test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Season 8] Holodeck crashes on startup (Latest update: Pg. 319, post #3190)

Comments

• zer0tran1zer0tran1 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    same thing's been happening to me too and i've reinstalled several times as well. -sigh- it'd be nice if there were more back and forth conversations like so:

"omg, game broke! here's what happened!" -submits ticket-
    "whoa, whoa, whoa! can you do it again? lemme watch 0_0"
    "ok! here, i'll do it again" -breaks game- "see! i told you i wasn't crazy!"
    "if you push this button over here, and slide that widget over there and move the monkey with a banana here..." -trails off into programSpeak- "... and that should fix it!"
    -logs in and plays game- "thanks!"

if only it were a Perfect World... ;)

bed time, its 3am for me
    oh and updating java/directx/adobe/graphics didnt seem to help much for me
  • drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Conversation with my wife this morning (who normally uses my computer for STO).

Wife "Let's try on my computer."
    Me "I built yours too, it's about the same as mine and probably won't work."
    Wife "Worth a try..."

Download latest patches...

Me "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPceOB1Vc7M"

I worked!

For the record...
    My rig
    Windows 7 Professional (32-bit)
    AMD Athlon64 3500+2.1GHZ
    3 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS 1GB

My wife's rig
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
    AMD Athlon64 3800+ 2.4GHZ
    1.5 GB RAM
    ATI RADEON HD 5450 1GB

Mine has always run faster and "prettier" than hers but if hers works then I'll suck it up and run on hers.
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• revanpikerevanpike Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Third maintenance and still nothing....

"Some players are experiencing a crash during the loading screen. As this is a separate issue from the above, we will continue to work on a resolution for that and will note it in patch notes once one is available."
  • mortuus2408mortuus2408 Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Next Crash please fix it soon (very soon) how about NOW!!! No sleep unless this problem has been fixed.

Next try after the maintenance

Ticket: 18897741
    Simplication Award Winner
    Admirals Log Stardate....aaaahm....whats today's Stardate?
  • twelveparsecstwelveparsecs Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What I want to know is why was this KNOWN problem not resolved before going live on Holodeck??

Don't forget that this was reported on the Tribble TEST server for weeks!

Deciding not to have a Tribble test weekend and pretending not to notice is no excuse at all
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great kid, don't get penisy!
  • rabiddsaintrabiddsaint Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well, since season 8 I've had quite a few crash on load experiences. Hopefully I'll get to see the game again soon. First tried a complete uninstall of the game manually deleting files associated with it and reinstalled. No go for that. My latest to garantee it wasn't something wonky that was installed I grabbed another copy of windows xp I had that wasn't being used and did a format of the drive and fresh install of windows. Updated everything and yeah, same thing. So at least I know it isn't something from running the same OS for years.
  • blerrkblerrk Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I cant get the game to run past the brightness setting screen.A note at bottom keeps displaying that material files have been reloaded.
    edited November 2013
    blerrk wrote: »
    I cant get the game to run past the brightness setting screen.A note at bottom keeps displaying that material files have been reloaded.

At least yours displays something, mine I get to see the brightness and the clickable button at the bottom for about 5 secons then off to collecting crash logs and done.

I will say this, not being able to play the game has givin me time to check out what this ARC is about and I hardly ever visited the forums before.
  • chrisolliecchrisolliec Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What I want to know is why was this KNOWN problem not resolved before going live on Holodeck??

Don't forget that this was reported on the Tribble TEST server for weeks!

Deciding not to have a Tribble test weekend and pretending not to notice is no excuse at all

You know, some problems aren't solved in an hour or a day...

Given the variety of systems that are involved in this issue, it could be quite difficult to reproduce the error... As far as I know, there are some players with a system similar to mine, who still can play...

And the question WHY they didn't bother to postpone the launch...
    I think, even though it might be a quite large group inflicted with this problem, most of the players still can play.
    And as Cryptic & Co. have to earn money with this game, they have about the same problem as the Romulan Chief Engineer in the "Sphere of Influence" mission...

