What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What's with all the Khev hate?

Comments

• Options
    theonetruetomtheonetruetom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Fedside Romulan is no better or worse than KDF. He's still annoying, he still tells the captain what to do in WAY more of a whiny tone than he should, and he still shrugs his shoulders after you find the sister he made you fly across the galaxy for.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Fedside Romulan is no better or worse than KDF. He's still annoying, he still tells the captain what to do in WAY more of a whiny tone than he should, and he still shrugs his shoulders after you find the sister he made you fly across the galaxy for.

I found that a bit..odd, as well. Tovan seems too obsessed with finding his sister in earlier parts of the storyline, then the whole finding her goes flat.No thank you captain, or anything in the emotional response department from either of them. That bugged me enough to not use my Romulan character for a few weeks. I feel that once you complete the Romulan story missions, and get to the recycled federation stories, the players should be able to dismiss Tovan.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You know how, unless you've retrained his ground skills, Tovan loves to lunge at his targets (which is spectacularly stupid when you're using, say, a plasma sniper rifle)?

Well, while running my all-Tovan crew through Nimbus III, I got a bat'leth. And it occurred to me that there was one very good use for the silly thing. I gave it to Tovan (in this crew, he's named Tovan Khev2, because I'm Tovan Khev), and now he's a freaking combat monster.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085 Arc User1
    edited November 2013
    He has lunge, but no sweeping strikes, which makes retraining him almost mandatory. Either giving him sweeping strikes, or taking away lunge.
  • Options
    no09dysonsphereno09dysonsphere Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Doesn't really matter when melee's still bugged with certain terrain like the park section of the voth battlezone
  • Options
    atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Khev represents everything that is wrong with Cryptic's depiction of the Romulans and the Federation-clone Romulan "Republic."

I'd space him for insubordination and being a traitor to the Star Empire if I could.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    atomictiki wrote: »
    Khev represents everything that is wrong with Cryptic's depiction of the Romulans and the Federation-clone Romulan "Republic."

I'd space him for insubordination and being a traitor to the Star Empire if I could.

That's a little harsh, I'd say it goes to D'Tan. Watching the tier 5 cutscene as a Romulan is painful with the way he talks about sharing secrets and working together blah blah blah, I mean even the Federation did sneaky underhanded things to get the Romulans into the Dominion War and the way D'Tan acts is just so stupidly naive and un-Romulan. The Elachi storyline imo is salvageable if we chalk everything up to rogue elements of the Tal Shiar, but D'Tan just no. Khev would be too if he were customizable (aka dismissable) and not forced.
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    I kinda like Tovan...but that outfit made me lol

If people don't like him then don't...but some people are reacting like it's game breaking to have him...it's just one boff slot. I suppose for you though it's game braking to not have a full slim and busty ground crew...

In this case, yes, yes it is. :P
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    Tovan Khev is an agent of Hell. There are darker forces in play here, than people realize.

Exactly!!!
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited November 2013
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    Tovan Khev is an agent of Hell. There are darker forces in play here, than people realize.
    Its worse than that, he's part of an Iconian clone insurgency
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    That's a little harsh, I'd say it goes to D'Tan. Watching the tier 5 cutscene as a Romulan is painful with the way he talks about sharing secrets and working together blah blah blah, I mean even the Federation did sneaky underhanded things to get the Romulans into the Dominion War and the way D'Tan acts is just so stupidly naive and un-Romulan. The Elachi storyline imo is salvageable if we chalk everything up to rogue elements of the Tal Shiar, but D'Tan just no. Khev would be too if he were customizable (aka dismissable) and not forced.

Why "rogue elements of the Tal'Shiar"? The Tal'Shiar is not a good thing. It never has been.
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    In this case, yes, yes it is. :P

I don't see any need to promote sexist and chauvinist perspectives. :mad:
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited November 2013

First it was not the Federation it was Garak with after a lot of soul searching approval from Sisko.
    Second D'tan is an idealist. He is in power because the people on New Romulus are sick of the way the Tal Shi'ar have been operating. Brutal oppression only lasts so long. After a little while they will want a leader less . . . Hmm I don't have a good word for him. He is not quite na?ve nor inexperienced, his moves seem quite open and able to bear scrutiny. But he will eventually get mauled by a more shrewd politician. Anyone have the word I am looking for?

