test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Remember when this game use to be Star Trek?

thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
I do :(

I'm not 100% on board with what is coming with the Voth release. I'm all for the Voth, but I'm not sure the direction they have taken with the Voth is thematic with Star Trek. From their creation of the costuming, the dino's, and other things.

I also like the idea of the Dyson's sphere, but I'm worried they can't keep it thematic with Star Trek. I wish they would have used the one the Enterprise-D found, that one, IMO, would have felt more immerse. It was an already known sphere from the show, and having it in this game would have given us the chance to explore it in a way we didn't get to see on the show, it'd show us what was down on that surface.

Season 8 is making me think that Cryptic, or PWE, wants to downgrade Star Trek Online into a "General SCIFI" type of MMO, loosely based on Star Trek. I'm getting that worrying feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I look at Season 8 so far and think "Mass Effect" or "Halo", not Star Trek. And that's not a good thing. Imagine how people on the outside, who have never played the game before, are looking at it.

Plus, there are so many unfinished things in STO, and parts of the game that need a big overhaul first, before introducing a completely new thing like this into the game that was only seen in one episode of Voyager, and a sphere that is completely made up and never seen in the show.

I would like the Star Trek to come back to Star Trek Online please.

Thanks,
A Loyal Lifetime Fan since Open Beta
Post edited by thedoctorbluebox on

Comments

• saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Star in the Jenolan Sphere was highly unstable and due to go boom, it was the premise of the episode that even the Enterprise needed to get the hell out of that Sphere to not get roasted and the door to it was most likely damaged by the Enterprises Escape... so... nope not a good choice...

It helps actually re-watching the episodes you want to talk about...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think its star trek. I applaud them for for branching out and showing us things we have not seen before. You know that boldly going where no one has gone before thing?

Seriously, people used to complain that DS9 was not star trek because it was set on a space station, or voyager was not trek because there was no federation and the crew were all at odds with each other. people just get attached to what they know and change scares them. they got over it.

what differences does it make that it was not set inside the one from TNG? How does it actually make anything more trek? its still a dyson sphere. we saw next to nothing of that sphere's interior. its not like we know the exact appearance as we never got that close to see so how does it affect your immersion that you are in one sphere you know nothing about instead of the other sphere you know nothing about? if we saw it in great detail, and the new sphere looked totally different then i would argue that's not what people want, but getting something new should never be considered a bad thing.

star trek fans should be the most open fans to change. seeing new things, even if it seems weird and outrageous yet so many seem to be stuck in only wanting what they know. it seems totally counter to the whole point of trek in the first place.
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When would that have been? When the Federation consisted of legions of liberated mirror universe Borg? When 99% of conflicts were solved by blowing up ships with thousands of crew? When the KDF allowed Orion girls in skimpy clothes in officer positions? When ESD was the central hub for Jem'hadar, Tholian, Breen, Romulan, borgified Romulan, Ferengi and Cardassian ships? When did the game fulfill your expectation of what Star Trek is, and why does it stop now?
    saekiith wrote: »
    The Star in the Jenolan Sphere was highly unstable and due to go boom, it was the premise of the episode that even the Enterprise needed to get the hell out of that Sphere to not get roasted and the door to it was most likely damaged by the Enterprises Escape... so... nope not a good choice...

It helps actually re-watching the episodes you want to talk about...

Quoted for truth.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think they are trying to dumb down this game to a general "SCIFI MMO", rather than pure Star Trek, IMO. It just seems that way, that's the vibe I get lately.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think they are trying to dumb down this game to a general "SCIFI MMO", rather than pure Star Trek, IMO. It just seems that way, that's the vibe I get lately.

whether people like the format or not, it IS an MMO and has to follow certain MMO rules. If the game was single player it would be vastly different. in the same way the elite force has to follow FPS rules and and armada has to follow RTS rules.

but with 47 years of history star trek has just about covered everything in the world of sci-fi. What is dumbed down, or generic sci-fi because star trek has covered so much ground over the years that everything introduced was general sc-fi at one point or another. then people watched the episodes a hundred times and it becomes trek to them.

