test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Regarding Arc (closed, necro)

Comments

• wanderintxwanderintx Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Adding to the chorus:

1. I see nothing ARC offers that I need, want, or cannot obtain elsewhere easier. I can launch the game fine, most days when the servers are behaving, without downloading another program to do it for me.

2. If it comes down between Steam and ARC. I will choose Steam. They have a lot more to offer and are more transparent.

3. If it comes down to ARC only, I will not continue to play STO. Enjoy it, but there's a lot of other games that I can and do fill my time with. They'll just get more attention. No need to play one that forces an unneeded program upon me.

I would imagine that the forum users tend to be a more savvy group then the general player base, so we might be more vocal about this. ARC should be a choice. Keep the big STO with ARC download button if that's what PWE demands, but leave a smaller print link to download and run STO without ARC. It is always the right answer to give players multiple ways to access and pay you to play the game. Choice is good.
  • magdalenagamermagdalenagamer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well, for some reason, on a machine using ARC, the game will NOT recognize all of the mouse buttons on a WOW Cataclysm mouse. On another machine, without ARC, it seems to work fine.
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I will ONLY accept ARK, if , and only IF, I can remove the spyware.

Does anyone know what the spyware is called and how does one remove it?
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited August 2013
    Hi Captains,

Thank you for continuing to post your feedback, ideas, questions and concerns. It's great to see that you all are passionate in ensuring they are addressed. The Arc team sincerely appreciates them, too, and is reading them closely.

I'd like to share that we are working on a blog-type post that will answer many of your questions and concerns, so look out for that over the next couple weeks -- I'll be sure to update this thread when it's live and provide a link to where you can read it.

In the meantime, continue posting the aforementioned subjects so we can be sure to include them in the upcoming post.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Hi Captains,

The "blog-type post" that I mentioned above is now live in the form of a FAQ. It is based off your questions and concerns, and can be read here: https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4274

We'll be keeping it up to date as development progresses and additional questions or concerns arise.

Thank you for continuing to post your feedback, ideas, questions and concerns regarding Arc!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    A few questions Bran Man. About this part here:
    Does Arc feature special profile functionality and achievements?

We?re currently in the process of building a new Achievement system and token shop from scratch. As an improvement to our last system, we hope to make the next version even more compelling by adding both fun and challenging achievements.

Are there going to be STO specific achievements? If so, will they be retroactive for current players? If this is still undecided, my feedback would be that I would like them to be retroactive. Mainly because some of us have been around these parts for a long time now and have some seriously built up characters. Going back to do stuff or being unable to go back and do stuff can be a pain.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Steam support?

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So when we are all forced to use this, will there be an option to shut ARC off after the game launches? And Will I still be able to run the game in window mode so I can access my desktop? I run two screens right now because I can have STO in large window.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • farginaut#6835 farginaut Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So far my experience with Arc has only been terrible. It devours waaaay too much RAM and makes the game crash frequently. I sure hope it's never required to run STO.
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well they said it in the blog, at https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4274

", we would absolutely love to make Arc a central, exclusive platform that serves update and patching functionality for all our games" (Very last section)

As I was here for the account linking fiasco, I know eventually well be forced to use it. But at least for now they say they arent ready for that.

Key word there is EXCLUSIVE. So when they get to that point. Bye bye to Steam and any other launcher. Thats my prediction.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hi Captains,

The "blog-type post" that I mentioned above is now live in the form of a FAQ. It is based off your questions and concerns, and can be read here: https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4274

We'll be keeping it up to date as development progresses and additional questions or concerns arise.

Thank you for continuing to post your feedback, ideas, questions and concerns regarding Arc!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Really that is based on our questions? To me it looks like politik speak. Basically making it look like you've answered our "questions" without doing so. To me it looks like nothing more than a generic "What is....." FAQ.

What about the questions concerning the spyware/bloatware, making it optional, etc? You know the ones that don't make it look so rosey tinted that have appeared in this thread and in the one in the news section.

It is a resource hog that I will not be forced put on my PC and even if that means saying bye-bye to the game so be it. Even some of those that have gone through hell and high water with Cryptic and this game are saying the same thing, thus showing their loyalty to Cryptic and this game. This could be the straw that breaks the donkeys back for them.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    decronia wrote: »
    Really that is based on our questions? To me it looks like politik speak. Basically making it look like you've answered our "questions" without doing so. To me it looks like nothing more than a generic "What is....." FAQ.

What about the questions concerning the spyware/bloatware, making it optional, etc? You know the ones that don't make it look so rosey tinted that have appeared in this thread and in the one in the news section.

It is a resource hog that I will not be forced put on my PC and even if that means saying bye-bye to the game so be it. Even some of those that have gone through hell and high water with Cryptic and this game are saying the same thing, thus showing their loyalty to Cryptic and this game. This could be the straw that breaks the donkeys back for them.

Resource hog? Where are you getting this information from. I use Arc with no problems. It doesn't do any of the bad TRIBBLE that people are whining about, but then again this is the forums and people need to up their post count rate with whining.
  • lordkratos1974lordkratos1974 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ive had issues before with Pando Media Booster before. Its a bandwidth hog. It sucks the life out of your connection. If this is where PWE is heading, i will join the others and never give PWE another look.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    molikor wrote: »
    So far my experience with Arc has only been terrible. It devours waaaay too much RAM and makes the game crash frequently. I sure hope it's never required to run STO.

Can you please share exactly how much RAM does it devour, if you measured it? I'm very interested to hear about this!
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited August 2013
    Ive had issues before with Pando Media Booster before. Its a bandwidth hog. It sucks the life out of your connection. If this is where PWE is heading, i will join the others and never give PWE another look.

