Regarding Arc (closed, necro)

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Arc is bloatware. Do not want!
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I must have missed something, when was it stated that ARC was going to be mandatory?
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    foundrelic wrote: »
    I must have missed something, when was it stated that ARC was going to be mandatory?

If you're installing STO for the first time from now on you have to download ARC unless there's a way around it (I think I saw a post somewhere that gives a way to install around ARC but I can't remember where)
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,994 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    NO to ARC, I'll stick with steam thankyou
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      If you're installing STO for the first time from now on you have to download ARC unless there's a way around it (I think I saw a post somewhere that gives a way to install around ARC but I can't remember where)

Probably any of the many posts where I've pointed people to a non-Arc installer file.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • Options
      elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      foundrelic wrote: »

Right here:

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1017551
      The Arc Client will allow you to download Perfect World games, and will eventually replace the various launchers, patchers, and download methods we currently offer.
      "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    • Options
      bookrackersbookrackers Member Posts: 20 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      Ya know, Ive been here since before launch. I've dumped dollars hand over fist into cryptic because I wanted to support a game that had the only IP I cared about.

I've seen cryptic fall, fail, get bruised, and fumble. Constantly waiting was I to see if they could redeem their own shortsightedness. Then they sold out to PWE which was about as smart as lending your credit card to a meth head and saying just give it back when you don't need it anymore.

I'm ashamed to admit I was a cryptic enabler, through my monetary support and time invested I looked the other way over the last few years. Not anymore. I cannot support this game anymore in any fashion as cryptic has potentially allowed PWE to suck the fun out of the game in many ways too much of which to list here.

The introduction of the ARC is just another move that will leave the only players of this game speaking Chinese. COH lasted what? 5 years? We all know what killed that game quick fast and in a hurry.

Will I continue to play? Sure, through steam until that becomes no longer viable. Yet this game will not receive anymore money from me. And I cannot guarantee that I will log in enough to care what direction this game goes into if they start dictating new software just to run a game because they want a marketing campaign regardless of the risk of such.

Stop trying to cram things in our face cryptic, you'll keep a lot of players that way. Everyone loves an option.

If they insist on adding stuff and fluff, how about a emoticon that gives you the finger.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      Stop trying to cram things in our face cryptic, you'll keep a lot of players that way. Everyone loves an option.

Cryptic isn't the one behind this, it's Perfect World. Cryptic has to go along with it, because, well it's their boss. :(
    • Options
      neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      Ya know, Ive been here since before launch. I've dumped dollars hand over fist into cryptic because I wanted to support a game that had the only IP I cared about.

I've seen cryptic fall, fail, get bruised, and fumble. Constantly waiting was I to see if they could redeem their own shortsightedness. Then they sold out to PWE which was about as smart as lending your credit card to a meth head and saying just give it back when you don't need it anymore.

I'm ashamed to admit I was a cryptic enabler, through my monetary support and time invested I looked the other way over the last few years. Not anymore. I cannot support this game anymore in any fashion as cryptic has potentially allowed PWE to suck the fun out of the game in many ways too much of which to list here.

The introduction of the ARC is just another move that will leave the only players of this game speaking Chinese. COH lasted what? 5 years? We all know what killed that game quick fast and in a hurry.

Will I continue to play? Sure, through steam until that becomes no longer viable. Yet this game will not receive anymore money from me. And I cannot guarantee that I will log in enough to care what direction this game goes into if they start dictating new software just to run a game because they want a marketing campaign regardless of the risk of such.

If they insist on adding stuff and fluff, how about a emoticon that gives you the finger.

I don't think you know how Mergers and acquisitions work
      GwaoHAD.png
    • Options
      foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
      edited November 2013

Ah.

Well, guess I'll just keep my launcher installed... and back up the EXE I have to a thumbdrive.
    • Options
      garren666garren666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      It doesn't really matter if you like or don't like Arc. The fact it that this POS doesn't work. I have a freshly re-installed Alienware PC, and it took 3 attempts to install Arc before it finally completed. then I had 2 attempts before it would download STO, then it would never actually launch the game, just say that it was trying. 3 repair attempts, and trying all the "work-arounds" in the forums was just as useless. It would never actually run. This is the only PW game that I play, and because I had to rebuild my PC, I now have to use Arc is I want to play STO.

I don;t want any centralized launchers on my rig at all. Not Stram, Arc, or any other POS that some developer and marketing exec on crack thinks will net them more money. For STO, I was willing to deal with it, but since I cannot run the only game I have interest in from this company, I guess I will write it all off as a bad job.

Face it, this launcher doesn't work. Had to suck more than the fact that the product WON'T RUN. You should fix this, or give us back the old clients unless you want to lose your entire play base!
    • Options
      edited November 2013
      Found a work around. I uninstalled Arc. I chose not to uninstall the STO game. In the folder where the game is, C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en there is an application icon called Star Trek Online.exe. Double click this directly, and viola! The original launcher runs, and you can log in. It then begins downloading the patches to the game with the original launcher. If this works, I'll post it. I figured that some 'overall' client that would be a centralized launcher to multiple games would still have gto call the actual game executable to run it.

