test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

In-game lag/Server not responding

hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
Having server issues across all Cryptic games. Lots of lag, random connection drops, and some disconnects. Anyone else having problems today?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    gatorsfan10gatorsfan10 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes, I have been having the same issues since last night. The lag is horrible once i do get in.
  • Options
    giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have been getting some minor lag for the past few days, but today it was really bad. It 5min just to login to a character. I tried doing the High Flying daily on Risa and I would keep losing connection or having to wait around 10sec for the game to register that I flew threw one of the gates.
    edited July 2013
    Having this same issue this morning. I'm used to a little bit of lag here and there over the past few days, but this is on a whole other level.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Are any of you Verizon customers? I started having massive lag yesterday, and it looks like there is 10% packet loss at Verizon's interconnect router to pnap in Boston. I dont know if the problem is with Verizon's router or if its just reporting on problems with the link to pnap.

edit--Verizon changed their router config so that it is no longer rate-limiting out, and only rate-limiting in. This makes the problem appear to be upstream from them, although we all know better now.
  • Options
    section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The lag is on Cryptics overloaded servers.... go figure.
  • Options
    axellightningaxellightning Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Same here, BIG lag for the last few days off and on, especially in PVE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    arnthebard wrote: »
    The lag is on Cryptics overloaded servers.... go figure.
    Not this time. I have been rubberbanding in STFs and nobody else was getting any lag at all
  • Options
    giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Are any of you Verizon customers? I started having massive lag yesterday, and it looks like there is 10% packet loss at Verizon's interconnect router to pnap in Boston. I dont know if the problem is with Verizon's router or if its just reporting on problems with the link to pnap.

I do have Verizon FIOS but my internet connection seems fine, my connection is TRIBBLE only when I play STO
    edited July 2013
    gilion wrote: »
    I do have Verizon FIOS but my internet connection seems fine, my connection is TRIBBLE only when I play STO
    Verizon and Cryptic both connect at the Boston PNAP. You wont notice problems with anything else unless they are hosted there too.
  • Options
    tunodtunod Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Funny enough, I'm using Verizon FIOS too. That may well be the problem.
  • Options
    vyristykinvyristykin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm getting lag too. It's definitely not my machine as I had the FPS graph running and whenever there was lag I wasn't getting framerate loss. Also, my connection to the net is fine (did tests and everything). Other games don't lag like this for me, so I'm wondering what's going on.

I also have FIOS, but what am I supposed to do about that?
  • Options
    ridantonridanton Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm also having an issue with lag, rubber banding, server not responding, disconnecting to account server on character changes, and commands not responding for sometimes 10+ seconds at a time.

I too am on Verizon's network. I ran a large handful of speed tests and trace routes to places worldwide. What I found was that there seems to be a bottleneck somewhere on the East Coast US and possibly more specifically, Verizons network itself.

I also game with folks from Europe who are saying that they're experiencing none of the problems I am at all. So in a nutshell I don't believe this bout of lag has anything to do with Cryptic or their servers. Hopefully it'll clear up on it's own soon. If not I plan to make a few calls to Verizon and have them check their network. Given the heat in the North East US this week, if a data center somewhere has lost their air con, I could see that having a negative impact.
  • Options
    gatorsfan10gatorsfan10 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have Verizon FiOS also, and have been dealing with the lag since last night. I can't even play a PVE match it lags so much.
  • Options
    tcostiktcostik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Good to know its not just me. I'm on verizon and experiencing so much lag that the game won't even load.
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Unfortunately, for all the poor victims in this thread, there appears to be a operational 'dispute' between Cogent Communications and Verizon concerning the use of bandwidth. And until this dispute gets resolved, its unlikely that things will get better... Ultimately, you can blame the logarithmic growth of bandwidth demand by Netflix for the cause of your problems...

http://gigaom.com/2013/06/20/verizon-that-peering-flap-about-netflix-is-cogents-fault/

http://www.telecomramblings.com/2013/06/verizon-cogent-tussle-over-peering-and-netflix/

Now if enough Verizon customers complain about this policy and its effects on Internet use....
  • Options
    darthwoodarthwoo Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yep, I'm on Verizon as well. This damn well better be fixed up soon; I'm at 840 pearls on 7 alts.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Unfortunately, for all the poor victims in this thread, there appears to be a operational 'dispute' between Cogent Communications and Verizon concerning the use of bandwidth.

So STO is going to be unplayable to people on Verizon's network (half the country) until a billing dispute with STO's provider is settled. Okay then.
  • Options
    onem4nfunnyfarmonem4nfunnyfarm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yep, also on version FIOS and I'm getting huge instability issues with STO.

