test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Remember when this game use to be Star Trek?

Comments

• Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I do :(

I'm not 100% on board with what is coming with the Voth release. I'm all for the Voth, but I'm not sure the direction they have taken with the Voth is thematic with Star Trek. From their creation of the costuming, the dino's, and other things.

I also like the idea of the Dyson's sphere, but I'm worried they can't keep it thematic with Star Trek. I wish they would have used the one the Enterprise-D found, that one, IMO, would have felt more immerse. It was an already known sphere from the show, and having it in this game would have given us the chance to explore it in a way we didn't get to see on the show, it'd show us what was down on that surface.

Season 8 is making me think that Cryptic, or PWE, wants to downgrade Star Trek Online into a "General SCIFI" type of MMO, loosely based on Star Trek. I'm getting that worrying feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I look at Season 8 so far and think "Mass Effect" or "Halo", not Star Trek. And that's not a good thing. Imagine how people on the outside, who have never played the game before, are looking at it.

Plus, there are so many unfinished things in STO, and parts of the game that need a big overhaul first, before introducing a completely new thing like this into the game that was only seen in one episode of Voyager, and a sphere that is completely made up and never seen in the show.

I would like the Star Trek to come back to Star Trek Online please.

Thanks,
    A Loyal Lifetime Fan since Open Beta

I hope you are not one of those on board with the Disco Ball.

Things like that are what perpetrate the slide from an intellectual game to a kiddy park ride.

"Once upon the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."
  • Options
    admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,560 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My two cents.

Starting with the connie. while yes she could still be used in the 25th century like KTinga the question becomes why? For KDF the don't inovate as much as the Fed. if a design works then that's that. and they will update as nessecary. or design a new ship when there's need. Fed on the other is always trying new things. as such they have newer designs that do the job better than a connie.

The Romulans. I personally think Cryptic made and error here by making them an ally faction of either Fed or KDF. they should have made the choice. Star Empire or Republic and be a true third faction.

The Voth, in my mind from what i know of the episode and simlar but different than the Gorn. They are probably territorurial and have a military for that. but NOT warlike. The Voth do explore but prefer doing so unseen. the whole issue in that episode was the fact that Their Doctrine was proven false but the current government USED Doctrine to rule. if the people questioned that, they can easily question why their leaders lead them. In the end it was all about power. I have no problem with the Voth being in STo, just wonder why they be an issue now. the biggest problem id the T-Rex with Freaking lasers when ther was absolutely no sign of them in that episode.

The key thing is this. Cryptic ignore's the players requests about bugs and other problems and release crappy stuff. Example: Fans want the galaxy to be good again, not the best but good as well as more of the canon ships like New Orleans and such. Instead we have the Avenger, another UGLY cryptic design that makes the Regent look good. or the KDf players wanting more ships and a KDF ship shelved for a Voth ship that NO ONE asked for.

People also want ot see story progression. By this point it is clear that the Iconians have started everything. so why are the Fed and KDF still fighting? They should be back to pre Undiscovered Country relations where they are at peace but not allies. And both working together to combat the threat of the Iconians.

so instead of new content that either no one asked for, makes the game less trek, or just poorly design. Fix the issues the players want fixed.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    At this point, you are arguing semantics and, quite frankly, you are the only one in this thread that can't see the religious and creationist dogma undertones of the episode.
    Actually.... there's several ways you could interpret Voth dogma. Since(as Kortaag points out incessantly) the Voth don't have any sort of deities(not that real life religions actually NEED deities, some don't have them), you could argue that Voth dogma is as much a caricature of organized atheism. The dogma was written down so long ago that most of the Voth probably don't know who wrote it down. Yet to not follow it means becoming a second class citizen or slave....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I see a lot of star trek in here, but I also see things that could be star trek that were simply never touched on in any series, or maybe they were briefly mentioned and never heard from again. There are many space faring species in the show. And movies that aren't even in the game yet, and the same is true for the ones that were never really part of the show. There are many things thaty the show didn't really get in to that the game is capatilizing on, and bringing forth to add more depth to everything we do. For me, DS9 wouldn't really be consideed star trek, because they didn't really trek, they sat in space most of the time in 1 spot. But voyager brought along new possibilities. A divided crew, for instance. They don't really see eye to eye, but they have the same goal throughout most of the series, to get home. Voyager brought along a few of the tougher species in the game, such as the hirogens. And let's not forget the beginning of everything from enterprise. The andorians and their ships came into their own in that series, though I wouldve liked to see some more of the enterprise-j. The things that kind of take away from the game for me have more to do with ground based combat than anything in space.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I hope you are not one of those on board with the Disco Ball.