There is no PMB in ARC!!! Read the other posts, ARC does not have pando.
  • amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jmaster29 wrote: »
    Ok, I know I'm not the only one thinking this but, say NO to mandatory ARC. This game is the ONLY PWE/Cryptic game that interests me. I'm fine with ARC but mandatory? thats to far. Planetside 2 is a good game so if it becomes Mandatory, Hi PS2. So who else agrees with me? If a Dev could shed some more light on a mandatory ARC it would be awesome sauce:D

You may now DISCUSS....

Well I'm always for Freedom Of Choice, over anything else. Yet it seems as though we don't have that, while on this particular planet.

And sadly, as the days go on, and the Good whither and die, Freedom of choice is but a thing of the past now with today's businesses, Politics, Rules, and basically Everything.

Life on this planet's present Time Era, is , "Do as we say, or do Nothing at all".

Hopefully, this will change someday. Consideration over all else.
  • ariakistoariakisto Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Arc running 24 7 in my brouser seams like spy ware plain and simple. People dont want spy wear. Our Fleet is falling apart after surviving for so maney years with this ARC Mess.:mad::mad::mad:
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Find and buy a old retail version of STO... Bingo... no Arc.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ariakisto wrote: »
    Arc running 24 7 in my brouser seams like spy ware plain and simple. People dont want spy wear. Our Fleet is falling apart after surviving for so maney years with this ARC Mess.:mad::mad::mad:

How is your fleet "falling apart after surviving for so maney(sic) years?"

1) The game has only been out for three years. That's not that many.

2) ARC is only required on new installs. If your fleet has been around for so long, why are they re-installing?

3) It doesn't run in your "brouser(sic)."

4) Why do you think it's spyware? Do you think Origin is spyware? Is Steam?
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Arc is a dumb peice of software (it can't see any reason why you would want to be logged into arc on 2 different pc)
    But cryptic likes sticking us with dumb things so it is here to stay.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    Arc is a dumb peice of software (it can't see any reason why you would want to be logged into arc on 2 different pc)
    But cryptic likes sticking us with dumb things so it is here to stay.

Arc comes from PWE in general, not the Cryptic branch. I doubt Cryptic had much say in adding Arc.
  • twoofnine1twoofnine1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    3) It doesn't run in your "brouser(sic)."

4) Why do you think it's spyware? Do you think Origin is spyware? Is Steam?

#3 yes it does for some reson "give's it a spyware feel"

#4 yes and both are awful programs Origin more the steam

now thats outa the way i do use arc just so i dont have to put in my password every time i play
    edited August 2013
    Arc is a very bad program.

It greatly slows down computers and the other functions that are provided with it are unnecessary. And finally, its only good for players who like to play multiple PW games, which a majority of STO players do not do.

So they should give players the choice if they want it or not.
  • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited August 2013
    all arc seems to be is a way they can advertise their games.

it has no features that seem to do anything for sto. if it had the gateway thing built in it would be cool.. but it doesnt.

you run arc, you then launch sto.. after seeing a whole screen of advertisements :(

plus when you launch STO arc stays in the background and does eat up resources..

just uninstall it, and launch sto from the folder.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    At this point I only want Arc to be officialy declared as 'non-mandatory' for STO and leave it a players' discretion wheather they want to use it or not.

I really don't care about all or for that matter any PWE games and their relation with Arc, that's why I couldn't care less about Arc itself. My only interest is STO.
    Leave Cryptic games out of this and leave STO out of this!:mad:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    twoofnine1 wrote: »
    #4 yes and both are awful programs Origin more the steam
    It's the exact same thing. Same spyware. Steam is just older, and people is so used to have cheap games with them they simply forget everything bad about it. Like how they were the first to ask for an internet connection to play any games (half life 2). Or how they were the first to use your connection data and gaming habit for their marketing.

Anyway, you can launch STO from the STO launcher instead of arc. Somewhere in your STO folder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,185 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have been using Arc since it's original launch (in May) It has never slowed my system down. I have never had any problems with it in any shape or form.

Recently I had to reinstall STO and downloaded and installed it via Arc. It downloaded and installed much much much faster than ever before. STO launches faster so I am now ingame much quicker.

If I should need to look at the forum or contact support I can while still ingame by bringing up the overlay.

I personally recommend it.
  • borgressistanceborgressistance Member Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    a few easy things to slow arc down, disable it, or dont let it use youre bandwith:

1, disable arcs auto start when logging in option, simply, just kick it out of the list wth programs your pc boots.

2, inbound outbound rules from youre firewall.

i did this with pando mediabooster, it cant bypass my fire wall, so it doesnt use my bandwith to boost someone's download, just set the outbound rule to disabled, and it should not bypass youre firewall anymore.

3, search to which ip address arc connects, ( not the game one, the other ip) and block those ip's in youre router. no connection should work.

if arc eats to much resoucres,set a cap on how much the program can use.

or, if youre lucky enough to have the old laucnher, delete a few .dll file's in arc map, arc doesnt start anymore.

in youre browser, set the arc plugin on disabled aswell

all i can think off right now

Ps: i havent used arc, but this are a few ways to disable programs who do the same.also, all on youre on risk, this is not easy, so i dont recommend trying it when you only know the on/off button
    edited August 2013
    I have add no problems running it as well.
  • trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Download the client from Steam, link it to your taskbar/start menu and don't load Steam. Its still the old client and does not require Steam to be running (unless you launch it from Steam).

EDIT: The game is f2p, so you don't have to buy it from Steam, just added to Library to download it. Once you've launched it once from Steam you can go to:

C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\StarTrekOnline\Live and create a shortcut to launcher

This does not require Steam to run.
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    since arc went online, it seems the afk botters have vanished.
This discussion has been closed.