What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Downloading Arc

Comments

• Options
    apedilbertapedilbert Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This whole thing sounds like a step back if you ask me. What I really want is my Champions Online account and STO account merged without having the content deleted from either; tired of having two separate accounts with the same MMO company. Work on that instead of software no one wants.
  • Options
    suntarusuntaru Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    PWE wants to shove this down our throats like Sony did to quite a few games. We all know how well that went over. Gaming companies and players leaving Sony. Looks like PWE wants to put a nail in the STO RIP coffin. PWE really does not know what the players and gaming community really wants or needs. They just want to keep shoving TRIBBLE at us. I really wish Paramount and CBS would step in and tell PWE where to go.
  • Options
    agc1agc1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    so I download arc and I get that it is in beta but I do have a few questions...1 I hate the in game chat and I don't want ts3 or pay for that so will you include a better team speak channel?..2 will it be updated to have stuff for STO in the store I saw only other TRIBBLE I would not buy as STO IS the only game I play? if not then I am unloading it as it will serve me poorly if at all like the last
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Add me to the growing chorus of No Thank You...

It's a new trend: gaming companies that all want to start their own platform. For the longest time, there was just STEAM, which is the *only* platform I have running on my computer. Then came EA with their Origin, suddenly also wanting to promote their own (far more abusive/intrusive) buggy spamhouse platform. And to them I say the same thing as I say to Cryptic: No Thank You!

Don?t forget! All current Arc users will soon be able to enjoy exclusive offers and giveaways

And this is the sort of passive-aggressive promotion technique that only ticks your existing customers off to no end.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm gonna go ahead and assume that, because everyone is so anti-Arc, it's going to be implemented. ;)
  • Options
    mktormktor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The day I have to download arc to play STO is the day I wont be playing STO anymore. I don't want to know about pw other game deals or store TRIBBLE or any of the gazzilion other things it will be used for. I put up with the current iteration of pw site stuff as I like STO.

As a lifer I accept certain realities with the pw buyout... I've never played nor will I ever play a pw made game, and this is one step to far for me.
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited July 2013
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    zecozoxx1 wrote: »
    Can someone from Cryptic please confirm that this nonsense will NEVER be forced upon people who play the game through Steam?

This is bloatware and spyware that offers no benefit to me.

It wasn't created for me, because I don't want it, and didn't ask for it.

I launch the game through Steam, or I don't play the game. Period.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Add me to the chorus of disapproval. I play through Steam. This works perfectly for me, and nothing Arc provides gives any sort of benefit. I tried one of PWE's other games before trying STO (which meant I didn't need to merge my accounts, thank goodness), got bored about half an hour after getting out of the tutorial zone, and uninstalled it. A quick look at their catalogue seems to show nothing but a collection of cookie cutter fantasy RPGs, and something new that looks like it's trying to be Age of Empires. Not interested in any of those. I play STO for the Star Trek, if it was Perfect World: Space, I wouldn't be playing.

So to summarise:

1. I already have a program that does everything Arc does, but better.
    2. The only thing Arc provides (linked access to PWE games) does not interest me in the slightest.
    3. If this becomes mandatory for all players, the only way I will continue to play will be if I can find a reliable work around, such as installing from my disk copy. Kahless help you if you take STO away from Steam, just so you can shove this unwanted piece of junk onto our hard drives.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • Options
    trexelcat#9733 trexelcat Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So, 35 pages later the consensus seems to be, no. No one wants this Arc TRIBBLE. Are you still going to go through with it? Yep, most likely.

I still have my original install disk, you gonna still force this Arc TRIBBLE on me too should I decide to reinstall?

My computer is already taxed as it is just playing the game(slightly older laptop). So now you have to make a choice. Do you actually want money from me because I was actually planning to buy some Zen in the near future, or do you want that money to go elsewhere that isn't your pocket because I had to get a new computer because of your bloatware?

I'm not voting with my wallet, just giving you the cold hard facts.

No to Arc.

EDIT: My reply kinda started page 35...
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Brandon, for the love of Trek, I get that you're the messenger in this whole situation, but you might as well do it bothways then. I understand that PWE is the 'boss' company, but go and tell them how your customers feel about it. Take the cartoon with Duck Dodgers sawing off the branch he's sitting on to help them understand if they are that much confused as they seem to be. This will not help PWE get more players to play their other games, this will drive people off STO. Many paying customers from what I can see from the forum titles in this thread.

