test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Remember when this game use to be Star Trek?

Comments

• farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    To me the game is Star Trek. Only thing is you have to be open minded. No TV show, movies has been made for the year 2409. So the writers are free to play around with it and create stuff. I view this as the books many likes to read on Star Trek. I read a few, and they are out there on what happens and thoughts. So the game is no different.

This is a game, enjoy it!
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Maybe if you guys didn't take a giant steamer on the pre FTP tier 5 Connie crew there might be another fan base or two around to help keep things traditional. ;););)

Honestly the Voth will be fun albeit a bit cheesy. The devs will probably heed all the warnings and keep such silliness to the writing later. I just hope they keep making enemy groups with such variety.
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I keep seeing this thread pop up... and i keep wanting to answer the title with the response that keeps coming to mind...

"This game was never star trek"

>_> Oh I have become meme.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • fireseeedfireseeed Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    saekiith wrote: »
    The Star in the Jenolan Sphere was highly unstable and due to go boom, it was the premise of the episode that even the Enterprise needed to get the hell out of that Sphere to not get roasted and the door to it was most likely damaged by the Enterprises Escape... so... nope not a good choice...

It helps actually re-watching the episodes you want to talk about...
    Actually it could have made for some exciting gaming. Imagine if you could only spend a few hours a day in the sphere, and even shorter period on the ground. That every mission was on a timer where you have achieve the mission and get hell out of there. An imagine if the dyson sphere became increasingly harder for players to access, having mini game where you have to hit the right frequency to access the sphere. You could even chain a few mission together so as you learn more about sphere you find out more about who built it, whether they have other colonies and have to go to those planets explore and find information you need to figure out the sphere.

They could have use the unstable star as weapon and a hindrance to the player, having it create blind spot on the sensors, allow the player to use flares to damage to damage ships.
    edited October 2013
    Earth Fossils records please, none found showing any sign of evolution of prehistoric creature known as dino evolving into a humanoid like creature, so story too me was always a bit off when related to earth!!! And seeing how the show had limited information to go on, we again are being spoon fed TRIBBLE that we are to believe is what is actual!!! Sorry still can't convince me, and as far as their superiority please it was just one ship Voyager. Hell even large Kazon vessels could do some damage to Voyager, it was just one small Fed vessel not even designed as an actual warship!!!
    Voyager almost defeated 8+ Kazon vessels, if it wasn't for the suicide bomber they would have won that battle. An that was one federation ship more concern about conserving it 36/38 torpedos, than winning the battle. Kazon vessels should be use for target practice by cadets at Starfleet.

Through it be fun to visit one of their troops training grounds.
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sack26 wrote: »
    What this guy said 100%.
    Star trek isn't all about cool space battles, its about human morality. Different aliens were analogous to cultures on earth at the time.
    I don't think the devs realize this aspect of star trek or they choose to ignore it. The have turned a tv show about complex moral issues in to combat focused mmo. Don't mistake this for complaining, I enjoy playing sto but it definitely is not the stuff of the series.

This is exactly the problem. You can put in canon races, ships, and tech but it doesn't make it Star Trek. Star Trek, even at DS9's bloodiest, was never about blowing everything up, even their combat was either heavily strategic or won by means other than guns. The entire game is so incredibly grindy, formulaic and non-trek it isn't funny. Where is discovery, wonder, excitement? No, we have queues, grinding reputation, fire at first site game play.

The excuse of its not very MMO like it to have game play other than just shooting is lame and lazy thinking, it is easy to make a shooting game, it takes much more thought to make something intelligent, unique and fun. The fact that cryptic isn't even capable of keeping the STFs up to date is proof enough of where we are.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
    edited October 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    The Voth are not that advanced. The 29th Century Federation was capable of time travel. Even the 23rd Century Federation was capable of time travel while we have not seen anything to indicate that the Voth are even capable of it. The Voth are only a few centuries more advanced than the Federation and not millions of years so it is extremely doubtful that the Voth could fix a dying star. Even if they could, their precious Doctrine would likely get in their way and prevent them from doing it. Fixing the Dyson Sphere from TNG episode would require an act of Q.
    Even Federation scientists and their allie worlds were working on fixing dying stars, see TNG episode Half a Life , and in the film Star trek generations we saw the Federation had the technology to destroy a star, or at least the technical understanding of how to do it, being peaceful and all they weren't exacting researching it in detail.

