test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Remember when this game use to be Star Trek?

Comments

• bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    saekiith wrote: »
    You now, the continuation of this thread reminds me of a sad sad fact...

The Star Trek Fandom, ironically, harbors some of the most ignorant, aggressive, close minded and quite well the most fanatic People I've ever seen besides some Nutjobs at "Religious" Events...

You know... all that IDIC TRIBBLE? Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations?

In the Star Trek Fandom, as soon as something is not exactly as it was portayed in one or two episodes (and lets face it, all rules, moralities and ethics lasted either only for that exact episode or for one more if the former episode was referenced somehow, if we were lucky and they just didn't ignored the outcome!) people literally scream Murder and manslaughter and play the part of the "Betrayed Maiden"...

You can pick any topic that is not a rehash of an old episode and see the same behaviour, but for the actuality just look at this thread, both threads about tanks (but surprisingly, you all are very calm about Battle Mechs...), usually every Thread about something like "Where are MACOs/Starfleet Marines" etc. or literally anything that has something as a topic that was not shown on-screen...

Everywhere you have all these people screaming "THIS IS NOT STAR TREK!!!!!" and its variations and it saddens me...
    You people should be the most enlightend and open minded people on this effing Planet but you act like the friggin Catholic Church (only referenced due to cultural bias on my part coming from a christian country) during its most powerful days! Treating the almost non existent coherence of the Canon as unfallible facts, ignoring that it is sometimes SO self-contradictory that it hurts (or to keep the Bible references in tact, look at how TNG just completely ignored TOS like the New Testament completely ignored the Old) just picking out whatever suits you and disregarding the Rest (Face it, Paris and Janeway are gorram Parents of some lovely Newt Babies!) and even completely ignoring logic and common sense, because at 23:15,05 in S08E16 you could see a glimpse of X.

Ever so often screaming at the top of your lungs "This is not like it was in the Scripture therefore it is an abomination and has to be eradicated!"

Quite frankly... I do not understand how this could have happend... Preaching Tolerance, Open-Mindedness, progression, peace... but acting SO different...

Possibly because the fandom of ST looks at the IP as a religion of sorts and like any religiuos belief its interpretation soon gets muddled by the believers.
    Never forget the slang word Fan is derived from the word Fanatic.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Part of the Solanae Sphere and the new Federation Tutorial, isn't it?

Any truth to the rumors I've heard that the new Tutorial starts you off in a Starfleet Academy uniform?
    One space queue mission and a ground warzone. Love 'em. Oh and the Spire and Rep systems are up.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What's the new Rep System called? Anything interesting in it worth telling about?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    No, we didn't get screwed by J.J. Abrams. If anything, he has given Star Trek a much needed shot in the arm. He performed some serious CPR on a dead cash cow that fandom and bad writers helped kill, and saved it. Star Trek is hot and back into the mainstream again (which is where the money is). Abrams saved the franchise from another "dark age" like it suffered in the 1970s, when it was just another over the top '60s science fiction show with a small cult following.

And for the record, contrary to what Trekkies may think, Star Trek isn't some grand vision about a better tomorrow. Or some deep, serious exploration of the Human condition. It's a cheesy science fiction franchise created by a guy who was out to make a buck in television, that by chance became a pop culture icon.

People need to stop making Star Trek into something it isn't. The people who were involved in the show had to hype it up with pretentious moonbattery to sell it to the edgy types and utopians in nerdom. But the philosophical tangents were shallow at best. And downright stupid at worst, due to bad writing.

That's because, at it's heart, Star Trek is entertainment and so-called "beer and pretzels" science fiction. It's action adventure about space ships, ray guns, exotic planets, studly heroes, and hot broads in hot space suits (or barely anything at all). It has fist fights and pew pew. Kirk always banged the green chicks and Picard chased by horny space MILFS. It's good fun with the usual television drama thrown in to keep it from being completely silly.

Sure, I'm not crazy about dinosaurs with frickin' lasers on their heads being in the game. But that has more to do with what I see as the silliness of it, rather than any notions of what is, or is not, Star Trek. And the issue I have with the powered suits (they are not Battlemechs, people) are related to what I see as potential problems with game play. But as I said before, if it puts food on the devs tables and pays the bills, then go for it. People have got to make a living, you know.

People need to lighten up, and put away the torches and pitchforks. It's one thing to dislike something and speak out about it. It's another to act like Cryptic Studios r@ped your childhood. If one doesn't like the content, then don't play it. Simple as that.

JJ made it into what it needs to be. Something with action and more than just moral stories, because those dont really sell well.

