test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Season 8] Holodeck crashes on startup (Latest update: Pg. 319, post #3190)

Comments

• Options
    stevencherylstevencheryl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Partial
    Weirdly I played for about 3 hours after patching this morning (9am UK) and got a few graphics issues (white space and blocky ships/NPC's). Other than that, it was a bit laggy but nothing too bad. I noticed the new DX11/DX9 options in the Video menu so I closed the game and made sure all drivers were updated (they weren't) and can't get back in now either. D'oh!

That is weird...and interesting.
    Hopefully it will provide a little more food for thought for the dev's.
    Steve@SCCreations - Fleet General - Persistent Officer Title & Accolade
    Deceiver's Lair Fleet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    smokinssoulmatesmokinssoulmate Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    the patch is requiring the latest updates of Java and directx , adobe and graphics card drivers to be installed. If you files are too out of date this can cause the miss-match. Either that or there is a file corruption it does not make sense for this to be a STO problem as it is not happening to everyone.

Suggest shutting down the computer for 1 minute, start it back up disable any add-on's or any other program you don't need. Try STO if this fails reinstall the game files. during the 10-20 minute wait

go to Java.com adobe.com and your support page for your graphics cards install the latest of each.

then if this still happens open up command prompt run a ping to 208.95.185.44 What is happening is like a phone call, your computer is making a phone call to the login system. You see the inital screens however there is too much of a delay or the line goes dead unfortunately you don't hear a dial tone you get a frozen screen and crash to the desktop.

communication from your computer to the STO server computers through their UDP ports are being interupted.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited November 2013
    NOTE: While we will be doing maintenance tonight, a resolution is not available yet, thus the issue can't be resolved in tonight's patch. I apologize, but I at least wanted to continue keeping you in the loop.

I appreciate your continued patience, and please know that we want to get you back in-game ASAP. It's our top priority, and the team that is able to work on a resolution is working as hard as possible to do so.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    sircandisircandi Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Game crashes as the Character Selection screen is starting to load. Have all game patches and files verified a couple times.

Ticket # 25316319

Hope we get a fix soon. Also would like an extension on the end of the Key sale.

Tex
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I would like to add that I was involved in last months issue that was like this. So I got reasons to be upset, I am just choosing not to and advocating patience to you all. Just be Zen about it and wait. It will be resolved when it is (though I do hope we get something for the trouble we are having to make up for it, 30 Master Keys for all our toons each would be nice).

Anyways, can Branflakes update us on if they at least got an idea on WHAT is causing the problem?
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    NOTE: While we will be doing maintenance tonight, a resolution is not available yet, thus the issue can't be resolved in tonight's patch. I apologize, but I at least wanted to continue keeping you in the loop.

I appreciate your continued patience, and please know that we want to get you back in-game ASAP. It's our top priority, and the team that is able to work on a resolution is working as hard as possible to do so.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Time yet to break out the IV bags of pure Caffeine and pull an all nighter maybe? O_O Play some Mozart while we do so and rewrite the laws of physics while we are at it?
  • Options
    lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, Branflakes, any updates on this issue... I sure love to be able to play...
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • Options
    cenellcenell Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Patch after patch, yet still no solution to this particular problem, so basically what is going on here is all the OTHER problems, the people that already are playing is obviously more important?

Seems to me this partular problem is not only LOW prioroty, despite Brandon's previous statements to placate the few affected but actually may be a delay tactic with no real solution in sight.

Must be a great job to PR the lies.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    cenell wrote: »
    Patch after patch, yet still no solution to this particular problem, so basically what is going on here is all the OTHER problems, the people that already are playing is obviously more important?

Seems to me this partular problem is not only LOW prioroty, despite Brandon's previous statements to placate the few affected but actually may be a delay tactic with no real solution in sight.

Must be a great job to PR the lies.