i saw one of them last night for the first time on ESD and i was like WTF is this TRIBBLE looks like something comes from that show care bears
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I sometimes think that the people in charge of game developement and design are to young to remember TOS or TNG or do remember them but didnt watch the shows or were not that of big fans of it. They took this job for what it is. A job. They may be focused on making a good product but you can tell they dont like or understand Star Trek that much. I can see there are some on the team that love it and try to keep a trek feel to the game but when leadership hands down something like Dinobots to them they just have to smile and do thier best.
  • Options
    lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My two cents.

Starting with the connie. while yes she could still be used in the 25th century like KTinga the question becomes why? For KDF the don't inovate as much as the Fed. if a design works then that's that. and they will update as nessecary. or design a new ship when there's need. Fed on the other is always trying new things. as such they have newer designs that do the job better than a connie.

And yet the Federation still has the Excelsior...

The Romulans. I personally think Cryptic made and error here by making them an ally faction of either Fed or KDF. they should have made the choice. Star Empire or Republic and be a true third faction.

I agree

The Voth, in my mind from what i know of the episode and simlar but different than the Gorn. They are probably territorurial and have a military for that. but NOT warlike. The Voth do explore but prefer doing so unseen. the whole issue in that episode was the fact that Their Doctrine was proven false but the current government USED Doctrine to rule. if the people questioned that, they can easily question why their leaders lead them. In the end it was all about power. I have no problem with the Voth being in STo, just wonder why they be an issue now. the biggest problem id the T-Rex with Freaking lasers when ther was absolutely no sign of them in that episode.

So what if they weren't in that episode. We have lots of stuff in game that aren't from the episodes. Why is T-Rex with lasers this such a big deal? (Outside of being a bit silly)

The key thing is this. Cryptic ignore's the players requests about bugs and other problems and release crappy stuff. Example: Fans want the galaxy to be good again, not the best but good as well as more of the canon ships like New Orleans and such. Instead we have the Avenger, another UGLY cryptic design that makes the Regent look good. or the KDf players wanting more ships and a KDF ship shelved for a Voth ship that NO ONE asked for.

Eye of the beholder guy; I like the Avenger, and seeing the amount of them I've seen in game, so do tons of other people.

People also want ot see story progression. By this point it is clear that the Iconians have started everything. so why are the Fed and KDF still fighting? They should be back to pre Undiscovered Country relations where they are at peace but not allies. And both working together to combat the threat of the Iconians.

I agree

so instead of new content that either no one asked for, makes the game less trek, or just poorly design. Fix the issues the players want fixed.

First, define "what is Trek" if you can, without making it sound like your definition should be the one and only. Second, from what I understand people voted for Voyager content. Third, I agree about the bug fixes.

My responses in blue
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Unless I missed it I don't believe anyone was arguing the Voth worshipped any kind of Deity(ies), only that their only that their Doctrine is the compilation of their religious/spiritual beliefs.