Plus cheer up. Matt Ward did not write lore for Trek..... yet!
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What's the new Rep System called? Anything interesting in it worth telling about?

The Reputation is called Dyson Joint Command. There are no store unlock projects. Get to a specific Tier and the store unlocks automatically. Doing a rep project gives a free random item from the Reputation store. There are just 3 Mk XII sets to do for projects, so the Ground Set, Weapons/Console set, and the Space Set which includes a Warp Core. So 10 equipment projects in total for the entire reputation.

In the Store there is the Shield Refrequencer Science Consoles, the Energy Signature Dampener Engineering Consoles, the Auto Targeting Module Tactical Consoles, and the Protonic Polaron Space Weapons. The Shield Refrequencer Consoles give a 10% chance of doing additional shield healing when you use a shield heal, a 10% chance to do shield penetrating proton damage when using an exotic damage ability except for Feedback Pulse or Eject Warp Plasma, Charged Particle, and Tachyon Beam, and an additional standard science console ability, but I think it is half compared to regular science consoles. The Protonic Polaron ground weapons look like standard polaron ground weapons, has a 5% chance of weapon malfunction, and has a 25% chance on a crit to do proton damage vs. non-Voth, but double the proton damage vs. Voth.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Sounds interesting - can't wait til it hits Holodeck (or even Redshirt) so I can give it a try...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    JJ made it into what it needs to be. Something with action and more than just moral stories, because those dont really sell well.

Plus cheer up. Matt Ward did not write lore for Trek..... yet!

Don't say his name!! You might accidentally invoke him..... and are we REALLY sure he didn't ghost write for Voyager and Enterprise? I mean seriously...
    edited October 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    The Reputation is called Dyson Joint Command. There are no store unlock projects. Get to a specific Tier and the store unlocks automatically. Doing a rep project gives a free random item from the Reputation store. There are just 3 Mk XII sets to do for projects, so the Ground Set, Weapons/Console set, and the Space Set which includes a Warp Core. So 10 equipment projects in total for the entire reputation.

In the Store there is the Shield Refrequencer Science Consoles, the Energy Signature Dampener Engineering Consoles, the Auto Targeting Module Tactical Consoles, and the Protonic Polaron Space Weapons. The Shield Refrequencer Consoles give a 10% chance of doing additional shield healing when you use a shield heal, a 10% chance to do shield penetrating proton damage when using an exotic damage ability except for Feedback Pulse or Eject Warp Plasma, Charged Particle, and Tachyon Beam, and an additional standard science console ability, but I think it is half compared to regular science consoles. The Protonic Polaron ground weapons look like standard polaron ground weapons, has a 5% chance of weapon malfunction, and has a 25% chance on a crit to do proton damage vs. non-Voth, but double the proton damage vs. Voth.
    Did they change the color of Polaron rifles? I noticed when doing the ground war zone that my Jem'Hadar rifle seemed to be firing blue energy bolts.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Did they change the color of Polaron rifles? I noticed when doing the ground war zone that my Jem'Hadar rifle seemed to be firing blue energy bolts.

Er, the JH Rifle has always fired blue bolts, right?
  • johnchxjohnchx Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ...and living on New Romulus.

Everybody has their own take on what Star Trek is "really" all about. Here's mine: Star Trek stands for the proposition that, in the future, things will be better. Not perfect, not easy, not simple...but much, much better. Star Trek is optimism.

If you want a quick dose of Star Trek in STO, do this: got to the Staging Area on New Romulus, turn the in-game music on, and just look at the place. And think about what -- in the STO storyline -- it is. It's an unbelievably heroic effort to rebuild a fallen civilization from the ground up, and to do it "right" this time. And the Federation and the Klingon Empire are calling a temporary, local truce in order to help...because it's just that important.

If you let yourself take the storyline seriously, New Romulus can be genuinely affecting. And it's the closest thing to "real" Star Trek in the whole game.
    edited October 2013
    mvp333 wrote: »
    Er, the JH Rifle has always fired blue bolts, right?
    *looks on holodeck* hunh, oops... I've been using them since they got added to the game and somehow forgot....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'll just roll with season 8.

Looks like fun.
  • admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,561 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    No, we didn't get screwed by J.J. Abrams. If anything, he has given Star Trek a much needed shot in the arm. He performed some serious CPR on a dead cash cow that fandom and bad writers helped kill, and saved it. Star Trek is hot and back into the mainstream again (which is where the money is). Abrams saved the franchise from another "dark age" like it suffered in the 1970s, when it was just another over the top '60s science fiction show with a small cult following.