So it not that far fetch that a race 60 million year olds would know how to stabilise the star inside Jolan Dyson Sphere.

As in my previous post, the episode could be made even more exciting by having an unstable star.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    westx211 wrote: »
    I like this thread for one reason and one reason only. It keeps all the season 8 haters and close minded people who can't accept that a non human species might have different values and ways of thinking than us out of the other threads.

Its not that i hate what is in store with season 8

Im ok with the Voth and the dysons sphere

but the dinos with laser beams is where it stops being star trek and starts being something else completley.

Dinos with laser on their heads isnt trek at all idk who came up with this cornball idea but its one that should not be in a trek game.

personally i hope at some point a new trek game comes out that stays trek not make a watered down cookie cutter MMO that is loosley based on trek.
  • saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Please substitute ANY and ALL Instances of

"This is not Star Trek!", "This would never happen in Star Trek!" and associated variations with:

"This is not MY VERSION of Star Trek!", "This would never happen IN MY VERSION of Star Trek"

and be done with it :)
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,291 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ]

I like then sound of your jibe! At least someone understands.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    aslong as theres a new shiny most will be happy with TRIBBLE
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I can see it. The Voth are religious fanatics about their "Doctrine". And anyone of their people they can't coerce or intimidate to follow their "Doctrine" they imprison on what is basically penal colonies and monitor them constantly to make sure they never contradict "Doctrine" again.

Even if they keep the populations of the exiles on the colonies low to keep any trouble started manageable they'll need a lot of resources to enforce the governments will.

So they basically need a lot of high tech and troops to keep the dissidents isolated and unable to rebel and contaminate the "Doctrine" with their free thinking.

Sure head lasers, dino mounts, and battlemechs seems cheesy and campy but Trek has always been full of cheese and camp.
    Also, it just occurred to me that cyber-dinos are a great way to deal with political dissidents. It's impossible to reason with them, thus there is no concern with the possibility of the troops becoming corrupted.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited October 2013
    nicha0 wrote: »
    This is exactly the problem. You can put in canon races, ships, and tech but it doesn't make it Star Trek. Star Trek, even at DS9's bloodiest, was never about blowing everything up, even their combat was either heavily strategic or won by means other than guns. The entire game is so incredibly grindy, formulaic and non-trek it isn't funny. Where is discovery, wonder, excitement? No, we have queues, grinding reputation, fire at first site game play.

The excuse of its not very MMO like it to have game play other than just shooting is lame and lazy thinking, it is easy to make a shooting game, it takes much more thought to make something intelligent, unique and fun. The fact that cryptic isn't even capable of keeping the STFs up to date is proof enough of where we are.
    Want me to make a list of the things that Kirk blew up? :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited October 2013
    Want me to make a list of the things that Kirk blew up? :D

I can't think of many things he did blow up, so may be you can make that list. He threaten to blow up more things than he actually did blew up, least from my memory. There also a lot of things he tried but fail to blow up as well.
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    saekiith wrote: »
    Please substitute ANY and ALL Instances of

"This is not Star Trek!", "This would never happen in Star Trek!" and associated variations with:

"This is not MY VERSION of Star Trek!", "This would never happen IN MY VERSION of Star Trek"

and be done with it :)

What this guy said, times infinity. The progression of Trek history has gone pretty much like this:

1987: "WTF, TNG isn't Trek, TOS was Trek!!!"

1993: "WTF, DS9 isn't Trek, TNG was Trek!!"

1995: "WTF, Voyager isn't Trek, DS9 was Trek!!"

2001: "WTF, Enterprise isn't Trek, Voyager was Trek!"

Now: "Hmm, Enterprise wasn't that bad, more Trek than Voyager!!"

