test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

dStahl Talks Voyager

Comments

• v3nnv3nn Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Why there is no "No race of DQ" option?
    Neither I want the delta quadrant to be reachable, nor I want an other specie of that quadrant.
    Not at all playable!
    The only option of a DQ specie to be playable seems to be the Hirogen, because they are already implemented.

The only thing I want of Voyager are things like mission design, optical design or some noticeable reference to the adventures of the Voyager. Maybe some new technology the Voyager spotted in the DQ and now after research its available for usage.
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    "the Undine and the Borg both have technologies and starships that would add some unique variety to STO?s gameplay. You can already get your hands on an Undine ship holo-emitter, but could you imagine commanding a Borg cube? That is some serious firepower. This is the type of topic that consumes many development planning hours and countless boxes of donuts."

A lot of this just seemed to boil down to, 'what can we get in the next lockbox'. Is that what the game is focussed around now?

Other than that, seemed like an interesting discussion, and really looking forward to seeing this Dyson Sphere. :D
  • kirahitomikirahitomi Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Having access to the DeltaQ sounds like I could be fun and open up much original content that's not tied up by legal/licensing issues which would be a nice change of pace (considering all the stuff we'd like to see in game but won't/can't because of said issues).

dStahl you mentioned needing to find a way to have us be able to access the DeltaQ that makes sense, why couldn't the Fed/KDF/Roms build a Graviton Catapult ( http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Graviton_catapult ) to slingshot us there and back?

Voyager used one itself ( http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Voyager_Conspiracy_(episode) ) and brought back the scans on it, Seven of Nine even stated that they could be used to bring ships from the AlphaQ to the DeltaQ.

Seems logical to me, fits cannon and is most definitely Voyager content.

"Lets see what this button does..."
  • feveefevee Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    STO is set in the future of Star Trek, and we already use transwarp to get around quickly. Be it to/from Gamma Oreonis (I don't care if I'm spelling that wrong or not.) or the fleet's gate, or even the fact that any ship can transwarp back to certain locations from any location.

Why can't our playable factions have sent ahead scouting convoys? And now they've finally reached the Delta quadrant and have set up their own outposts; transwarp gate included.
  • rheatitanrheatitan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'd be surprised if no one said this already (haven't read all the posts). how are the Vaadwaur not part of this poll?

old race that like to conquer, subspace passages that allow them to travel vast distances etc etc.

for the record I think there too many races that need to be fleshed out before adding more. e.g. The Gorn
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I voted for the Devore Imperium. I think such an intolerant culture like that would present a great opportunity for gameplay. Especially if they had something we needed and we needed TO SUBMIT TO INSPECTIONS! ^^ Missions where we could help smuggle telepaths past patrols before they degrade in the transport buffer. ^^

Having said that, Dan's points on Voyager species potential are quite valid. I for sure would like to know more about the Kazon and their original enslavers the Trabe. It would also be interesting to find out how that race from the generational ship developed after the forced separation.

I find it difficult to understand why people are voting so strongly for the Krenim though. Especially considering that Annorax clearly made the choice to put work second to his family after the timeline was finally restored. There simply wouldn't be a timeship to encounter. They'd simply be another species to encounter. Certainly, potential for stories, but if people are after a timeline story, I just don't see how Year of Hell's conclusion can be overturned.

Either way, its tantalizing to hear such talk about Voyager-centric content, given the focus these past few years on TNG and DS9. Yes, everyone has their favorite, and by all means we should cylce through series to sample the amazing variety of story potential, but hopefully it's Voyager's time now.
  • bamleybamley Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I live the voyager ship design but with the addition of the vesta class, it made the voyager ship basically obsolete and pointless as vesta so overpowers voyager ship. I would like the developers to make the classic ships (enterprise, voyager, defiant) as strong as possible or match the strong ships (vesta andorian etc) in the game so you can fly those ships at end game. I miss my intrepid. End game requires he newer ships
  • ilanisilanis Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    To go to Delta Quadrant, there are many possibilities :
    - Lost ship like Voyager and Equinox pulled there by aliens would be silly and unpractical
    - Barzan vortex : someone found a way to get it stable
    - Warp improvements : great but in "real" time, this would mean the voyage should take weeks rather than months, not pratical to adapt in game time (unless you want to spend 3 hours to get your ship there), specially as they don't want to go ahead 2409
    - Gateways : My favourite as it would be better way to give challenge (defence strategy, diplomatic base...)