If you gave gene the budget back in the 60's and a decent script he would have worked dinosaurs into an episode at the first chance he got. he worked everything else regardless of how silly it first seemed. then people would be screaming for dinosaurs because it was seen in on screen.

This is a franchise that has an omnipotent being that can do anything. its only not trek, until it is.
  • talajtalaj Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The premise of Star Trek has always been the vast versatility inherent in the great unknown that is outer space. If you look at episodes from any of the shows from TOS to Voyager, there's a great diversity of species, technology, etc - and you're always left with the notion that what the individual crews come across is only scratching the surface of galactic diversity.

The upcoming introduction of the Voth might not have that "canon" feel to you, but honestly the amount of information we garner about the Voth leaves one hell of a lot open to artistic interpretation. As it stands, from what I've seen so far it looks like we're getting a nice breakaway from what we've been confronted with to date - and that's really the essence of Star Trek to me. The Dyson Sphere is the same deal; it's theoretical and whilst there's a general idea of what it might be like - and we all have our own ideas on the matter - ultimately it's up to the development team to bring their concept of it to life for us.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This game never stop being Star Trek just because you do not agree with its direction.
    edited October 2013

It would be nice for everyone involved (even the devs) if you could explain why you get that vibe. Everything that has been released in the last months is Star Trek. Romulans, Klingon content with Alexander, the Tal Shiar ships (unfortunately Abrams TRIBBLE is Star Trek too), the Silent Enemy from Enterprise. Now they'll add Voth from Voyager, a Dyson Sphere (yeah, sorry TNG wrecked the one it had). Okay, they expand the Voth with armored sci-fi dinosaurs, and I'm one of the first to make fun of Star T-Rex Online, but that's a bit of good-natured fun. Hey, my tacs will get to drop-kick a frickin' T-Rex. Kirk eat your heart out with you puny Gorn captain.:D
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • skhcskhc Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When would that have been? When the Federation consisted of legions of liberated mirror universe Borg? When 99% of conflicts were solved by blowing up ships with thousands of crew? When the KDF allowed Orion girls in skimpy clothes in officer positions? When ESD was the central hub for Jem'hadar, Tholian, Breen, Romulan, borgified Romulan, Ferengi and Cardassian ships? When did the game fulfill your expectation of what Star Trek is, and why does it stop now?

I agree with this in the sense that the game was never particularly Trek like in terms of its combat focus (because they need people to play it), and the lockbox ships (because they need money). But at the same time, I can see how someone would conclude that an armoured T-Rex with laser cannons is jumping the shark a bit more than flying a captured enemy vessel that was already featured in the series.

Y'see when it comes to lockbox ships, you have to remember one thing - within the 'storyline' of STO (as unfocused as it has become), there is only one player*. Every player is the person who killed Hakeev within the storyline, for example. So there's only, within the concept of the storyline, one Vice Admiral or Lieutenant General flying around stolen/borrowed/otherwise obtained enemy faction ship. But dino-lasers are going to be part of the storyline. That's different types of suspension of disbelief, and maybe one is okay for some people and the other isn't.

Now I personally don't have a strong opinion on it either way. I'm honestly more bothered by the fact that it seems necessary to have new threats keep appearing and have the Federation and Klingons fight everyone in the Galaxy, whilst routinely allying with the people they're supposed to be fighting - ie. each other. Whether or not that is or isn't 'un-trek' or the game was or wasn't 'un-trek' before the Voth cropped up, it's just increasingly ridiculous and makes it look like they have no clue how to progress the Iconian/Elachi, Romulan or Tholian arcs. I'd rather have the storyline follow up existing enemies than make up new ones. The fact that the new enemy does or doesn't have armoured dinosaurs doesn't enter the equation for me.

*Yes, you can have 5 or 20 in one mission, but none of these have storylines.
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This game is Star Trek, but is set on a crazy alternative universe where some things went really, really wrong.

I want to believe, that in the Prime Universe, the "real" Enterprise is still exploring the universe, and my character that just graduated from the academy is still a ensign in some ship in an current survey mission of a nebula.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I dispel this whole notion of the T-Rex with lasers jumping the shark so to speak. It is within the expanded universe of have a reptile species.

-Gorn, Check
    -Pahkwa-thanh, Check

a Species that has Technology grafted on it's body?