As to if they are Atheists, Atheism is accepted within some religious and spiritual belief systems, including Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, Raelism, Neopagan movements and something similar is well within the realm of possibility of the Voth's religious Doctrine.
    Quite true. :D I was merely expounding on the allegorical aspects of the Voth, and not on whether they were religious or not.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Nope never thought it was like Star Trek in canon just space game that looked like it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    My responses in blue

I'll explain Excel. One. She miranda, and Oberth are the most produce classes in fleet history. The excel was launch is about 2280 and was the premier ship till about 2340. that's quite a few decades there where she was top gun. Also do to the fact she was made for transwarp speeds she has a strong hull and easily refitable. We Saw with the lakota refit she can be made on par with a Defiant class. so she still has use. In honest opinion the stock Excel should be where the Refit connie is in game. And likely if STO was closer to cannon she would be in her final years.

I have no problem with the Voth being in. just how they are being protrayed. sorry dinos with freaking lasers is a fail on the devs.
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'll explain Excel. One. She miranda, and Oberth are the most produce classes in fleet history. The excel was launch is about 2280 and was the premier ship till about 2340. that's quite a few decades there where she was top gun. Also do to the fact she was made for transwarp speeds she has a strong hull and easily refitable. We Saw with the lakota refit she can be made on par with a Defiant class. so she still has use. In honest opinion the stock Excel should be where the Refit connie is in game. And likely if STO was closer to cannon she would be in her final years.

I have no problem with the Voth being in. just how they are being protrayed. sorry dinos with freaking lasers is a fail on the devs.

I agree with pretty much all you had to say but I also highlighted the main thing I HEAVILY agree with.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »

OMG, STO is becoming Austin Powers. First disco ball now Dinos with Freaking lasers
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited October 2013
    Good to see this conversation keeps going in circles. I think those people who are fans of the space dinos and mech warrior ... and all other random TRIBBLE ... will find any justification to support this action. By their logic, if there is some fictional character, setting or creature that they want ... they wanted it in this game somehow. The genre and setting of this game be damned.

At that point it will no longer be Star Trek but an amalgamation of random pop culture content. It is almost like a parody of itself. If this was Lord of the Rings Online ... and those devs ran out of idea ... would you like for fans to suddenly bring in the Titans and Cyclops from Greek mythology to fill in the gaps. What about aliens who want to enslave the dwarves so they can build pyramid monuments to themselves? Weird suggestions I know but it is the same concept.

The devs don't know what to do and need new random things that they can use to bring people in and monetize via lock box and c-store. That's fine if they would stick to Star Trek themes and settings. Dinos with lasers on their heads is just too jarring. The sad part is that there is already so much to build on:

1) Iconian ... been teasing this one for years
    2) Undine ... perfect foes for brand NEW STFs
    3) Dominion ... or True Way
    4) Mirror Universe ... lots of campy fun and weird possibilities
    5) Tholians ... more weird possibilities and maybe a tie-in with Iconians
    6) New Romulas ... again tie in with Iconians and Tholians ... expand on the theme park and add more stories
    7) Klingons ... need I say more on this one?

So many ways to go and we get space dinos and T'rex with freakin' lasers. I will enjoy what's left of trek but I am done spending money on this game. To each their own I guess.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I appreciate your effort. It's a shame someone else didn't use Atheism as a counter-argument instead of destroying his credibility dismissive denial and insults.
    I wasn't even using it as a counter argument. I was simply pointing out that there was a third aspect of the topic that hadn't been discussed.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This game is still about Star Trek.

It just isn't about being preached at by a writer about their personal interpretation of idealistic morals and politics.

It is set in the Star Trek world, and frankly caters to more mainstream interests, and, yes, wish fulfillment. There are probably very few people, even the most ardent fans who stick to the Roddenberry canon, who in their childhood, fantasized about managing to broker trade agreements between the Federation and Klingons with a 6 month diplomatic mission. They were probably more likely to fantasize about how they would manage to show up to Wolf 359 in just the nick of time and one-shot the Borg Cube. Roddenberry himself, IIRC, did not want to get into aspects such as espionage, and probably nothing to do with politics that didn't help him prove some point of his. As we can see from the multitude of different explored cultures - often started by fans - many did not share his view.