In all the cases, going back to Alpha/Beta or to Delta Quadrant should not be made easy as making a simple transwarp (going back first to the main gateway, or spending 5k dili for examples)

What are we doing there :
    - Follow clues of iconian manifestations as it is the overall shadowing villain of the game story. We could for example find an iconian spatial gateway in the Mol'rihan system (like the one in the Brea system). As this is a "neutral" zone for all factions, it would enable passage to Starfleet, Empire or the Republic. So even if fragments of war between Fed and KDF still exist in Beta Quadrant, DQ would be a neutral zone. As such, the 3 factions could build up a common starbase where intrigues could take place
    - Diplomatic relations (see below) including protecting allies from bigger empires trying to control this area
    - Exploration

Proposition of episodes (unlocked after "Secrets of the Ancients") :
    1. Spatial gateway found in Mol'Rihan system and your ship is selected to discover the destination area, which is a sector that was part of the Borg Collective sphere of influence, but cultures of the area fear bigger empires that rose up a few years after the falldown of Borg in the last two decades (as the area is not a controlled zone, Alpha Quadrant government could expand)
    2. Establishing a base under the terms of DQ Armistice agreements between Fed, Klingon Empire and Romulan Republic (base under construction map, multiple cargo ships arriving)
    3. The new base (nearly finished map) catch the attention of nearby empires that dominates this sector (first attack, other attacks in a multi-faction PVE)
    4. Intrigues in the base between the 3 factions : each with a different point of view find out that the other side tries to take control (in fact an infiltrated Tal Shiar agent's plot to sow discord)
    Then, the base would be a special zone like DS9 where the player will be granted exploration and diplomatic missions (KDF will rather call this "reconnaissance" for future conquests ;) )

Proposition of Delta Quadrant reputation :
    a DQ reputation could be introduced and could give "Alliance points" in order to introduce some kind of optional personal choice for the player.
    DQ rep T1 = 15 alliance points / T2 = 30 / T3 = 60 / T4 = 90 / T5 = 120
    There would be multiple nearby cultures (5 to 10 cultures new or canon species) selected as possible allies (different cultures for Fed or KDF).
    Each could provide different behaviour and services depending on the actual alliance points invested in their culture :
    - at 100 {%}, they would share their biggest secrets and technologies with their trusted ally
    - at 0 %, they won't speak to the player
    - at -10 {%} or below, they will insult the player,
    - at 10/30/50/75 {%}, they would sell common/non-common/rare/very rare items, etc...
    But being friend with a culture would imply negative impact with one or two others cultures.
    Faction status would also have preferred cultures, defensive for Fed, attacking for KDF :

Culture A (pacific, defensive) : +10 Fed / -10 KDF
    Culture B : +5 Fed / -5 KDF
    Culture C :
    Culture D : -5Fed / +5 KDF
    Culture E (aggressive, attacking) : -10 Fed / +10 KDF

Choosing appropriately the location of the area and the proximity with canon empires, could then afford multiple possibilities of enemies :
    - Kazon Collective, Krowtonan Guard, Haakonian Order, Vidiian Sodality, Swarm,
    - B'omar Sovereignty, Krenim Imperium, Alsuran Empire
    - Malon Cooperative, Turei, Vadwaur, Devore Imperium,
    - Hierarchy, R'Kaal Collective

Hirogen, Borg and Undine can also be featured in these areas.

