What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Regarding Arc (closed, necro)

Comments

• Options
    trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Download the client from Steam, link it to your taskbar/start menu and don't load Steam. Its still the old client and does not require Steam to be running (unless you launch it from Steam).

EDIT: The game is f2p, so you don't have to buy it from Steam, just added to Library to download it. Once you've launched it once from Steam you can go to:

C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\StarTrekOnline\Live and create a shortcut to launcher

This does not require Steam to run.
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • Options
    artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    since arc went online, it seems the afk botters have vanished.
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Dont install it then simple

Also I have zero intention of using this unless they make me and then I probably will not play as I hate things like this
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    fredscarranfredscarran Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I guess nobody has asked the big question of why now internet providers are throttling bandwidth.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I guess nobody has asked the big question of why now internet providers are throttling bandwidth.

Why is that a big question? Providing bandwidth costs money. Corporations like to limit their costs.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    portendingennuiportendingennui Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Captains,

This has been a thread merge. There is already a thread in the Galactic News Forum and another thread in the Controls forum about installation feedback. We do not need a half-dozen more threads about Arc. Please keep it down to one thread here in the STO General forum.

~ Bluegeek

Maybe, just maybe, all the threads about Arc are something you should consider, rather than condescend to us and brush it off.

Now, stay with me here.

As a community moderator, maybe you should pay attention to the feedback the community is providing.

/sarcasm

I'm very particular about what software I permit on my machines. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't care, and that's fine for them, but I do care. And this is enough to make me quit a game I'm already playing less and less.
  • Options
    greenspirit4evergreenspirit4ever Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I can't get why so many people are complaining about gaming experience.. Are you guys that lazy that you can't even open up Arc before getting to play STO? pathetic.. Arc gives you the ability to see your friends without having to open up the god damn game.. much better to open up a laucher then a massive multiplayer game just to see who's online.. and it also got a built in chat too.. and remember, it will probably get more features later.. it looks like a cool program/launcher for me and I haven't even tried it yet!

I thought I was lazy.. but it looks like I don't even know what the word lazy means!
  • Options
    greenspirit4evergreenspirit4ever Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Maybe, just maybe, all the threads about Arc are something you should consider, rather than condescend to us and brush it off.

Now, stay with me here.

As a community moderator, maybe you should pay attention to the feedback the community is providing.

/sarcasm

I'm very particular about what software I permit on my machines. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't care, and that's fine for them, but I do care. And this is enough to make me quit a game I'm already playing less and less.

and seriously.. ? you can trust the game but you can't trust the Arc launcher? ever heard of anti virus programs? doesn't look like it.. I have downloaded alot of things before and yes, I got virus from some of it but got it removed... with a good antivirus you're safe from alot of it.. I even download games and programs I even haven't heard of or seen anywhere else..
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I can't get why so many people are complaining about gaming experience.. Are you guys that lazy that you can't even open up Arc before getting to play STO? pathetic.. Arc gives you the ability to see your friends without having to open up the god damn game.. much better to open up a laucher then a massive multiplayer game just to see who's online.. and it also got a built in chat too.. and remember, it will probably get more features later.. it looks like a cool program/launcher for me and I haven't even tried it yet!

I thought I was lazy.. but it looks like I don't even know what the word lazy means!

Okey here....

Now I don't see an issue with a publisher's application that can act as a across-the-board updater/launcher. That's fine with me. I have issues with said program running in addition to the actual game client that I wish to play, because it shouldn't have to! That, from some player confirmation and OCR (i.e. Brandon) non-confirmation, is pretty much a non-starter with me. I have a older system with limited memory. I don't need extra resources taking up my system's memory any more than I have already.

I usually have a browser already running when I play, so that function of ARC I don't want or need. I also have it configured to my liking. Why should I even mess with trying to configure ARC's when I have something good already working?

Granted, seeing those you have as friends is a interesting feature, but we get that already within the game. And considering the interactivity of Cryptic's chat client already, is it really needed beyond in-game?

I don't consider anything I mentioned above as being lazy at all. I look at ARC as being POS Bloatware eventually being shoved down our throats by PWE and I will have nothing to do with it. If you want better detail, look at post #479 in the "Downloading ARC" Thread in the Galactic News Network sub-section.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    timalcosertimalcoser Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I did a clean wipe of windows 8 just to "freshen up" the system and was greeted with the joy of Arc being rammed down my throat.

Has anyone simply tried install Arc, Installing STO, uninstalling Arc and then going into the STO folder inside program files and making a shortcut for the desktop?

Seems to be working for me atm. Patching now.