And for the record, contrary to what Trekkies may think, Star Trek isn't some grand vision about a better tomorrow. Or some deep, serious exploration of the Human condition. It's a cheesy science fiction franchise created by a guy who was out to make a buck in television, that by chance became a pop culture icon.

People need to stop making Star Trek into something it isn't. The people who were involved in the show had to hype it up with pretentious moonbattery to sell it to the edgy types and utopians in nerdom. But the philosophical tangents were shallow at best. And downright stupid at worst, due to bad writing.

That's because, at it's heart, Star Trek is entertainment and so-called "beer and pretzels" science fiction. It's action adventure about space ships, ray guns, exotic planets, studly heroes, and hot broads in hot space suits (or barely anything at all). It has fist fights and pew pew. Kirk always banged the green chicks and Picard chased by horny space MILFS. It's good fun with the usual television drama thrown in to keep it from being completely silly.

Sure, I'm not crazy about dinosaurs with frickin' lasers on their heads being in the game. But that has more to do with what I see as the silliness of it, rather than any notions of what is, or is not, Star Trek. And the issue I have with the powered suits (they are not Battlemechs, people) are related to what I see as potential problems with game play. But as I said before, if it puts food on the devs tables and pays the bills, then go for it. People have got to make a living, you know.

People need to lighten up, and put away the torches and pitchforks. It's one thing to dislike something and speak out about it. It's another to act like Cryptic Studios r@ped your childhood. If one doesn't like the content, then don't play it. Simple as that.

Hell no. Heck Into Darkness was voted the worst trek movie ever. Not JJ has wrecked ST which is why many oppose any JJ ship showing up in STO. They had a horrible director, horrible writers. and paramount should be ashamed. Trek fans don't mind a reboot. IF IT'S DONE RIGHT. JJ Wreck didn't do it right.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hell no. Heck Into Darkness was voted the worst trek movie ever. Not JJ has wrecked ST which is why many oppose any JJ ship showing up in STO. They had a horrible director, horrible writers. and paramount should be ashamed. Trek fans don't mind a reboot. IF IT'S DONE RIGHT. JJ Wreck didn't do it right.

By some convention goers, they voted. So they at the best represented 1% of the fan base. Besides the fact, that every single Trek movie was voted the worst at point or another, including TWOK.
    edited October 2013
    Every Star Trek movie ever has been voted the "Worst Star Trek movie ever"....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited October 2013
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    By some convention goers, they voted. So they at the best represented 1% of the fan base. Besides the fact, that every single Trek movie was voted the worst at point or another, including TWOK.

16k of fans voting that way at a convention. i think they respersent the majority of the fans.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    As far as JJ Abrams ruining Star Trek, then I would have to agree for 2 reasons that was introduced Into Darkness. Khan's transporter and Khan's blood have ruined Star Trek. Why use ships when you can just use probes and a transporter to send an away team to where you need. There is absolutely no risk to an away team when any injury can be healed with super blood.

Then there is the issue that future Star Trek content will likely be as part of the JJ universe. So no Star Trek movies or series set in the Star Trek universe that we love.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Every Star Trek movie ever has been voted the "Worst Star Trek movie ever"....

More to the point, in an identical situation (show of hands poll at a convention event), the 2009 movie was rated dead last the year it came out, met to loud boos and thrown objects, just like Into Darkness was. In the poll that put Into Darkness last, it was voted #6 if you don't count Galaxy Quest, and got a generally positive if unenthusiastic reaction.

The same thing happened to Nemesis, Insurrection, First Contact, and Generations, all voted worst ever in convention polls the year they came out, all of which handed their title back to Star Trek V a few months later, and First Contact in particular never again showed up low on this type of poll, frequently winning top 3 and only barely losing to Wrath of Khan in this particular event.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    plz lets not turn this in to a JJ war thread ty :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    16k of fans voting that way at a convention. i think they respersent the majority of the fans.

They don't represent me.
    edited October 2013

Nor me and 16k doesn't represent the majority of Trek fans.
    edited October 2013
    Nor me and 16k doesn't represent the majority of Trek fans.

ah, yes it does.
    edited October 2013
    ah, yes it does.

So you are saying there are roughly only around 35k to about 50k Trek fans?
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Wow, I could have sworn the fan base was larger than that. But if the admiral says he's so sure there are only so few Trek fans, who're we to argue? Obviously his knowledge is unquestionable!

:rolleyes:
    edited October 2013
    So you are saying there are roughly only around 35k to about 50k Trek fans?

no i say that if that many boos and voted down into darkness then it proves what many of us have thought of JJ Wreck. it is a failure. Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B22Uy7SBe4
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ah, yes it does.