Besides, what gave you the idea they'd pretend not to notice the problem?
    Did they say something like that, somewhere? Can you provide a link?

And.. What would a Tribble Test Weekend have changed? They're for stability testing, as far as I know - and this definitively is no stability issue.
    "I came from a time long gone, saw many other times...
    But I'm still a mere human."
    Vice Admiral Chris Curtiss, Temporal Ambassador
  • richardevegarichardevega Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You know, some problems aren't solved in an hour or a day...

Given the variety of systems that are involved in this issue, it could be quite difficult to reproduce the error... As far as I know, there are some players with a system similar to mine, who still can play...

And the question WHY they didn't bother to postpone the launch...
    I think, even though it might be a quite large group inflicted with this problem, most of the players still can play.
    And as Cryptic & Co. have to earn money with this game, they have about the same problem as the Romulan Chief Engineer in the "Sphere of Influence" mission...

Besides, what gave you the idea they'd pretend not to notice the problem?
    Did they say something like that, somewhere? Can you provide a link?

And.. What would a Tribble Test Weekend have changed? They're for stability testing, as far as I know - and this definitively is no stability issue.

Yes but its been more than an hour or day, it's been literally over a month since first reports where sent in about this or a similar problem.
  • jimbobbubbajimbobbubba Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    isaw a screen shot of killing a armored t rex on facebook with season 8...... i want to kill a t rex
  • wanderernotlostwanderernotlost Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    NOTE: While we will be doing maintenance tonight, a resolution is not available yet, thus the issue can't be resolved in tonight's patch. I apologize, but I at least wanted to continue keeping you in the loop.

I appreciate your continued patience, and please know that we want to get you back in-game ASAP. It's our top priority, and the team that is able to work on a resolution is working as hard as possible to do so.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Seems like a logical response to an emotional subject. Not to beat a dead tribble but this seems similar to the GREAT CRASH of 10-8-13. Perhaps that would be a good starting point? Yes, I know ya'all are working on it. Keep on keeping on. Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SPACE, THE PRISON OF INFINITY, THE LOST FRONTIER
  • stevencherylstevencheryl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well, we've reached 500+ postings in the Crash of 08 thread
    and some were rather amusing imo.

Here's my favorites:

The Best (and Worst) Post's of the First 500

The Worst Award: Goes to nyasaya, for giving us a moment of false hope worthy
    (and rivaling), that of any crewmember aboard my U.S.S. Deceiver!
    (The link was from another thread, about a different bug). Well Done!
    nyasaya wrote: »
    Looks like we'll have to wait until tomorrow to be allowed to play. If they found a fix. :(

Omg, That one hurt!

The Best Award(s), (IT'S A TIE!), goes to bombadier22 for the perfectly well timed response to richardevega's post, AND
    halfpint71ky, for the incredibly keen insight into the
    developer world, and asking the only question on our minds.
    its not windows related and dont think its at our end as we all meet or pass the minimum system requirements im sure of that. 3 months ago it all worked smoothly, all this started ever since the patch of 10-03-13 and it all went down hill since then.

AND...
    Ok for those new to this issue: try to remain calm (I know its not easy), for those of us having this issue again we know that it can potentially be fixed... I.e. they reported its known to be graphics related... just the same as last times issue was graphics related.

So now we wait.. I know even with insight into the issues fixing a problem in a game of this size is a lot like playing "whack-a-mole" you knock one issue out and it causes more to surface.... still its hard to sit here patiently waiting.

So what I would like to ask is how many moles have you whacked at this point, and when might you be expected to finish?

I, and I'm sure many others, as victims if the Great Crash of 08,
    appreciate the laughs you've managed to pull out of us even under these circumstances.

Let's have more postings like this in the next 500!

Thanks for Coming! Goodnight!