Have you considered that maybe the reason they are doing patches for other problems is that those are easier to fix and less complicated and hence are being done by other teams faster than ours is because of how complicated it is?
  • Options
    sch3ff3lsch3ff3l Member Posts: 118 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    raventomoe wrote: »
    Have you considered that maybe the reason they are doing patches for other problems is that those are easier to fix and less complicated and hence are being done by other teams faster than ours is because of how complicated it is?

some peopleo just dont realise how messy programming a game is... for 2 bugs you fix 4 more appear...(yeah its just like an Hydra) this crashing, taking the ticket numbers for refference maybe are a bug affecting what... 4,5 different thinks??

just reinforcing the your statements: POST YOURS TICKETS NUMBERS to help them tracking the problem... an optinal for system specs i would say but if you want to put them is just great... more info the better...

and yes guys... patience...this is a real valueble think USE IT!!!
    they WILL fix it no need for Raging and whining...
    :cool:Try go read a a good book, or try out other games meanwhile im doing this IT HELPS A LOT to not get angry:cool:
    9gagger, starfleet captain, bug hunter...

spocked thumb face...
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Exactly! While I'm just as frustrated as everyone else the simple fact is that this issue, judging by the reports in this forum, has no rhyme or reason to it. The fault does not seem OS or hardware or driver based. People with a given system setup are affected while someone with the same setup is not. People have reloaded all the files, no help. An issue like this can be next to impossible to reliably duplicate... which is the first step towards resolving.

As for those who complain that they should have tested more thoroughly... as I said they may have tested it on platforms identical to those on which it is now failing and it worked fine in testing... not too mention that there are just too many combos of hardware and software out there to test on every possible platform. It's entirely possible that the fix may end up requiring a MASSIVE rewrite of the Season 8 patch, itself... and that can't happen overnight. Trust me when I tell you that these guys are working day and night (I'd hate to see the OT that's being paid out on this). These guys and gals aren't seeing much of their families or even the light of day... they're living on coffee and pizza, I'm sure. Yeah, I'm frustrated and annoyed... but let's be patient and chill... if you have any info (things you've tried that didn't help) post 'em. Any info can be helpful in a situation like this.

I've tried re-installing the patch (deleted the Pigg folder, .patch folder and prepatch folder), re-installed DX9 (I'm running XP so DX11 isn't possible), managed to get logged in on my wife's laptop and set Direct X support to auto (that actually got me a little bit farther... the character screen now loads completely before crashing)... so far none if it has resolved the issue.
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited November 2013
    Content Devs, Artists, Etc. can not fix the bug that you are experiencing that is leading to this crash, but they can fix other bugs, and those are what are going out in tomorrow's patch. The team that can work on this issue continues to do so and is working hard as possible on a resolution.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    terrafideterrafide Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I did notice that if i click not to verify files, that it does a quick update. All i can make out is a 1 and Microsoft. Ill try a few more times, maybe i can figure it out a little better after a few more tries. It's very fast so its hard to read

Edit: caught a glimpse of VC10 or something..

Edit 2: It says Mirroring 1: Microsoft.VC80.CRT/Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Content Devs, Artists, Etc. can not fix the bug that you are experiencing that is leading to this crash, but they can fix other bugs, and those are what are going out in tomorrow's patch. The team that can work on this issue continues to do so and is working hard as possible on a resolution.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

As I said people, they got different teams working different problems. The patch we are seeing rolling out tomorrow is from a separate team playing whack-a-mole with the in-game problems.

Our problem is something else entirely so let's all chill. That team will hopefully be able to figure out the problem when they do. Getting mad does nothing.

