test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: Party Amplifier GPL Consumable

Comments

• psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm honestly surprised these items are not one-per-character. Like the anniversary party popper's.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I will spend every GPL I have stockpiling these things. Instant party anywhere. If you don't like it... well, it must suck to be you.
  • grimrak1grimrak1 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Makes me wish I had the spare latinum to buy a bunch of these. I don't normally waste currencies on this type of pointless bauble, but all these hilarious crying threads about it just make me want to be that guy...

You're in luck, latinum is really easy to get. Just trade in your lohlunat favours for latinum, and trade that latinum in for discoballs. Let the party keep on rocking all through the year.
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm very tempted myself to grind another 1000 favors just to trade them in and get more of these things.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have only seen one good use for this ball. In the ground PvP queues there is a few double boxing players. For those who don't know that is a players playing two accounts and the second account is set to support and follow the primary. I have seen this ball use to disrupt a double boxer's second toon because the emotes from the ball over ride some support options. Not sure how well it works at disrupting, but I have seen it throw a few off their game.
    320x240.jpg
  • wildmousexwildmousex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Using this reasoning, can I get a device that causes everyone else in the room to disappear so I can finish my business in peace?

Bottom line: It's annoying. It serves no other purpose. It's like the Mudd ship. Just there because some nerd thinks it's a funny game feature.

I would suggest you try using the captains table for all your star base needs. hardly ever anyone there.. those that are there, are there to avoid dancing, zone chat garbage, and so on - same as you.

personally I like to go there to avoid random fleet invites while i go about my business.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Me playing UT2k4 (red guy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0DnP7wXnU
  • borisvodikaborisvodika Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    There. That's the point. Used in an appropriate situation for a celebration or party, there's nothing wrong with them. In can be the life of a party. But quite a few players, like in the fleet in question, have been observed to use them to single out with idea to pester a single player or group, which is wrong in my opinion. It's got nothing to do with dancing really. The idea behind it is, "I am making the other fellow do what I want." I know it's just a game, but that is a creepy thought and for that alone I'm with the OP on using with restraint.

Besides, how are those phenomena supposed to be explainable? Telepathic persuasion? And what of the ethics. It should be illegal to force someone to do something without their consent. e.g. If you can force someone to dance, what keeps someone from being forced to commit murder...

What the hell are you talking about?
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Are there actually people wa... spending time in this game not shooting stuff or just rushing through menus and log off again? STO doesn't offer anything that would keep me "idle" while not actually doing anything. This is a lunch break grinder. Get over it :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Some people's idea of fun is other people's idea of obnoxious. Can't just leave other people alone?

That's like saying," I'm in the park to read, can you please have your kids play elsewhere I'm getting annoyed." (End whine) You're another one that needs to loosen up, and understand you're in an environment with other people. Maybe if this thing ACTUALLY HARMED your gameplay, I'd be all for limiting it. But it doesn't. I have YET to see ONE example of this thing doing anything more than making 2 visual alterations:
    1> Make all (Well, almost all, a few seem to be immune) PC's and NPC's dance, if they are standing still. However, except in the case of jetpacking/floating, if you're character is using ANY other animation, that animation ovverrides the command to dance.
    2> It makes light streams & confetti-looking things.
    Now, if you're PC is so hard-pressed that ONE disco ball affects your game-play, you need a new PC anyway.
    It doesn't alter anything that you're trying to do. You can talk to people, interact with NPC's, interact with various consoles (all of them), doesn't interrupt already open windows. Nada, nothing.
    And it's not like some objects that can be spammed. There's only 1 allowed within a certain radius. And some areas, of some zones, don't even allow for any at all.

So in summation : If you don't like 'em, don't buy them. But don't impose your whiny attitude on someone else that might be looking to inject a little fun into the atmosphere they are in.
    (*Oh, and btw, I use them more on myself than anyone else, just so I can take screenshots of my characters jetpack-dancing, I think it's a hoot!*)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm in ESD "griefing" right now. I can verify your character absolutely does dance while he's got windows up like the exchange and bank.
    edited July 2013
    havokreign wrote: »
    I'm in ESD "griefing" right now. I can verify your character absolutely does dance while he's got windows up like the exchange and bank.

But it doesn't close those windows, which is really all that matters.

(Some exchange and mail terminals start an uniterruptible "typing" emote, some don't)
    wildmousex wrote: »
    I would suggest you try using the captains table for all your star base needs. hardly ever anyone there.. those that are there, are there to avoid dancing, zone chat garbage, and so on - same as you.

personally I like to go there to avoid random fleet invites while i go about my business.

Now that's just taunting. I've got access to the Table and all the disco balls in the world. That place could use some liveliness.
  • redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To the people using these things, Answer this.

