What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Crystalline Cataclysm

Comments

• Options
    stulloydstulloyd Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Nope this event is defo Broken. Mirrors are attacking any1 even if not fired upon.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Just done 2 CCN's now. 1st 1 was filled with mirrors but we got the entity killed as they acted as Cryptic intented them to. 2nd 1. I've just left. By god the mirrors were just firing even if no1 fired on them. So no1 could get close to the Entity. By god this event is fixed. Cryptic is saying nothing is wrong. Why cause they don't want no1 completeing it cause they don't want u getting the Zen from the Dilith u'll gather.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Same thing again> seems to only be so bad in the 1's u start with infinite Mirror ships tho. in the 1's u start with Tholians & mirrors appear after u get entity to 66%. The mirrors do attack u but not half as many.
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    stulloyd wrote: »
    Just done 2 CCN's now. 1st 1 was filled with mirrors but we got the entity killed as they acted as Cryptic intented them to. 2nd 1. I've just left. By god the mirrors were just firing even if no1 fired on them. So no1 could get close to the Entity. By god this event is fixed. Cryptic is saying nothing is wrong. Why cause they don't want no1 completeing it cause they don't want u getting the Zen from the Dilith u'll gather.

Wait, what? Is this you?

Cryptic is not saying nothing is wrong.

Go back like 3 pages and you'll find this post:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=12604261&postcount=272
  • Options
    carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    As far as I can see, the 'ZOMG NEEEERRFFFF IT!!!' difficult instances are the result of an unlucky combination of the random occurances they put into it. Unless that happens, it's only a slightly more difficult than the regular one. Me and a fleetmate popped into one last night and it was over in around 4 minutes.

Then again, we're both in sci ships with the necessary debuffing abilities, we don't start trying to attack anything but the entity, we don't spam FAW and we limit our AoE attacks to moments when we're pretty sure it's not going to aggro the entire map.....

I'll agree on the frame rate issues though, but that's a gamewide issue and has nothing to do with the difficulty level of CE.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • Options
    czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    pls, it greatly not only prolong duration of mission, but greatly increase frustation from taht mission too.
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I just ran my 1st CEE since the revamp and I must say that the Mirror invasion is quite broken IMO.

The Entity itself was not much of a problem but the swarms of mirror ships were.

The group that I was a part of was able to drop the Entity down to 15% but then we got overwhelmed by a staggering amount of Mirror vessels that just would not let up.

We started dropping like fly's and had to keep giving ground due to the waves of mirror ships that kept pushing us back away from the Entity to the point that we could not get near it and it was drowning in a sea of red.

What made matter worse was the fact that the mirror vessels covered our respawn points and when we spawned we were attack with a quickness.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    @protogoth. Thanks for that Didn't see that post. only saw the Earlier post stating they were attempting to fix it. So I was unaware that it aint been fixed yet.

@errab. I agree with u there bud. the entity aint the problem. Its the Mirror ships doing exactly what u just said in ur post bud.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If people read the release notes they would see there's a fix on Redshirt for it.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    milandaremilandare Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    After reading so many unnecessarily glib comments on the changes from people with little capacity for adapting, I haven't read this whole thread.

I've pugged 3 "Normal" difficulty events on a laptop at "Low" in-game graphics settings. I always run STFs this way. Sometimes stuff disappears, even the entity if it's far away, but I'm targeting only the entity almost all the time anyway.

With two poor teams it was a challenge to get to the entity from the spawn point, meaning I had to hit a heal during my Evasive Maneuvers. I died/respawned at least twice during each event. All my attacks are AoE, with four +Threat consoles so I get loads of attention from things close to the entity (I didn't target anything else). This was fun! I had a run with a competent pug team, it was a cruise. One of the "poor" teams was due to three selfish afkers. I got a first place then two third places. I can imagine if the team doesn't figure out to focus on the entity then accumulating ships could get out of hand. Perhaps the event could detect a hopeless situation and auto-fail.

Feel free to tweak this but it's not broken. Feel free to withhold shards from anyone not spending at least half of their time within 10km of the entity too...
  • Options
    fauxgreyfauxgrey Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The amount of mirror ships in this event is ridiculous. This event, as well as the fleet starbase events have far too many ships flying around, to the point where my game cant keep up with all the @#$# that is happening. Improve the netcode or lower the amount of ships in-game. Failing that, give me a shard every twenty hours as this event is unplayable as-is.

I know my ship could easily handle the mirror ships - but it cant when no matter how many times I click EPTs, nothing happens. No matter how many times I mash spacebar to fire weapons, nothing happens. I just sit there watching myself, and everyone else, explode.
    Only a fool seeks meaning from a bowl of oatmeal.
  • Options
    vagiusvagius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    xingbell wrote: »
    It just seems like that many are saying just ignore the ships and that will solve the problems.