So, netflix issue eh? Gotta love bandwidth disputes. Hope they solve this soon.
  • Options
    kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yesterday afternoon/evening I did a speed test to Boston (trouble zone for MANY people having issues and home to Cogent) on a 3 Mbps connection my results were:

Ping: 247 ms
    D/L: 243 Kbps
    U/L: 137 Kbps

Today:

Ping: 154 ms
    D/L: 130 Kbps
    U/L: 220 Kbps

Not a Verizon customer but my ISP uses Verizons pipes here. So yea, things get much worse and I'll be at dialup speeds.

Verizon :mad: Cogent

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • Options
    majorstormmajorstorm Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This is affecting Australia too. started approximately 24 hours from now and there is constant packet loss in game. npcs just teleport around, ships teleport around and animations don't play. Been playing the game nearly 2 months and this only cropped up yesterday. Completely unenjoyable trying to play like this.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    *sigh*

I just can't put up with this TRIBBLE anymore. This game has been plagued with connection issues that either seem to be out of Cryptic's control or they just don't know what the f*** to do.

And this is ONLY with Cryptic or Perfect World games! How the f*** do they stay in business with problems like this? How many players do they lose? How much does business suffer? Considering that they haven't even acknowledged these issues, it must be very little.

I'd better stop before I enter into a deranged rant. But I've had enough of this.
  • Options
    chaoticpaladinchaoticpaladin Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Took me three attempts to login, beam to risa, do my daily flight, barely managed to turn it in before the last one. I am starting to suspect that this is to try and reduce the number of corvettes that will be out there otherwise.
  • Options
    auggiedog1auggiedog1 Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have Verizon Fios and I've been having everyone's problems since mid-morning.

I just got off the phone with Verizon after they checked my computer and internet connection and everything is good.

What are we to do? Is there anything Cryptic can do?

I can't play the game as it is now....
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Two options: everybody on Verizon switch providers, or Cryptic switch providers

Well option 3 is there too, player base deteriotes until nobody is left
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Can I assume that since a Cryptic rep has not chimed in on this thread that it's not a big enough problem to attract their attention yet?

I've never experienced anything like this before in the 2 years I've been playing. I wonder if I'd have similar results in Neverwinter. I might log in there later and take a look-see...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Just checked Neverwinter- same thing :(
  • Options
    billthejedibillthejedi Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    *sigh*

I just can't put up with this TRIBBLE anymore. This game has been plagued with connection issues that either seem to be out of Cryptic's control or they just don't know what the f*** to do.

And this is ONLY with Cryptic or Perfect World games! How the f*** do they stay in business with problems like this? How many players do they lose? How much does business suffer? Considering that they haven't even acknowledged these issues, it must be very little.

I'd better stop before I enter into a deranged rant. But I've had enough of this.

Glad it's not just me thinking this. Every time I manage to find an hour or two to kill to play this game, seriously, EVERY TIME since Legacy launch, there's a "Unexpected Downtime" or a "Emergency Patch!" or "HELP! WE JUST SUCK AT SERVER MAINTENANCE!" glitch, or just flat out an issue with something that's just basically not acknowedlged. Right now it's this lag. I've already cancelled my Gold subscription a month ago, so I don't know what I can do as a consumer to voice my dissent... but yeah, it's ridiculous. I've played a ton of online games, and I don't understand why this one has so many damn problems just staying running!

Oh, and we can pay 125 cryptic points a pop to get a 0.00001 chance to get anything other than 5 lobi crystals, but NOOOO! CBS won't let us have a tier 5 Constitution class (for some reason that makes no sense). What the hell, CBS? WHY do you give any kind of targ's TRIBBLE what people do with their imagination? Is a tier 5 constitution class starship going to damage the intellectual property somehow?

Anyway, done ranting. Seriously, can we players PLEASE have a playable game? EVER?
    dmv5s1.jpg_zpsvjpiwgta.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    From many of the posts on this thread, it seems we Verizon Fios customers are in a bit of a pickle. I've had Fios since 2007 and extremely pleased with the service. Was on the phone with them an hour ago and my connection and speeds are very good.

I won't be switching my service any time soon to accommodate this game. I love ST:O, but come on, please...
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    auggiedog1 wrote: »
    Can I assume that since a Cryptic rep has not chimed in on this thread that it's not a big enough problem to attract their attention yet?....

What do you expect Cryptic to do? Since its Verizon that is throttling the bandwidth, there's nothing they can do about it. And complaining that another company is causing the problems will only attract more troll posts...

(So it looks like Cryptic is Dammed if they do, and Dammed if they don't...)
  • Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Neverwinter has been having the same issues all day as well, and it's also Verizon FIOS players.

I am guessing that we are a small enough group of players such that it doesn't rise to being a level of interest for Cryptic. Either that, or people haven't tried logging in en masse this evening yet.