While 16K is enough to be statistically significant in a mathematical sense, if it was at a convention, it would have a wide variety of biases relevant. These would include, but not be limited to:

* Geographic region (those closer to the site of the convention were more likely to be there, even if it's a nationwide convention)
    * Income (being able to get there)
    * Time period the convention was held at
    * Local culture
    * Speakers attending
    * The convention itself
    * Prices associated with the convention
    * Level of involvement with Star Trek in general (it takes devotion to go to a convention thousands of miles away)
    * Level of involvement with the particular segments of the fandom the convention caters to
    * Peer pressure ("I like it, but I don't want to feel left out and all the nerds around me hate it, so I'll raise my hand too")

And probably a lot more; that's just off the top of my head.

So it is significant WITHIN THOSE DEMOGRAPHICS. Not necessarily all of Trekdom everywhere, and I would be disinclined to say it is.

So no, not really.

In fact, those who REFUSE to go to the new movies, REFUSE to do anything involving Star Trek unless it fits into their precise vision of what Star Trek is (usually over some political issue or another, I've noticed), and so forth, have narrowed themselves into a corner wherein they cease to exist as far as the movie producers are concerned. As you are no longer their customer, the OMG ACTION FLIX! crowd has filled that void.
    edited October 2013
    no i say that if that many boos and voted down into darkness then it proves what many of us have thought of JJ Wreck. it is a failure. Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B22Uy7SBe4

I have seen multiple screenings of STID, and I heard very little booing (actually none at all). Each time I went, the theatre was roughly half to 3/4's full. Besides, watching a youtube trailer means very little to me, their opinion is just as valid as the hobo's down the street.

Also, what I have seen on the internet and at fellow fan get togethers, STID is no better than any other Trek movies below the TWOK/FC level (That is the rest of the Trek movies).
    edited October 2013
    I have seen multiple screenings of STID, and I heard very little booing (actually none at all). Each time I went, the theatre was roughly half to 3/4's full. Besides, watching a youtube trailer means very little to me, their opinion is just as valid as the hobo's down the street.

Also, what I have seen on the internet and at fellow fan get togethers, STID is no better than any other Trek movies below the TWOK/FC level (That is the rest of the Trek movies).

And most of the guys i know, trek fans all say Jj Wreck is a peice of TRIBBLE. i saw the 2009 movie. good flick, but trek no. and i saw and heard anough about Into Darkness that i said not going.
  • starwheelerstarwheeler Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I do :(

I'm not 100% on board with what is coming with the Voth release. I'm all for the Voth, but I'm not sure the direction they have taken with the Voth is thematic with Star Trek. From their creation of the costuming, the dino's, and other things.

I also like the idea of the Dyson's sphere, but I'm worried they can't keep it thematic with Star Trek. I wish they would have used the one the Enterprise-D found, that one, IMO, would have felt more immerse. It was an already known sphere from the show, and having it in this game would have given us the chance to explore it in a way we didn't get to see on the show, it'd show us what was down on that surface.

Season 8 is making me think that Cryptic, or PWE, wants to downgrade Star Trek Online into a "General SCIFI" type of MMO, loosely based on Star Trek. I'm getting that worrying feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I look at Season 8 so far and think "Mass Effect" or "Halo", not Star Trek. And that's not a good thing. Imagine how people on the outside, who have never played the game before, are looking at it.

Plus, there are so many unfinished things in STO, and parts of the game that need a big overhaul first, before introducing a completely new thing like this into the game that was only seen in one episode of Voyager, and a sphere that is completely made up and never seen in the show.

I would like the Star Trek to come back to Star Trek Online please.

Thanks,
    A Loyal Lifetime Fan since Open Beta

yea what abouth to boldly go were no one as gone before that to me meen that they can ad what ever they whant to a new season becose it's the unknown that only imagination can create dinausore or running spyder dont care as long as it wil keep people entertain and playng this game , my only fear is grinding wich that there would be less of it after al in any episode we dont see kirk spock and al comedien scanning every 10 second do we?

and sory for my english no am not english but am not blocked to my own language ether, like some here! ...
    edited October 2013
    And most of the guys i know, trek fans all say Jj Wreck is a peice of TRIBBLE. i saw the 2009 movie. good flick, but trek no. and i saw and heard anough about Into Darkness that i said not going.

What is your definition of Trek? TMP probably the best example of what a Trek ideological movie, but rated not the best, TWOK action action, FC action action, TVH swearing humor, TSFS action action, TFF what does god need with a starship, TUC action action, GEN action action, INS forced humor, action, NEM action action forced drama, ST09 action action. I detect a theme here.