To back track a bit:

1986: "Yea, an enjoyable movie but whales and time travel? WTF"

2009: "WTF? Now The Voyage Home in 1986 is how you do a time travel movie."

Another example:

1991: "WTF is this TRIBBLE? Stupid conspiracy movie!"

2013: "WTF is this? Now the Undiscovered Country in 1991 was how you did a conspiracy movie!"

Yet another:

1982: "Wow, nice to see The Wrath of Khan increased action and pacing!!"

2009: "WTF, Trek isn't about action and fast pacing!"

Last one:

Mirror, Mirror: "Wow, nice to see how characters we know would act in an alternate universe under different circumstances!"

Star Trek (2009): "WTF, so what it's an alternate universe? These guys need to act exactly like they did in TOS."

A lot of Trek fans are hypocrites at best, and self centered at worst. Sometimes I think that they think what they feel is Trek is what the global definition should be.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
    edited October 2013
    fireseeed wrote: »
    I can't think of many things he did blow up, so may be you can make that list. He threaten to blow up more things than he actually did blew up, least from my memory. There also a lot of things he tried but fail to blow up as well.
    Challenge accepted! :D

TOS1: Mitchell fights Kirk and Dehner, then after Mitchel beats Dehner to the point of death Kirk uses a Phaser to bury Mitchell under rocks apparently killing him
    TOS2: yeah this one was a long talky episode, but Kirk mainly bluffed because he knew he couldn't win any other way.
    TOS3: Kirk destroys Mudd's scam thus leaving him economically ruined
    TOS4: Kirk fights his evil double, but not to the death
    TOS5: Kirk, McCoy, and Spock wipe out all of the known Salt Vampires
    TOS6: silly episode....
    TOS7: Kirk tries to kill Charlie, but the Thasians recover Charlie before Kirk succeeds
    TOS8: Kirk engages Keras in ship to ship combat, which ends with the destruction of the Romulan ship and death of it's crew
    TOS9: Kirk fights Korby and Ruk, but fails to kill either, all of the androids actually get killed by the other androids
    TOS10: Adams dies
    TOS11: yeah, one of the few purely diplomatic eps in TOS
    TOS12: hmm... Kodos is killed by his daughter
    TOS13: Kirk doesn't fight the Taureans, but some of them probably die.
    TOS14: no one dies here, but... almost
    TOS15/16: yeah, loads of drama, but mostly just drama
    TOS17: some of the constructs on the planet get destroyed
    TOS18: Kirk destroys the power source that Trelane is using to enhance his abilities
    TOS19: Kirk tries to destroy the Gorn ship, then later beats its Captain senseless
    TOS20: Kirk destroys the Time ship and traps both copies of Lazarus in the time corridor indefinitely
    TOS21: time travel silliness
    TOS22: Kirk destroys Landru
    TOS23: yeah no one actually dies... but people spend plenty of time trying!
    TOS24: Kirk later wishes he'd killed Khan... prior to Khan killing himself
    TOS25: Kirk and Spock destroy the euphoria spores infesting the planet
    TOS26: another diplomacy ep, though kirk threatens to kill the miners if they don't stop trying to kill the Horta
    TOS27: the silly Organians forced Kirk not to kill the Klingons....
    TOS28: Kirk stops McCoy from saving Keeler
    TOS29: Kirk destroys the parasites

This is time consuming, so I'm gonna stop now. The point is that Star Trek has always centered around resolution of conflicts. The types of solutions vary, but they did in many case sinvolve shooting someone.....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I don't know how people say "THIS GAME ISN'T STAR TREK BUT THEN MOST OF STAR TREK ISN'T STAR TREK" and expect Cryptic to take them seriously.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    As someone who's generally been supportive of the directions that this game has taken us, I've gotta say: Dinosaurs that shoot lasers out of their heads DO NOT feel very 'Trek'. I was excited for this Voth storyline, but based on what I've seen... I'm a little nervous.
  • blackwing78blackwing78 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I don't know how people say "THIS GAME ISN'T STAR TREK BUT THEN MOST OF STAR TREK ISN'T STAR TREK" and expect Cryptic to take them seriously.