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    protogoth wrote: »
    Why "rogue elements of the Tal'Shiar"? The Tal'Shiar is not a good thing. It never has been.

As you could probably tell I really don't like STO's portrayal of the Tal Shiar, yes they're the ruthless Romulan intelligence services, but I find it more interesting when they're portrayed as (misguided) patriots who're protecting the Star Empire from external threats by whatever means necessary (like their secret deal to destroy the Founders with the Obsidian Order, that one mission with Charva) than the torture happy sadistic downright bad guys we have here (basically everything else).
    feiqa wrote: »
    First it was not the Federation it was Garak with after a lot of soul searching approval from Sisko.
    Second D'tan is an idealist. He is in power because the people on New Romulus are sick of the way the Tal Shi'ar have been operating. Brutal oppression only lasts so long. After a little while they will want a leader less . . . Hmm I don't have a good word for him. He is not quite na?ve nor inexperienced, his moves seem quite open and able to bear scrutiny. But he will eventually get mauled by a more shrewd politician. Anyone have the word I am looking for?

All true. It's just the way he comes off he seems to me like someone who's so idealistic he's putting his ideals ahead of the Romulan people, and when shrewdness is the Romulan way, his lack thereof is un-Romulan.

Back to Khev, he's not as bad as D'Tan, but same kind of character, and it's all not very Romulan, at least the Romulan from the shows.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    protogoth wrote: »
    I don't see any need to promote sexist and chauvinist perspectives. :mad:

Says the slim, busty captain.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Back to Khev, he's not as bad as D'Tan, but same kind of character, and it's all not very Romulan, at least the Romulan from the shows.

And all most of us ever saw of the Romulans in the shows were military and Tal Shiar types. Outside the navy and state sec we saw only a few politicians and no ordinary civilians at all.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    And all most of us ever saw of the Romulans in the shows were military and Tal Shiar types. Outside the navy and state sec we saw only a few politicians and no ordinary civilians at all.
    I think that's what a lot of the haters are losing sight of. Khev isn't military, and never was. Your own character may or may not be - I've got one who informally "retired" from the Imperial fleet, and one who grew up as a farmer on Virinat. Expecting him to conform to proper military discipline is something we used to call "metagaming" in tabletop RPGs - playing a character as if the character has all of the player's knowledge. It's generally frowned upon, as it tends to lead to characters who know all the loopholes in their restrictions - in the real world, you can't count on GM leniency when you get a total party kill, for instance, but if you know your GM doesn't want it to happen in a game, you can act in a completely stupid and suicidal fashion. (Or, for instance, a D&D paladin who knows he can commit an evil act, and all he has to do is go on a quest afterward to restore his good name.)

Yes, he's a bit insubordinate, and doesn't really know when to shut up. It's almost as if he's just some jumped-up groundside mechanic who escaped a disaster with you once. Oh, wait...

Oh, and you can complain about what skills you think Khev lacks - all I know is, since I gave him that bat'leth, he's been frigging unstoppable. In a couple of combats, he was last man standing, and revived everyone else at the end.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    Says the slim, busty captain.

Oh! SNAP!!!
    jonsills wrote: »
    all I know is, since I gave him that bat'leth, he's been frigging unstoppable.

QFT
    <3
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    For me it's got nothing to do with hate. I just don't find him appealing. I find his readiness to leave his sister behind after going through gre'thor and high water to find her a glaring plot hole. not so much as a wrap up story (even the the mission 'Darkness before the dawn' had a better wrap up for a boff we hardly know anything about and never hear from again. at least there's some closure).

I find his willingness to buy into the Republics doctrine of it being ok to pretty much get absorbed into the Klingon/Federation governments armies un-romulan. Now no two romulans are the same, I get that but they are a independent culture. We Need to be able to pick and dismiss crew as we see fit. It doesn't matter if it's Federation, Klingon or Klingomulan/Federomulan-Republic.:P

I can have a boff that can juggle 10 lightsabers at the same time, bring balance to the force, and single handedly seal the rift in the Medusa cascade. but if I don't like him/her away they go.