Understand this, I have no beef with Arc as long as it's optional forever. However, the latest developments regarding Arc have been anything but reassuring that Arc will remain optional. I can understand that some people might find it usefull and that's cool, but I and many others don't and we don't apreciate the attempt to shove it down our PCs.

I have seen what Arc is suposed to offer the first time it was mentioned. Remember back then, the reception of this was about the same as it's now. You should try to tell PWE to learn from their mistakes before they get burned, and Cryptic Studios with them.
    So, I checked it out and I'm telling you - there is nothing and I underline nothing which Arc offers that can be of any use to me.
    I don't have time to play more than one MMO, I'm a working man with a job, real life and many other things to consider besides gaming. I'm here because of ST. If I'm to try out other PWE games being promoted, that would mean that I'm leaving STO, cause I just don't have the time nor want to play a dozen of games.
    I don't need to track what my ingame friends are doing, if I need to I'll ask them, they're my friends after all. :rolleyes: Nor do I think that any of them needs to know wheather I'm buying tullaberies on Vulcan or drinking Deka Tea on Bajor.
    Another browser? Really? Just what I need! :rolleyes: As if the existing companies that are dedicated to creating web browsers and have a history of experience don't have any troubles keeping them safe. You'll excuse me if I really doubt the capability of PWE to create a safe and smooth browser given the previous experiences. Besides, I don't need nor I want additional browsers, I'm fine with what I'm using now, how many do you think I need?
    Transfering Zen between games also does nothing for me, since I'm only playing STO.
    And last, but not least - personal notification. An in game notification system. I really hope it isn't what I'm reading, but if this means that I'll be receiving in game pop-ups about anything and everything that's the absolute dealbraker.

You see, I believe that if something aint broken there's no need to fix it. I'm satisfied with my current launcher, it does exactly what I need it to do - gets me into STO. I don't care about anything else in the little availible time I have to spare for gaming . I want to get into the game and have fun for a while, not watch PWE promotions and comercials or spying on what my friends are doing.
    I could live with Arc if it just launches my game and completely shuts down. From the requirements I saw regarding it, it seems it'll keep runing. I don't need nor want it to keep runing while I'm playing my game. It will do nothing for me besides use a portion of my PC resources. I could live with it if it doesn't install spyware and malware like that pando media booster thingy I just found on my system thanks to other players, which I had no idea was there and I was never asked if I allow that on my PC.
    So again, why would I want Arc on my system? It does nothing beneficial for me, it just drains my PC resources for nothing. Maybe you should tell PWE that if they are so interested in making something for me - the customer, they should first ask us - the customers what we need or want.

In conclusion, please transfer the message that this must remain optional. If someone likes it and has use for it - great, but if like in my case it does nothing I need and I'm cool with what I have there should be the option not to use it.
    Many of us here are Trek fans and would tolerate much because of Star Trek, but please tell PWE that this doesn't mean that we're fine being treated like idiots that would take anything just to be able to play ST. Do not underestimate the intelligence of your own customers. Maybe it's time for you to open the windows of the fantasy fortress PWE lives in and show them the real world - and in the real world there are several high quality and very expected titles entering the MMO scene over the next 6 to 8 months. They really don't want to be pissing off their paying customers at this time.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Agreed with the consensus hear, ARC = REALLY, REALLY BAD IDEA.
  • Options
    chris919ukchris919uk Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Brandon.

I realise you are only the messenger here and in no way do I hold you accountable. However could you please convey to your Iconian Overlords that I have no plans to accept your Arc software onto my system period and this move is going to potentially alienate your entire fanbase.

Now I do accept this is a PWE only scheme and not brought to us by Cryptic but I have to be frank here, I don't care for it one bit.

I already use Steam as well as Uplay and while I don't particularly like either of them I will suffer their presence because I understand a publishers desire to safeguard their intellectual property from potential piracy.

However and heres the thing, Star Trek Online is free to play so PWE need Arc for what reason exactly?

To force more ads down my throat? The advertising does the job effectively enough already. While I am FTP and not a subscriber, I do actually spend a fair amount of money when I want to in this game like a lot of other players. I support the devs and the game financially because I enjoy playing it.