I haven't seen that too much. If I cannot get to the CE or only get a few rounds of shots off because the ships I am ignoring have opened fire, then stating "Just ignore the ships" is not really a solution.

The solution seems to be "fly towards the CE, pray you get a shot off, respawn, rinse, wash, repeat" .

If they are still going after you that vociferously it may be that you are not getting close enough to the entity, I usually stay within under 4km and have no probs. you DO still have to take out the Tholians though, or you will die horribly.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    So now the Mirror Ship spam from Elite is in Normal too ??

Grrrrreat ... ! :mad:

EDIT -- guess I was wrong ... , seems I got placed in 2 Elite missions while I queued for Normal .
    Go figure ... .

EDIT #2 -- nope , I was right , ungodly pet spam in Normal CE .
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited September 2013
    vagius wrote: »
    If they are still going after you that vociferously it may be that you are not getting close enough to the entity, I usually stay within under 4km and have no probs. you DO still have to take out the Tholians though, or you will die horribly.

The event is easily doable at normal if you are experienced and geared. But people keep spreading misinformation. I aggro mirror ships just flying around CE at 3 or 4 Kms. If you fire on CE they instantly come after you. This mission is broken and is getting patched. /thread
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited September 2013
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    If people read the release notes they would see there's a fix on Redshirt for it.

Which means bupkis until we test it. They "fixed" hive too ... And it works so well that almost no one queues for it.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    getabigdogupyougetabigdogupyou Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I have a top of the line gaming rig but I play from southern turkey the massive amount of spam Terran ships has made the event all but un- playable ....

WHETON MOMENT OR WHAT :(
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I have a decent system and my machine stutters somewhat when it really piles on the ships, though it isn't unplayable. My concern is that a lot of the people playing these types of games (mmo's) tend not to always have similarly high end specs and when their frame rate drops to the single digits, they may as well not even exist for all the contribution they have to offer. It still rather sucks to see so many ships at once. Even in my case where my system can handle it, there's so much going on all at once I can barely see what I should target in the mess at times.
  • Options
    admiralteelaadmiralteela Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I just tried it twice. First was an utter failure. Too many MU ships and it turned into a cluster at the spawn point.

Second time was much better. Got close to the entity and didn't let up, I only died once and we were done relatively quickly.

In the first one, someone must have aggroed the MU ships. There were so many and it was impossible to get to the entity without dying. It's certainly not unwinnable at this point, but it could use some tweaking to perhaps make it be less of a cluster.

I only say it's not unwinnable because I don't consider myself an STO expert. I don't do elites and I mainly zip around and play events for fun, so my gear is decidedly ungodly, and I still managed to do well after one bad run.

I can see it being a problem with graphical limitations, though. I myself have an older pc (around 2 years) but it handled everything just fine. I don't have my graphics super cranked up, so that may have also helped.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ok, i dont like to complain about difficulty settings. Things are, generally, at the easy end of accessible and I'm not always avserse to that.

However, this latest iteration of the CE event is getting a bit annoying.

I like the idea that, now, there's some variation to the challenges. I think this is wonderful.

But there's something horribly broken about the mirror universe spam.

I wouldnt care if you suddenly got a ton of ships on you if they didnt respawn.

I'd be a little more happy if they didnt spawn camp you as well.

Clearly a balance issue was missed on play testing, it needs a fix...asap.

Longer its left, the more argument there is for an extension of the event.
  • Options
    edwardsparrow1edwardsparrow1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    so many Mirror ships..........be alright if they didn't keep popping up.

Also might be easier if people just didn't leave at the first sign of difficulties.....
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The changes definitely help the mission out in the fun department.
  • Options
    arclite02arclite02 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I warped into the CE mission today and IMMEDIATELY came under fire from 3 or 4 battleships and a flock of Mirandas.

I think my shields were half gone before my Vesta could even finish launching my first wave of fighters!

NOT a pleasant intro to the new and "improved" mission...
  • Options
    higherfivehigherfive Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Crystal normal & my entire teams dies repeatedly (me included) .. I'm no nub. Can do elite stf's short handed this is total bs.. Not doin' ****e mission till they nurf. Or fudge it - this TRIBBLE turns players off big time..
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    arclite02 wrote: »
    I warped into the CE mission today and IMMEDIATELY came under fire from 3 or 4 battleships and a flock of Mirandas.

I think my shields were half gone before my Vesta could even finish launching my first wave of fighters!

NOT a pleasant intro to the new and "improved" mission...

That just happened to me, and on a couple of other occasions. I'm really surprised whomever did this, didn't program a maximum distance so the Mirror ships wouldn't spawn camp.

But this is what happens when you don't test. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited September 2013
    That just happened to me, and on a couple of other occasions. I'm really surprised whomever did this, didn't program a maximum distance so the Mirror ships wouldn't spawn camp.

But this is what happens when you don't test. :rolleyes:

I have left so many missions lately it's hard to count - almost all for this issue - if I warp in at the beginning - not after its going - and can't move more than 1 km without taking fire from 20 ships - I evasive till out of red alert or disconnect to a different toon.

I don't have time to waste on a mission that will fail. I was just in a normal where there were 100 ships between us and the entity!! No way not to take fire while just trying to get to it. In the first 30 sec the other 4 on my team were dead - yeah not staying for that.

Yeah = epic fail = I am out of there.

Its a hit or miss - some are stupid easy and some are a guaranteed fail.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I have left so many missions lately it's hard to count - almost all for this issue - if I warp in at the beginning - not after its going - and can't move more than 1 km without taking fire from 20 ships - I evasive till out of red alert or disconnect to a different toon.

I don't have time to waste on a mission that will fail. I was just in a normal where there were 100 ships between us and the entity!! No way not to take fire while just trying to get to it. In the first 30 sec the other 4 on my team were dead - yeah not staying for that.

Well think of it, after the patch there will be 25% less of those enemies. :rolleyes:

(Seriously Devs, you can reduce them to 75% and they will still be a major pain.

Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, go fix the wheels that are broken. Defera is full of bugs, Mine Enemy is a major disaster. There are bugs in Colony Invasion with the Diplomats, you got that Scimitars causing problems in the Red Alert and the Starbase Defense. And then there are the other Fleet Actions that need improvement. Go fix them!)
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, I see the MU ships and bail and try again for the other version of the event. One time I stuck to the MU version and all the MU ships just made it to the respawn point and gang-bang the players. Super fun! :rolleyes: Nothing like 10 MU ships blasting you from every angle AND having the CE blasting you with it's purple beam thing too! As they all sit on the respawn point.
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited September 2013

I warp in, if I see MU ships or tykens rifts I warp out right away. Not worth my time dealing with hundreds of MU ships and dying a dozen times. I love difficulty but hate zerg rush and huge hitpoints, powerful weapons, and 1 shot kill you as a difficulty. To me thats not good design, Good design is an enemy that can counter and debuff you, uses buff's of it's own and changes it up so you need more than a single set of skills in the team to counter it and kill it. Good difficulty has sneak attacks you do not see coming, random enemies entering to distract you.

Anyone that claims this even has a good difficulty is a TRIBBLE. Dying allot is not the only or best indicator of difficulty but is a sure sign of poor design.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Well think of it, after the patch there will be 25% less of those enemies. :rolleyes:

(Seriously Devs, you can reduce them to 75% and they will still be a major pain.
    They are reducing them more:

Besides cutting out 25% of the spawn points, the remaining rifts spit out a new ship only about 15% as frequently (the spawn time is bumped up to 10 minutes, meaning that most of the rifts should activate once before it moves on from Mirror ship mode), and once the map switches anomalies (that is, closes the Mirror Ship rifts), the remaining ships should disappear along with the rifts.

On top of that, the ships will be much more likely to attack the Entity and the fragments than before.

So we should see the threat of the Mirror ships drop down to about 10% or so of what they are on Holodeck now.
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited September 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »
    I warp in, if I see MU ships or tykens rifts I warp out right away. Not worth my time dealing with hundreds of MU ships and dying a dozen times. I love difficulty but hate zerg rush and huge hitpoints, powerful weapons, and 1 shot kill you as a difficulty. To me thats not good design, Good design is an enemy that can counter and debuff you, uses buff's of it's own and changes it up so you need more than a single set of skills in the team to counter it and kill it. Good difficulty has sneak attacks you do not see coming, random enemies entering to distract you.

Anyone that claims this even has a good difficulty is a TRIBBLE. Dying allot is not the only or best indicator of difficulty but is a sure sign of poor design.

Normally I am dead set against bailing on team content, however, if I know that it is a futile waste of time that will end in failure - there is ZERO reason to stay unless you are a TRIBBLE.

I only have a limited amount of time AND the event is only on for 3 weeks = there is ZERO time to be in a mission that fails.

Unless they make normal a guaranteed success - then I will be like the rest of you and just bail over and over on this broken content. If they give a penalty for people leaving a broken mission - I will just stop playing - it's that simple.