Why when you use these devices do you always place them over Bank and Exchange areas?
    If your at Dronza or other RP areas or on Starbases why not use them near the Bar or on the Dance floor or in in rec areas?
    Why do you insist on deploying them in places by consoles where players are trying to conduct transactions?, or in shipyards where people are trying to equip or change ships? or over the top of Vendors that players are trying to buy items from?

I think I know the answer but would like one of them to admit it.
  • captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There. That's the point. Used in an appropriate situation for a celebration or party, there's nothing wrong with them. In can be the life of a party. But quite a few players, like in the fleet in question, have been observed to use them to single out with idea to pester a single player or group, which is wrong in my opinion. It's got nothing to do with dancing really. The idea behind it is, "I am making the other fellow do what I want." I know it's just a game, but that is a creepy thought and for that alone I'm with the OP on using with restraint.

No is not .Dance burns down calories.

Besides, how are those phenomena supposed to be explainable? Telepathic persuasion? And what of the ethics. It should be illegal to force someone to do something without their consent. e.g. If you can force someone to dance, what keeps someone from being forced to commit murder... [/COLOR][/FONT]

It is not more or less explainable than Q.
  • eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    OP, I'll just point you to my signature, which I blatantly stole from you a little while back. :D

Your post is essentially "I'm annoyed, so you must be as well!".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If you can force someone to dance, what keeps someone from being forced to commit murder...

...and there we have it folks, this thread has officially jumped the shark.
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Why when you use these devices do you always place them over Bank and Exchange areas?
    If your at Dronza or other RP areas or on Starbases why not use them near the Bar or on the Dance floor or in in rec areas?
    Why do you insist on deploying them in places by consoles where players are trying to conduct transactions?, or in shipyards where people are trying to equip or change ships? or over the top of Vendors that players are trying to buy items from?

I would guess because these are the more populated areas.
  • otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I wish it were like a party popper instead of one use item then I can annoy people where ever I go:D:P
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
    edited July 2013
    I use it over the exchange a lot because- wait for it- that's where my friends and I are standing while we use the exchange.

Dun dun dun
  • cyberfoxx01cyberfoxx01 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's "complaints" like this that make me paraphrase the greatest show of all time:

"Just repeat to yourself 'It's just a game, I should really just relax.'"
  • theroyalfamilytheroyalfamily Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    topset wrote: »
    I've had to move to SFA and there's no vendor there :(

The bartenders buy at 50%, so there's your vendor. You just can't buy crappy white ground equipment at SFA, if that's what you're talking about. You can open the lobi store from anywhere by having lobi in your inventory.
  • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    topset wrote: »
    I've had to move to SFA and there's no vendor there :(

Yep, that bartender works fine for selling off junk, and even more exciting...
    One of my engineers just got reassigned to SFA along with her 300 wonderful disco balls.
  • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I just want them to add the ability to shoot the damn things to destruction... that'd make me happy... :cool:
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • zorblackzorblack Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Why won't all these people just leave me alone in this massively multiplayer online video game. I just want to be by myself! *sobs*

Craaawling in my skiiiiin, these wounds they will not heaaaaaal.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Besides, how are those phenomena supposed to be explainable?

Last time I logged into my KDF, I heard J'mpok blathering "There is much honor in the dance. We must demonstrate it anytime we are not busy and underneath the disco ball".

That, and my Fed characters received an update to SFR 99-X, under "proper decorum for uniformed officers", specifically the "disco ball" section... (for those who might be unfamiliar, SFR = Starfleet Regulations)

That leaves the Rommies, and I think D'Tan muttered something about "Tal'Shiar don't dance and Sela don't rock and roll, so we need to..." However, I then heard that the Tal'Shiar held immediate dance classes to cover their trails...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I got be frank here - when that ball goes off MORE people actually runt TO it than away from it.

If it effected functionality I could understand - but it doesn't. Unless you are some sort of hardcoer RPer (lol).

SO - put your dancing shoes on.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No way this is the best thing added the the Latinum store since Gold plated slice bread
    GwaoHAD.png
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited July 2013
    The thing was created so that people could pop it anywhere and get players/npc's to start dancing - it's "working as intended" - that's what the dev's wanted people to do with it.

get over it - it's a game!

Runs off to pop some disco balls

check out the lone white guy on the electric keyboard in an all black band - lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_sY2rjxq6M
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What is the current price of these items?

Can we get them increased to 200,000 Dilithium please? ;)

If your post is anything like "I don't like that sandwich you're eating, stop eating it" it's time to rethink posting...
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    If your post is anything like "I don't like that sandwich you're eating, stop eating it" it's time to rethink posting...
    I love this so much. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Actually, the answer may be, "There's people by the terminals, so I'll use it there." Or it might be, " Hey, I have to use this terminal, let me light off a disco ball while I'm here."
    Was either of those an answer you were expecting? Because I'm PRETTY sure that between those two, that covers why 99% of the people that pick a location to light off a ball.
    And this could be turned around just as much. "Why are you using a terminal, in an area where I want to light off a disco ball?"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
This discussion has been closed.