My favourite area would be somewhere in the middle of the Malon Cooperative, Turei, Vadwaur, Devore Imperium (Hierarchy and Krenim are also not far)
  • defraggerdefragger Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    :DVoyager was a great series!.Kate was def a cool captain,it was different.
    I want to thank you for ever so continuously bringing new content:D.But can you please address some of the older bugs for ppl who have waited for months for them to be resolved before moving on?.

Once again,i thank you for keeping a "spark" alive compared to Repitittous games.:D
  • defraggerdefragger Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And Ilanis,i was furiously hoping for a "like" button on your post,lol.You have def done some homework! \ m /
  • cyberpunkfalconcyberpunkfalcon Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What about the Swarm? they were a cool and little know about enemy.

As for travel to the Delta Quadrant don't we have transwarp gates now? Just have the player captain discover a transwarp gate into the Delta Quadrant or have them flung into the Delta Quadrant and using the new technology that they didn't have in the Voyager era to build one!
    Hopefully if they add the Krenim they can at long last fix the mistake that was made with the Chroniton torpedos where every ship in the game seems to be flying around with temporal shields preventing the true damage value of chroniton torps from being realized! This temporal science vessel captain can only hope!
  • lord7tareqlord7tareq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Vidiians always struck me as one of the more interesting hostile aliens. I hope we see more of them. The Phage being cured by the Think Tank could have been simply a lie by them to get Seven of Nine onboard. Or perhaps the Phage has mutated since then and reasserted itself.:)

Out of all the Delta Quadrant species, Hirogen are my favorite though.
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    lord7tareq wrote: »
    Vidiians always struck me as one of the more interesting hostile aliens. I hope we see more of them. The Phage being cured by the Think Tank could have been simply a lie by them to get Seven of Nine onboard. Or perhaps the Phage has mutated since then and reasserted itself.:)

Like your thinking!

Cryptic ... TAKE HIS IDEA AND RUN! Then credit him for his idea ... it would only be right.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • zecozoxx1zecozoxx1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    nynik wrote: »
    I find it difficult to understand why people are voting so strongly for the Krenim though. Especially considering that Annorax clearly made the choice to put work second to his family after the timeline was finally restored. There simply wouldn't be a timeship to encounter. They'd simply be another species to encounter. Certainly, potential for stories, but if people are after a timeline story, I just don't see how Year of Hell's conclusion can be overturned.

One of the oldest tricks in Hollywood: after the inventor dies, a corporation swoops in, buys the rights to his work, and starts the project back up.

This is exactly how the Terminator project got re-started after Dr. Miles Dyson died and the Cyberdyne building was torched. A corporation called "Cyber Research Systems" swooped in and bought all of the rights to Cyberdyne's research (presumably it was backed up somewhere, although I don't think Terminator 3 ever specifies it).

This is a commonly used trope in Hollywood so there's no reason to think STO couldn't steal this storyline....
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I just had to pick Vidiian.

The Vidiians themselves are just plain creepy. They're patchwork people, who'll hunt you down to use as spare parts; won't even kill you first, they'll just leave you lying there minus your eyes and liver.

Also, their ships look awesome (especially the really big one).

Finally, they'd be convenient in plot development terms, since all you need to do is cure them and the problem the present just goes away. Makes for a tidy and totally self contained little story arc (should that be desirable).
  • prophecythirteenprophecythirteen Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I would love to see an Ocampan base (It looked like a utopia on the show and I wonder how they fared without the caretaker). Seven of Nine is a must! lol It would be awesome to hear Jeri Ryan in game and do missions for or with her.

I swear that Vidiian in the picture on Dstahl's post looked at me and I think being hunted down for my organs would be an awesome freak-me-right-out moment like the first time I played that Ophidian mission with that creepy guy calling me Bonniekins. =-S
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
  • alesol27alesol27 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So how did Sela get the Hirogen over to the Beta quadrant again?

Since 30 years have passed since Voyager made it back to the earth, all of the species mentioned could have made many advances in their technology.