To install Pando Media Booster malware on my system? Because lets face it to those of us with limited bandwidth thats all PMB actually is.

To help me browse more effectively? Nope sorry I'll stick to Firefox thank you.

To keep up to date with the latest information for Star Trek online? Well lets be honest maybe if you guys posted a little more effectively in the forum and were just a little bit more in touch with your fanbase I wouldn't have to go to Twitter and Facebook to get up to date info anyway. Thats not really a dig at you guys, just an observation.

To influence me to try other PWE games?
    Not likely to be honest. I used to enjoy playing Champions Online but given the devs or PWE's apparent apathy in designing new content and actually supporting that game I'm afraid I don't play it anymore. Used to love that game too.

Now I'll be completely fair to you Cryptic I love playing Star Trek Online despite some of the problems that exist in the game and with the flaky servers, but if you force me to install third party junk on my system I'll be looking to other games like the upcoming Star Citizen for my Sci Fi MMO fix although I would prefer not to because I love Star Trek.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon, taH pagh, taH be"
  • Options
    twelveparsecstwelveparsecs Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just in case you didn't get the idea of what people think of this ARC programme, I will add my opinion for you.

Ready?

Stick your ARC up your black-hole so far that you look like this --->:eek:

... mmmmmmkay? :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great kid, don't get penisy!
  • Options
    donbodonbo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    After a little over 34 pages of postings here are the numbers:

Postings that actively said NO to Arc: 123

Postings that actively said YES to Arc 5

Postings removed: 10

Brandon replies/announcements: 6

Comments of a general nature such as dealing with the media player, recovering launcher files, speculation of what might happen and describing experiences from CO, Steam and others....: 164

Postings that posed actual questions: 26
  • Options
    ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    donbo2 wrote: »
    After a little over 34 pages of postings here are the numbers:

Postings that actively said NO to Arc: 123

Postings that actively said YES to Arc 5

Postings removed: 10

Brandon replies/announcements: 6

Comments of a general nature such as dealing with the media player, recovering launcher files, speculation of what might happen and describing experiences from CO, Steam and others....: 164

Postings that posed actual questions: 26

you have way too much free time

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • Options
    donbodonbo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    waiting for a telcon to start needed to do something...lol
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    I don't have time to play more than one MMO, I'm a working man with a job, real life and many other things to consider besides gaming.
    TRANSLATION: You are not PWE's target demographic, and your opinion means exactly zero to them.

Sad but true, as I happen to completely agree with everything you said. :(
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    doalxkdoalxk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think this is a relevant analysis of the response to Arc.
  • Options
    captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't need another game company launcher program on my system, especially since I only play TWO of the games via Steam. Even my EA/Origin stays offline due to I have all of their games running through Steam. As long as it stays optional I'm fine, I just don't need any more company specific engines running around on my computer.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • Options
    ridantonridanton Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Regarding ARC

I don't want ARC, my PC doesn't want it's resources being used by ARC. I have no use or need for ARC.

When I first learned of STO I was playing a PWI game called Forsaken World. It was OK, not great but it was F2P. Then one day in early 2012 I saw an ad for a game that I had no idea existed or that PWI had bought and was taking F2P. That game was Star Trek Online.

Now prior to seeing that STO had been bought by PWI, I had tried other PWI games. I've played Forsaken world, tried Perfect World, Jade Dynasty, War of the Immortals, Battle of the Immortals, Torchlight, Rusty Hearts and RaiderZ. In other words, before I even knew of STO I had tried and discarded almost all other PWI games as something I have no interest in. Some of the games that came out after STO went F2P I loaded up to have a look, but again I found no interest in any of them. The only MMO I play or want to play is STO.

I believe what you have here is a fan base of people who play one type of game, what I'd like to call an MMO Space Opera. None of the other offerings from PWI come anywhere close to the same genre. The games are completely different not only in content but presentation. I personally don't think you'll find many people playing STO who would have an interest in the other PWI offerings.

After all I've just said, can you still not understand why I (and many others) have no want or need for ARC? We're not idiots, there's a button at the top of every web page related to PWI labeled "All Games" that lists... well... all games being pushed by PWI. I'm pretty sure we've all noticed that button by now, hovered over it, maybe even clicked a few links to see what a game is about. But we're still here, still playing STO. ARC won't change that, it'll just annoy people.