--Borg, Check
    --Choblik, Check

I find these upgrades to the game easier to swallow then a pale faced Khan any-day.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I got nothing more on this subject so here's a Baby eating a cat
    GwaoHAD.png
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The big issue here is not once on any episode have you seen any race using such huge beasts of burden with advanced weapons like these, nor have you seen them using mech warrior type armor or machines (not even the borg). So it seems no script writer until now has conceived to use such outlandish over the top ideas as to put this in canon terms. And it would have probably seemed to have been best not to also!!!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The big issue here is not once on any episode have you seen any race using such huge beasts of burden with advanced weapons like these, nor have you seen them using mech warrior type armor or machines (not even the borg). So it seems no script writer until now has conceived to use such outlandish over the top ideas as to put this in canon terms. And it would have probably seemed to have been best not to also!!!

There is a lot of stuff we did not see because of budget reason....pretty sure the Klignons would have A lot more beasts if they had the funding for it.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • aiden089aiden089 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    People need to remember this is not a Star Trek TV show.

Season 8 will have dinosaurs, not everyones cup of tea but at least it is something new that seems to follow in the evolutionary curve of the Voth.

I for one think the Devs have done a great job recently. Bring on Season 8.
    Nedya.png
    edited October 2013

Correction to my own post, I do believe that I read a book on some culture using space going creature as the basis for their ship's. The creature had the ability to travel at warp speed or at least survive doing so, while the humanoid culture would mount sub-light engines and an encapsulated piloting facility to the creature's backs. But this was one of those books like some shows that make me go "Really". I have always been more of the type that thought of canon as having more to do with humanoid species or creatures more believable than some put on film or books. But needless to say you still never hear or see about armored mech style warfare in any of the trek franchise that I am aware of!!! An using such dangerous beasts like dinos would be detrimental to ones own welfare if it decides you are a tasty snack!!! :eek:

edited October 2013
    skhc wrote: »
    Y'see when it comes to lockbox ships, you have to remember one thing - within the 'storyline' of STO (as unfocused as it has become), there is only one player*. Every player is the person who killed Hakeev within the storyline, for example. So there's only, within the concept of the storyline, one Vice Admiral or Lieutenant General flying around stolen/borrowed/otherwise obtained enemy faction ship. But dino-lasers are going to be part of the storyline. That's different types of suspension of disbelief, and maybe one is okay for some people and the other isn't.

The story may seem unique to each player, but the fact remains that if you come out of the tutorial and go to save the Azura you will run into tons of George Lucas aliens, Joker lookalikes and alien ships. And the STFs and FAs have stories. They are just constantly repeated.
    skhc wrote: »
    Now I personally don't have a strong opinion on it either way. I'm honestly more bothered by the fact that it seems necessary to have new threats keep appearing and have the Federation and Klingons fight everyone in the Galaxy, whilst routinely allying with the people they're supposed to be fighting - ie. each other. Whether or not that is or isn't 'un-trek' or the game was or wasn't 'un-trek' before the Voth cropped up, it's just increasingly ridiculous and makes it look like they have no clue how to progress the Iconian/Elachi, Romulan or Tholian arcs. I'd rather have the storyline follow up existing enemies than make up new ones. The fact that the new enemy does or doesn't have armoured dinosaurs doesn't enter the equation for me.

Amen. They should finally bury the hatchet in J'mpok's skull and stop that stupid war.
    Correction to my own post, I do believe that I read a book on some culture using space going creature as the basis for their ship's. The creature had the ability to travel at warp speed or at least survive doing so, while the humanoid culture would mount sub-light engines and an encapsulated piloting facility to the creature's backs. But this was one of those books like some shows that make me go "Really".

I have two words for you that don't involve any strange beta-canon books: Tin Man
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2013

This. STO never had a consistent feel of any kind. Wether it is "Trek" or not is up to you though the basic premise of this game forbids that there is any kind of "feel" to the game.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited October 2013
    The story may seem unique to each player, but the fact remains that if you come out of the tutorial and go to save the Azura you will run into tons of George Lucas aliens, Joker lookalikes and alien ships. And the STFs and FAs have stories. They are just constantly repeated.

