test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Regarding Arc (closed, necro)

jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Ok, I know I'm not the only one thinking this but, say NO to mandatory ARC. This game is the ONLY PWE/Cryptic game that interests me. I'm fine with ARC but mandatory? thats to far. Planetside 2 is a good game so if it becomes Mandatory, Hi PS2. So who else agrees with me? If a Dev could shed some more light on a mandatory ARC it would be awesome sauce:D

You may now DISCUSS....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by jmaster29 on

Comments

• Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Why would anyone quit over a platform like ARC?

Why even care, you install ARC, you launch STO, done.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You already have a launcher for STO. It will be called ARC instead of STO launcher, not a big deal IMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kokushibyokokushibyo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    You already have a launcher for STO. It will be called ARC instead of STO launcher, not a big deal IMO.

Except it is a big issue if you're on a limited data cap because of this:
    And then we have the PandoMediaBooster issue, which was the one that was the cause of the most vehement hostility.

According to what they said, PMB is a constant torrent streamer which is inbuilt into Arc.
    Unless you force terminate it in background processes, it keeps streaming data, which can cap out your data limit or exceed it, resulting in excessive download fees from your ISP.
  • Options
    rutgar151277rutgar151277 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I agree with OP but i think it's better to go on with opinions here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=793581
  • Options
    darkphoxydarkphoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I can't seem to get arc to even run on a windows 8 machine, so if they make arc mandatory they had better get that sorted.
  • Options
    zombiedeadheadedzombiedeadheaded Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Say YES to Steam. problem solved.
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Member, Banned Users Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Already use Steam to launch the game. Don't need or want another launcher.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I use it and its perfectly fine. I have no problems with it, and i can still do the normal launcher route if I want.

Its never a great idea to make anything mandatory and they should avoid doing it if possible, but its simple enough to use.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited July 2013
    Agree with OP ... If they force this down my throat I am done. Ain't no such thing as unlimited broadband.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ARC signs you in automatically. That in itself makes it worth its weight in electrons, to me ;)
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Obviously I agree with OP. Reminds me of the problems I had with The Sims taking up more bandwidth with all the possible internet connections turned off than non-Arc STO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Pando Media Booster has been in STO install for awhile now. This was something done awhile ago to assist in downloading the enormous client and not overload their patch servers. Unless they removed it in the past year or so.

ARC I can live with. Do I like being forced to use it? Not really but it's not something that's going to make me quit a game over.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    vamankvamank Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    Agree with OP ... If they force this down my throat I am done. Ain't no such thing as unlimited broadband.

I dont know where you live but I have a 500 GB allowance. Also I agree with the OP. ARC should not be forced on us.
    Admiral%20sig%202.png
  • Options
    herpeticherpetic Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I installed the new software without needing it because I liked the sound of a media booster. My movies have been playing a little slowly recently and I thought maybe I had a virus or something, but since installing Pando(R)(TM) Media Booster(R)(TM), my movies have been faster, and in higher definition.

I'm glad that PWE have decided to make such an altruistic move, and encourage everyone to install this software.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jmaster29 wrote: »
    Ok, I know I'm not the only one thinking this but, say NO to mandatory ARC. This game is the ONLY PWE/Cryptic game that interests me. I'm fine with ARC but mandatory? thats to far. Planetside 2 is a good game so if it becomes Mandatory, Hi PS2. So who else agrees with me? If a Dev could shed some more light on a mandatory ARC it would be awesome sauce:D

You may now DISCUSS....

Agreed with you, I don't care about ARC one little bit as I'm not even remotely interested in any of PWE's other games. Voluntary use of this thing to me is fine, but if it's forced on us without taking into account the community's feelings on it then I'm gone.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Lol, everytime i visit this forum, Cryptic comes up with something new that makes me NOT want to play their game.

OT: why should i want another programm run in the background, especially something that is able to download things without my knowledge ?
    Who guarantees me that nothing harmful gets on my computer?
    Who guarantees me that i am not getting spied on?
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I play Sto for hours at a time all day some times, my 2 brothers play their Xboxs online my mum uses her laptop all at same time

my Internet never slows neither do I get charged for data on average in use must be about 800gig if not more a month.

I have unlimited broadband so when sense say no such thing as unlimited well sorry but obviously is. .

I'm with Virgin Media so guess when they say unlimited it truly is
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    yreodred wrote: »
    Lol, everytime i visit this forum, Cryptic comes up with something new that makes me NOT want to play their game.

OT: why should i want another programm run in the background, especially something that is able to download things without my knowledge ?
    Who guarantees me that nothing harmful gets on my computer?
    Who guarantees me that i am not getting spied on?

lol, given cryptics illustrious past with sto, and the term security... i would also have a huge problem with this.. but alas, its now been over 2 months since i have logged in, and they keep adding reasons for me not to log back in..
  • Options
    bluewafflemungbluewafflemung Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Lets start a Vote. To get this the hell out of here. Made for us ya right. This program uses Pando Media booster.

(EDIT: Let's not. Petition/voting posts are considered spamming. You may leave an opinion, not a vote. ~Bluegeek)

What is Pando Media Booster?
    PMB.exe is a small application that is installed along with some free-to-use software such as League of Legends, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online, NBC, etc? PMB.exe basically helps the company off-load the responsibly of sharing their media files, patches or installations directly by turning their user?s machines into Peer 2 Peer clients. (Rather than having pushing you a 600MB update file, which actually costs the company money, the users might receive parts of the file from hundreds of other players.)

lets look at the problems across the web.