If there ever comes a time where I cannot play STO without ARC, i'll move over to Steam.

Long story short, I'm not installing a bunch of gaming browsers from all kinds of different companies on my system just to play 1 game. The end.
    To Infinity be with you and beyond!
  • Options
    dhowrdhowr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Read your post and found it most interesting, seems Brandon has been told to avoid questions such as the ones your asking. ARC is nothing more than Chinese Spyware and cryptic has no say so in this matter. Deleted STO and just throwing my last 2 cents in.... ARC is nothing but CHI-COM spyware and 99% of all who continue to allow foreign "ENEMY" spyware onto thier computers get what they deserve. Peopl need to rise up and save this game..... Contact CBS and start complaining about unsafe 3rd party browsers that have no security hardly at all
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    step 1 go to the Arc folder step 2 oping it step 3 move the sto folder out of the ARC folder step 4 oping the sto folder step 5 create a shortcut to the launcher step 6 done man that was hard
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    step 1 go to the Arc folder step 2 oping it step 3 move the sto folder out of the ARC folder step 4 oping the sto folder step 5 create a shortcut to the launcher step 6 done man that was hard

Where is Arc located if it's on my comp anyways? I want to get rid of this garbage if it's there.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    It can be found in Control Panel, in Programs & Features.

I use Vista so I'm not sure what Windows 8 calls it, if it's changed.

And yes, I dumped it, damn thing was mucking up my computer.

Ok, thanks. I don't see it on that list, so I'm assuming I got lucky and put the STO launcher on my taskbar b4 steam could install arc on my computer.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    Where is Arc located if it's on my comp anyways? I want to get rid of this garbage if it's there.

usually program files unless you picked some where else
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    STO's also still available from Steam if you use it already. And here is a pre-Arc installer.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    usually program files unless you picked some where else

I already looked in program files and steam apps but no luck finding it. Where does it install to within C-it's own folder or with steam?
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    I already looked in program files and steam apps but no luck finding it. Where does it install to within C-it's own folder or with steam?

this is the default install path C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Arc look in (x86) if you are using 64bit os
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    arthour07arthour07 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Why must I download this useless piece of software to download Star Trek?

Why?

I've gotten a new laptop, I've come to the site, go onto 'Download' and it tells me I need to download Arc which will then download ST:O automatically. Only it didn't, for whatever reason.
    Now, when I clicked on Arc's link to download ST:O, NOTHING HAPPENS.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I'm tired and angry and was really looking forward to getting back into my game.
    I like shooting tings in mah flyfly space boat <3
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    arthour07 wrote: »
    Why must I download this useless piece of software to download Star Trek?

Why?

I've gotten a new laptop, I've come to the site, go onto 'Download' and it tells me I need to download Arc which will then download ST:O automatically. Only it didn't, for whatever reason.
    Now, when I clicked on Arc's link to download ST:O, NOTHING HAPPENS.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I'm tired and angry and was really looking forward to getting back into my game.
    No need to download Arc. You can get the STO client through Steam, and there's still a non-Arc installer available.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    arthour07arthour07 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ahhhh, that is good to know!

I did however try Arc again though. Un-installed it all (bizzare that I had to kill it before I could un-install though) and re-installed. It seems to working fine, but if it fails again, I will use Steam.

Thank you! :)
    I like shooting tings in mah flyfly space boat <3
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I just figure, if enough people actively refuse to use it, maybe PWE will stop trying to push it on us.

And as long as I'm dreaming, I'd like my prof to forget about Tuesday's calculus exam.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    bluewafflemungbluewafflemung Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    great lost my hard drive now I have to download arc to get the game. I don't think so.
    guess im done. What a bunch of fuuk slaps.
  • Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,408 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have a hard copy of the game.. So if I install with the disk and get the launcher from it will I not have to get ARC? :D
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,408 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So arc is going to become mandatory... So much for the optional idea... And great that they ignored the thousands of posts saying no..
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lexusk19 wrote: »
    So arc is going to become mandatory... So much for the optional idea... And great that they ignored the thousands of posts saying no..

Yep. Two threads with a couple of hundred pages of "NO!" with a smattering of "ok, I guess". I'm quite sad tonight.

And I'm sure this will soon be relegated to the back of the forum in a massive conglomerate thread where no one will ever see it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lexusk19 wrote: »

i still wonder, what this means for steam, are we gonna be allowed to continue using steam for STO?
  • Options
    beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    phoenicius wrote: »
    i still wonder, what this means for steam, are we gonna be allowed to continue using steam for STO?

they already said nothing is gonna change with steam for now so steam users are fine for now.

This discussion has been closed.