test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's with all the Khev hate?

Comments

• smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My complaint with Tovan is just that he is forced upon you. If we don't have the choice whether to have him or not, then he shouldn't be taking up one of our boff slots. Give him his own reserved boff slots without effectively taking away one of ours.

I've been considering just deleting my rommie character completely because I can't design my crew the way I want to with him there. It is just so irritating having him stick out among my crew.

-- Smoov
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    And the counterpoint to that is that we're not talking about the whole crew, just the command staff.
    Even so, deciding that NONE of the command crew assigned to you is suitable tends to reflect badly on you as a leader.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited November 2013
    Even so, deciding that NONE of the command crew assigned to you is suitable tends to reflect badly on you as a leader.
    Unless, of course, they are actually unsuitable for bridge duty, in which case, not replacing all of them, would tend to reflect badly on you as a captain.

-- Smoov
  • amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think the main problem isn't in the character himself, but the simple fact that we don't get a choice about having him. I quite like him myself, and I'm happy to have him... on one of my romulan ships. On my other one I'm trying to theme my crew to be a reman exclusive crew, and really bothers my that I have this one romulan dude just hanging around who I can't get rid of, or even rename.

I think 90% of the khev hate would have been avoided if he was made optional. I get that he's essential to the romulan story, but imho it should have been made possable to ditch him at the end of the rommie missions if you wanted to.

This is precisely why. I like the character, BUT it would be nice to have the option to let him go!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    smoovious wrote: »
    Unless, of course, they are actually unsuitable for bridge duty, in which case, not replacing all of them, would tend to reflect badly on you as a captain.

-- Smoov
    In real life, that's not gonna happen unless someone made a conscious effort to give you a crew of misfits. The "I only want the best" attitude doesn't go as far IRL as it does in this game...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085 Arc User1
    edited November 2013
    Lack of option is a problem with Khev.

I like him and I've retained all my original crewmen, though on stations and away teams they are replaced by others.

But, it's on my first Rom toon. And what about other possible toons? I've already played through Romulan storyline.
    Even if there will be continuation with Khev and others, I will play it with my original Rom. Why other possible Romulans on my account need to be stuck with Khev? He's a nice character, I like him.

But only once.
  • doktormarengodoktormarengo Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Personally I really like the Romulan BOFFS - including Khev. They have something no other set of BOFFs in the game has - a balanced mix of Space and Ground traits. Upon returning to the game after a few years absence, I'm really enjoying Romulans.

As far as it goes I customized mot of all the BoFFS to fit my own storyline. No one can actually control your imagination, that's a personal choice. Plus I found the Romulan plotline so immersive and enjoyable - that I really don't mind there being just one BOFF I can't name change.

People can always retire him and not use him. But the stats he provides are so good - I can't really imagine why anyone would do that. .
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    People can always retire him and not use him. But the stats he provides are so good - I can't really imagine why anyone would do that. .

See my remark about the bugs. He un-retires himself.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited November 2013
    One of these extras got a ?starring role? as it were. Cadet Elisa Flores was created to become your first Bridge Officer, one with which you?ve shared some history.

muwahahahahahah now new fed players will suffer like we have!!
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
    edited November 2013
    In real life, that's not gonna happen unless someone made a conscious effort to give you a crew of misfits. The "I only want the best" attitude doesn't go as far IRL as it does in this game...
    In real life you don't get stuck with the same crew that you can't transfer in or out for 8 years either.

Tovan's time is done, time to transfer off and open up the slot to someone new. After all, he has a whole colony to manage. Why is he hanging around on my ship in the first place? He's done what he needed to do, time to leave...

I swear... house-guests overstaying their welcome who can't take a damned hint...

-- Smoov
  • reimu#1706 reimu Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i suggest Cryptic lets the haters remove him then have him replace their mission contact for every mission just so they won't miss him ;D
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i suggest Cryptic lets the haters remove him then have him replace their mission contact for every mission just so they won't miss him ;D

You do realize, I would enjoy that?

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
    edited November 2013
    Fine by me, as long as I get my boff slot back for MY use instead of Cryptic's.

-- Smoov
  • pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Now I've gone from being really frustrated at the fact we're forced to keep Tovan to viewing the problem as COMPLETELY unacceptable.

Why? Because the FED players just got Elisa Flores as their "Tovan" (complete with back story and complex voice overs) but she CAN be discharged.

The arguments for why Tovan needs to be "mandatory" pretty much just evaporated with the last patch.

If players want to keep Tovan then they should be allowed to keep Tovan ... and if players want to get rid of Tovan those players should be able to get rid of him.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited November 2013
    Elisa is about as annoying as Tovan too, interrupting you every few minutes and telling you the blindingly obvious.

I think the difference here is she probably shuts the hell up post tutorial and isnt a major factor in faction plots like Tovan the Leper :P

Still want him dismissable tho
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You need to swap in alien BOFFs temporarily for the purpose of training up skills, and the space is cramped enough as it is. Don't need any farmerboy taking up space, AND the good chair on *my* bridge, just to add injury to insult. :P

---
  • aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Too bad you can't trade him... I would willingly take everyone's Tovan. I want a Tovan harem. XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kaarruukaarruu Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    aelrhiana wrote: »
    Too bad you can't trade him... I would willingly take everyone's Tovan. I want a Tovan harem. XD

You would be our sin eater; we would honor you for taking our burdens and not ask questions.

Cryptic! Let us have the option to dismiss the bugger, at least after the Rom-specific episodes are wrapped up. I'm really tired of Tovan installing himself as first officer on every single login and map change, to the point that I no longer want to do any doffing on my Romulan.