EDIT: @pwebranflakes> You don't hear enough of this I think but thank you for putting up with us even when we are at our most belligerent and frustrating. I don't think they pay you enough to put up with us sometimes. So from one of us players, I say thanks and keep doing what you do. I will work on my end to foster patience and good vibes for you guys when I can.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thanks, 'Ol vitamin fortified breakfast cereal :P... despite the forumragestorm it's good to hear something... even if it's "we're still searching for a solution" :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

actually im just repeating almost a same phrase from the other two guy in here but yes...
    thank you for keeping us up with this
    is good to hear (actually read) something even a
    "we still searching a resolution"

we here WILL be doing our part as a holed umbrella to try to calm down the ragestorm here

EDIT: in the mean time for the all raging peps here lets read a good book or try out other games...

spocked thumb face...
  • Options
    drug2drug2 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hey i took my files from my pc i play sto on and put them on my grandpas hp standard pc he has no graghics card and a motherboard the size of a laptop in a tower with windows 8.1 and sto played way better on it then it ever did on my pc but for some reason my files work on his pc but when i take them back and try them after running them on the other pc on my machine same problem as before not sure if the problem lies in something on my pc like Teamspeak 3 Injen Client Screencast omatic or what ever But those and others not listed are not on the other pc but they are on mine not sure if this helps but this may be the problem if you guys go back and see my error ids and they match yours and you have what i just said and any of the ones not mentions maybe this is the problem we are having :) hope this helps find a fix to the problem we are having meanwhile i can log on sto when the other pc is not busy and play as much as i want with less lag and much more quality then i had on my pc will check back tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    drug2 wrote: »
    Hey i took my files from my pc i play sto on and put them on my grandpas hp standard pc he has no graghics card and a motherboard the size of a laptop in a tower with windows 8.1 and sto played way better on it then it ever did on my pc but for some reason my files work on his pc but when i take them back and try them after running them on the other pc on my machine same problem as before not sure if the problem lies in something on my pc like Teamspeak 3 Injen Client Screencast omatic or what ever But those and others not listed are not on the other pc but they are on mine not sure if this helps but this may be the problem if you guys go back and see my error ids and they match yours and you have what i just said and any of the ones not mentions maybe this is the problem we are having :) hope this helps find a fix to the problem we are having meanwhile i can log on sto when the other pc is not busy and play as much as i want with less lag and much more quality then i had on my pc will check back tomorrow.

:confused: I almost didnt understand ANYTHING you said...
    it will be good you post to the system spec from the pc you actually play STO ...
    aaand the ticket number... maybe if its the same number of some people here this could be a way for us (other players)to test it

and if i have understand correctly you put the STO files on other pc and then run it without any other program on backgorund???

spocked thumb face...
  • Options
    kirkson2kirkson2 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    could the crashes have anything to do with the mac client coming up today?
    Klingons smell worse than wookies:D
  • Options
    jadensolojadensolo Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    running xp on 2 different pcs, same on both pcs, radeon hd 6450, 3 gb ram, 3.40 ghz processor
    get to the toon selector and crashes
  • Options
    kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    terrafide wrote: »
    I did notice that if i click not to verify files, that it does a quick update. All i can make out is a 1 and Microsoft. Ill try a few more times, maybe i can figure it out a little better after a few more tries. It's very fast so its hard to read

Edit: caught a glimpse of VC10 or something..

Edit 2: It says Mirroring 1: Microsoft.VC80.CRT/Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest

Thats normal. Happens every time bug or no bug.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cmdrbensoncmdrbenson Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ticket number 18897741 same as earlier. I'm done I've been waiting for 24 hrs now and the problem is still not fixed
    Admiral Sash
    Commanding Officer
    Federation One
  • Options
    cenellcenell Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited November 2013

OK, check then, but how do you explain a problem that started on tribble that simply ended up on holodeck in what timespan? two week minimum? ok so, what was easier? wait untill it hits live and causes more problems? so the timeframe that it may have ten to fix would not have been any different? easier? sounds to me like an added complication!
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    Mr Flakes
    I appreciate that every season has bugs and tech difficulties and devs,etc work hard to iron them out.
    I appreciate your cheerfulness and empathy you show us the affected.
    BUT
    saying cheers ( as i understand its to cheer us up) after every statement dimishes the cheerfulness i feel because it feels like more standard Cr*p from Cryptic
    there are other ways to sign off

For example
    With regard
    We are trying our hardest
    We will fix your game Soon (tm)
    Have patience
    Sorry for your problems and we will try to fix them