1. An unsuspecting user that leaves Pando.exe running on their system is pretty much being forced to seed files to thousands of users ALL THE TIME (pando.exe has been reported by users to use up to 80+% of their internet connection?s upload bandwidth.) For some users this could lead to their ISP throttling their connection and/or actually charging them extra $$$ for using more bandwidth than they knew they were using."

2. Pando Media Booster (PMB.exe) listens on TCP ports 443 and 563. People having trouble getting web servers such as Apache, IIS, or others working should consider removing Pando Media Booster. Pando Media Booster runs at startup and takes priority to other downloads. Slowness in downloading or general network performance issues may be related to this product.

3. Everyone that has used PMB says to delete it if it does not give the option to not use it with your game.

Now lets talk about Arc. They say it was created for us.
    According to the trademark filed by PWE Arcs

Goods and Services:

On-line retail store services featuring game software, video games, computer games, game programs, game plug-ins, computer software tools and related merchandise; On-line retail store services featuring physical and virtual merchandise for use by players of on-line games; Retail store services featuring virtual goods, namely, fashion items and accessories, mounts, pets, ships, and other consumable in-game items and functional in-game items for use in online virtual worlds; On-line retail store services featuring physical and virtual merchandise for use by members of an online community in connection with a designated website featuring fictional characters; distributorship services in the field of computer game software, video games, computer games, game programs and computer software tools.

So this is a online retail store.

The class issued by the goverment is that its.

Advertising; business management; business administration; office functions.

So again how is this made for us??

I am starting this in hopes we have enuff response to stop this as manditory for star trek online. I like this game i have a lifetime sub and spend a 100 a month getting new ships and items. I dont want to be forced to quit do to them wanting to implament a version of steam or origin that i never wanted.

vote yes if you agree to not have arc.

Thanks
  • Options
    jarvisbasknightjarvisbasknight Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Coming up with new ways to make you not want to play the game, im glad i'm not the only one that thinks this. We don't need another gaming platform, we didn't need origin when steam was already available, we don't need Ubi-softs platform when origin and steam are already available.

Reminds me of the old IM wars when everyone was trying to install their client on your computer. You will drive people away from the game.
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Signed.

/10 char
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    sardociansardocian Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I thought petitions were against forum rules?
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I removed PMB soon after I did a little research and found that it is not needed to play STO, mainly because it doesn't help with my download speeds and as such, I shall sign your petition.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    defcon1776defcon1776 Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This 'ARC' will be the end of my STO career.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." Q
    Join the 44th Fleet. [FED and KDF] Apply Online: startrek.44thfleet.com
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sardocian wrote: »

Gotta keep the illusion the forums have a point up. Take it to Twitter, I say.
    <3
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just to clarify, this is PWE's little Project, not Cryptic's.

Personally, I've championed this game a long time - given what monetary support I can afford, spent hours upon hours helping to test LoR, recommended the game to friends, and even try to help people in the Steam forums(which is neglected/forgotten by Cryptic and PWE).

I am incredibly dubious about this program - I've been burned too many times in the past by seemingly innocuous programs that do all manner of invasive things without consent or knowledge from the user. I've blacklisted Blizzard ever since their whole battlenet integration into everything. I refuse to go anywhere near Origin and avoid purchases that will benefit EA as much as possible. I have chosen to not purchase several games(like Anno 2070, Heroes 6, etc.) solely because of Ubisoft's U-play 'service'. The List goes on..

If this little ARC program becomes mandatory for STO, it is highly likely that I will drop this game, cold turkey. Not because I don't like Cryptic or the game(quite the contrary, I'm quite passionate about both), but because I refuse to have such a program on MY machine, much less actually use it. Furthermore, I will actively dissuade people from doing business with anything under the PWE 'umbrella', rather than the praise and encouragement I currently dole out for STO.

Ultimately, this program becoming mandatory will drive away and keep away far more 'customers' than it will benefit. I actually think this program will be a great addition if it is an OPTIONAL feature. However, this will have a noticeable impact on the Quarterly Report(s) if things continue down the obvious path this is headed.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

I'm pretty sure they are. The OP has my support in any event.
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    macronius wrote: »

1. I am from Texas and talk the way you type.
    2. Yes there is a such thing as unlimited broadband, it all depends on your service provider. (TimeWarnerCable is pretty good and the cost isn't much)
    3. I'm not worried about the resource drain on my net, have plenty of bandwidth, but I am upset about having extra resources from my rig being used to run an unnecessary launcher. Granted my desktop handles it just fine, my laptop is limited in what it can handle.

All and all I am in favor of The Arc being an option, but forcing it on the players is wrong. For the time being the work around for this is to have a hard copy of the game. (as I do) If a hard copy of the game is not in your reach try downloading the current install package on the install page of the story site and keep it in a safe place. This will shield your from having to download The Arc if you for some reason need to install the game on a new system or reinstall on your current system. At lest until they lock out the launcher completely and force everyone on to The Arc.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    danteandersendanteandersen Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited July 2013

They are... the thread will get locked soon enough.

-END OF LINE
This discussion has been closed.