Steve
    @SCCreations
    Steve@SCCreations - Fleet General - Persistent Officer Title & Accolade
    Deceiver's Lair Fleet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wanderernotlostwanderernotlost Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    StevenCheryl: Perhaps Crash of Season 8 instead of 08...some may be confused , thinking 2008? Enjoy your levity in this situation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SPACE, THE PRISON OF INFINITY, THE LOST FRONTIER
    edited November 2013
    New universe on a new server. Call it 'Crash Universe' server. This is the place us degenerates that crash on load of season 8 can still play on the pre-season 8 version. We could be like the lepers of season 8 sector space but at least we could still shoot 'em up.

Season 8 players could still visit us, but only with the fear of contracting the 'crash' disease and not being able to return to season 8 space.

Sorry, not being able to play makes my mind wonder aimlessly..
    edited November 2013
    dpglerch wrote: »
    Hm guess no STO today starting to forget why I play this, I'll check again tomorrow

Have fun all;)

Try after the patch this morning. That's my plan.
    edited November 2013
    New universe on a new server. Call it 'Crash Universe' server. This is the place us degenerates that crash on load of season 8 can still play on the pre-season 8 version. We could be like the lepers of season 8 sector space but at least we could still shoot 'em up.

Season 8 players could still visit us, but only with the fear of contracting the 'crash' disease and not being able to return to season 8 space.

Sorry, not being able to play makes my mind wonder aimlessly..

No need to apologize.
    If they had left Redshirt up, we could have achieved Tier 2 in the Fleet of Lepers by now!
    And that is just the kind of post we need to keep us sane.
    Btw... Congratulations! Your the first contestant for the next annual best post Awards!
    Deceiver's Lair Fleet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daddytrekdaddytrek Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Try after the patch this morning. That's my plan.

My plan too, gotta be worth a shot!
  • holger591973holger591973 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I do not want to disappoint you but if you times the patch notes you would read through, it looks bad for us
  • drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Update for me...
    Rolled back my NVIDIA drivers and am in the game happily playing away.
    Might be worth trying for all you NVIDIA users out there.
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• sch3ff3lsch3ff3l Member Posts: 118 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    kheldryn wrote: »
    You're kidding right? 90% of the games I have bought use Nvidia cards as their primary, I only have 1 other game that uses something different and that was Dawn of War 2 which tried using the ATI Radeons... Nvidia is actually VERY well known and is one of the most supported video cards (Radeon being the other)....as for the Intel.. that I'd agree on. I knew they had a Processor, but not that they tried to dabble in the GFX dept.

sarcasm...
    some have it...
    others dont...

and have reached 500 posts in one thread!!!
    great job guys!!!

besides im gonne test log in on tribble today i read that some people (only one actually) made it to log in on tribble
    9gagger, starfleet captain, bug hunter...

spocked thumb face...
    edited November 2013
    Update for me...

Won't work for me, as updating my GT-630 drivers (yesterday), yielded no different
    results from the previous driver version the day before.
    And you had mentioned in an earlier post, that you did get in the game after Season 8 launch, even if not for very long.
    Sounds like it could certainly help those with similar circumstances,
    or even those who are in the game getting crashes on map changes, though.
    Deceiver's Lair Fleet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • halfpint71kyhalfpint71ky Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Update for me...

So glad thar worked...

just a small point though, when I first couldn't get in game they stated it was possibly driver related. So I checked mine and realized it wasn't updated after I updated I still cannot get in. Your idea is good and could very well work. Just wanted to point out what happened in my case to sa e a few the disappointments should it not work in their case. That said I am planning to try it in case... you just never know what might help!

Thanks for the tip have fun in game!
    Proud Member of the Order of persistence, Chief of Investigations"Persistent Officer"since 11/12/13...:P 600 strong and growing...all phages, vidians, other outcasts welcome, note: all new members BYOC (bring your own chair) please and thank you! Five time winner in 1st and 2nd annual last 500 tied for top 2000 @halfpint71ky
  • captainscott1977captainscott1977 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Glad it worked for you!!

Can you tell us what driver version you rolled back to? I, like others, updated my drivers, but your suggesting rolling back to a previous driver..

Thanks and glad your in game...
  • gedged2gedged2 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Update for me...