Salutations
    Cien Fuegos

P.S.(postscripted)
    The release notes for Nov 14 are out already and you already determined we are still going to have problems?
    heck of a fortune teller Mr flakes
    eneral:

Resolved an issue which was causing maps to crash such as the Allied and Contested zones.
    Some players are experiencing a crash during the loading screen. As this is a separate issue from the above, we will continue to work on a resolution for that and will note it in patch notes once one is available.
    Resolved an issue where mail could not be deleted.
    Resolved an issue where weapons were incorrectly applying debuffs to their owners when they returned weapon power to their owners.
    The bank, mail, and exchange consoles can now be interacted with by more than 1 player in Dyson Joint Command.
    Allied Zone:
    "Eating Our Mines" Found mission: Resolved an issue where players on other teams could destroy the ships, blocking mission progression.
    Ships can now be re-summoned if destroyed by other players.
    Federation Tutorial:
    Klingons will now spawn for all players in the class specific rooms in the Federation tutorial.
    Federation captains who skip the new tutorial are now rewarded the correct amount of XP.
    Resolved an issue where the Core at the end of the Breach would flicker when being destroyed.
    Resolved the issue where UNTRANSLATED text messages appeared in the Exchange.
    Resolved the issue where skirts were clipping into the waist.
    Resolved an issue where some of Worf's VO was missing from Sphere of Influence.

Known Issues:

Some players are experiencing a crash during the loading screen. We are continuing to work on a resolution and will note it in patch notes once one is available.
    Foundry: The Clear button for Custom Foundry search does not clear tag selections.
    The 7th costume of a captain cannot be accessed.
    The Romulan EV suit light is in the wrong spot.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    this is from the Patch forum

Known Issues:

Some players are experiencing a crash during the loading screen. We are continuing to work on a resolution and will note it in patch notes once one is available.
    Foundry: The Clear button for Custom Foundry search does not clear tag selections.
    The 7th costume of a captain cannot be accessed.
    The Romulan EV suit light is in the wrong spot.

Will note in patch once one is available.......... Come on really
    Admiral Sash
    Commanding Officer
    Federation One
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Just keep us in the loop, Bran, that's all most of us are asking.
    Time yet to break out the IV bags of pure Caffeine and pull an all nighter maybe? O_O Play some Mozart while we do so and rewrite the laws of physics while we are at it?

Some Scots engineer asked me to pass along a message, something about 'Ye cannae change th' laws o' physics!"
    kirkson2 wrote: »
    Mr Flakes
    I appreciate that every season has bugs and tech difficulties and devs,etc work hard to iron them out.
    I appreciate your cheerfulness and empathy you show us the affected.
    BUT
    saying cheers ( as i understand its to cheer us up) after every statement dimishes the cheerfulness i feel because it feels like more standard Cr*p from Cryptic
    there are other ways to sign off

For example
    With regard
    We are trying our hardest
    We will fix your game Soon (tm)
    Have patience
    Sorry for your problems and we will try to fix them

Salutations
    Cien Fuegos

Probably just his standard signature for the forums, like my Yeager-type thing, it has nothing to do with the problem or customer service or anything.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    fair enough but just asking never hurts to ask :D
  • Options
    daywalkerhawkdaywalkerhawk Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    maybe its a Problem with nvidia Cards? friend of mine can play because he has an ATI Card, some People here stated that they can play on Laptp/ older PC with Shared Cards, that are most of the time not nvidia cards.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Id accept it was nvdia cards if it didnt happen every season
    no this is just the whack a mole bug
    devs will struggle and in about friday they will fix it OR ppl will finish new stuff get bored and leave and server will go back to normal,,,,
    Sam typical thing same typical bug
    every season the ghost of trouble past comes back and F's with us and our computer

On a note two can season reruns be made 1 or 2 days longer? i just lost 15 lobi crystals and if problem isnt fixed tommorrow i will lose another 15 lobi crystals
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I have an older laptop and yet I can't play
    Admiral Sash
    Commanding Officer
    Federation One
This discussion has been closed.