Assuming this works, just download Arc for the time it takes to download whatever game you want. Then rip Arc out, and launch the game with the exe for it. Again, I will post if this works. If it does, use it quick, and PWE will likely do something to stop this from working, and force everyone back to the crapware Arc launcher.
    • Options
      edited November 2013
      It works! Do this quick to avoid having to use Arc before PWE finds a way to block this!
    • Options
      daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      it works for now........... dont get to happy just yet
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      swimwear off risa not fixed
      system Lord Baal is dead
      macronius wrote: »
      This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    • Options
      protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      garren666 wrote: »
      Found a work around. I uninstalled Arc. I chose not to uninstall the STO game. In the folder where the game is, C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en there is an application icon called Star Trek Online.exe. Double click this directly, and viola! The original launcher runs, and you can log in. It then begins downloading the patches to the game with the original launcher. If this works, I'll post it. I figured that some 'overall' client that would be a centralized launcher to multiple games would still have gto call the actual game executable to run it.

Assuming this works, just download Arc for the time it takes to download whatever game you want. Then rip Arc out, and launch the game with the exe for it. Again, I will post if this works. If it does, use it quick, and PWE will likely do something to stop this from working, and force everyone back to the crapware Arc launcher.

This is what I was referring to in my previous post wherein I stated that there will be a means of launching the game without Arc or Steam (and how I can run STO without even being logged into Steam, although I don't dislike Steam and use it most of the time).

I doubt PWE will be foolish enough to render this impossible; every other game publisher in my experience (and I game a lot, which is still an understatement) who uses a similar launcher program has left this option available, and no justification exists for forcing the use of what some consider "bloatware."
    • Options
      sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      protogoth wrote: »

I doubt PWE will be foolish enough to render this impossible; every other game publisher in my experience (and I game a lot, which is still an understatement) who uses a similar launcher program has left this option available, and no justification exists for forcing the use of what some consider "bloatware."

I've learned over the years to never underestimate human stupidity/foolishness. I hope this will be true though.
    • Options
      caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      macronius wrote: »
      Agree with OP ... If they force this down my throat I am done. Ain't no such thing as unlimited broadband.

I have unlimited broadband....
      " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
    • Options
      mericpxmericpx Banned Users Posts: 17 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      Its never a great idea to make anything mandatory and they should avoid doing it if possible, but its simple enough to use.
    • Options
      neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      Post deleted
      GwaoHAD.png
    • Options
      ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      I have problems running sto through arc. I downloaded it by accident, but decided to try it anyway. Not only did it have a bunch of TRIBBLE I don't want, but sto runs so badly from it. Its glitchy, unresponsive at times, and just flat out bad. So why would you quit over it? How about being unable to play the damn game?
    • Options
      bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      The main glitch I have with ARC (on Windows 8) is that everytime I patch, the launcher won't launch the game the first time. I have to close the launcher and re-launch, then I get in okay.

But I'm used to Win PC annoyances and I'd rather play STO than not, so I put up with it.
      My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
      Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
    • Options
      zerofate74zerofate74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      I just redownloaded the game and came back after sometime being inactive. I was forced to download and install ARC first. This i now find unacceptable. I cant stand when game companies cram garbage like this down my throat. ie origin, steam etc etc. I dont want it, I dont need it. Is it at all possible to enjoy STO without arc? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • Options
      grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      You can currently remove ARC, however, Cryptic/PWE has already stated that eventually ARC will become mandatory for ALL PWE games...
    • Options
      adon333adon333 Member Posts: 304
      edited November 2013
      Well, lol, you can always play STO through STEAM. Other than that however, no, there is no way to play STo without Chinese DRM that sells your consumer information and privacy t o the highest bidder. Arc is here to stay unfort. Edit: Unless ofc you have previously installed STO in which case you can play on without it. When it becomes mandatory h/e I will be switching to STEAM to play this.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
    • Options
      packer3434packer3434 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      Well I can't forget a face but I won't remember y'all.
      Bleed Green and Gold
    • Options
      uncharted2420uncharted2420 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      I, like other gamers don't care about ARC, like many we have made posts, sent in game messages to Admins and developers about ARC, And about the bugs in STO: There is no time line on what bugs are being worked on, what bugs are nearly gone or what bugs can't be fixed at this venture and time.

The odds of us liking Arc is equal to about

A: The odds of 997 thousand to one
      B: The odds on Lindsey Lohan becoming the first female American President with Courtney Love Corbain as her Vice President and Monica Lewinsky becoming the Secretary of state
      C: Visual sightings of the Devil walking into Neiman Marcus and buying out every last Fur coat that the joint has in stock
      Or D: when it becomes legal to TRIBBLE in public and not get arrested for it

And if this post somehow vanishes, I'll just post it again. as hey I understand it's called Free Speech.
    • Options
      spycho2spycho2 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
      edited September 2014
      i run sto through steam because i bought it on steam when it was p2p when it first came out. if one day that changes after being a lifetime member and putting in a ton of money over the last 4 years im still quitting because i will not put arc on my computer it its bloated code and infringes on my computers resorces. i put arc on my comp to get the wrath of khan costume and i disliked it so much i specificly removed it instead of ignoring it. my brother separately came to the same conclusion.
    This discussion has been closed.