I always thought that if the Kazon made it to STO they would still be continuing their factional conflicts. I imagined the Tal Shiar would take advantage of the conflict to start recruiting allies from half/some of the sects.
    The remaining half of the Kazon sects would need a more powerful ally to continue their conflict and would choose to ally with the Klingons.

The Hierarchy and the Devore seem like they would be natural allies of the Tal Shiar. The Hierarchy already possessed cloaked ships and use different cloak and dagger techniques to raid other ships. The Devore's general xenophobia and particular distrust and prosecution of telepaths reminds of the Romulans from TNG

I never really cared for the Malon. Adding the Krenim would be interesting, as some others have commented, it would be cool to have couple of missions involving time travel or an alternate timeline. I definitely would want to know whatever happened to the Vidiians.
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    alesol27 wrote: »
    So how did Sela get the Hirogen over to the Beta quadrant again?

They were kind of already there. Their communications network stretched pretty much all the way back to Fed territory; so, presumably, their hunting grounds had always extended to that region (or at least near it).
  • czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    is heer any reviov of these races, cant recal which one can doo, except kazons which vere so obsolete in technology, so borgs refused them to asimilate. rasists.
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I wish I picked the Vidiians or...

CRYPTIC, INSTEAD OF FIRST PAST THE POST VOTING SYSTEM, COULD WE USE THE ALTERNATIVE VOTING SYSTEM?

(Australia uses it you know!)

That means we can vote for more than one!!!!! :):):cool::D
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The Krenim's ships can be found at the Ex Astris Scientia site.

Also there are the Krenim's foes Anti-Krenim Coalition. It would be quite interesting to have our player characters interact with BOTH of these groups, I'd say.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I enjoyed the Voyager series. Watched all the shows. Some was good, bad, and great. But you get that in all the series.

Ok for the poll.

Kazon - they was ok, but they seem kinda weak. They barely could handle Voyager. What happened to them afterwards. Who knows?

Vidiian - a threat, with the cure. It can go anywhere after all this time.

Krenim - an extreme threat, specially if they got back to their former self. However what Voyager meet the guy was kinda not very hostile. However this can really open up some stuff. For an opponent. However I like the idea of joining them or helping them out. One of my favorites on this list.

Malon - threat, however to see how they did after they got the tech from Voyager. To fix their waste issues. This would be a interesting story as well.

Hierarchy - threat. Another story chances.

Devore - I didn't really care for these guys. I see them kinda boring.

I would love the Vaadwaur. They can be a very nasty threat. Plus with their tech, they can easily come to the other quadrants and do more. That episode left all kinds of story possibles. The other is the Hirogen. That is one of my favorite ones as well. And nasty in the game what we have now.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I voted Krenim mainly for their Temporal Mechanics and those damn Chroniton Torpedoes as well as their knowledge of Temporal Mechanics.

Also, while I support the idea of a Borg Faction...using the Cubes would be WAY to OPed. I would rather instead either see the Unimatrix Rebellion having moved form Cubes to more standard Ship-classes (with maybe a buff to hull regeneration, shield resist+regen, and power generation as their Race Traits and focusing more on Engineering).

As far as Playable/BOff Races for the factions go...

Federation: Ocampa and Talaxian obviously

KDF: Kazon and Vaaduwarr. The latter is that I could see the KDF being where these guys would sign on as they would give them back their former Empire. Granted, they would spend time as a Vassal state or race like the Gorn but I could see this as doable.

Romulans: Hirogen as BOffs mainly (not playable race). I will repeat the reasoning for this. While the Hirogen did sign on with Sela...Hakeev and the Elachi would of messed with them too and Sela would do nothing as doing anything puts her on the bad side of the Tal Shiar. After too much of Hakeev and the willingness to work with the Elachi, I could see some Pack-less Hirogen or full Hirogen packs signing on to join with the Romulan Republic and playing by their rules.