In truth, while Roddenberry was the figurehead, Star Trek as we know it was the work of hundreds of people, even in the TOS days. As such there are many, many different ways to interpret it. However, there are a lot of people who seem to want this game to either preach at you, be click-through diplomacy missions with phasers only fired once every two months or so, or be Sim City in space, adhering to a lofty ideal of Roddenberry's Trek that never really was. I wouldn't find that very interesting, and I doubt that many others would, either.

As an additional note - I am hard pressed to find any time wherein the game was "about Star Trek" any more than it is now. Truth be told, I've heard from many about how this game was golden and how recent things have "ruined it." This is strange, as when I started in January 2012 I was hearing about how the game was so horrible. I believe the same kind of reminiscing-to-one's-own-preferences tends to be surfacing on STO much as it does with Star Trek in general.
  • Options
    drtassadardrtassadar Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Gods, people sure do like to ***** these days. I blame the internet. Who says freedom of speech is a good thing? Just shut up and play the game.
    "That was not Mozart laughing, Father... that was God. That was God laughing at me, through that... through that obscene giggle."
  • Options
    natthaannatthaan Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Here is what I think
    If you don't like laser eyes Dino don't fight laser eye Dino no one is saying you have to play the new missions
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    And people like you will use any excuse to make empty threats about how your not going to spend any more money, when in fact you'll keep playing and the next time you see something you just gotta have you'll be forgetting your threat and buying it as soon as possible.

Since the game is F2P and they provide in game means to buy everything in the C-Store for free you are probably already spending as little as possible on the game.

Just because we feel they should earn the money we give them doesn't mean you can bash us. All we ask is simple. fix what's wrong with the game. it might take several patches to do it but even some improvement is good. but what we see is new toys, and crappy ideas. and SINCE it's F2P I may stay around but less and less likley to ever give real cash to these clowns and grind for the stuff I FEEL WORTH IT. THe dime i spent here was for the Scimitar for THAT was worth it. rarley they get something right. But i like to see that happen more. Come on dude. Dinos with lasers on head. that is on the top of the lame chart for scifi and you know it.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    drtassadar wrote: »
    Gods, people sure do like to ***** these days. I blame the internet. Who says freedom of speech is a good thing? Just shut up and play the game.

Private forum, sir. There's no freedom of speech here.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This thing on Tribble, or Redshirt yet? I want to see what it's about, before the rest of the hysterics, and hyperbole.
  • Options
    mxduke1mxduke1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ya, what he said
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You now, the continuation of this thread reminds me of a sad sad fact...

The Star Trek Fandom, ironically, harbors some of the most ignorant, aggressive, close minded and quite well the most fanatic People I've ever seen besides some Nutjobs at "Religious" Events...

You know... all that IDIC TRIBBLE? Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations?

In the Star Trek Fandom, as soon as something is not exactly as it was portayed in one or two episodes (and lets face it, all rules, moralities and ethics lasted either only for that exact episode or for one more if the former episode was referenced somehow, if we were lucky and they just didn't ignored the outcome!) people literally scream Murder and manslaughter and play the part of the "Betrayed Maiden"...

You can pick any topic that is not a rehash of an old episode and see the same behaviour, but for the actuality just look at this thread, both threads about tanks (but surprisingly, you all are very calm about Battle Mechs...), usually every Thread about something like "Where are MACOs/Starfleet Marines" etc. or literally anything that has something as a topic that was not shown on-screen...

