test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why have a STF for fighting the Borg if nothing is special?

shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
The thought of a STF created for defending and fighting against the Borg is badly incorporated in this game. I mean besides some sub-par kinetic damage from the ground weapons and the ability to re-modulate your weapon quicker and less often do to one whole use full skill and a doff, what exactly is so anti-borg about any of the gear in general? The space gear gets no anything for fighting the borg specifically, they are just mkxii unique goods that are universal against any adversary really. The 20% damage resist against plasma can be had on basic shield arrays so nothing special there, and the assimilated gear set is just a weak attempt at incorporating their technology for our own use but is still not designed to fight the borg specifically so it to is just stolen universal gear with no real enemy in mind behind its design. So I say why the story behind a STF if nothing is really so special when it comes to fighting the Borg?
tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    We are already good at fighting the Borg. We don't need to be better. We easily pew-pew them to death at level 1 and at level 50. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    We are already good at fighting the Borg. We don't need to be better. We easily pew-pew them to death at level 1 and at level 50. :)

Lol while I enjoy your post, it still begs for something more when it comes to fighting off the Borg specifically. To me it seems the nukara reputation gear was a little better thought out for fighting the Tholians (not by much mind you as it too is a bit to universal) than the STF gear for fighting the Borg!!!

• Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The big story behind the STFs is answering the questions from the Starfleet Tutorial that most players forget even existed about five seconds after they reach ESD, like;

Why are the Borg rounding up civilians instead of assimilating them?
    Why did the Borg kill the senior staff on your ship instead of assimilating them?
    Why are some of the Borg seemingly 'disconnected'?
    What's with the Borg that science NPCs on the Khitomer say they've "never seen one like it before"?

And so on...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It's mainly because the whole idea of the STF is a relic from the very early days of STO when we were fighting the Borg at level 40 with nothing but RA ships, no rep passives, no rep gear, no special consoles, and MK X gear. I don't think I even had any purple gear back then. I made do with a few blues lol.

The STF system has been revamped, re-revamped, refitted, and retrofitted several times now to make it fit into the current structure of the game. It's really just from a story point of view now since we can easily demolish a fleet of Borg all by ourselves.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    It's mainly because the whole idea of the STF is a relic from the very early days of STO when we were fighting the Borg at level 40 with nothing but RA ships, no rep passives, no rep gear, no special consoles, and MK X gear. I don't think I even had any purple gear back then. I made do with a few blues lol.

The STF system has been revamped, re-revamped, refitted, and retrofitted several times now to make it fit into the current structure of the game. It's really just from a story point of view now since we can easily demolish a fleet of Borg all by ourselves.

And that is why it begs to be made whole or new again, or just simply removed. I mean you can defeat them with mki common gear if you like a challenge, all that reputation stuff does is give you some mkxii unique goodies that really isn't well thought out when fighting the borg as far as being enemy specific. If it wasn't such good gear for just about any situation there would be almost no point in getting it when fighting the borg because anything will do. It lacks distinction!!!

• Options
    packer3434packer3434 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    And that is why it begs to be made whole or new again, or just simply removed. I mean you can defeat them with mki common gear if you like a challenge, all that reputation stuff does is give you some mkxii unique goodies that really isn't well thought out when fighting the borg as far as being enemy specific. If it wasn't such good gear for just about any situation there would be almost no point in getting it when fighting the borg because anything will do. It lacks distinction!!!

It's not a new statement but new stfs are badly needed. Undine ones would be good.
    Well I can't forget a face but I won't remember y'all.
    Bleed Green and Gold
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The Borg STFs are about finishing the story.

The gear is not tied to the story. The gear is just really good gear you get for doing the story, and it's usable for everything in the game. The rewards don't have to be tied to the foe. I mean, you go back in time and stop B'vat and you get an Efficient Engine. That really has nothing to do with fighting 125 year old Klingons. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    lan451 wrote: »

