test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Regarding Arc (closed, necro)

Comments

• neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    They said if you uninstall STO or get a new PC you would need arc to get STO.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • url1kurl1k Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Let me make sure I'm clear on this. New installs have to be ARC? I would assume you actually have a choice between ARC or Steam. Right?
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    url1k wrote: »
    Let me make sure I'm clear on this. New installs have to be ARC? I would assume you actually have a choice between ARC or Steam. Right?

yeah, you can still use steam.
  • torvinecho25torvinecho25 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    After today's maintenance, my launcher failed to patch for some reason, and repeatedly crashed shortly after start-up. After some tinkering, I finally determined to simply un-install and re-install, as that usually solves these kinds of problems.

Boy, was I surprised when I attempted to install Star Trek Online through the STO website! I was forced to install PWEs new "Arc" program before I could get to STO.

Now...could someone please tell me why I am being forced to install a "parent" application to use a game which I have invested several HUNDRED of my hard earned dollars in? Thus far, all Arc has done is spam me with adds, take up some of my precious PC resources, and waste a good bit of my time. I see no need to have it, I do not want to have it, and I have played STO perfectly fine for the last three years without it.

Cryptic, as someone who has played your game for years now, and invested a pretty solid amount of money in your game, I'm begging you; please, PLEASE get rid of this mandatory Arc install. I'm a huge fan of your games, but I don't want to have to go through a third party application. I'm okay with Steam *only since I play dozens of other games through it*, but I don't want to have to run both Steam AND Arc just to play one game. Please, get rid of this Arc program.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    url1k wrote: »

YES

They dropped that bomb on us last week, in the ARC thread.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Steam is a separate. I do not know if they have discontinued installs via steam (I don't believe so)

In this case, if you go to startrekonline.com you will download arc... then STO.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    They said if you uninstall STO or get a new PC you would need arc to get STO.

Easy workaround (for now): Copy your existing STO folder to a external drive, and copy to new PC (just tested it)...

Works like a charm, no arc
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    SURPRISE !

They told the forum last week ALL new installs/reinstalls would be with ARC as of today.

ARC is a PWE joint (blantant rip-off of Spike Lee's film autograph)
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • alarikunalarikun Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Good luck with that. If you use Steam, you could always just install it through that instead.
    Original Join Date: January 2010
    Original Name: -Gen-Alaris
    Days Subscribed: 1211 (As of May 26, 2013)
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Now...could someone please tell me why I am being forced to install a "parent" application to use a game which I have invested several HUNDRED of my hard earned dollars in? Thus far, all Arc has done is spam me with adds, take up some of my precious PC resources, and waste a good bit of my time. I see no need to have it, I do not want to have it, and I have played STO perfectly fine for the last three years without it.

Cryptic, as someone who has played your game for years now, and invested a pretty solid amount of money in your game, I'm begging you; please, PLEASE get rid of this mandatory Arc install.
    I'm a huge fan of your games, but I don't want to have to go through a third party application. I'm okay with Steam *only since I play dozens of other games through it*, but I don't want to have to run both Steam AND Arc just to play one game. Please, get rid of this Arc program.

So much this ^^. Arc is just unnecessary and nothing but a hog.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If you are prepared for the possibility of an STO reinstall, there is a way around the forced use of this TRIBBLE they named arc.
  • hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    alarikun wrote: »
    Good luck with that. If you use Steam, you could always just install it through that instead.

Is that true? If you play through steam (which I do) you won't ever have to install arc?
  • sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Is that true? If you play through steam (which I do) you won't ever have to install arc?
    I use it through steam.

No ARC.
    edited July 2013
    Actually it was 'mandatory' on Monday. A friend of mine wanted to install STO and was forced into arc (breifly). The arc install went bad somehow and upon uninstalling arc, it wiped out his network setting information and locked him into a perma homegroup/public network setting, with nothing (even his own system) discoverable on the network. Now that's just an awesome incentive to install arc isn't it?
  • trexenostrexenos Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    would uninstalling work? how do i do it?

Edit-if i DID get it on steam(i dont mind arc) would i have to make new characters?
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Erm?...

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=11574191&postcount=42

Boy, I thought that I was being paranoid...
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    cpc2011a wrote: »
    Actually it was 'mandatory' on Monday. A friend of mine wanted to install STO and was forced into arc (breifly). The arc install went bad somehow and upon uninstalling arc, it wiped out his network setting information and locked him into a perma homegroup/public network setting, with nothing (even his own system) discoverable on the network. Now that's just an awesome incentive to install arc isn't it?

Ahh my apologies then I just noticed it today so I didn't realize it was since monday.

As for the others that mentioned that the announcement was placed in the Arc thread, which Arc thread exactly as there have been several. The point is it doesn't matter what Arc thread they put it in, it was NOT made general public knowledge through a separate thread in the appropriate announcements section.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's going to effect us all, really. Not just new customers. We are all just one major bug or critical error away from having to re-install the game because file verifying doesn't always do the trick. I've been playing a month and I've had to install from scratch twice already.
    edited July 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    Easy workaround (for now): Copy your existing STO folder to a external drive, and copy to new PC (just tested it)...

Works like a charm, no arc

Why in gods name would you post that? do you not realise that they'll probably go 'oh we didnt think of that' and try to fix it? Great job....
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My launcher is working fine, patched and ran the game, no Arc.

Don't confuse a transient issue or problem with your computer for forced installation.
  • packer3434packer3434 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    trexenos wrote: »
    would uninstalling work? how do i do it?

Edit-if i DID get it on steam(i dont mind arc) would i have to make new characters?