Amen. They should finally bury the hatchet in J'mpok's skull and stop that stupid war.

I have two words for you that don't involve any strange beta-canon books: Tin Man

The tin man just reminds me of an early attempt at the Undine, because even their ship's are biomechanical in some fashion.

• isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Branching out is fine, I think it's silly but I'm not going to condemn them exactly because I don't like what they've introduced. STO has never really been Star Trek because it completely misses the point of it. Its structure does not lend itself to the narrative of Trek. But it is still enjoyable and so long as there are parts of it that can be enjoyed by each different fan then that's fine. I don't thin they shouldn't do things like this, I just wish they'd give a little more time to generating normal Trek content. Something that captures the wonder of space, science, exploration and so on. I'm a bit tired of being a mass murderer, while the new content is interesting it's only going to result in me being a mass murder of dinosaurs - anything more?
  • damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I got nothing more on this subject so here's a Baby eating a cat

LOL! nomnomnom :D
    STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
    I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I remember when you were making these exact same posts over 3 years ago. Does that make you a hypocrite? It must, because you have never felt that STO was like Star Trek. You have protested about it being unlike Star Trek for years, so from your perspective it never 'used to be Star Trek'.

If you do not like the game then do not play it. But all the whining in the world will not make this game what you want it to be, and the main reason for that is because everyone here wants something different in a Star Trek game. Some people want it to be all tos where we fight gods and superhuman aliens and get our shirts ripped every mission. Others want it to be like like tng where we talk about everything and never shoot the weapons. Some want us to be peaceful explorers. Others want us to be more war focused on pvp. Some want to play borg and undine while others just want to walk around their ships talking to crew.

There is no 1 universal concept of Star Trek for the players. The quicker people realize that, and realiize that what they want is not what everyone else playing wants, the happier people will be.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited October 2013
    If you read the behind the scenes info at Memory Alpha on the episode Distant Origins, you'll see that:
    This episode started as a premise that co-writer Joe Menosky described as "basically dinos with automatic weapons." Menosky added, "That was the fun of it. [Co-writer] Brannon [Braga]'s a big action guy, a perverse horror story kind of a guy. That's the direction we had." He also referred to the premise as "basically Aliens II, as it were, with automatic weapons."

So yeah, Starfleet fighting dinosaurs... it's been thought of by someone working on Star Trek before.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    edited October 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    If you read the behind the scenes info at Memory Alpha on the episode Distant Origins, you'll see that:

So yeah, Starfleet fighting dinosaurs... it's been thought of by someone working on Star Trek before.

Aliens II and dinos w/automatic weapons doesn't define a t-rex or raptor w/lasers strapped to them. An alien or humanoid dino both with hands and a thumb could relatively use an automatic weapon!!! :confused:

• tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think its star trek. I applaud them for for branching out and showing us things we have not seen before. You know that boldly going where no one has gone before thing?

Seriously, people used to complain that DS9 was not star trek because it was set on a space station, or voyager was not trek because there was no federation and the crew were all at odds with each other. people just get attached to what they know and change scares them. they got over it.

what differences does it make that it was not set inside the one from TNG? How does it actually make anything more trek? its still a dyson sphere. we saw next to nothing of that sphere's interior. its not like we know the exact appearance as we never got that close to see so how does it affect your immersion that you are in one sphere you know nothing about instead of the other sphere you know nothing about? if we saw it in great detail, and the new sphere looked totally different then i would argue that's not what people want, but getting something new should never be considered a bad thing.

star trek fans should be the most open fans to change. seeing new things, even if it seems weird and outrageous yet so many seem to be stuck in only wanting what they know. it seems totally counter to the whole point of trek in the first place.

Of course, it goes against Doctrine and must be eradicated!
  • saxfiresaxfire Member Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I don't, I play games, I don't play books or movies or stories, give me a balanced game, I am gamer, you are trekkie, we can't both be happy. This is just a game, with STO francise.
    Say the word, it saves the world.
    CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
    Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
  • felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am very irritated and upset now. I watched every episode of Enterprise, TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager, in order. Im almost done with Voyager but, here is the problem.... I never saw an Episode on TNG where they found a dyson sphere. I realized this when I was watching a TNG rerun on BBC about the wierd engineer that stutters (what's his name again?), when he hooked up to some all powerful computer. I never saw these! I watched TNG on Netflix and it appears some episodes are missing!
  • unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tekehd wrote: »
    Of course, it goes against Doctrine and must be eradicated!

