Seventh, I chuckled when I saw the Abominable Snowman/Yeti. Somebody else obviously remembers those old Rankin/Bass christmas cartoons. Wouldn't scoff at any future nods to Christmas pop culture like that!

I guess that's about all for now.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
    edited December 2013
    15 millions LMAO, limit amount of money in bank is 10 millions, so you caught yourself on your own lie. Try better next time.

The event is a mix of nonsense with mirror universe. This is my first event so I am sorely disappointed that Cryptic could create such a junk, can the devs couldn't create something more lore based and worth of spending time?

I went yesterday and I only could find 4 events

1- eat pie
    2- defend the gingerbread
    3- the ice road
    4- fast and furios or whatever it is called

are these the only events?

I walked all that place and couldn't find anything else

I really was hoping that this next episode could be something like the one we just finished, some drama, some lore and some nice rewards, but this, this, this is just unbelievable stupid.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    15 millions LMAO, limit amount of money in bank is 10 millions, so you caught yourself on your own lie. Try better next time.

I'll stop you there. Only silver players have a 10 mil ec cap. Gold members and lifers don't. You can also buy this option if you are a silver member. So, in your words: You caught yourself on your own ignorance. Better luck next time.

Edit: Also, as for the rest of your post, this event has been around for 3 years (this is the third). It isn't meant to be a story arc, its just meant for fun. If your not having fun, go do something else. :D
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2013

The event is a mix of nonsense with mirror universe. This is my first event so I am sorely disappointed that Cryptic could create such a junk, can the devs couldn't create something more lore based and worth of spending time?

I went yesterday and I only could find 4 events

1- eat pie
    2- defend the gingerbread
    3- the ice road
    4- fast and furios or whatever it is called

are these the only events?

I walked all that place and couldn't find anything else

I really was hoping that this next episode could be something like the one we just finished, some drama, some lore and some nice rewards, but this, this, this is just unbelievable stupid.
    You're the dumb one here, limit is 1 billion if you spend $$$.
  • neotrident12neotrident12 Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Ehhhh... actually its only 10million if you haven't purchased the cap increase from the c-store or a non-subscriber.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maskedmarvel1maskedmarvel1 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ec limit is 1 billion , tho you have to buy the ec cap ,
    edited December 2013
    I am on the 10 million mark so big deal, the event is TRIBBLE, poorly designed and not an event that qualifies as STO quality event. But if you all are so childish dumb then enjoy the horse TRIBBLE.

• kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I am on the 10 million mark so big deal, the event is TRIBBLE, poorly designed and not an event that qualifies as STO quality event. But if you all are so childish dumb then enjoy the horse TRIBBLE.

Ooh, ooh, If this is an I quit post, can I have your stuff?
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2013
    To the OP, here is the list of things to do.
    1) Fast and Flurrious
    2) Eat Pies
    3) Raise Epohhs for marks
    4) Fight living snowmen
    5) Protect Gingerbread men
    6) Gather all the accolades (there are a lot if you're new)
    7) Do the race for pictures

Granted, the grind this year is kind of a pain compared to last year. Doable, but it's not fun.
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I enjoy these events more than similar ones in other games. They might have been of higher quality, but they also turn out more "safe" and "sterile" that way.

But as others have said, you do not have to be jolly. It is not mandatory! Be a Scrooge, in the finest traditions!

---
  • bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited December 2013

LOL, its 1.000.000.000 max in bank and 500.000.000 in account-bank.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This event is better than season 8 in it's entirety.

Has been good every year, so not sure how it could be viewed as a joke....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

edited December 2013
    I love been a scrooge, I thought that this event was like the episode we just finish so when I saw it I was all giddy up to get involved and then a raindeer TRIBBLE popped on my path and I went what???? I fell on a snowman and I decided scrooge pays better.

Kind of disappointed because I was looking for an episode to follow Worf and I found Q, really Q?

I apologize, I was just hoping for something else, but hopefully with time it will grow on me.

• defcon1776defcon1776 Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    OMG, please add an option to turn off NPC voice-overs in WW.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." Q
    Join the 44th Fleet. [FED and KDF] Apply Online: startrek.44thfleet.com
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Third, I found myself standing around a lot waiting for one of the games to come off cooldown. We either need something else to do, or the frequency and cadence of the games needs to be adjusted. It would help if the pie-eating contest and the winter invasion had shorter cooldowns.

Definitely agree here.

I often just ran around or played on the frozen lake while waiting for event times or cooldowns. Pie eating needs to be 5 min CD instead of 15 considering how few items we get from it. Haven't been able to complete WI yet, so no comment on that one.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • lynomanlynoman Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The one recipe per run is bs. Everyone should get a chance to get one, if they want to look for it. Everyone competing for them is just plain TRIBBLE.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    This event is better than season 8 in it's entirety.

Has been good every year, so not sure how it could be viewed as a joke....

Seriously this.

The winter event is better than the entirety of S8. At least it has a story line (Q just wants to play!).
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited December 2013
    I like the atmosphere but hate the new voices in the background spamming us loudly. The new content is fun but also super duper grindy. Last year's WW was better in that it felt like a break from all the work in this game. Also Cryptic is very stingy with rewards. Sorry Cryptic but this rates as another disappointing release along with the fugly Mogh Battlecruiser and Season 8 snooze fest.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited December 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Seriously this.

The winter event is better than the entirety of S8. At least it has a story line (Q just wants to play!).

LOL. I will give you this one!
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • lynomanlynoman Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If they insist on the BS one recipe per run, then at least make the cool down 5 mins. The one drop recipe per run is one of the worst thing ever. And you add an accolade to it...........
  • carnivottcarnivott Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Originally Posted by lucho80 View Post
    The snow piles are staying as-is which means casual players and people with a lot of alts are out of luck.

Fast and flurrious 1st place gives 12 tags BUT they messed with it and seems to only pop up once an hour instead of twice like last year.
    I suggest doing the Winter invasion once it's fixed because if you do all the optionals (save all gingerbread men, get present, kill Yeti) you get a good amount of drops. Only problem is, the 30 minute cooldown on it.

They need to bring back the commodities in snow piles. Do it like the pie contest where you actually have to click on the action instead of just blindly pressing F (That is why it was removed by the way)

Thanks for the reply's guys. I culled some useful info like the stuff quoted above.

It's another day and I am full of hope. I'm about to go back into the game now [fingers crossed]. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    dahminus wrote: »
    You'd think so, but all major software releases follow this path to some degree

Fixed that for you.

At least it's not healthcare.gov!
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yes they do need to bring the commodities back to the snowpiles. I do agree.

Never going to happen. The snowpiles were the target of mass exploitation by bots last year.