The game has many small flaws and annoyances that build up until one wonders if it wouldn't be better to pick up a lightsaber instead. Embassy boffs have been messed up since they were introduced, tailor system has been revamped into something worse than it was and Romulans are now in the same boat with Klingons with the various outfit issues.

Less frikkin' dinos and more fixin'.
  • jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    the thing about Tovan that I dislike thus far (but i just started) is that sometimes it just feels like he is giving ME orders, and he is the Captain. he also has a tendency to speak in instances where I feel it would be better for the Captain to do the talking and commanding. if his wannabe commanding were dialed down a bit, he might be tolerable.

Elisa Flores from the new Fed Tutorial is MUCH better in that regard, and far less overbearing.
    JayMadIV.png
  • theonetruetomtheonetruetom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'd be more okay with him if his career were changeable. There are 2 FEs that reward tactical officers, and both of those tactical officers are far more useful than Mr. Khev. I'd love to have Tovan Khev the Engineer, or Tovan the Science officer. But always the tactical officer? Trying to outfit a Romulan Engineer with the proper boff contingent is very difficult when you don't have the zen to spend on an extra boff slot to offset the whiny little brat's lack of versatility.

Either make him dismissable after the main story, or give us an extra boff slot after we find his sister. And for the love of god, he's not my first officer, so he needs to sit down in the ready room and be quiet.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,433 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jmadfour wrote: »
    the thing about Tovan that I dislike thus far (but i just started) is that sometimes it just feels like he is giving ME orders, and he is the Captain. he also has a tendency to speak in instances where I feel it would be better for the Captain to do the talking and commanding. if his wannabe commanding were dialed down a bit, he might be tolerable.

Elisa Flores from the new Fed Tutorial is MUCH better in that regard, and far less overbearing.
    Well, Elisa is a graduate of Starfleet Academy, and versed in military protocol, while Tovan was just a mechanic at the local starport. He only came with you at Virinat because you were both on the same escape shuttle, and he stayed with you because you're probably his only surviving friend.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited November 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Well, Elisa is a graduate of Starfleet Academy, and versed in military protocol, while Tovan was just a mechanic at the local starport. He only came with you at Virinat because you were both on the same escape shuttle, and he stayed with you because you're probably his only surviving friend.

He's not friends with his sister? Who's too good to join your crew in any capacity?
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,433 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    He's not friends with his sister? Who's too good to join your crew in any capacity?
    He's obsessed with his sister - but he's ready enough to leave her behind once he makes sure she's okay...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    And for the love of god, he's not my first officer, so he needs to sit down in the ready room and be quiet.
    That particular behavior has more to do with the fact that the game keeps LOSING your assignments, and when it finally recalls what boffs you have, Tovan is the first boff you've ever had and thus is first on the list.

And Tovan would probably attract a lot less hate if he wasn't an inferior member of his species: He has no Subtlefuge at all, and only Inferior Operative. The randoms you can get have Subtlefuge + Superior Operative.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    He's a Mary Sue, or a Gary Sue if you want to be politically correct.

I dismissed some of the dismissable bridge officers foisted upon me, like that Reman kid. She went out the airlock early on. The others that were customizable got customized and renamed beyond recognition.

Khev.. he has been relegated to cleaning duty. He dusts my command chair and cleans the facilities.
  • waaagh951waaagh951 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    protogoth wrote: »
    I'm seriously becoming tempted by all the Tovan hate to write into my character's bio that she and Tovan have decided to get married.

have a boff that is married to Tovan so. why not. sounds like a great idea if you want to
    edited November 2013
    This wouldn't be an issue if one of two things were true: A) Romulan captains who don't wish to have Tovan around anymore could simply dismiss him or B) ALL Romulan captains were offered a free Boff slot to compensate for the fact that this whiny little jerk sends you across the galaxy looking for his sister, promptly says "that's nice", and goes back to bossing the captain of the ship he is not allowed to be dismissed from around.
  • cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This wouldn't be an issue if one of two things were true: A) Romulan captains who don't wish to have Tovan around anymore could simply dismiss him or B) ALL Romulan captains were offered a free Boff slot to compensate for the fact that this whiny little jerk sends you across the galaxy looking for his sister, promptly says "that's nice", and goes back to bossing the captain of the ship he is not allowed to be dismissed from around.

I really want to level a Romulan Fed-side since my first one chose a Klingon Alliance, I'm curious as to whether there's a different dynamic you get to experience by going the other way.. but I'm not sure I could take all the whining about Rinna again.

Frankly I wish we'd find her smoking corpse early on and be able to leave him somewhere because he has new responsibilities, such as making sure her children.. his niece or nephew.. is safe and properly raised to be arrogant bossy little schmucks.

Rule Number One: There is no whining on the warbird.
    edited November 2013
    Fedside Romulan is no better or worse than KDF. He's still annoying, he still tells the captain what to do in WAY more of a whiny tone than he should, and he still shrugs his shoulders after you find the sister he made you fly across the galaxy for.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Fedside Romulan is no better or worse than KDF. He's still annoying, he still tells the captain what to do in WAY more of a whiny tone than he should, and he still shrugs his shoulders after you find the sister he made you fly across the galaxy for.

I found that a bit..odd, as well. Tovan seems too obsessed with finding his sister in earlier parts of the storyline, then the whole finding her goes flat.No thank you captain, or anything in the emotional response department from either of them. That bugged me enough to not use my Romulan character for a few weeks. I feel that once you complete the Romulan story missions, and get to the recycled federation stories, the players should be able to dismiss Tovan.
This discussion has been closed.