Everywhere you have all these people screaming "THIS IS NOT STAR TREK!!!!!" and its variations and it saddens me...
    You people should be the most enlightend and open minded people on this effing Planet but you act like the friggin Catholic Church (only referenced due to cultural bias on my part coming from a christian country) during its most powerful days! Treating the almost non existent coherence of the Canon as unfallible facts, ignoring that it is sometimes SO self-contradictory that it hurts (or to keep the Bible references in tact, look at how TNG just completely ignored TOS like the New Testament completely ignored the Old) just picking out whatever suits you and disregarding the Rest (Face it, Paris and Janeway are gorram Parents of some lovely Newt Babies!) and even completely ignoring logic and common sense, because at 23:15,05 in S08E16 you could see a glimpse of X.

Ever so often screaming at the top of your lungs "This is not like it was in the Scripture therefore it is an abomination and has to be eradicated!"

Quite frankly... I do not understand how this could have happend... Preaching Tolerance, Open-Mindedness, progression, peace... but acting SO different...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh, like the shows were that much better about practicing what they preached?

The Organians and Baku lived simple lives, so they 'had' to be backwards and the Federation (and Klingons, in the case of Organia) therefore had the rights to interfere in their lives... until it was discovered that in both cases it was simply because that was their choice and they were actually more advanced than the Federation when they wanted to be.

The Exocomps 'had' to be just machines, because they had been built and were being used as just machines... until another machine - recognised by the Federation as a sentient being - refused to go along with everyone else in just accepting that 'fact'. Oh, wait, they turned out to have free will to make their own decisions including the ability for one of them to decide to sacrifice itself for the other two, Geordi and Picard, proving Data right all along.

The Maquis were Federation citizens and would be all too glad to do whatever the Federation told them to do... except, as Sisko put it, the Maquis did not live in 'paradise' like Starfleet Headquarters did.

Let's not forget the Treaty of Algeron, 'The Federation shall not develop, nor equip on any Starfleet vessel, a cloaking device" - U.S.S. Pegasus, they tried to bend it with an 'Interphasic Cloak', U.S.S. Defiant was only supposed to operate its Romulan-gifted cloak in the Gamma Quadrant with a Romulan observer; that lasted precisely one episode before the observer disappeared completely and they were using it about every time they left the station.

And those are just the examples that come to mind immediately.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    this isn't star trek online anyway, so they can add whatever they want. ferengi trek online would be more accurate. starfleet promotes corruption and bribery, klingons and romulans are the same. the only thing that makes this remotely resemble star trek is races and ship models.

at some point, S7 to be precise...ferengi took over both factions, and later the romulans as well. greed rules supreme. so whatever cryptic adds/does etc, no longer matters as this is no longer roddenberry's, the tv shows, the movies, or even J.J's star trek.
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    saekiith wrote: »
    You now, the continuation of this thread reminds me of a sad sad fact...

The Star Trek Fandom, ironically, harbors some of the most ignorant, aggressive, close minded and quite well the most fanatic People I've ever seen besides some Nutjobs at "Religious" Events...

You know... all that IDIC TRIBBLE? Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations?

In the Star Trek Fandom, as soon as something is not exactly as it was portayed in one or two episodes (and lets face it, all rules, moralities and ethics lasted either only for that exact episode or for one more if the former episode was referenced somehow, if we were lucky and they just didn't ignored the outcome!) people literally scream Murder and manslaughter and play the part of the "Betrayed Maiden"...

You can pick any topic that is not a rehash of an old episode and see the same behaviour, but for the actuality just look at this thread, both threads about tanks (but surprisingly, you all are very calm about Battle Mechs...), usually every Thread about something like "Where are MACOs/Starfleet Marines" etc. or literally anything that has something as a topic that was not shown on-screen...

Everywhere you have all these people screaming "THIS IS NOT STAR TREK!!!!!" and its variations and it saddens me...
    You people should be the most enlightend and open minded people on this effing Planet but you act like the friggin Catholic Church (only referenced due to cultural bias on my part coming from a christian country) during its most powerful days! Treating the almost non existent coherence of the Canon as unfallible facts, ignoring that it is sometimes SO self-contradictory that it hurts (or to keep the Bible references in tact, look at how TNG just completely ignored TOS like the New Testament completely ignored the Old) just picking out whatever suits you and disregarding the Rest (Face it, Paris and Janeway are gorram Parents of some lovely Newt Babies!) and even completely ignoring logic and common sense, because at 23:15,05 in S08E16 you could see a glimpse of X.

