What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Downloading Arc

Comments

• Options
    purvee1purvee1 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Normally I find the Legal threat sort of post amusing, and I've seen lots of them for spurious reasons. But I do wonder.

Note: This isn't a threat, just a question. My current PC could handle ARC, if I wanted it to, but I don't. Of course if my PC breaks and I can't afford it I'll have to go back to my old very poor system...

When arc is forced upon us, what happens if we have a hypothetical Life timer with a very low end marginal system.

As we saw earlier the ARC system requirements seem high.
    System Requirements: Windows XP, Vista, or 7, 512 MB RAM, 1 Ghz or faster processor, 1 GB HD space (recommended)

He has paid for access to the game during its life time. Yet due to ARC hogging his system he can't access the game.

Would that not violate his LTS contract?
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    purvee1 wrote: »
    Normally I find the Legal threat sort of post amusing, and I've seen lots of them for spurious reasons. But I do wonder.

Note: This isn't a threat, just a question. My current PC could handle ARC, if I wanted it to, but I don't. Of course if my PC breaks and I can't afford it I'll have to go back to my old very poor system...

When arc is forced upon us, what happens if we have a hypothetical Life timer with a very low end marginal system.

He has paid for access to the game during its life time. Yet due to ARC hogging his system he can't access the game.

Legally, no as the ToS always leaves the right for PWE to "terminate" such an agreement. That doesn't stop it from being a poor decision.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Could someone please explain to me but what exactly is steam?

A much more popular type of malware than pmb...
    *runs for his life* :P
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    purvee1 wrote: »

One gigabyte space? Steam without the games is 600 megabytes I think. So its even bigger and more bloated than Steam.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    venetar90venetar90 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I had to download arc in order to re download champions onto my new system a couple of weeks ago. I just went into my program files and made a desktop shortcut of the champions executor and I don't have to use arc to bring up the launcher. Hope it stays this way as and optional type thing.
    [/SIGPIC][SIGPIC]
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I got curious reading this thread and checked for Pando Media Booster as soon as I got home and sure enough it really was installed on my system.
    I never gave permission to install it or anything, nor do I know how long it was installed. I deinstalled by now.

I don't have the arc software on my computer btw.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    timelord79 wrote: »
    I got curious reading this thread and checked for Pando Media Booster as soon as I got home and sure enough it really was installed on my system.
    I never gave permission to install it or anything, nor do I know how long it was installed. I deinstalled by now.

Same here.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    richarddoverricharddover Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Like many others, I only play STO. I am not interested in any of the other PWE/Cryptic games. I do not use Steam, or any other current multi-game launcher. Why then would I be interested in Arc? Why in god's name, would PWE/Cryptic want to force those like me to download and install a launcher my STO launcher? Do you guys really think that that will get people to show interest in other games, like some kind of screwed up Stockholm syndrome?
    Offer Arc... fine. Just don't go making it mandatory.
  • Options
    corjetcorjet Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Has anyone counted on how many "Yay's" and "Nay's" are here? Please list me in the NAY column please. I think this is one of those things that are "Good in theory" but "BAD" in actual practice.
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    corjet wrote: »
    Has anyone counted on how many "Yay's" and "Nay's" are here? Please list me in the NAY column please. I think this is one of those things that are "Good in theory" but "BAD" in actual practice.

Too many Nays to count, and I believe I've seen a grand total of two Yays.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    I use Steam, and I'm content with Steam.
    I don't need ANOTHER thing just to run a game I love, especially a glorified launcher. Its not practical to be able to launch multiple games from one launcher if you only play one game that is offered.

Now if you will excuse me... I am going to jump on STO, and switch my title to "Steam Powered", which I got from a Steam starter pack.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    EDIT: Never mind, ARC does not use PANDO.

Still, I consider it unnecessary bloatware.
  • Options
    jjumetleyjjumetley Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Steam + UPlay + Origin + Arc

Why there have to be so many separate applications serving the exact same functionality?
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I just want to give a quick thank you to everyone in this thread. You guys made me aware of Pando media booster, and low and behold, when I looked for it, there it was. Yet I'd never installed, nor even heard of it before. But it does explain why my net was always so laggy for so long and videos didn't always load. I always thought it was just my machine getting old. And now I think about it, it did start around the time I first installed STO.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I do not want this at all.

If anything, I will be far less willing to touch another PWE game because of this aggressive and intrusive PR.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2013
    grylak wrote: »
    I just want to give a quick thank you to everyone in this thread. You guys made me aware of Pando media booster, and low and behold, when I looked for it, there it was. Yet I'd never installed, nor even heard of it before. But it does explain why my net was always so laggy for so long and videos didn't always load. I always thought it was just my machine getting old. And now I think about it, it did start around the time I first installed STO.

It seemed daft to say something practically identical right after, I'm checking for it as soon as I am able, so thanks everyone! P.S. I have steam, so it is a NO from me as well, I only play STO, so no I don't want Arc. You're better off putting the games on Steam, more people will see them there I assure you.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    grylak wrote: »

Pando Media Booster is part of the installation process for STO.

I don't know what, if anything, it continues to do after that point. I pretty much clobbered it shortly after I installed it the first time and haven't looked back since.
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Brandon and/or any other superior player, I have 2 simple-ish questions that , if you want too (please :) ), you could answer?