This is proof Cryptic won't be supporting NVIDIA any longer. Only the old drivers still work. They can't waste time on small obscure video manufacturers.

Think about it, why do you think they produced a new MAC client? Apple has become very popular and are developing a new video chip with a billion shiny colors, and plays a catchy tune when you open the box. There is a youtube video of an Apple tablet displaying a holographic image coming out of an iTablet. Cryptic is secretly developing a new 3D holographic version of STO that only runs on Apple tablets. The new hip crowd only buy Apple. Small obscure video manufacturers like NVIDIA go the way of the dinosaur. :P
  • captinwh0captinwh0 Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You're kidding right? 90% of the games I have bought use Nvidia cards as their primary, I only have 1 other game that uses something different and that was Dawn of War 2 which tried using the ATI Radeons... Nvidia is actually VERY well known and is one of the most supported video cards (Radeon being the other)....as for the Intel.. that I'd agree on. I knew they had a Processor, but not that they tried to dabble in the GFX dept.

ummm. sarcasm
    nerf.jpg]
  • kheldrynkheldryn Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well... Been awhile since one of us said this, so my turn I guess.. Branflakes, how about another update, have the techs got a lead on a fix yet?

I know I've been grouchy lately, but do appreciate you guys trying to get it fixed ASAP, but like many other getting a bit impatient.

Cheers!

Sorry.. had to do it.. I do get cheered up a little every time Bran does that, even under the current circumstances. :)

Edit: BTW, Any word on "If" those of us affected by this will recieve some kind of compensation for the lost time.. though as a LTS Member I'm not technically loosing anything, same with many other this is happening too, but the Subbers and Silvers really have no such advantage. My only real loss is not getting to play and hang out with the rest of Task Force Draco. But I really did want to play.
    Fleet Admiral Nyte T'challa-United Federation of Planets-Task Force Draco-Tactical
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    "I found a bug in Beta, Cryptic squished it. STO Founder and Proud LTS member."
  • raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well... Been awhile since one of us said this, so my turn I guess.. Branflakes, how about another update, have the techs got a lead on a fix yet?

I know I've been grouchy lately, but do appreciate you guys trying to get it fixed ASAP, but like many other getting a bit impatient.

Cheers!

Sorry.. had to do it.. I do get cheered up a little every time Bran does that, even under the current circumstances. :)

Edit: BTW, Any word on "If" those of us affected by this will recieve some kind of compensation for the lost time.. though as a LTS Member I'm not technically loosing anything, same with many other this is happening too, but the Subbers and Silvers really have no such advantage. My only real loss is not getting to play and hang out with the rest of Task Force Draco. But I really did want to play.

As I said, freebie-pack of 30-40 Lock Box Keys would be nice so we can open up some of those new Voth Lock Boxes. ^_^ I want that Orbital Chasing Beam for my Engineer so I can play Tic-Tac-Toe with enemies. :D That and one of those flight deck cruisers would be fun or Antiproton Beams for my Obelisk Cruiser.

EDIT: But yeah, any updates for us Branflakes?
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • drug2drug2 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited November 2013

I agree brandlakes could we possibly get a lock box ship or some type of ship that was from a reward or something or a lobi ship such as the Advanced Obelisk carrier for losing a day and more I mean I'm back in game on another computer still can't get in on mine but still i lost a day in game
  • forjoatinxanforjoatinxan Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I was off doing other things while the launcher was patching and came back to an error. I wrote a brief description, hit submit, then tried to start the launcher again. It immediately closes.

I managed to grab a screenshot and the error was as follows:

Error Ticket ID: 25996104

I can't click submit or do anything because it closes so fast.

Any suggestions?

**Update**

Tried running the launcher from the STO folder and it works. It does not work from the pinned taskbar icon (will try repining).

Odd. Running verify now... :(

**Second Update**

Non-issue here. Back up after repining. Logs all the way in, but times out on the login server (of course).

-Forjo
    My oldest post (that I can find)
    Former Cryptic User #11424
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Stop the easily abused and unfair auto-silence "feature"!
This discussion has been closed.