Great answer, and I agree. STF's have gotten progressively easier as end game gear has improved with the rep trees, fleet system, and cstore ships. Granted, crystalline entity is much more challenging but it requires at least 10 decent players to do and most nights its hard to get enough people just to run a four person STF. Into the Hive is just a cluster fudge and most average players prefer to avoid it (despite it being a 4 person STF). What we need are more challenging missions that force a team to leverage the benefits of each of the three classes and that are reasonably difficult. It would also be nice if there were some random elements thrown into the mix like random spawns at the beginning and a better mix of enemies. As they stand now, STF's are too predictable and too easily won with brute dps alone.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    Great answer, and I agree. STF's have gotten progressively easier as end game gear has improved with the rep trees, fleet system, and cstore ships. Granted, crystalline entity is much more challenging but it requires at least 10 decent players to do and most nights its hard to get enough people just to run a four person STF. Into the Hive is just a cluster fudge and most average players prefer to avoid it (despite it being a 4 person STF). What we need are more challenging missions that force a team to leverage the benefits of each of the three classes and that are reasonably difficult. It would also be nice if there were some random elements thrown into the mix like random spawns at the beginning and a better mix of enemies. As they stand now, STF's are too predictable and too easily won with brute dps alone.

Pretty much, I mean hell I have been enjoying borg red alerts more recently than doing STF's as it provides a nicer playground even if you are still fighting the same old musty borg. But even than I still eradicate borg with absolutely no STF gear or Rep like it was never needed to be designed into the game, and makes me ask why even have the concept of a STF if nothing about it is even special about such a task force?

• Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The STF use to be special. They use to be your couple-hour-long raids. Then S5 comes and they get shortened. After that they are nerfed several times. Levels reduced, damage reduced, NPC mechanics more simple. Terradome was the last of the true STFs, it's gone now. Suppose to return as a revamped one but will probably be ridiculously short and easy.

This is why they need a master mode. Bring back the original versions but even harder than the first forms. Add new mechanics, new npc types, and other stuff only in the master mode.
    This could be the highest level of content that awards things no other STF or mission will give.
    Just something unique.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    packer3434 wrote: »
    It's not a new statement but new stfs are badly needed. Undine ones would be good.

I wish they had an elite romulan one. It rather sucks when I need to blow an hour on rom patrol for 60 marks when the borg showers me with 100 after 10 minutes in conduit. (and gives me 1k dil, because they're just that nice)
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    1. I think Cryptic kept the borg around so that they can use the STF gear as a reason to grind. We all know that Grinding is a religion on STO,...and we all must worship the Grind Gods.

2. I agree that with non STF gear you can beat the borg. But I only play it just because I like playing with other humans on a team (even though sometimes the teams suck).

3. I would like a different borg STF where MACO, OMEGA and assimilated gear is the only way to damage a borg. Something radical so that only those with Assimilated, MACO or Omega gear would be playing the borg STF's.

4. Because I noticed how pointless the STF grind is, I stopped my toon at level 3. So far my MACO set on my JHDC is not as impressive as my Jem'Hadar Set on my Vesta. I feel robbed to be honest that I spent a month working up enough omega marks to get gear that's not that much better than my Jem'Hadar space set (that only took me 1 hour to get all 3 pieces).

That's just my 2 cents.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited September 2013

1) No one really likes 'revamped' content, they want new content.

2) In a game as content light as STO still is nearly 4 years in; removing content that people play on a regular basis (and the STFs are still run by a LOT of folks for various reasons) is NEVER a good idea.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    dark4blood wrote: »
    I have been wondering why the Borg haven't adapted to the new technologies that species have been using in this game? They have assimilated over 9000+ species so adapting to challenges should be a norm, so why don't we have Adapted Elite STF's where diamonds are first introduced without a queen. All the new Borg weapon techniques should also be shown, including tactics. Make these STF's significantly harder, and make mk xii gear a drop item.

Because Cryptic hasn't found a way to make money from it. I've learned in in 6 months of playing this game that if money can't be made from it (or if it can't be something you have to grind for), Cryptic doesn't care about it.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Or, we have already become the Borg. After playing through the Borg stfs a million times, I think we have been trained to be drones.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    Or, we have already become the Borg. After playing through the Borg stfs a million times, I think we have been trained to be drones.

Wheel , meet hamster . ;)
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The special part about the special task force is just the fact that despite the fed kdf war they fight side by side when it comes to the borg.

Not saying the missions dont need to be made harder and that we dont need more - we do. Just saying the question why are they "special" is easily answered. Its basically just a name.