One other thing to keep in mind. MMO's are very grindy, very time consuming. I'd say 99% of the people who play an MMO play only one for that very reason. If ARC does what it's supposed to do, and gets people play other MMO's, you're doing nothing more than sending your own players away. That just doesn't sound like good marketing to me. Unless of course the good folks at Cryptic have absolutely no say in this at all. In which case this smells of one company trying to forcibly take customers from another. If that's the case, and people start to believe it, that should make for some great PR down the road...

In short I'm asking, as a customer, for you to not make ARC mandatory.
  • Options
    sammaelussammaelus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Another useless bloatware PoS. No, thanks. You better make it optional, lest you want the portion of fanbase with actual working brain continue to play your game. We have steam we have origin, we have the bs i don't even remember how it's called from konami and sony. Do we need another useless moneysucking app like that?

No, thanks.
  • Options
    tiberius1980tiberius1980 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This is absurd!!!! I sure as hell didn't want this launcher, and I certainly didnt expect to come back from holiday to find my STO wont work cos this stupid update has ruined my installation!!!! Well, thats it, one more epic farce like this and I shall be uninstalling for good. Great game by far, but just too much behind the scenes meddling!
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The updated /download page is now live: http://sto.perfectworld.com/download

Please do note that the images on the left side will be updated in the near future.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Dont you just love fence sitters,splinters ahoy ;)

Dont expect anything other than the Party Line answer to any and everything asked about the relevance of ARC.
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tinead51 wrote: »
    Dont you just love fence sitters,splinters ahoy ;)

Dont expect anything other than the Party Line answer to any and everything asked about the relevance of ARC.

Why does this whole affair remind me of O'Brien's trial on Cardassia?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    ncweber00ncweber00 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ugh, I was afraid this would happen eventually. I realize that Arc is being used to maintain social connectivity between your games, but the thing of it is, not everyone who plays your games uses Windows. And Arc will not function under WINE in Linux, which is all I use. I feel I shouldn't have to shell out for a operating system I despise just to play STO. There are already some pretty awesome games I'm locked out of from other companies due to hack protection programs (which (a.) won't run under WINE, and (b.) don't protect the game from hackers anyway). There have been a couple of PWE games that have really intrigued me, but because of Arc, I can't play them. Right now, I'm limited to Champions Online, Star Trek Online and Neverwinter. If you change it so that I have to install Arc. Then, I'm done. Not that I won't want to play the games, but I will never use Windows ever again except under requirement for work.

Perhaps, if you would work with the WINE HQ database to try and make this thing work under WINE, it would help. A better idea? Make Linux native clients of your games. I realize that last one is a bit of a pipe dream, but hey, I thought I'd throw that out there. I mean, if Valve is willing to take a gamble...
  • Options
    kpg1usakpg1usa Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    STO Team,

I can no longer launch the "launcher" for STO from either the old STO launcher, the new ARC launcher, or even the STEAM launcher. Please tell me what I need to do to login to this game.

Thanks! :)
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2013
    kpg1usa wrote: »
    STO Team,

I can no longer launch the "launcher" for STO from either the old STO launcher, the new ARC launcher, or even the STEAM launcher. Please tell me what I need to do to login to this game.

Thanks! :)

Please try the workaround that is linked towards the top of the forum in the red ">>Having trouble..." text.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2013
    Hi Captains,

Thank you for continuing to post your feedback, ideas, questions and concerns. It's great to see that you all are passionate in ensuring they are addressed. The Arc team sincerely appreciates them, too, and is reading them closely.

I'd like to share that we are working on a blog-type post that will answer many of your questions and concerns, so look out for that over the next couple weeks -- I'll be sure to update this thread when it's live and provide a link to where you can read it.

In the meantime, continue posting the aforementioned subjects so we can be sure to include them in the upcoming post.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    That should be an interesting read.

How will you address the fact that this topic is 36 pages of people telling PWE Arc is a bad idea?

Time for a dose of brutal honesty brandon, if that post is all praise and no mention of how much we (the players) disapprove, then it will be dismissed as propanganda and lies.

No matter how much you talk it up, neither you or PWE can change our opinion.

And honestly, what can they do?
    Stop us playing STO because we refuse to use Arc?

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
This discussion has been closed.