People probably say it because it is the truth?

The game is a generic sci fi mmo feeding upon a famous IP to draw people in, now before you go all rage: It is that way because thats how the game industry works, plain and simple.
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    azniadeet wrote: »
    As someone who's generally been supportive of the directions that this game has taken us, I've gotta say: Dinosaurs that shoot lasers out of their heads DO NOT feel very 'Trek'. I was excited for this Voth storyline, but based on what I've seen... I'm a little nervous.

Because you're focusing too much on dinosaurs and not on what the upcoming Season is actually about.
    And all things considered, genetically engineered and cybernetically armed dinosaurs is the least ridiculous thing that's ever been presented in Trek.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Things that would make the game more STAR TREK

Character slots that you have your Captain who effects your ship with Captain abilities. Captain rarely ever goes on away missions. First Officer is the character you will usually use on away missions. So what we have you create Captain that affects space missions and a First Officer for ground missions.

Improve actual STAR TREK ships so that they are more useful resulting in more people actually flying STAR TREK ships. To many non STAR TREK ships in this game that are to good compared to actual STAR TREK ships.

Lockbox ships like Galor,Jem'Hadar attack ship,D'kora Marauder ect.... only can be used in war game simulations and special missions not as a everyday everything. I know this will not happen because of money reasons.

More Diplomacy and Exploration in story missions for the Federation. For Romulans espionage missions. For Klingons combat combat combat is fine.

More Starfleet weapons from the shows/movies added to the game and need to be of very rare quality. More Starfleet outfits from shows/movies added to the game.

More Klingon melee weapons from movie/episodes added to the game and being very rare quality. More Klingon outfits from movies/episodes added to the game.

K'Vort Class Klingon Bird of Prey added to the game in the C-Store.

Fleet Light Cruiser (Miranda Class) added to the game.

Have each faction have their own unique space equipment that can only be used on their own factions ship and never change that. All factions need to have something totally unique.
  • mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    All I can think of in regards to Season 8 is Austin Powers.....

"You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads! Now evidently my cycloptic colleague informs me that that cannot be done. Ah, would you remind me what I pay you people for, honestly? Throw me a bone here!"
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    People probably say it because it is the truth?

Maybe in kind of a "I live in la-la delusional fantasy world where Star Trek is actually intellectual and there were only ever three Star Wars movies and one Matrix movie" sort of way.

In the actually really real world, it's the kind of thing the worst sorts of whiny, pedantic fanboys say.
    The game is a generic sci fi mmo feeding upon a famous IP to draw people in, now before you go all rage: It is that way because thats how the game industry works, plain and simple.

That's how adaptations work. A Star Trek book is not the same as a Star Trek show is not the same as a Star Trek movie is not the same as a Star Trek game.

Even games like Bridge Commander (that cleave as closely to the shows as possible) are pretty much nothing but spaceships flying around shooting each other, when you break it down. The difference is, Bridge Commander keeps itself tightly confined to the cheap-o nature of the shows: having everything take place on a single "bridge" set, for instance, is a cost-saving measure. STO offers more freedom and a wider variety of stuff, but it loses part of the cheap TV sci-fi feel.

(Sort of a tangent, but when people say they want to add a Z-axis like Bridge Commander . . . I'm kinda iffy on that. I liked Bridge Commander, but the Z-axis made it look wrong somehow. It was so close to the TV show sometimes that seeing the ships turned upside down and at a weird direction made them look ugly to me, and highlighted that they were only TV props that were designed to look good from certain angles. I think it might actually work better in STO, but I'm not sure. Maybe I'm the nitpicky nerd.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,443 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Okay, time to whip out the ugly, ugly truth. I thought everyone already knew the ugly, ugly truth, but it would appear I was mistaken.

It's ALL Star Trek. Even the bits you don't like. The Great and Holy TOS still gave us "The Omega Glory" and "Spock's Brain"; TNG gave us "The Naked Now" and "Skin of Evil"; DS9 gave us most of their first season; VOY gave us, well, VOY; ENT gave us the Temporal Cold War and time-traveling alien reptile TRIBBLE.

The movies had The Wrath of Khan and The Voyage Home; they also had Star Trek: the Motionless Picture and The Final Frontier (aka "Shatner Made Us Let Him Direct"). And yes, they also include the movies produced and directed by JJ Abrams, and written by Orci and Kurtzman.

I'm sorry if this upsets you, but the Voth are canon. (Personally, I'm a little upset that the Kazon and Ocampa are canon, as I can't believe in the sociology of the one and the biology of the other, but there you go.) And all the kicking and whining you care to do about "real Star Trek" will affect neither the people responsible for this game, nor those of us old enough to remember what Star Trek has really always been - entertainment. Sometimes that entertainment has tried to use our attention to teach us something, but it was always aimed at being entertaining first.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Okay, time to whip out the ugly, ugly truth. I thought everyone already knew the ugly, ugly truth, but it would appear I was mistaken.

It's ALL Star Trek. Even the bits you don't like. The Great and Holy TOS still gave us "The Omega Glory" and "Spock's Brain"; TNG gave us "The Naked Now" and "Skin of Evil"; DS9 gave us most of their first season; VOY gave us, well, VOY; ENT gave us the Temporal Cold War and time-traveling alien reptile TRIBBLE.

The movies had The Wrath of Khan and The Voyage Home; they also had Star Trek: the Motionless Picture and The Final Frontier (aka "Shatner Made Us Let Him Direct"). And yes, they also include the movies produced and directed by JJ Abrams, and written by Orci and Kurtzman.

I'm sorry if this upsets you, but the Voth are canon. (Personally, I'm a little upset that the Kazon and Ocampa are canon, as I can't believe in the sociology of the one and the biology of the other, but there you go.) And all the kicking and whining you care to do about "real Star Trek" will affect neither the people responsible for this game, nor those of us old enough to remember what Star Trek has really always been - entertainment. Sometimes that entertainment has tried to use our attention to teach us something, but it was always aimed at being entertaining first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLyxmD_UAK4
    GwaoHAD.png
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jonsills wrote: »

No...NO! I refuse to believe this! MY VISION OF STAR TREK IS RIGHT AND ABSOLUTE! No one shall taint it! NO ONE! :mad:

:P
  • kortaagkortaag Member Posts: 525
    edited October 2013
    I can see it. The Voth are religious fanatics about their "Doctrine". And anyone of their people they can't coerce or intimidate to follow their "Doctrine" they imprison on what is basically penal colonies and monitor them constantly to make sure they never contradict "Doctrine" again.

Even if they keep the populations of the exiles on the colonies low to keep any trouble started manageable they'll need a lot of resources to enforce the governments will.

So they basically need a lot of high tech and troops to keep the dissidents isolated and unable to rebel and contaminate the "Doctrine" with their free thinking.

Sure head lasers, dino mounts, and battlemechs seems cheesy and campy but Trek has always been full of cheese and camp.

If you're going to support dinos with lasers that's fine but stop marring the facts. They weren't religious fanatics. Seems like you still got homework to do.
    May good management be with you.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Fictional universes, when portrayed with any broad sense of realism, aren't "thematic". They do not only contain an element that doesn't fit in with your view of what 'should' be in that universe. 100% of this game is Star Trek, as what counts as "Star Trek" isn't the favorite themes of its fans, but what is displayed as the Star Trek universe.

tl;dr - Star Trek defines itself, your dis-continuity does not.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Mmmmmm.Popcorn.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What I find ironic is that people are complaining about "Dinosaurs in Space", i.e.; the Voth.

These same people have no problem with "Space Elves" (Vulcans), "Space Dark Elves" (Romulans), "Cats in Space" (Caitians and Ferasans), "Iguanas in Space" (Gorn), "Psychic Bats in Space" (Remans) and so forth...

Okay, let's ask a simple question; if the Voth had been introduced through Next Generation or Deep Space Nine instead of Voyager, would those of you that hate the idea of the Voth still feel the same way?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...