test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

need help on the temporal probe puzzle on researcher rescue

I'm stuck on a waste of time puzzle, need the solution so i can carry on
NMXb2ph.png
    "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
    -Lord Commander Solar Macharius

Comments

• Options
      salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
      edited July 2016
      I got the "sudoku" version (which is really easy to do) for that mission IIRC. I'm not sure if the type is random or not.
      When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    • Options
      bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
      edited July 2016
      Puzzles are randomized, there are 3:

The 4 digit puzzle is just plain bruteforce. Begin with the first number from 1 to 5 until it says it matches, then the second, then the third...

The word puzzle is a pain in the TRIBBLE, especially if English is not your native language. You have 3 options and you have to correctly find 2 words, since devs are not stupid they made it so the same option is never right twice, that means if option 1 is correct then you'll have to select option 2 or 3. That's to prevent you from simply spamming F until you get it right by pure coincidence. That means that you have a 1/6 chance to get it right choosing at random but following the rules. The legit way is you have to guess the word by reading the text, each word on the text is missing 2 letters, those 2 letters must be on one of the 3 options you are given, but choosing at random is faster.

The third type of puzzle is the easiest. You just have to add a number to 2 numbers you are given so the result is 15.
    • Options
      salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
      bioixi wrote: »

The 4 digit puzzle is just plain bruteforce. Begin with the first number from 1 to 5 until it says it matches, then the second, then the third...

The word puzzle is a pain in the ****, especially if English is not your native language. You have 3 options and you have to correctly find 2 words, since devs are not stupid they made it so the same option is never right twice, that means if option 1 is correct then you'll have to select option 2 or 3. That's to prevent you from simply spamming F until you get it right by pure coincidence. That means that you can get it right choosing at random with a 1/6 chance. The legit way is you have to guess the word by reading the text, each word on the text is missing 2 letters, those 2 letters must be on one of the 3 options you are given.

The third type of puzzle is the easiest. You just have to add a number to 2 numbers you are given so the result is 15.
      I haven't had the pleasure of playing the "4 digit puzzle" yet. But the other 2 are easy peasy.
      When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    • Options
      edited July 2016

The word puzzle is a pain in the ****, especially if English is not your native language. You have 3 options and you have to correctly find 2 words, since devs are not stupid they made it so the same option is never right twice, that means if option 1 is correct then you'll have to select option 2 or 3. That's to prevent you from simply spamming F until you get it right by pure coincidence. That means that you can get it right choosing at random with a 1/6 chance. The legit way is you have to guess the word by reading the text, each word on the text is missing 2 letters, those 2 letters must be on one of the 3 options you are given.

I haven't had the pleasure of playing the "4 digit puzzle" yet. But the other 2 are easy peasy.

It's not really a puzzle. There is a secret 4 digit passcode it can be anything from 1111 to 5555 with any combination of numbers. You begin at 0000 and you can change any digit and then test the code. The program says if you got the number right or if you got the location right. So it's basically a bruteforce password minigame, very tedious and time consuming, that's why in real life those tasks are performed by computer programs.
    • Options
      jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
      edited July 2016
      finally managed to master all 3 with some help from the forums the sudoko is now easy to do you just add the numbers till you get the answer like

say 8+4=12 and then add the missing number which is 3 and then you have 15

took me a while to master and i suck at maths lol ^^;
    • Options
      xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
      Is there an overview which missions contain probes? Or are they all really obviously placed anyway?
      My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    • Options
      dumas13dumas13 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
      Don't worry too much about missing probes. If you double-click the special Temporal communicator thingie you got after finishing the 23rd century missions, it'll bring up a list of Temporal Agent rewards (leveling up, joining a fleet, etc.). The Temporal Probes are at the bottom and it's a pretty long list.

Your objective list will tell you to investigate a probe once you're on the right map (space section or ground section) and a boff will say they're detecting chronal anomalies when you're kinda close. Finally, the map will mark it for you with a little dot saying Temporal Probe, the kind of mark used for random NPCs who don't have much to do with the mission.
    • Options
      jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
      Ones like that mastermind game from the 70's.-80's, you have to enter the 4 correct digits.
    • Options
      xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
      Okay, now that I had it: changing digits one by one is not your best bet. It is still annoying and a not really intuitive UI.

Thanks for the infos everyone, should have gotten it myself, after all, I did Delta Recruits...
      My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    • Options
      starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      xyquarze wrote: »
      Okay, now that I had it: changing digits one by one is not your best bet. It is still annoying and a not really intuitive UI.

Thanks for the infos everyone, should have gotten it myself, after all, I did Delta Recruits...

Personally, I do 1111, 2222, 3333, and 4444 first to show the correct digits. I then place them in order and test to see how many digits are right. Then just switch 2 digits for each code until you get the correct code. Far more satisfying than going 1111, 1112, 1113, etc.
    • Options
      auckaaucka Member Posts: 38 Arc User

It's not really a puzzle. There is a secret 4 digit passcode it can be anything from 1111 to 5555 with any combination of numbers. You begin at 0000 and you can change any digit and then test the code. The program says if you got the number right or if you got the location right. So it's basically a bruteforce password minigame, very tedious and time consuming, that's why in real life those tasks are performed by computer programs.

It's the old Mastermind board game that we used to play in grade school back in the olden days.

1) Set Digit 1 to 1 and test.
      2) If It's correct, move to Digit 2
      3) If the location is correct, set Digit 2 to 1 and test.
      4) Repeat until you find one correct number
      5) Go to the fist Digit you don't have yet and repeat until you have them all

Saves a bunch of time over the brute force method.
    • Options
      gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
      jtoon74 wrote: »
      Ones like that mastermind game from the 70's.-80's, you have to enter the 4 correct digits.

Yeah once you realize it tells you as soon as ONE of them is right, even if its in the wrong place, it becomes much easier to crack quickly.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
      Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
      he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
      In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
      He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
      He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
      He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
      He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
    • Options
      aucka wrote: »

It's the old Mastermind board game that we used to play in grade school back in the olden days.

1) Set Digit 1 to 1 and test.
      2) If It's correct, move to Digit 2
      3) If the location is correct, set Digit 2 to 1 and test.
      4) Repeat until you find one correct number
      5) Go to the fist Digit you don't have yet and repeat until you have them all

Saves a bunch of time over the brute force method.

That's what I meant with bruteforce. Maybe I explained it incorrectly.