Also, with Iconian Gateways big enough to allow Starships passage, Transwarp Coils, and Quantum Slipstreams...a trip to the Delta Quadrant's edge would be about a month to 1.5 months at most for travel.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    the malon would be cool constintly stopping us to search our ships great way to add interior function to our ships ...
  • evankrossevankross Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hm. Some very interesting possibilities. My friend and I did some fan fiction based in the 2410's and onward. The entire premise was an expedition to the Delta Quadrant. We theorized that the transwarp gates could be targeted to an area, even without a gate at the other end. It'd be a one way trip, but with slipstream its is entirely possible to return. Our thinking was that the Federation would aim for the region of space around Talaxia, and send a ship to construct a gate allowing two way travel.

A couple assumptions that we made were that the Talaxians had gained independence from the Haakoonians, and would be eager to work with the Federation. Something similar could be done with the Klingons and the Kazon, or perhaps another species.

One of my favorite story ideas that we tossed around was having the Romulans get in touch with the Krenim and attempt to use their temporal technology to recover Romulus.

Lots of interesting possibilities. I wouldn't let the lack of transportation be a deterrent as it can be worked around. Just my thoughts.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    :confused: Really?! People voted overwhelmingly for Voyager? I find that hard to believe. It was a chore to sit through most of those episodes. I think the poll was skewed by 7of9's outfits. Or dStahl's vote was counted as worth 1000 player votes. :rolleyes:

Let's do the vote again, but... everyone's vote is weighted by the amount of Zen/C-points they've bought. Sounds fair to me. The more you've supported the game the more your vote counts. :D
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    the phage wasnt cured.

Yes it was, this information comes from the Voyager episode "Think Tank".

Here's where it is stated on Memory Alpha: http://oi43.tinypic.com/4l4zfd.jpg
  • superherofansuperherofan Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I could vote in the poll, but honestly, I could really care less about encountering any of these villains. "Voyager" on the whole was pretty bland, so I feel a big "whatevz" if the next updates are all going to be about that series, especially with so many story plotlines just hanging loose. The Iconian plotline really needs to come to a head. In terms of factions, the only one i would remotely be interested in is the Borg or Liberated Borg, but anything else should take a backseat to the Cardassians, the Dominion, or the Ferengi. The idea of following a "Voyager" character would sound neat, but I'm not interested in any of the one off races.
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Mmm good read.

This is where my borg side of me has to come out just a lil bit. I think it would be great to see a liberated borg faction. I can see the hurtles, since only the Lifetimer's for Startrek Online are allowed access to the species. Maybe have what lifetimers have now for access with the borg liberated species available to anyone for this faction, but for those with lifetime add a lot of new features to the liberated borg species, maybe things like, borg bodies, more unique borg eyepieces (maybe ones that blink ect, good example of different ones would be first contact), unique borg arm attachments(that look like robotic arms attached to your character) might even have special abilities included such as a borg plasma shot or for healers, better healing, and for engineers faster ground repair on turrets or space healing.

It would in adding a liberated borg species be able to have the technology to be able to go through the delta quadrant, and also be able to transwarp through transwarp gates back to locations in the alpha quadrant ect.

Story wise, the voyager crew did help in getting the liberated borg formed and also when leaving the delta quadrant destroyed a big chunk of key things for the borg. The queen was taken out by the future Janeway, and the borg transwarp network also was taken down. Not to say it could not be rebuilt. But there is a lot of story that could be done for a liberated borg faction. Also this faction could be allowed to allie itself with other factions but Id like to keep that strickly unique for the romulan republic.

Now if we don't add in a liberated borg species, there was that new warp technology that harry kim was working on which in the end didn't pan out, but maybe by now research in it has made it possible.. which may allow ships to get to the delta quadrant a lot faster.. but they thing here is, the delta quadrant is very far away, we need that feeling that we are that far from our homes. Having something like we have now, just being attached to a sector wouldn't work. You could do some sort of CGI video clip here where a ship uses the specific new warp technology and hurtles it through space towards the delta quadrant, then the player would simply load into a brand new space sector (hopefully as big if not bigger then what we have now),
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
This discussion has been closed.