Of course! Fanboys and canon nerds are the Voth!

That aside, it's easy to see where a theoretical Voth military might employ dinosaurs with lasers strapped onto them: Doctrine.

The episode itself already shows that though the Voth had very advanced technology, they could easily have been MORE advanced had there not been doctrinal conflict. They had Transwarp technology for THOUSANDS of years, but never used or explored it because Doctrine said it was bad.

In that regard, Doctrine could also have codified the use of "Beasts of burden" in military conflict, or mech suits that might otherwise seem incongruous with "modern" 25th-century warfare.

Tradition and ideology are extremely powerful forces in determining societal development. Remember that the next time you think about leaving your gangster novels among pre-warp aliens :)
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    felixhex wrote: »
    I am very irritated and upset now. I watched every episode of Enterprise, TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager, in order. Im almost done with Voyager but, here is the problem.... I never saw an Episode on TNG where they found a dyson sphere. I realized this when I was watching a TNG rerun on BBC about the wierd engineer that stutters (what's his name again?), when he hooked up to some all powerful computer. I never saw these! I watched TNG on Netflix and it appears some episodes are missing!

The Episode in TNG with the Dyson sphere is called "Relics".... it also was the episode where they found Scotty. Good one, you must watch it.
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited October 2013

I'm not 100% on board with what is coming with the Voth release. I'm all for the Voth, but I'm not sure the direction they have taken with the Voth is thematic with Star Trek. From their creation of the costuming, the dino's, and other things.

I have to agree with you on the Voth subject, at least from the point of view Cryptic. There are soo many other encounters, themes, subjects that can be built upon that is built on both lore and canon. Unfortunately; Cryptic chose an obscure episode from one of the worst Star Trek series ever created, alongside Enterprise.
    I also like the idea of the Dyson's sphere, but I'm worried they can't keep it thematic with Star Trek. I wish they would have used the one the Enterprise-D found, that one, IMO, would have felt more immerse. It was an already known sphere from the show, and having it in this game would have given us the chance to explore it in a way we didn't get to see on the show, it'd show us what was down on that surface.

Regarding the Dyson's sphere, the race that built it would have built many more. I think the theme of the Dyson's sphere can be expanded on, if CRYPTIC keeps it plausible.
    Season 8 is making me think that Cryptic, or PWE, wants to downgrade Star Trek Online into a "General SCIFI" type of MMO, loosely based on Star Trek. I'm getting that worrying feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I hate to burst your bubble but the game was downgraded before PWE arrival. Canon or the preservation of any sensible canon subject was never in the minds of the dev. What was in their minds is how can they exploit the Star Trek theme and reap in the BIG bucks. It is a company first with a product to offer.

Cryptic is unlike, lets say a company like ArenaNet who take pride in their product, they are more like a company who uses a popular theme and find ways to milk the cash cow. Granted some devs take pride in their work, but the overall mentality borders on how to exploit the Start Trek fanbase. If this were not the case, PWE would NOT have bought STO and its development team. There is money to be made here, plain and simple, Star Trek Fans are a gullible bunch that are Trek starved.
    I look at Season 8 so far and think "Mass Effect" or "Halo", not Star Trek. And that's not a good thing. Imagine how people on the outside, who have never played the game before, are looking at it.

STO borrowed already from some of the more popular console games out there, case in point, the armor system. They may have not directly taken it from Mass Effect, but it sure was inspired from it. The list goes on.
    Plus, there are so many unfinished things in STO, and parts of the game that need a big overhaul first, before introducing a completely new thing like this into the game that was only seen in one episode of Voyager, and a sphere that is completely made up and never seen in the show.

I would like the Star Trek to come back to Star Trek Online please.

Thanks,
    A Loyal Lifetime Fan since Open Beta

Star Trek Online is beyond hope in regards to it sticking to its roots. Star Trek Online should be now be renamed ST Jurassic Park Online 40,000
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg