test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tour the Universe cooldown change -- 4 hour cooldown added *now in patch notes*

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    More like the problem is that if you turn around and "re-define" something as an exploit after it's been in your game for close to 2 years , then your community is going to laugh in your face and call it BS , which it is .
    The devs never said it was WAI before. :P They just didn't do anything about it earlier.

Here's a question for you: How long is too long to wait before fixing something?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Here's a question for you: How long is too long to wait before fixing something ?

Well , my instinctual answer would be "I'm glad NASA was not subcontracting Cryptic , or we'd still be waiting for that landing on the moon thing" . ;)

But isn't the question really "how long before something becomes a permanent feature ?"
    To which Cryptic would answer "It's an MMO , thing change all the time ...(trololol)" .

I'm not sure I can except that .
    (not that I have a choice really ... , but I can choose not to be spoonfed.)

Plus this is not the first change that has irked me .
    Trying to fiddle (split up) the Excelsiors transwarp destinations was another thing that got a huge uproar .
    Changing the Caitian special attack (putting a cooldown on chaining it with other melee attacks) nearly a year after it was out in the market was another thing that put a question mark on Cryptic's "sold services" for me .

If Cryptic can't 'sit down' with it's players and explain their overall strategy so that some of their moves don't strike the players as oh-so-arbitrary-out-of-the-blue , then questions will be asked and comments (perhaps undeserved ones) will be made .
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The devs never said it was WAI before. :P They just didn't do anything about it earlier.

Here's a question for you: How long is too long to wait before fixing something?

There's no statute of limitations on fixing something. There should be one, however, in terms of how long something can exist in public before being called an exploit.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • kblarghkblargh Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    [redacted]
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Since this thread is currently active....

As a new player, I'm not familiar with the history of this mission. When can you currently run it? My initial findings made me think it's only available on special occasions. Is that the case?

The Tour is available for an hour every day, but the exact time is different each day. Press J to see the schedule. You can also check Subspace Agenda below (note the times there are in PDT):

http://subspaceagenda.blogspot.com/
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • jeffreymgeorgejeffreymgeorge Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    frtoaster wrote: »
    The Tour is available for an hour every day, but the exact time is different each day. Press J to see the schedule. You can also check Subspace Agenda below (note the times there are in PDT):

Thanks for that info. There is so much going on in this game that it can be a bit overwhelming!
  • bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited September 2013
    frtoaster wrote: »

Thanks, I was looking for just that sort of information. But that still doesn't justify a four hour cooldown.
    edited September 2013
    are the servers back up yet? :P
  • sneyepersneyeper Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Geez, is this thread still active?

We're keeping it alive, why?

I could point out that this topic is now weeks after the fact.

I could also point out that Cryptic has ruthlessly squashed every single EC or Dilithium farming not-working-as-intended economy-wrecking loophole that rears its' ugly head.

And I could point out that Cryptic has gotten dead-serious about time vs. reward balance that impacts their free-to-play model.

But that would be logical. Carry on.

It should remain active. I have been playing much less recently, and while not the only reason, this stealth nerf to an event I enjoyed to fix a nonproblem did play a bit of a role. Cryptic's reaction was a completely unjustified reaction and while they said they would listen, the fact is they did not and failed to implement a proper and reasonable fix. Consequently, I have failed to buy anything from them since. Failure breeds more failure, or so the saying goes...
    edited September 2013
    sneyeper wrote: »
    It should remain active. I have been playing much less recently, and while not the only reason, this stealth nerf to an event I enjoyed to fix a nonproblem did play a bit of a role. Cryptic's reaction was a completely unjustified reaction and while they said they would listen, the fact is they did not and failed to implement a proper and reasonable fix. Consequently, I have failed to buy anything from them since. Failure breeds more failure, or so the saying goes...

Did Cryptic kill the golden goose by nerfing the tour? It is a distinct possibility. We will have to wait a few weeks to see if people return. Right now it's me and a whole lot of NPC's. :(
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Did Cryptic kill the golden goose by nerfing the tour? It is a distinct possibility. We will have to wait a few weeks to see if people return. Right now it's me and a whole lot of NPC's. :(

Well , right now you can do it within about 20 minutes or less , so you don't have to start at the top of the hour .
    It's been turned into one more cookie cutter lunch break mission , 'cause you just can't do a mission for the a whole hour or ... somewhere @ Cryptic someone eye's will bleed .

You must play what and when and how long as they tell you .
    You must submit ... conform ... obey ... ;)
  • dirlewangerdirlewanger Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    You Must Play What And When And How Long As They Tell You .
    You Must Submit ... Conform ... Obey ... ;)

Resistance Is Futile

Y O U... W I L L... B E... B O R E D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I swear, Cryptic had better reverse this ASAP before the entire Exchange crashes. Truly, Cryptic's greed overrules their foresight.

You think the exchange would be phased by this nerf? How cute. If they did something to the doffs, then we'd all be doomed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
    edited September 2013
    And to add insult to injury, now nobody is willing to hand out DI or RP before the scheduled race times !!! I went to every single sector in the entire galaxy and was ignored in my requests for aid.

So.... the 'elites' have effectively locked out the newer players from benefiting at all from the tour. :mad:

was THAT your intent cryptic?
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    So.... the 'elites' have effectively locked out the newer players from benefiting at all from the tour. :mad:

was THAT your intent cryptic?

Even with common engines you get stock on your ship, you can finish the entire tour in way less time than they give you. So yeah, you are totally locked out. No casual player will ever finish the Tour event again.