NO you would still log in to the same account as you use now, the launcher is just steam instead of arc or the current sto one.
    Well I can't forget a face but I won't remember y'all.
    Bleed Green and Gold
  • chainfallchainfall Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Pando is banned from my computer, my security system nukes it as soon as it is installed. If Arc will work without it, I will consider playing PWE products ever again after it becomes required. I won't get into how much money I've spent, but I might as well be a shareholder.
    ~Megamind@Sobekeus
  • rikevrikev Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Out of interest, how does Arc affect those running the game on Linux? I remember the old launcher hated it.
    Hi, my name is Nigel. I'm your group's healer.
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well, what do you know. My my launcher has now been bugged and it can't get past "Patching" now. My only way to play now is to uninstall again. No thanks.
  • joelleyjoelley Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    PMB is similar to a Torrent program.

When your game has downloaded fully, PMB is using your PC as a torrent server to upload the game to other people downloading it.

PMB has the ability to download/upload anything the game company desires, including some potentially nasty stuff.

PWE has used PMB as a download method for years.

Having researched PMB after downloading PWE games in the past, this piece of "bandwidth thiefware" is removed down to the last byte from my PC every time I detect it's presence.

PMB uses your bandwidth to distribute the game, saving PWE the trouble and cost. Looks like ARC will do the same.

If I see ARC on my PC, it will get nuked, just like PMB.

PWE can pay their own distribution bills, I'm not doing it for them.
    [SIGPIC]Patch.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • ussweatherlightussweatherlight Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    PWE should be paying us for hijacking our bandwidth...

"Second star on the right, and straight on till morning."

U.S.S. Weatherlight
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    PWE should be paying us for hijacking our bandwidth...

True, if they make this mandatory I will simply bill Cryptic/PWE for the use of my internet :rolleyes:

Not that it matters, I will gut the program to make sure they get no info from my system. ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2013
    As a friendly reminder, Arc does not utilize Pando. Neither did the old STO downloader for the last several+ months.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • torvinecho25torvinecho25 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Okay, I'd first like to communicate a little bit of frustration with the moderation of the thread(s). While, as someone who has moderated a game on my own, I understand the need to keep things simple, the way you (the mod) merged multiple threads was sloppy, confusing, and difficult to follow. This isn't a personal insult towards the Mod; this is simple feedback from one Moderator to another.

Secondly, this whole debate has gone off-topic. The primary issue is that PWE has forced us to use a "startup" application just to run out "startup" application. While I *appreciate* what this application offers us, I would really prefer (to the point of it dictating my further investment in this game) that it be made an OPTIONAL offer only, and not a mandatory offer.

Also, for my part of this thread (as I was one of the people who started it), I did not request this vote/petition, I was simply voicing my thoughts on the matter and asking others to do so as well. This is not the place for a formal vote process.

Best regards to all, and thanks to Askray and Branflakes for contributing their input on the matter.

- Torvin Echo
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think PWE is underestimating how much gamers hate DRM and spyware programs. If you are an enlightened gamer, you don't even touch Ubisoft or EA games because of the horrendous DRM software that requires a constant internet connection. EA is arguably worse because origin is slow, requires constant internet, and requires an internet browser window to be open (at least with BF3). And considering EA's less than stellar treatment of gamers and gaming companies, I wouldn't put it past them that they're spying on gamer's through origin.

Now, let's go back to the main topic. Both Pando and ARC sound very similar to me. Pando, as others have stated, sounds like a bit torrent program. In theory, it sounds like a great idea because it somewhat offloads the demand on the patch servers to users and their internet connections. However in practice, it's not the greatest idea once gamers find out you're using their internet bandwidth without their consent. Yes, you made us sign a legal agreement, but its standard operating procedure for American companies to use long and wordy legal agreements to confuse consumers into agreeing to them. So please don't retort "you agreed to it" because it will make you sound patronizing and arrogant.

Now, let's talk about ARC. ARC, if the descriptions of others in this thread are accurate, is essentially an online retail store that is in no way relevant to Star Trek Online. It will not make our connections faster, nor will we derive any direct STO benefits from it. It is categorically inessential and intrusive for STO gamers. Intrusive because for steam users it would mean having to load up all of the following: first steam, then arc, and then STO. For people that hate steam, it would mean having to load up arch and then STO even though they already load up STO without needing any other programs.

In a nutshell, ARC smacks heavily of originesque EA spyware and DRM that isn't meant to improve gameplay experience. I'm just waiting for somebody to find out that it does more than just what's overtly stated about what it does and for it to blow up in PWE's face.

It also smacks heavily of advertising spam that is meant to goad gamers into buying PWE nonsense as well as bring them to PWE's other crappy games. NEWSFLASH: Americans don't like telemarketing and we most certainly don't like pop-ups showing up on our screen while browsing the internet. ARC will essentially be a massive advertisement that we have no choice but to look at while loading up STO. We already have to deal with the aggravating lock box winner flybys, which cannot be turned off even if we deactivate it through the settings (thanks Cryptic), and on top of that, you want us to deal with PWE advertisements in ARC when we load up STO?

You know what I say? I'm done with STO if this ARC launcher becomes a requirement. And I'm not kidding. I loved BF3, but I dumped it because of origin. I loved splinter cell pc games but I dumped them because of Ubisoft's DRM software. As much as I love Star Trek and Star Trek Online, I'm through with you if you shove this down my throat because I'm not going to be spied on by PWE, nor am I going to put up with PWE advertising. I paid for this game 60 times over with how much I've invested into it. I think I've earned the right not to have to deal with out-of-game and in-game advertisements.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
This discussion has been closed.