Ever so often screaming at the top of your lungs "This is not like it was in the Scripture therefore it is an abomination and has to be eradicated!"

Quite frankly... I do not understand how this could have happend... Preaching Tolerance, Open-Mindedness, progression, peace... but acting SO different...

I think frankly we got screwed by JJ Wreck so the4 old saying, Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me. And while many fans have chosen to ignore the lockbox ships for game reaons the dinos with lasers crosses a line. For many that shows that the devs are useless for this is a classic scifi scrapping bottom of barell. AGAIN the issue isn't really the Voth coming in, it's how they are being portayed is and issue and the up coming pet. But also AGAIN many feel it would be better to adress issues with the game BEFORE bring them in.
  • Options
    lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think frankly we got screwed by JJ Wreck .

Ironically you just proved saekiith's point with that tidbit.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    No, we didn't get screwed by J.J. Abrams. If anything, he has given Star Trek a much needed shot in the arm. He performed some serious CPR on a dead cash cow that fandom and bad writers helped kill, and saved it. Star Trek is hot and back into the mainstream again (which is where the money is). Abrams saved the franchise from another "dark age" like it suffered in the 1970s, when it was just another over the top '60s science fiction show with a small cult following.

And for the record, contrary to what Trekkies may think, Star Trek isn't some grand vision about a better tomorrow. Or some deep, serious exploration of the Human condition. It's a cheesy science fiction franchise created by a guy who was out to make a buck in television, that by chance became a pop culture icon.

People need to stop making Star Trek into something it isn't. The people who were involved in the show had to hype it up with pretentious moonbattery to sell it to the edgy types and utopians in nerdom. But the philosophical tangents were shallow at best. And downright stupid at worst, due to bad writing.

That's because, at it's heart, Star Trek is entertainment and so-called "beer and pretzels" science fiction. It's action adventure about space ships, ray guns, exotic planets, studly heroes, and hot broads in hot space suits (or barely anything at all). It has fist fights and pew pew. Kirk always banged the green chicks and Picard chased by horny space MILFS. It's good fun with the usual television drama thrown in to keep it from being completely silly.

Sure, I'm not crazy about dinosaurs with frickin' lasers on their heads being in the game. But that has more to do with what I see as the silliness of it, rather than any notions of what is, or is not, Star Trek. And the issue I have with the powered suits (they are not Battlemechs, people) are related to what I see as potential problems with game play. But as I said before, if it puts food on the devs tables and pays the bills, then go for it. People have got to make a living, you know.

People need to lighten up, and put away the torches and pitchforks. It's one thing to dislike something and speak out about it. It's another to act like Cryptic Studios r@ped your childhood. If one doesn't like the content, then don't play it. Simple as that.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think frankly we got screwed by JJ Wreck so the4 old saying, Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me. And while many fans have chosen to ignore the lockbox ships for game reaons the dinos with lasers crosses a line. For many that shows that the devs are useless for this is a classic scifi scrapping bottom of barell. AGAIN the issue isn't really the Voth coming in, it's how they are being portayed is and issue and the up coming pet. But also AGAIN many feel it would be better to adress issues with the game BEFORE bring them in.

and again, this is personal opinion.

many feel that the dinos do not cross the line.
    many dont have a problem with how the voth are portrayed
    and again many feel its fine to have them in even with issues still be to addressed.

so what we are left with is some people like it, and some people dont.

instead of insulting the devs as useless because they added something that you personally dont like or agree with, maybe accept that they did something you did not like and try to enjoy it and hope the next update is more to your taste.
  • Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    No, I don't remember when this game used to be Star Trek. It's always been all about the PewPew.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.