Now they got the Klingon and Federation Boff stories right. they complement your character but it doesn't feel like it's their world and you're just there for the ride. Which for the many things the romulan republic story-line gets right and believe me theres a lot of awesome things they did. they over developed him. The story focuses more on Tovan then your character.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »

An interesting point which I am more than happy to concede. I guess where I'm coming from is that what canon we have establishes this Romulan 'culture' if you will, certain truisms about the species, and D'Tan and to a lesser extent Khev goes against that. It's like finding some friendly, nonxenophobic Tholians, everything we know from Trek about the species suggests otherwise and it'd be very strange to see them, but maybe there are some friendly Tholians out there too, but nonetheless they're the exception not the rule and I want to play the rule and not the special snowflake exception.
  • Options
    janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Only imagine, Sela returns with romulan fleet allied with Iconians, Elachi and Hirogen. I would negotiate with the undine too. All romulan ships are upgraded with borg technology. Plus thelaron weapons. It would be a true undefeatable armada. Sela would restore Empire and it would be powerful like never before. d'tan and tovan khev would become jokes in the history. Oh, dreams...

In-game handle @Janetza
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    taut0u wrote: »
    Only imagine, Sela returns with romulan fleet allied with Iconians, Elachi and Hirogen. I would negotiate with the undine too. All romulan ships are upgraded with borg technology. Plus thelaron weapons. It would be a true undefeatable armada. Sela would restore Empire and it would be powerful like never before. d'tan and tovan khev would become jokes in the history. Oh, dreams...

Hmm, delusions. Sela returns with that force there will be no history written. The iconians see humans and romulans as too unstable for use to them so they are food for the elachi. They would eradicate all unusable slave races and bring the other to heel rebuilding the iconian home world and serving their 'betters'.

Besides, to be a proper romulan victory you need to bring ruin to the dreams of those that oppose you. Like getting a reman to deposit a bit of red matter in Vulcan with records of him working with D'tan. The ensuing chaos from this would destroy re-unification and tear down the 'jewel' of new Romulus before D'tan's eyes leaving him begging for death.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    You can't "negotiate" with the Undine, either. Their starting position is that if you cannot defeat them, you must die. Not a lot of room for give-and-take there...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    ragestroke008ragestroke008 Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, being forced to take him is what makes me hate him. Don't get me wrong, I like the whole backstory of his. I just don't like being forced to choose him. His personal quest is something of a disappointment too.

Highlight black text; (sorry for the spoiler, no real way to hide it.) You go on a side quest to rescue his sister, but once you do... nothing happens. Very disappointing.

Maybe if they gave us a choice of 3 different boffs, each with their own story.
    Time is a funny thing; There is always too much of it. Except when you need it the most, then there is never enough.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    You can't "negotiate" with the Undine, either. Their starting position is that if you cannot defeat them, you must die. Not a lot of room for give-and-take there...

Vice Admiral Janeway would disagree with you. The only reason they're attacking again is because SPOILER the Iconians attacked them and made them think we did it.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    madman2828madman2828 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I hate him, period, He is insubordinate, rude, dies a lot, (I ofcourse encourage this. XD) Out of irony I make him dress like a Tal Shiar officer.
  • Options
    nithanathnithanath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I hate Tovan with passion. Even though i have assigned him to no station he still shows up on my bridge. His stupid attidude really spoiled the otherwise very good Romulan episodes.

On the other hand I really like Elisa Flores. I dismissed and recommisioned her a few times ... just because I can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    horsefrog#6874 horsefrog Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    My Fed and KDF boffs are just... drones. They dont really have any substantial personality to them, they're all essentially the same.

This is why we have the option to give them biographies, a name, and personalised outfit. One of my favourite aspects of the game.

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Really... you necro a 3yr dead thread for THAT?!
    @jodarkrider please use the anti-necron device :P
This discussion has been closed.