Oh the horror.

Oh the Doom.

Oh, wait, except you totally can get exactly the same rewards as the 'Elite' to which you reference. It might take you a few more minutes. But then , they can only get the reward once now, meaning they can't get more than you did for the mission.

yeah, Cryptic really did a bad job balancing that one. All players getting the same reward. How could they?
    edited September 2013
    hippiejon wrote: »
    Even with common engines you get stock on your ship, you can finish the entire tour in way less time than they give you. So yeah, you are totally locked out. No casual player will ever finish the Tour event again.

Oh the horror.

Oh the Doom.

Oh, wait, except you totally can get exactly the same rewards as the 'Elite' to which you reference. It might take you a few more minutes. But then , they can only get the reward once now, meaning they can't get more than you did for the mission.

yeah, Cryptic really did a bad job balancing that one. All players getting the same reward. How could they?

Your argument still doesn't negate the fact that a newer player who does not have DI or RP cannot complete the tour faster, thus forcing users to focus only on their advanced toons. And the four hour cooldown is meant for ???? when we can still switch to alts to do it over and over again? :P
  • l9of20l9of20 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I am one of those players who is a true free to play user. Almost everything that I have bought from the Zen store, I have either done online surveys, traded in dilithium, or actually had the spare cash to get about 500 or 1000 zen to do things with. Going off the fact that I am a F2P user (or silver player), I depended on the Tour of the Universe to gather EC. I had worked hard on gaining the Borg set, and everything needed to make my ship move as fast as possible when going through the Tour. Now I was NOT one of those losers that was "Exploiting" the Tour by flying through one whole sector block, waiting for that tail tell chime to go off telling them that it was done, then flying back to ESD to drop and regain the mission. But, what I was doing was going all the way through it. With the way that I had my ship built, I was able to complete the tour in about 14 minutes. And that WAS with doing the Tour exactly like it was meant to be done. I did this simply because I would use the EC that I had gained to buy better equipment for any new toons that I was working on off my account and the duty officers off that toon as well. I find it to be a total scam from PWE because of this fact. It basically feels like PWE is forcing people to spend more money to buy items like the Lock Box keys (which the math off the boxes are a joke btw. I am meaning the math for gaining a special reward ship from them), then turn around and sell them to other players. That or buy the Fleet Modules and sell them as well.
    C&C of the Federation Outsiders
    edited September 2013
    Have you guys noticed that NONE of the GM's or Developers have posted any kind of a reply since Brandon posted his about the adding of the patch notes about their "prick move" on Ninja Nerfing the Tour? I have been reading everyones posts and replies and we ALL feel the same way. The fact of the matter is that what PWE did was a cowards move. It was a way to punish some people, I understand that fact, but it also drastically limits others in ways that they do not wish nor care to know about.
    edited September 2013
    They said they welcomed constructive criticism, not that they'd do anything about it.
    edited September 2013
    kblargh wrote: »
    They said they welcomed constructive criticism, not that they'd do anything about it.
    Exactly! Constructive criticism is very useful and valuable. but you can't simply implement every idea anyone ever comes up with.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited September 2013
    Right. Only the very dumbest ones.
    edited September 2013
    kblargh wrote: »
    Right. Only the very dumbest ones.
    Yea. Like this issue. I bet you that is was some stupid life member who actually complained and said they were going to cancel and revoke the charges and blah blah blabidy blah if the tour wasnt nerfed like it was.
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    l9of20 wrote: »
    Yea. Like this issue. I bet you that is was some stupid life member who actually complained and said they were going to cancel and revoke the charges and blah blah blabidy blah if the tour wasnt nerfed like it was.

I'll take that bet.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    sneyeper wrote: »

Rumor has it that several moderators tried to close this topic, but that is was reopened at the request of several Universities for Applied Psychology as a study object for the correlation between the internet and diminishing cranial capacity.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited September 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    I'll take that bet.
    Yeah, I know what happens when people do that... they get banned for life.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've still yet to see anything that wasn't already losing value come down in cost of EC's. All the nerf did was cause f2p player's and new player's grief in being able to generate EC's easily. Forcing people to try and lower their prices isn't working to well there Cryptic if that was your intent, instead items potentially cost more or take longer to sell thereby reducing the amount of zen purchases for those looking to make some money.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

edited September 2013
    What, don't you know? That's gonna take a loooong time. Months, years, or something like that - you won't even remember this ever happened by the time the exchange becomes all wonderful, and everyone who's not a TRIBBLE entitled whiner like us is finally vindicated.
    edited September 2013
    I've still yet to see anything that wasn't already losing value come down in cost of EC's. All the nerf did was cause f2p player's and new player's grief in being able to generate EC's easily. Forcing people to try and lower their prices isn't working to well there Cryptic if that was your intent, instead items potentially cost more or take longer to sell thereby reducing the amount of zen purchases for those looking to make some money.

'misery accomplished' cryptic? yesiree :rolleyes:
  • o1derfull1o1derfull1 Member Posts: 294
    edited September 2013
    How in good gravy is this thread still going, and, largely, on topic?

::WARNING:: This game is not intended for use as a source of self-esteem.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    o1derfull1 wrote: »
    How in good gravy is this thread still going, and, largely, on topic?

Every dog has it's day!!! A blue moon must have been out!!! A winter storm landed in hell!!! You get the picture ;)
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

This discussion has been closed.