Does PWE care about people being unhappy; especially to the extent that MANY people are leaving the game, and/or stop paying the one asset that PWE/CRYPTIC NEED: Money?

And you asked for feedback, do you think ARC is well received?I personally think it is not, and add my dislike to the list.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    timelord79 wrote: »

How do I find and remove it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    poisonpoison Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    How do I find and remove it? I don't see it when I search or when I look at add/remove programs.

If it's not in add/remove programs it's (mostly) gone. There may be a few stray registry entries but it's no longer leeching your bandwidth.
    jfsig02.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    poison wrote: »
    If it's not in add/remove programs it's (mostly) gone. There may be a few stray registry entries but it's no longer leeching your bandwidth.

Thanks for the help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,012 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Arc is here. Are you are referring to the possibility that it may be required in the future? If so, we'd love to eventually evolve Arc to the point where it is fully integrated in all of our games, but we're simply not ready to do that yet, as we're still in the experimental, early development phase. First, we want to test it out, add new features, make sure people like it, and, above all else, grow it into something that players want to use because it legitimately improves the overall game experience.

Regarding existing players*, my quote from the other thread when we introduced it still holds true:

*Do note that if you uninstall the game and need to reinstall, or get a new computer, you will need to download Arc to install and launch STO.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I personally started using Arc since you introduced it in May. I have had no issues with it at all. Infact being able to look at the forum or go to the support page while still ingame is a truely added bonus.

Recently I had to do a full factory reset on my pc, thus having to re download STO. on that occassion I downloaded Arc first and downloaded STO via Arc. The download and install time was around half the time than downloading from the website. I can't wait till all the features promised built into Arc become available to use.
  • Options
    greuceangreucean Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I can imagine this thing can be worth something if the user plays multiple games from PWE, but as I only play STO... I definitely don't need it.
    I can understand it being an optional, but "mandatory" sounds very bad in my book. Don't be too surprised if new player registrations will take a huge drop when this comes up.
  • Options
    ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jumpingjs wrote: »
    Brandon and/or any other superior player, I have 2 simple-ish questions that , if you want too (please :) ), you could answer?

Does PWE care about people being unhappy; especially to the extent that MANY people are leaving the game, and/or stop paying the one asset that PWE/CRYPTIC NEED: Money?

And you asked for feedback, do you think ARC is well received?I personally think it is not, and add my dislike to the list.

I too would like to see this answered. Also, "make sure people like it" was one of your bullet points, and I would ask again, if people DO NOT like it (see: this and other ARC related threads) will the obvious plan to make this a requirement to access STO be abandoned or are we just going ahead with it anyway?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Seems I hit a vulnerable system ... :o:eek::D
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

• Options
    gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My opinion on Arc hasn't changed (most certainly do not want!), but I just wanted to post to thank people for mentioning Pando. I checked just now - and there it was. Deleted immediately, and am already feeling the benefits.

Thanks fellow players!
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well, I just uninstalled ARC (since I only downloaded it for testing).

After finding that PMB was part of ARC, I went into my remove programs list and checked for it. Sure enough, there was a new piece of unwanted digital malware to greet me. I subsequently uninstalled said malware - I have enough troubles with our broadband being turned off without this making it happen more frequently. (EDIT: Disregard that entire paragraph! I was misinformed. I just performed an experiment to see whether PMB was coming from the ARC install and it certainly DID NOT. I must not have noticed it previously.)

I won't revoke my previous defences of ARC, as they were correct, but this...

Not going to happen. I'm serious. Saying that, I still have my CD copy of the game from launch, so I shouldn't have to concern myself with this particular part of a circle ever again, unless I'm doing Maths.

In short, my defence of ARC remains as it was, but my overall opinion has changed; DO NOT MAKE THIS MANDATORY.

Thank you for your consideration.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Well, I just uninstalled ARC (since I only downloaded it for testing).

After finding that PMB was part of ARC, I went into my remove programs list and checked for it. Sure enough, there was a new piece of unwanted digital malware to greet me. I subsequently uninstalled said malware - I have enough troubles with our broadband being turned off without this making it happen more frequently.

I won't revoke my previous defences of ARC, as they were correct, but this...

Not going to happen. I'm serious. Saying that, I still have my CD copy of the game from launch, so I shouldn't have to concern myself with this particular part of a circle ever again, unless I'm doing Maths.

In short, my defence of ARC remains as it was, but my overall opinion has changed; DO NOT MAKE THIS MANDATORY.

Thank you for your consideration.

You have seriously worried me now

• Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ryan218 wrote: »
    After finding that PMB was part of ARC, I went into my remove programs list and checked for it. Sure enough, there was a new piece of unwanted digital malware to greet me. I subsequently uninstalled said malware

Gee, I guess PWE Branflakes is misinformed by the ARC Dev team as he has stated unequivocally that Pando Media Blaster isn't a part of ARC. (link) (I mean the STO Community Manager wouldn't knowingly be trying to mislead the STO playerbase to promote a new piece of PWE software, would he? <--- An honest question if what the poster I quoted above has stated is in fact true.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
This discussion has been closed.